Baldy on Becton...atleast we have him

Jetstream

57 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

While yes, you can't pick an offensive player just for the sake of picking an offensive player, unless you move down in the draft and accumulate future resources.  

I would MUCH prefer taking a great edge rusher who slipped in the draft with our 1st number 3 pick than reaching on a RG for the sake of taking offense. 

I am sorry but I have to disagree.  

We just talked about how players are crap shoots.  You're back to BPA again.  I'm sorry but if there's an Edge you simply have to pass and take the next best offensive player.   Sure, try and trade down if you can but if you can't - take the next best offensive player you can.   Maybe you end up regretting it, maybe you don't - but it's the risk you have to take right now.

If we get the #1 pick - everything else this team does has to start with "Does it help Trevor" if the answer is no, then you don't do it.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

We have more than just two:

We potentially have a serviceable RB, WR, depth on both lines, and a starting caliber CB.  

But I get the sentiment. 

It probably looks something like this:

QB, WR1, WR depth, RB1, LG, C, EDGE x 2, CB1, Safety 1.

Then, it gets to be depth EVERYWHERE.

Potential doesn't equal building blocks... I am also hopeful but they aren't there, yet.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I am sorry but I have to disagree.  

We just talked about how players are crap shoots.  You're back to BPA again.  I'm sorry but if there's an Edge you simply have to pass and take the next best offensive player.   Sure, try and trade down if you can but if you can't - take the next best offensive player you can.   Maybe you end up regretting it, maybe you don't - but it's the risk you have to take right now.

If we get the #1 pick - everything else this team does has to start with "Does it help Trevor" if the answer is no, then you don't do it.

Yeah...No.  Sorry, but I am not passing up a potential starter at Edge rusher (which we SORELY need) to fill a RG position with a guy you reach 30 spots for, but is the next best RG.

That is where you get into trouble in the draft.  Now, if you want to talk about choosing between a RG or an edge rusher who both have great potential:  Different story.  But how many times in the NFL does it work out when you reach for a guy.  I mean, how happy are the Giants they reached for Daniel Jones.  Worked out well when we needed a QB and we took Hackenberg 5 rounds too soon.  

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Potential doesn't equal building blocks... I am also hopeful but they aren't there, yet.

Again.  You can't have stars at every position.  You need a QB, a legit number one WR, Edge, LT, and a solid O-line.

But you need depth everywhere.  If we got the LT this draft and potential solid players at RB, WR, S, and G, that's a good start.  He will need another draft to be competitive, and one more after that to compete for the playoffs.  Depending on how good Lawrence REALLY is (that is to say, we get him), we might be able to squeeze in next year. 

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again.  You can't have stars at every position.  You need a QB, a legit number one WR, Edge, LT, and a solid O-line.

But you need depth everywhere.  If we got the LT this draft and potential solid players at RB, WR, S, and G, that's a good start.  He will need another draft to be competitive, and one more after that to compete for the playoffs.  Depending on how good Lawrence REALLY is (that is to say, we get him), we might be able to squeeze in next year. 

Who said "stars?" It's ridiculous to call a guy with 84 career receiving yards "a building block." Stephen Hill had more than that his first game.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah...No.  Sorry, but I am not passing up a potential starter at Edge rusher (which we SORELY need) to fill a RG position with a guy you reach 30 spots for, but is the next best RG.

That is where you get into trouble in the draft.  Now, if you want to talk about choosing between a RG or an edge rusher who both have great potential:  Different story.  But how many times in the NFL does it work out when you reach for a guy.  I mean, how happy are the Giants they reached for Daniel Jones.  Worked out well when we needed a QB and we took Hackenberg 5 rounds too soon.  

Frist, I never said reach for player.  That's not what I'm talking about - but if your Edge rusher is there when we pick I'm saying either trade down (if he's so good they'll be someone that wants him) if you can't trade then take the next best offensive player.  I can't believe the next 29 rated players are all defensive.  Fact is you wouldn't be "reaching" more than 2 or 3 spots.

I agree, we shouldn't be reaching for a specific player or position but simply draft the best Offensive player.

You can say how has it worked our for the Giants reaching for Jones, and I can say how has it worked out for the Jets religiously taking BPA?

Bottom line, if we take a QB #1 overall, defense should simply be off the Jets draft board in the first 3 rounds.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Who said "stars?" It's ridiculous to call a guy with 84 career receiving yards "a building block." Stephen Hill had more than that his first game.

Stephen Hill was nowhere close to Mims in terms of pedigree and prospect profile.  Hill was little more than a big guy who ran fast.  He had 49 catches in his collegiate career.  Mims had 186.

He's not a "building block" yet but he absolutely has WR1 upside.    

Also, Mims would have done a lot better already if not for Darnold's suckage.  Darnold has missed him on a few open looks already.  As you've said before, the QB has more to do with making the WR than the other way around.  I'm not holding his stats against him. 

He looks good already out there, which is a great sign for a rookie WR who had only had a handful of practices with the team in total.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Frist, I never said reach for player.  That's not what I'm talking about - but if your Edge rusher is there when we pick I'm saying either trade down (if he's so good they'll be someone that wants him) if you can't trade then take the next best offensive player.  I can't believe the next 29 rated players are all defensive.  Fact is you wouldn't be "reaching" more than 2 or 3 spots.

I agree, we shouldn't be reaching for a specific player or position but simply draft the best Offensive player.

You can say how has it worked our for the Giants reaching for Jones, and I can say how has it worked out for the Jets religiously taking BPA?

Bottom line, if we take a QB #1 overall, defense should simply be off the Jets draft board in the first 3 rounds.

I guess we won't agree on this completely.  I would take the edge rusher, but I would agree unless it is a freak situation for a great player, you trade out, accumulate picks, and keep offense going.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Stephen Hill was nowhere close to Mims in terms of pedigree and prospect profile.  Hill was little more than a big guy who ran fast.  He had 49 catches in his collegiate career.  Mims had 186.

He's not a "building block" yet but he absolutely has WR1 upside.    

Also, Mims would have done a lot better already if not for Darnold's suckage.  Darnold has missed him on a few open looks already.  As you've said before, the QB has more to do with making the WR than the other way around.  I'm not holding his stats against him. 

He looks good already out there, which is a great sign for a rookie WR who had only had a handful of practices with the team in total.

Agree he's got upside. My only point was not a building block atm.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I wouldn't forget Davis either... I know it's real early, but he needs to be out on the field learning.

Agree that he needs to be on the field, but he's had a rough go so far. I didn't like the pick when it happened, and while I'm rooting for him, I struggle to think he's the real deal.  That's a blemish on a draft class I'm really high on. But he will get his chances. I'm in his corner for sure. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2020 at 8:14 AM, Augustiniak said:

As bad as this team is, it’s almost inconceivable that beckton, mims and Perine all have shown promise and all are rookies on offense.  And if Clark also does, you’d have 4 potential starters - with mims and beckton possibly really good ones - all in one draft class.  

I know he is easily overlooked but it's 5 when you add Braden Mann.  He may not be Ray Guy, but he is pretty darn good. 

On 11/5/2020 at 8:09 PM, jgb said:

But Gase won’t run behind him... why “they expect that.” Gase is the worst HC in NFL history.

Yeah, it's like having Godzilla out there who could stomp Tokyo but instead they send him across the parking lot to go on the water slide at The Mall of America.

Speaking of Godzilla, forget all the CGI nonsense. Becton would be great in a Godzilla suit in a Godzilla flick, just like they used to make 'em in the 60s and 70s. Why mess with perfection, I ask you. Plus, they could dub what Gase is saying and when the sound stops his mouth will still be moving, kind of like in real life!

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Can I just say that I'm tired of commentators and folks here telling us "how big/massive/gargantuan/building-like" Becton is in stature.  I don't give a fuk.  The kid is starting to worry me that, although he has potential, he's as soft as a newborn Bichon Frise puppy.

Agreed, we would be better off with Andrew Thomas who sucks but apparently doesn't pull muscles. We all know that there has never been a player that missed time with a muscle strain or two as a rookie that ended up being great. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Go back and watch the play. He just walks off the field. He didn’t make contact with anyone on it.

Yes, and perhaps he got injured before that play, and was attempting to play through it.  Did you think of that?

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed, we would be better off with Andrew Thomas who sucks but apparently doesn't pull muscles. We all know that there has never been a player that missed time with a muscle strain or two as a rookie that ended up being great. 

All I'm saying is keep an eye on this.  Becton's "immensity" doesn't do us any good if he's off the field constantly.  Not that I wanted a win.  But maybe if he plays in the second half we don't implode so much on offense.  Nah, Flacco would still suck donkey phallus.

22 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Can I just say that I'm tired of commentators and folks here telling us "how big/massive/gargantuan/building-like" Becton is in stature.  I don't give a fuk.  The kid is starting to worry me that, although he has potential, he's as soft as a newborn Bichon Frise puppy.

That's not my concern. My concern is that he'll go the way of Kris Jenkins. Great player always side-lined because his size, while an attribute, was converesly a detriment that worked against him. The weight of the machinery couldn't withstand the strain and he was always hurt, and not because of outside forces on the field most times. Think Great Dane. Long term health not sustainable. They break down and fall apart.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1