DJ LeMahieu/ State of the team

Smashmouth

On 12/19/2020 at 3:23 PM, section314 said:

Read an article that said Tanaka's old team in Japan wants to bring him back and match his salary with the Yankees.

Cashman was interviewed recently and a bunch of topics were brought up and he was very honest.  Said things like Gleyber was overweight last year etc

When Tanaka was brought up he awkwardly said he wasn’t going to discuss that

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, Philc1 said:

Infield is a need because LeMahieu is a free agent.   Sanchez’s tender is $6 mil a drop in the bucket.

I agree they need a top pitcher.  

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

The Mets recently contacted D.J. LeMahieu, which could set up a New York-New York battle for the Yankees’ best player two years running.

This would be sweet! Add Bauer, Japanese pitcher and Springer and were good to go. 

50 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jon Heyman

@JonHeyman

The Mets recently contacted D.J. LeMahieu, which could set up a New York-New York battle for the Yankees’ best player two years running.

This would be sweet! Add Bauer, Japanese pitcher and Springer and were good to go. 

McNeil could move to the OF I guess. 

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Or 3rd base. JD in outfield. Cano being out is very helpful. With DJL would be the lead off guy that would set everything up for the rest of the lineup

Wouldn't that squeeze out Gimenez?  And we've already got JD Davis, who I assume we'd trade (or make a DH, should the NL have that going forward).

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Can Lemahieu play 3rd? Would prefer McNeil to stay at 2nd. Seriously doubt Mets too interested in LaMahieu, though. Much bigger priorities.

Maybe just playing mind games with Yanks or DJL agent trying to get the Yankees back to the negotiating table. I think he’d like to stay a Yankee vs. being a Blue Jay

• Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Maybe just playing mind games with Yanks or DJL agent trying to get the Yankees back to the negotiating table. I think he’d like to stay a Yankee vs. being a Blue Jay

No reason for the Mets to chase Lemahieu. They have a cheaper and younger player in Mcneil that gives them the same thing. This either a favor to an agent, or the Mets are trying to distract the Yankees from other players

• Upvote 1

On 12/24/2020 at 7:01 PM, Scott Dierking said:

No reason for the Mets to chase Lemahieu. They have a cheaper and younger player in Mcneil that gives them the same thing. This either a favor to an agent, or the Mets are trying to distract the Yankees from other players

Or Lameheiu is actually excellent 

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Who isn’t as good

He also hasn't played in the friendliest of ball parks for half his games like Lemaheiu has.

Lemaheiu career away stats:

I Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+

Away 573 528 2288 2099 250 575 90 9 37 204 34 16 142 366 .274 .321 .378 .699 794 69 10 21 16 7 25 .314 78

McNeil Career stats

Year
Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos Awards
162 Game Avg. 162 669 600 89 191 41 5 20 76 8 6 45 80 .319 .383 .501 .884 139 300 7 19 3 3 3  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Cherry picking career away stats?  

I would hardly call 2,100 career at bats (half of his career), "cherry picking". Are we supposed to ignore half his output, particularly as it demonstrates that he has been very productive at Coors Field and Yankee Stadium, 2 of the friendliest hitting parks in the league?

If I truly wanted to "cherry pick" stats, I could tell you his career at Citi Field (which, BTW is where the Mets play):

93 at bats, .290 BA, 1HR, 6 RBI, .327 OBP, .398 SLG .725 OPS. 

Thanks, but no thanks. Particularly for a 32 year old player and at that money. Let the Yankees overpay him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I like DJ, but this is a lot of $. Personally I would rather they use that $ elsewhere and move Torres back to 2B.

So we can have a roster of players who consistently strike out and are not able to hit top fight playoff pitching ?

DJ is one of the only contact hitters on this roster and in a clutch situation there is no other player I would rather see up at bat and its not even close

If the Yankees want to win a WS they need to stop letting top pitchers go to the Rays and the Blue Jays (who are quickly catching up to the Yankees)

The formula is Sign Trevor Bauer before the Blue Jays do or some other contending AL team and sign DJ to a 5 year deal. Honestly I'm sick and tired of watching Cashman think he can win a WS with a bunch of Homerun Hitting strike out machines. They feast on bad pitching inflating their stats but when they run into the Verlanders, Mortons, and Probably Bauers of the world they can't hit to save their lives. They lost to Houston a few years ago because Houston got Cole ( A known Yankee fan) and Idiot Cashman let it happen. For that matter he even let Verlander slip through his fingers. Also knowing Morton was a Yankee killer Idiot Cashman let him go to the Rays ? Cashman has the money to out duel anyone in FA yet he constantly gets out dueled. Right now besides Cole the Yankees have a a bunch of unreliable oft injured starters. 

Bottom line you want to win a WS ya better have 2 top front line starters relying on the bulpen year after year is starting to get old. Every playoff team in the Al has a better starting staff than the Yankees and that's what wins series. 

On 12/28/2020 at 11:55 PM, Maxman said:

I like DJ, but this is a lot of $. Personally I would rather they use that $ elsewhere and move Torres back to 2B.

I want DJ back too but with the Rays trading away Snell the Yankees have a chance to have the best rotation in the AL if they sign Bauer

we could then sign a lesser but at least serviceable player to start at SS or 2B

On 12/30/2020 at 6:45 AM, Philc1 said:

I want DJ back too but with the Rays trading away Snell the Yankees have a chance to have the best rotation in the AL if they sign Bauer

we could then sign a lesser but at least serviceable player to start at SS or 2B

I would Love Bauer but Cashman is an idiot 

Cashman having yet another stellar offseason 

Greg Allen Cant hit cant drive in runs outfield defense lol what a ******* joke Cashman is. With Frazier improving his defense to the point of a Gold Glove Nomination and Hicks and Judge in the outfield why do we need a guy who can't hit at all who should never replace any of those guys in any capacity ? 

DJ still not signed I mean WTF are we lowballing the best over all player on the team and the only real contact hitter we have ? I'm glad the Yankees are leaning towards the Metrics with a line-up that strikes out at a bigger rate than any team in baseball. 

The Yankees are a good organization because they have the money to hide all the stupid mistakes Cashman makes but when it comes time to spend real money on real pitching they turn away. Honestly I'm shocked they signed Cole but Bauer and DJ are the Keys to a WS not all the home run hitters that always fall short vs the top level pitching.

While this may not be popular Trade Sanchez and Torres Sign Didi to play short DJ plays second Higashioka who is ten times the catcher Sanchez is can help this staff in a big way then with the money saved dumping Sanchez and Torres you bring in Bauer and a good hitter for average and you win a WS. With the run production we have if you keep adding pitching like was did in the mid 90's with Key, Cone and Wells you win a few WS just like we did back then

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Greg Allen Cant hit cant drive in runs outfield defense lol what a ******* joke Cashman is. With Frazier improving his defense to the point of a Gold Glove Nomination and Hicks and Judge in the outfield why do we need a guy who can't hit at all who should never replace any of those guys in any capacity ? 

DJ still not signed I mean WTF are we lowballing the best over all player on the team and the only real contact hitter we have ? I'm glad the Yankees are leaning towards the Metrics with a line-up that strikes out at a bigger rate than any team in baseball. 

The Yankees are a good organization because they have the money to hide all the stupid mistakes Cashman makes but when it comes time to spend real money on real pitching they turn away. Honestly I'm shocked they signed Cole but Bauer and DJ are the Keys to a WS not all the home run hitters that always fall short vs the top level pitching.

While this may not be popular Trade Sanchez and Torres Sign Didi to play short DJ plays second Higashioka who is ten times the catcher Sanchez is can help this staff in a big way then with the money saved dumping Sanchez and Torres you bring in Bauer and a good hitter for average and you win a WS. With the run production we have if you keep adding pitching like was did in the mid 90's with Key, Cone and Wells you win a few WS just like we did back then

I think we ultimately get something done with DJ.  Mets are out now. Supposedly the dodgers don’t want to give him the years he wants.  

On 1/9/2021 at 8:17 PM, Smashmouth said:

Trade Torres?   No

If nothing else he is far and away the best post season hitter on the team.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Trade Torres?   No

If nothing else he is far and away the best post season hitter on the team.

We need Pitching and Torrez will not be playing 2b and he is not the hitter DJ is nor can Torrez be trusted at shortstop. This team has about 4 players that should be DHing  Stanton, Sanchez, Torrez, Andujar, .... WHy are we holding on to all these players ? They can be used to strengthen the pitching staff. I love Frazier but the Yankees think its a better Idea to let the kid rot in the minors because they are afraid to trade any of these players because Cashman is an Idiot. Wonder if they will dick Frazier around next year as well. Stantons not going anywhere due to his Contract which was insanely dumb to pick up in the first place. So with Stanton as the DH what do we do with players like the ones listed ? Players who need to play everyday to be effective. This GM is letting Talent waste away when he should be using said Talent to fill spots on this roster that are needed via trade. This team needs more contact hitters and hitters who can hit for average and get on base. 

We can't keep going into seasons with these guys who can't get the Job done in the field. Since we are low on Pitching it makes sense to trade some of these big hitters to not only free up cap room but to acquire picks to re stock the farm system then use the money saved to sign proven starting pitchers. They keep waiting for Pitchers to step up and they never do the only pitcher who has been solid through the season and the playoffs is Cole and one guy can't do it alone. Based on what has transpired the last few years the Yankees should have Morton Bauer and Cole leading this staff and that's the only way this team is winning a WS. Houston had Cole Verlander and Morton and a lineup of contact hitters who could hit for power and average now the Rays have that along with a better staff than we do. Now the Bluejays are stepping up. The Yankees have the most money and the biggest Idiot GM in baseball who never seems to make the right move to put this team over the hump because he's holding on to players like the ones listed above.The best hitters on this team are DJ and Urshela the rest are all power hitters with sub standard batting averages and high strikeout rates and that does not get it done vs top level pitching and it never will.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

We need Pitching and Torrez will not be playing 2b and he is not the hitter DJ is nor can Torrez be trusted at shortstop. This team has about 4 players that should be DHing  Stanton, Sanchez, Torrez, Andujar, .... WHy are we holding on to all these players ? They can be used to strengthen the pitching staff. I love Frazier but the Yankees think its a better Idea to let the kid rot in the minors because they are afraid to trade any of these players because Cashman is an Idiot. Wonder if they will dick Frazier around next year as well. Stantons not going anywhere due to his Contract which was insanely dumb to pick up in the first place. So with Stanton as the DH what do we do with players like the ones listed ? Players who need to play everyday to be effective. This GM is letting Talent waste away when he should be using said Talent to fill spots on this roster that are needed via trade. This team needs more contact hitters and hitters who can hit for average and get on base. 

We can't keep going into seasons with these guys who can't get the Job done in the field. Since we are low on Pitching it makes sense to trade some of these big hitters to not only free up cap room but to acquire picks to re stock the farm system then use the money saved to sign proven starting pitchers. They keep waiting for Pitchers to step up and they never do the only pitcher who has been solid through the season and the playoffs is Cole and one guy can't do it alone. Based on what has transpired the last few years the Yankees should have Morton Bauer and Cole leading this staff and that's the only way this team is winning a WS. Houston had Cole Verlander and Morton and a lineup of contact hitters who could hit for power and average now the Rays have that along with a better staff than we do. Now the Bluejays are stepping up. The Yankees have the most money and the biggest Idiot GM in baseball who never seems to make the right move to put this team over the hump because he's holding on to players like the ones listed above.The best hitters on this team are DJ and Urshela the rest are all power hitters with sub standard batting averages and high strikeout rates and that does not get it done vs top level pitching and it never will.

Need pitching?  Sign Bauer and keep Torres

On 1/12/2021 at 6:13 AM, Philc1 said:

So do you like Gary?

I don't like the entire Yankee lineup when it comes to the playoffs. They are too homerun heavy too strikeout heavy and they can not deal with top pitching which tells me when they run into teams like the Rays they are going to lose those series. Sanchez Stinks behind the plate and his hitting has fallen off a cliff yet the Yankees keep trotting him out there mishandling the staff among the other things mentioned. if the Yankees do not sign DJ it would be criminal and for a team and an Idiot GM to have all the money at his disposal more than anyone in baseball he's a freaking failure yet he's still here. 

The Yankees can trim down their line up get some contact hitters in here and spend the money on the pitching staff by adding players like Bauer. But no instead we are going to keep what amounts to 4 DH's on the roster possibly lose DJ and hope one of our oft injured starting pitchers will step up behind Cole. 

With all that being said ...when was the last time you saw this current Yankee team manufacture a run late in the game by moving a runner over stealing a base bunting a runner into scoring position ? The answer is NEVER and that's another thing that loses playoff games. See the mid to late 90's team to learn how to manufacture a run late in a game when needed rather than relying on the homerun exclusively.

This is a Yankees team with a lot of excitement and pop during the regular season who will never win a WS the way they are currently built. We need contact hitters and we need top flight starting pitching that goes 3 deep in the rotation not one deep relying on Cole . Until that changes Yankee fans will be excited during the regular season as our team feasts on crappy pitching and lose to the real well built teams come playoff time and you can blame it all on Cashman. The Yankess need a real baseball guy as a GM not this imposter who did well off what Gene Micheal built 20 years ago