the question joe d supporters wont answer

kmnj

In his first draft-his rebuild -why did he draft a qb in the 4th round when the team has holes all over the place? It was a total waste of a pick. What is the strategy for that pick? We used a pick on a guy that is not even able to supplant a dead flacco as our back up. It is not as bad as the hackenburg pick only because it was a 4 not a 2

Folks get all excited about us getting round 5-7 picks when we waste a 4 

If the Joe D plan is to "build through the draft" why waste a 4?

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 7
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

In his first draft-his rebuild -why did he draft a qb in the 4th round when the team has holes all over the place? It was a total waste of a pick. What is the strategy for that pick? We used a pick on a guy that is not even able to supplant a dead flacco as our back up. It is not as bad as the hackenburg pick only because it was a 4 not a 2

Two QB sets - f*ckin' genius.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

You’re right, fire him on the spot 

• Haha 1

This was my big complaint on draft night. 

Hated the Morgan pick. Hated it. Was my least favorite pick my a mile. 

My philosophy has always been that your first 4 rounds should be used to draft guys who can immediately contribute and I doubted very seriously that Morgan would contribute this year. 

Now, if Morgan was already the backup, things would be cool. We would have already seen him on the field. But the fact that they apparently have no intention of playing him this year (he's been behind White on the depth chart all year) just means to me that we should have used our 4th rounder on someone else. 

The Davis pick also looks bad right now. Hopefully he plays better. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Because after a certain round, the best thing you can do is draft BPA and clearly they felt that Morgan was the BPA at the pick. We also happen to have a need for a long-term backup QB. He also could turn out to be a diamond in the rough should he actually be given an opportunity to compete in the next few seasons. 

If we are able to trade him for a Garrapolo type of deal 3 years from now are you going to come back and bump this thread or will you just remain silent and forget this ever happened? 

• Upvote 1

NOt sure what JD's thought process was, but at the time of the draft, 6 months ago, nobody thought we would be bad enough to be in the Lawrence / Fields sweepstakes.  So you draft a QB in the 4th round.  If Darnold had a good year and looked to be a guy we would extend, then it would be nice to have a back-up on a cheap rookie deal.  If Darnold struggled this year, then we have a 4th rounder with a year on an NFL roster to compete in 2021.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was a questionable move since we appear to be positioned to draft a QB high in the draft.  At the time, I was not thrilled with the move, but I understood it.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Because after a certain round, the best thing you can do is draft BPA and clearly they felt that Morgan was the BPA at the pick. We also happen to have a need for a long-term backup QB. He also could turn out to be a diamond in the rough should he actually be given an opportunity to compete in the next few seasons. 

If we are able to trade him for a Garrapolo type of deal 3 years from now are you going to come back and bump this thread or will you just remain silent and forget this ever happened? 

if joe d thought morgan was the bpa -I have even more fear than I did before-

I have no problem eating crow-if Joe D got some great deal for him I would actually eat a dead crow off the road -throw some ketchup on it and we are good to go

You want to ask a serious question to Joe Douglas supporters?  Try this:

What was the ******* plan at CB?  Desir is an abomination.  As bad or worse than Trumaine Johnson.  They traded a pick for Quincy Wilson who can't see the field.  They traded for Hairston.  He couldn't see the field, got cut and now resides on the Ravens practice squad. 

Last year they ran with Maulet who has been hurt and Canady who they let walk to the Cowboys and then opted out.  The inability to improve on that is mind numbing.

Austin (Mac pick) looks pretty good.  I am pleasantly surprised, particularly after his 2019 benching and inability to see the field thereafter.  Still a durability concern.  Hall has not seen the field.  Will he?  I don't ******* know, but they can't have been counting on him.  Obviously a durability concern and basically a complete unknown.  I like the UDFA pickups, but they are not guys you expect to play meaningful minutes as rookies.  If you were counting on these guys, you are a lunatic.

The group is one baby step above the 2014 group that got Rex canned. A ******* atrocity.  I am no Gregg Williams fan, so I don't really give a sh*t, but this is B-A-D.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

I don’t even think that any potential tanking plan has to do with not drafting for the short term.

After the first couple of rounds he was pretty evidently trying to draft players to fill important roles - of which backup quarterback is certainly one - for the following year. Short term depth and a plug in the following season.

Douglas clearly views the draft as a way to build depth and the Jets had no long term quarterback on the roster besides potentially Darnold. Ergo, drafting a quarterback he liked in the fourth.

Davis for Maye, Zuniga for Jenkins, Perine as a committee back stepping into hopefully the #2 role, Morgan as a backup quarterback. 

Whether or not it works remains to be seen but it’s logical to try to have replacements in house. Requires less spending on FA’s, less scrambling, gives better depth in the short term, guys know the culture and system when they step into starting roles. Backup quarterbacks are expensive. If Morgan can do that it’s a big cap savings.

That’s the kind of stuff quality organizations do.

It is also, in my opinion, the way John Idzik tried to do things. I’d rather have somebody who has a plan and does things the right way than the alternative, but doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a good GM. Needs the picks to hit.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

south park beat a dead horse GIF

maybe because finding talent at the QB position puts your franchise in the best possible long term spot? Maybe because there is uncertainty with Darnold’s future in NY? Or maybe Morgan was too good to pass up on JD’s board? First year GM grabbing a QB in his first draft. Oh the horror!

Since we’re playing the question game, I have one for you: does posting the same negative crap every day soothe or inflame your butthurt? My guess is the latter.

so you think morgan is talent at qb that is going to put is in the best long term spot? He is so great he is 4 on the depth chart and by the way we are probably drafting a qb next year lol

I post negative crap because I have earned that right by owning numerous psls and having attended over 300 games-if fans tolerate garbage we will be left with garbage

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

I don't know.   He has a press conference this afternoon I think, so you can ask him then.    Maybe he thought Morgan could be a viable backup after this year once Joe flacco is gone.    Maybe he made a back pick.  Maybe he wants to watch the Jets burn to the ground.  

Another Question is, 

4kvnc5.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

I don’t even think that any potential tanking plan has to do with not drafting for the short term.

After the first couple of rounds he was pretty evidently trying to draft players to fill important roles - of which backup quarterback is certainly one - for the following year. Short term depth and a plug in the following season.

Douglas clearly views the draft as a way to build depth and the Jets had no long term quarterback on the roster besides potentially Darnold. Ergo, drafting a quarterback he liked in the fourth.

Davis for Maye, Zuniga for Jenkins, Perine as a committee back stepping into hopefully the #2 role, Morgan as a backup quarterback. 

Whether or not it works remains to be seen but it’s logical to try to have replacements in house. Requires less spending on FA’s, less scrambling, gives better depth in the short term, guys know the culture and system when they step into starting roles. Backup quarterbacks are expensive. If Morgan can do that it’s a big cap savings.

That’s the kind of stuff quality organizations do.

It is also, in my opinion, the way John Idzik tried to do things. I’d rather have somebody who has a plan and does things the right way than the alternative, but doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a good GM. Needs the picks to hit.

how about drafting a wr when the team has no weapons and lost our best wr in the offseason

why put your hopes on a jag like perriman

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You want to ask a serious question to Joe Douglas supporters?  Try this:

What was the ******* plan at CB?  Desir is an abomination.  As bad or worse than Trumaine Johnson.  They traded a pick for Quincy Wilson who can't see the field.  They traded for Hairston.  He couldn't see the field, got cut and now resides on the Ravens practice squad. 

Last year they ran with Maulet who has been hurt and Canady who they let walk to the Cowboys and then opted out.  The inability to improve on that is mind numbing.

Austin (Mac pick) looks pretty good.  I am pleasantly surprised, particularly after his 2019 benching and inability to see the field thereafter.  Still a durability concern.  Hall has not seen the field.  Will he?  I don't ******* know, but they can't have been counting on him.  Obviously a durability concern and basically a complete unknown.  I like the UDFA pickups, but they are not guys you expect to play meaningful minutes as rookies.  If you were counting on these guys, you are a lunatic.

The group is one baby step above the 2014 group that got Rex canned. A ******* atrocity.  I am no Gregg Williams fan, so I don't really give a sh*t, but this B-A-D.

I think the honest answer is a mix of band aids and some wishful thinking.  The moves haven’t been pretty, but they have all been stop gaps. One year deals and taking fliers. You can’t fix everything in a single offseason.

I fully expect CB is a priority in FA and with one of their top 5 picks in the first three rounds.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, kmnj said:

joe d supporters won't answer? dumb

I am very high on Joe D but didn't like the Morgan pick and still don't. Would have loved to have seen a WR taken in that spot. I don't like that he didn't resign Anderson either.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, kmnj said:

do you really think a 4th rounder would have made any difference?  as for picking a qb, maybe he was already getting skeptical of darnold and felt morgan could be a guy who can be effective with a season or two on the bench.  who else do you think the back up should be going into the future?  fales?  flacco?  white?

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Jets GMs haven’t hit on any first round picks for the last like 15 years let alone a hit on a 2nd round pick. JD looks like he got an All Pro in the first and a good receiver in the 2nd. But this guy is calling for his head cause of his 4th round pick ?

right.  and don't forget perine looks good as well as mann.  if clark, zuniga, hall and davis become solid starters then douglas can draft all the qbs in the fourth round he wants as far as i'm concerned.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Because he isn’t building a team geared to 2020, he is thinking long term. Also there is reason to believe the 2020 draft is the best we’ve had in years.

• WTF? 1