DJ LeMahieu/ State of the team

Smashmouth

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

A compromise. Allows the Yankees to spread out the hit, while LeMahieu gets a longer deal. 

Yeah that 38 year old year might not be great if he is a backup. But as a 2B who is a contact hitter, it probably won't be too bad.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Yankees going after Luis Castillo via trade

Oh Joy another sub .500 pitcher ... if this is what we are going after get ready for 3rd place behind the Ray's and the Jay's and if by chance we are able to have a very solid year and win the division forget getting to or winning the WS 

While I think the DJ move was a must, so is getting another  front line starting pitcher in here. We have plenty of hitting to trade away, lower our salary number, sign Bauer and still be a monster of a hitting team. Hell even with Shipping Sanchez out of here that alone could Improve our pitching staff since Sanchez is a terrible catcher I'm sure many teams would love him as a DH which is where he belongs. 

We are going to let Paxton Walk and will probably sign Tanaka. Then we have to rely on German, Schmidt, Severino, Monty and King. If one of those guys steps up great but I'm not counting on it and Severino has not proven to be a clutch performer in the playoffs so we are one big question mark.

The Stanton Signing was moronic and with his injury issues the last 2 years I'm not sure we can rely on that either. We have been fine letting Frazier rot in the Minors when teams wanted him in exchange for a front line starter. 

Sorry but Cashman is a horror show and wearing out what would be a great bulpen year after year won't get it done either.

4 hours ago, King P said:

Not happening. Castillo is one of the best young pitchers in baseball, and is cheap. Yankees farm system isn't that deep right now, we don't have enough assets to get him, Pipe dream

I’m hearing a package involving Clint Frazier and Domingo German

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I’m hearing a package involving Clint Frazier and Domingo German

The Reds are not going to give up their best young pitcher for 2 middling Yankees with 2+ years of service time each already under their belt. Especially one that comes with the baggage of domestic abuse. Geez.

The Reds will be looking for top prospects (multiple), that are close to mlb ready. 

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Wondering if the creative way they lowered LeMahieu's AAV will let the Yanks revisit Tanaka?

Not unless he wants to come at a real bargain, or, the Yankees make a trade to shed some payroll. Or, if the Yankees go over the luxury tax, which they said they wouldn't. Spotrac currently has them at a payroll tax threshold of $205m. The 2021 tax hits at $210m. 

They can make some moves, which I am sure they will to the bullpen and move some things around. 

Or, they can as @Philc1 suggests and trade Clint Frazier and Domingo German for Luis Castillo.

Imagine GM Nick Krall going to ownership and telling them, "Mr Castellini, I did it, we have received a package for our best young pitcher with 4 years remaining of eligibility on his rookie contract".

Castellini responds, "That is great Nick, we must have received a haul of young talent from a prospect rich organization that is close to ready for MLB, and we can control those players and build around".

"Well, Domingo German was included".

Krall, looks at him as if he is on drugs, "You mean Domingo German that was suspended for domestic abuse, and last year said he was not sure if he wants to play baseball any more? That Domingo German?". 

"But, we got Clint Frazier too. You know the guy that through 4 seasons in the mlb has played in 162 games total, hit .258 with 28 home runs and 82 RBI. I got him despite signing international  free agent Akiyama last year, signing freee agent Nick Castellanos last year and having Jesse Winker in the outfield already".

So, yeah, they could do that.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not unless he wants to come at a real bargain, or, the Yankees make a trade to shed some payroll. Or, if the Yankees go over the luxury tax, which they said they wouldn't. Spotrac currently has them at a payroll tax threshold of $205m. The 2021 tax hits at $210m. 

They can make some moves, which I am sure they will to the bullpen and move some things around. 

Or, they can as @Philc1 suggests and trade Clint Frazier and Domingo German for Luis Castillo.

Imagine GM Nick Krall going to ownership and telling them, "Mr Castellini, I did it, we have received a package for our best young pitcher with 4 years remaining of eligibility on his rookie contract".

Castellini responds, "That is great Nick, we must have received a haul of young talent from a prospect rich organization that is close to ready for MLB, and we can control those players and build around".

Krall, looks at him as if he is on drugs, "You mean Domingo German that was suspended for domestic abuse, and last year said he was not sure if he wants to play baseball any more? That Domingo German?". 

"But, we got Clint Frazier too. You know the guy that through 4 seasons in the mlb has played in 162 games total, hit .258 with 28 home runs and 82 RBI. I got him despite signing international  free agent Akiyama last year, signing freee agent Nick Castellanos last year and having Jesse Winker in the outfield already".

How did you get the tapes of the 1972 Fregosi for Ryan trade? I thought they got erased with the Nixon tapes.?

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 2:04 PM, Scott Dierking said:

The Reds are not going to give up their best young pitcher for 2 middling Yankees with 2+ years of service time each already under their belt. Especially one that comes with the baggage of domestic abuse. Geez.

The Reds will be looking for top prospects (multiple), that are close to mlb ready. 

1F4C6259-598B-4F0A-B808-6E31D133B67B.jpeg.60cc867fb16f291a6a670eba90377f30.jpeg

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yankees get a nice piece in Taillon. Before his injury, he was really starting to show some of his potential. Not sure what they gave up in terms of prospects, but they get him for 2 years.

You’re not a Yankees fan. No one cares

On 1/16/2021 at 9:18 AM, Scott Dierking said:

That is cute that you typed out those fake conversations and all.  :)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yankees get a nice piece in Taillon. Before his injury, he was really starting to show some of his potential. Not sure what they gave up in terms of prospects, but they get him for 2 years.

These are the kind of moves that Cashman is good at. Giving Cashman 100mm to hand out to one player is scarier.

One other thing about Cashman, Tommy John surgery does not scare him off at all. He loves players on the other side of that.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

These are the kind of moves that Cashman is good at. Giving Cashman 100mm to hand out to one player is scarier.

One other thing about Cashman, Tommy John surgery does not scare him off at all. He loves players on the other side of that.

It is low risk, high upside. Taillon was drafted between Bryce Harper and Manny Machado in the 2010 draft. He was just starting to really come on before his injury. Does not look like the Yankees gave up any great value in the deal, more, the Pirates are trying to get lucky and have one of them hit.

What the Pirates are doing now, may be worse than what the Marlins did a few years ago. They are going bare bones.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sounds like the guys they gave up were mid to late teens, high twenties on their list. The one pitcher, Yajure, was rated 15th and the most major league ready.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, section314 said:

Yet they were scared sh*tless to use him in the playoffs?

He struggled late in the season but was money for most of the regular season. You don’t trade a good reliever who could potentially be a closer to a division rival.  I’d rather we traded him to the frickin mets

Hopefully this is just a salary dump and means we are going after Bauer