WR Brandon Marshall's favorite NFL setting.. wait for it.. wait for it.. the New York Jets.

pointman

wfan is garbage but someone likes us so I had to link it.

Brandon Marshall: New York Jets were my 'all-time favorite' team to play for

By Jordan Cohn RADIO.COM
WFANAM.jpg?width=60&height=60&crop=1:1
5 hours ago

For such a talented wide receiver, Brandon Marshall sure moved around a lot. He played for nearly 20% of the NFL's 32 teams, covering the East Coast with stints for both New York teams, the South with the Dolphins, the Midwest with the Bears, the Southwest with the Broncos and the Northwest with the Seahawks. He's played for some very talented quarterbacks, and he's played for some not-so-talented quarterbacks. He's ran routes with some phenomenally talented receivers by his side, and he's experienced being the clear-cut star in an offense.

In other words, he's experienced a lot of different NFL settings. On Wednesday morning, the latest episode of the RADIO.COM and Cadence13 podcast "The Boardroom: Out of Office" revealed which of those was his favorite: the New York Jets.

"It was, bro," Marshall said. "Oh my goodness. Fitzmagic. He made it fun. You've got to think about... there was no expectation. Everybody thought we were gonna suck, and that was a magical year. Just being with the guys and how we won games."

Though there are a lot of campaigns to choose from, Marshall's best may have come in 2015, his first season with the Jets. He posted 109 receptions, 1,502 yards and a league-high 14 touchdowns. In doing so, he earned his sixth Pro Bowl nomination and his eighth 1,000-yard season: a historic feat given the circumstances under which it came.

Brandon Marshall: 1st player in NFL history with 1,000-yard receiving seasons for 4 different teams (@EliasSports) pic.twitter.com/JE94oh48OA

— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) December 6, 2015

The Jets went 10-6, their only winning season of the past 10 years considering the chances of that have already gone out the door in 2020. Marshall's supporting cast found a ton of success. Ryan Fitzpatrick recorded his career highs in passing yards (3,905) and passing touchdowns (31). Though he was undoubtedly able to do so because of Marshall's dominance, it didn't hurt that Eric Decker (1,027 yards, 12 touchdowns) served as his WR2. Chris Ivory earned Pro Bowl recognition with a strong season, rushing for over 1,000 yards and scoring eight total touchdowns.

As much fun as Marshall had that season, he also blames the Jets for tearing apart their core after an unsuccessful season in 2016.

"It was myself, Eric Decker, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bilal Powell and Matt Forte, and again, offense was just tremendous," Marshall said. "I'll have 100 yards receiving, ten touches, a (touchdown). Eric Decker had the same, Matt Forte would go over 100. Nobody could touch us.

"...and of course, the Jets got in the way. They didn't want to give Ryan Fitzpatrick the bag. I'm like, he's the best quarterback that this franchise has had in 15 years, 20 years. Give the man $12 million! The top quarterbacks are more $24 million! What he just did for us, you're going to break this up? And that ruined everything. I thought we would be able to come back and contend, but we all imploded."

Since 2015, the Jets have not recorded a winning season. Todd Bowles was fired following the 2018 season, and Adam Gase's reign hasn't exactly led to a franchise turnaround.

Speaking of Todd Bowles, who now works as the defensive coordinator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Marshall gave a very, very inconsequential hint regarding a possible reunion.

"People ask me that all the time," Marshall said, who now works as a co-host on Fox Sports One's "First Things First" and helps to run a lifestyle wellness business. "There (were) a few calls this year and it just wasn't right... for me to walk away from what I'm doing now, I can't go back and lose.

"So you never know. I'm done, but who knows, maybe Todd Bowles brings me in as tight end next year."

From one unretired player in Rob Gronkowski to another in Brandon Marshall? Now that would be a sight to see.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

What the hell is this goof talking about?

We kept the band together for 2016 and it was a sh*tshow.

Not giving Fitz the “bag” immediately was what made things go south?

Is he still taking his meds?

A little revisionist history but he does have a point about fitzy.  IMO the jets botched the re-signing of fitzy for 2016.  Don’t ask me way they just didn’t ink him at the close of 2015. Anyway fitzy stayed away from OTAs and didn’t report until just before pre season.  At that point geno had taken over the team so a lot of players resented fitzy taking the job away from geno.  The rest is history. It didn’t help that decker went down early and Marshall was banged up.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Which has what exactly with the idea that NY and the Jets were his favorite place to play with

48 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

My bad. When I posted this article I should've just said "he likes us!" and not posted the entire article.. and I should've gave a warning reminder that Brandon Marshall is a historically massive moron. 

• Thumb Down 1

I mean, I like Brandon Marshall and all, but...dafuq?

So, the reason Fitzpatrick sucked in 2016 was because we didn't pay him enough? Lol

Fitzmagic didn't make the receivers better in 2015, it was the other way around. And when both Marshall and Decker got banged up and struggled to play a year later, Fitzy couldn't do anything more than trying to constantly force the ball to those same two receivers who didn't have the ability to make a play.

Hell, I can remember a play in one of -- if not the -- first games in 2015 where Fitz threw an INT and Marshall straight up stole the ball from the DBs hands. It was awesome.

Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker made 2015 more than Ryan Fitzpatrick did.

I was JN captain for that season!!

Had a good feeling when Geno's glass jaw was replaced by Fitz. I spent a few hours arguing why Fitz would prove to be better, it was time well spent. 

Very memorable season. Beating the Giants and Patriots in over-time felt amazing, as good a feeling as i've had watching this team throughout my life. 

Having said that, i don't agree with Brandon. Fitz caught lightning in a bottle, and the front office - in a rare display of competence - knew exactly what he was worth, refusing to cave to his demands. It was a good move. 

What happened to @Villain The Foe

16 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Read the article...there's a significant portion where he talks about the Jets not giving Fitzpatrick a contract in the offseason

I read that, read some things I also didnt agree with.  

Doesnt change the idea that he loved his time with the Jets

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Our last 'make a QB better true #1 WR'

And our last QB who was really good

and this fan base hated both of theirs guts after one year later.

We get what we deserve at times.

I was actually upset we didn't keep Marshall. I felt the same about Edwards. It was the biggest blow to Sanchez not retaining Edwards. 

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Our last 'make a QB better true #1 WR'

And our last QB who was really good

and this fan base hated both of theirs guts after one year later.

We get what we deserve at times.

While we get all pumped by guys like Greg Dortch and every time they are cut by another team's practice squad, start a thread about whether we should get him back.

Funny, it was really Marshall's antics that started the decline.  Politicking for Fitz and getting in the way, making the offseason messier than it needed to be.  And then Marshall was the cancer in the building that tore it all down.  He was an awful teammate and absolutely the reason the team sucked the following year.  A terrible leader who pointed the finger and everyone hated him.

• Thumb Down 1

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Brandon Marshall played very well here, best of his career. 

Id take another WR like him any day.

Miss having decent players at the WR position. 

Still remember the play Fitz threw a back shoulder pass and the DB actually caught it, Marshall turned around ripped it from his hands and ran into the end zone. He was little unhinged but a tremendous talent that when he wanted to was virtually unstoppable. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, pointman said:

As much fun as Marshall had that season, he also blames the Jets for tearing apart their core after an unsuccessful season in 2016.

"It was myself, Eric Decker, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bilal Powell and Matt Forte, and again, offense was just tremendous," Marshall said. "I'll have 100 yards receiving, ten touches, a (touchdown). Eric Decker had the same, Matt Forte would go over 100. Nobody could touch us.

"...and of course, the Jets got in the way. They didn't want to give Ryan Fitzpatrick the bag. I'm like, he's the best quarterback that this franchise has had in 15 years, 20 years. Give the man $12 million! The top quarterbacks are more $24 million! What he just did for us, you're going to break this up? And that ruined everything. I thought we would be able to come back and contend, but we all imploded."

lol what?  Matt Forte rushed for 3.7 yards per carry that season.  He had two 100-yard games....and in both games, it required him getting 30 carries to get there.  Eric Decker had 194 yards total on the season thanks to injuries.  Fitzpatrick and Marshall both sucked, too.

uhi579ovkly11.png

4 hours ago, jgb said:

While we get all pumped by guys like Greg Dortch and every time they are cut by another team's practice squad, start a thread about whether we should get him back.

i was very curioius about Dortch, and hopeful. Only cos i love me a UDFA story. 

thread about getting him back? me? never. or any other UDFA. i mighta done if it was wooodhead.

• Upvote 1