Who is your least favorite Jet of all time?

jgb

Just now, munchmemory said:

There are a few.  But I keep coming back to Doug Brien.   I'm still angst-ridden after those missed kicks.  Norwood II.

The idiot HC and incompetent QB were the reasons why the Jets were completely dependent on a long FG from a mediocre kicker in the freezing cold at the league's notoriously worst kicking stadium.  Certainly no reason to be happy with Brien, but he was far from the biggest problem even on that particular night.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

The idiot HC and incompetent QB were the reasons why the Jets were completely dependent on a long FG from a mediocre kicker in the freezing cold at the league's notoriously worst kicking stadium.  Certainly no reason to be happy with Brien, but he was far from the biggest problem even on that particular night.

Look, I agree that the HC calls were beyond stupid and counterproductive.  And I've heard this and other arguments absolving Brien for years now (Heinz Field is a terrible place to kick, wind, frozen ground,  yadda yadda yadda).  

Bottom line for me is that Brien has to step up and make that kick.  Period.  What makes it worse is that he actually got a reprieve with the opportunity to make the second one.  But, like a class A choker, shanked the fuk out of it.  Inexcusable in that spot.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

For me it was Ed Reed. Washed up player who came here for one last contract and dogged it. Honorable mention to Revis on his second appearance

I know where youre coming from but dogging it and being a bad signing of a washed up player with nothing left in the tank are two different things

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

43 yards wasnt a long FG.  Should be made

Weather wasnt an issue, it was cold but the 20's arent out of the ordinary for playoff football and shouldnt be an excuse

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Look, I agree that the HC calls were beyond stupid and counterproductive.  And I've heard this and other arguments absolving Brien for years now (Heinz Field is a terrible place to kick, wind, frozen ground,  yadda yadda yadda).  

Bottom line for me is that Brien has to step up and make that kick.  Period.  What makes it worse is that he actually got a reprieve with the opportunity to make the second one.  But, like a class A choker, shanked the fuk out of it.  Inexcusable in that spot.

Brien did suck yet the fact the O scored zero points gets a pass??:blink:

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Brien did suck yet the fact the O scored zero points gets a pass??:blink:

No one is giving them a pass.  Would have been a much easier win scenario if the offense played well or even competently.

But Brien had two chances to wipe out that awful play and get us a win.  He didn't.  That's why he and that team will go down as losers, not champions.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Oday Aboushi, Eric Ainge and Devin Smith

Eric Ainge?  Guy was a fifth round draft choice, hope for a backup at best.  Admitted he was on drugs since 15.  Read an interview with him while he was still drug-rehabbing and he was all about building up his character and taking responsibility.  When asked about a possible return to football he made clear he wanted to work on himself first and worry about football later, if ever.

If he was a first or second round flop, I can see resenting him.  He was only a fifth rounder, and he sounded like decent guy who just got caught up in drugs and sports performance in his teens before straightening out in his twenties.

• Post of the Week 1

On 11/7/2020 at 10:51 AM, munchmemory said:

On 11/7/2020 at 1:46 PM, Jet Nut said:

Weather wasnt an issue, it was cold but the 20's arent out of the ordinary for playoff football and shouldnt be an excuse

Yeah, what's either of your points?  None of this changes anything that I said in the slightest.  He certainly failed, but was also used as the scapegoat, due to his failures on 2 plays, while the HC and QB were given a free pass for being completely useless for the entirety of that game.  Brien's 1 FG made and 2 XPs were more than those 2 contributed combined.

Certainly no reason to be happy with Brien on that day, and I never said otherwise, but he still wasn't even close to their biggest problem on even that individual day.  Of course, if you decided to buy into the line of BS the team was selling during the 2005 offseason that kicker was the team's only problem, I guess that's your prerogative.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, what's either of your points?  None of this changes anything that I said in the slightest.  He certainly failed, but was also used as the scapegoat, due to his failures on 2 plays, while the HC and QB were given a free pass for being completely useless for the entirety of that game.  Brien's 1 FG made and 2 XPs were more than those 2 contributed combined.

Certainly no reason to be happy with Brien on that day, and I never said otherwise, but he still wasn't even close to their biggest problem on even that individual day.  Of course, if you decided to buy into the line of BS the team was selling during the 2005 offseason that kicker was the team's only problem, I guess that's your prerogative.

Not critiquing you at all.  Just the excuses about the field, etc. that folks use to excuse Brien.   

I don't see Brien as a scapegoat.  Rather, just the goat of the game.  He got two chances and shanked them both.  Could have been a hero, but choked and so he's my least favorite Jet.

• Upvote 2

On 11/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, Greenbloodblitz said:

Michael Vick. I went to family night with all of my kids my father and a few friends we were about 15 deep.

We were trying to get autographs after practice and he just walked past everybody with his head down and I was the only guy he looked at and he gave me the filthiest dirty look. If we were on the street I would have busted his grill. He didn't give a flying rat's ass about being on this team and later stated that he never even read The playbook.

Totally agree.

I was pissed when they signed him

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, what's either of your points?  None of this changes anything that I said in the slightest. 

My point was you’re wrong about the weather and the long FG.  Pretty clear.  It’s not that big a deal to be mistaken, it was long ago, I do it all the time.  

• Haha 1

This thread is depressing. Too many to count. I'll go top 10 in no specific order. 

Neil O'Donnell. 

Dewayne Robertson. 

Kellen Clemens. 

Vernon Gholston. 

Derek Mason. 

Tim Tebow. 

Vlad Ducasse. 

Louisville Slugger. 

Mike Vick. 

CJ Mosley (quitter and our biggest FA bust ever). 

I could easily come up with another 100 more (too depressing to dwell on it anymore). 

On 11/7/2020 at 1:46 PM, Jet Nut said:

The 20's? We used to play touch football in t-shirts in colder weather.  That's perfect football weather.  

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

My cats would  rip his throat out

BC36C5BC-EE7E-431E-AD7E-47C196853050.jpeg

719E1F7F-EC6F-4CDD-AD15-8739A89670C5.jpeg

I was a dog person my whole life -- don't get me wrong still love dogs -- but my daughter got two cats and I love the little bastards. Yes, I think I'm a cat person now. When/if I live in a house again rather than bouncing country-to-country in apartments I'll probably get a dog, too. My position now is dogs are more loyal/loving/useful (deter burglars and such) but cats are more interesting.

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2020 at 11:34 PM, kelticwizard said:

Richard Todd.  Signed with fanfare, wore enormous shoulder pads which looked like inflated baloons, and never moved the team.

I hated him until he stuffed Serby into a locker.  He instantly became one of my favorite Jets of all time. 

• Haha 1