You are Joe D .. Fix it !

Dunnie

Trade Sam, crazy as this sounds I think we get a first for him. If guys like Sam Bradford were traded for 1sts them Darnold can be. I believe PIT will give us their late first pick for Sam. Draft Lawrence 1st overall. Use our SEA and PIT picks to bolster the OL and either a top tier WR Or TE. In 2022 use the first round pick, which admittedly will still be a high pick, on a pass rusher. Use the 2nd pick in the 2022 first round on the BAP, but placing emphasis on CB or WR

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

Trade Sam, crazy as this sounds I think we get a first for him. If guys like Sam Bradford were traded for 1sts them Darnold can be. I believe PIT will give us their late first pick for Sam. Draft Lawrence 1st overall. Use our SEA and PIT picks to bolster the OL and either a top tier WR Or TE. In 2022 use the first round pick, which admittedly will still be a high pick, on a pass rusher. Use the 2nd pick in the 2022 first round on the BAP, but placing emphasis on CB or WR

Still short on OLB and RB

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

We have the most cap in a year when many teams will be cash-starved.  Use it like Thor's hammer.

Sign Thuney or Scherff.  Sign Allen Robinson (or Godwin).  Sign Maye to an extension.  Plug a few more depth spots with upgrades.

Some of the teams with huge cap holes may look to trade some good players on the cheap rather than cut them outright.  Kick the tires on Ertz and Higbee for example.  See if they can be more productive than Herndon.

Draft TL or JF.  Then draft good football players to fill in the worst holes.  I'd consider an Edge or CB with one of them and a TE/RB with the other although another OL if a really good one drops is in play.  

If we draft a QB up top, then trading Sam is also in play but only if we get a good return (no lower than high-2nd).  

Oh...I almost forgot.  Clone Becton.

• Upvote 1

shelve Darnold now and try and get a 3 for him in return.

land #1 pick at all costs

Fire gase at end of year to help with point above

Throw myself at harbaugh and agree to be his bitch for 4 years

try and trade rights to lawrence for more picks and grab fields

draft and FA = offense offense offense offense, eat sh*t D

The best offense this team has had this millenia was probably Fitz in what 2015? Unacceptable, rectify it in 1 offseason.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

i'm thinking they will be able to address their most needed positions through the draft with a couple of top free agents mixed in.  they can go for a vet olineman and wr and then draft the same.  lawrence isn't a lock just yet so they either go edge wr with their top draft picks or edge oline.  and if they somehow thik darnold is in their future then maybe they trade down and pick up a corner.  the balance of the draft needs to go for depth.

37 minutes ago, CTM said:

shelve Darnold now and try and get a 3 for him in return.

land #1 pick at all costs

Fire gase at end of year to help with point above

Throw myself at harbaugh and agree to be his bitch for 4 years

try and trade rights to lawrence for more picks and grab fields

draft and FA = offense offense offense offense, eat sh*t D

The best offense this team has had this millenia was probably Fitz in what 2015? Unacceptable, rectify it in 1 offseason.

Great post but you gotta take TL.

Trading down and then locking up Fields isn't all that easy. 

You'll likely have to trade with the team at #2 to secure him. 

How much are they going to be willing to give up for Trevor instead of Fields.  I mean if we're willing to move out, how willing will they be to move up?

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

How much are they going to be willing to give up for Trevor instead of Fields.  I mean if we're willing to move out, how willing will they be to move up?

Yeah that part is tricky for sure and more wishful thinking than realistic 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Good question.

If we had #2, would we trade SEA's pick to move up?  How about our higher 2022 first round pick?

If we had #1 and JAX has #2, would we take both their first rounders (assume the lower one was #20)?

Just now, nycdan said:

Good question.

If we had #2, would we trade SEA's pick to move up?  How about our higher 2022 first round pick?

If we had #1 and JAX has #2, would we take both their first rounders (assume the lower one was #20)? 

Presumably, you would do one of these deals.

Free Agency:

Trade (2022 6th) for Zach Ertz (PHI saves $8.25M) - descending player, but JD does his Philly connection a solid, and this looks good on paper.

Trade (2022 5th) for Michael Thomas (NO saves $12.8M) - This is the move that tells the league we're still batsh*t crazy... why on God's earth would we take on a $20M/year salary for a developing diva.  Because we can't draft Trevor and hope a couple draft picks pan out.  This is the splash.

Extend OnuwasorSign Matt Judon  - Similar to JD signing a secondary full of Florida/Colts guys; I think he likes having positional groups that have chemistry... what better way to get Mosely back to his good ole' self than to surround him with his Baltimore running mates; plus JD has that Ravens connection.

Extend Maye, Sign Xavier Rhodes - Marcus has earned his money.  We sign Xavier to be the veteran corner back. - They say to draft a QB every year.  Similarly, we sign an aging CB every year off the Colt’s roster for the same reason... eventually one of them will pan out.  

FA examined: This is really just 2 big free agent signings, both on defense because I project an Offense heavy draft.  Trading/Spending for proven skills players shows a commitment to our young QB that we will surround (and later) protect him to make sure he has every opportunity to succeed.  In this scenario, we trust that at least one of our young DBs (Austin, Hall, Jackson) and OLBs (Huff, Zuniga, '21 draft pick) can assume the other spots. 

3 round DRAFT:

1(1). Trevor Lawrence, QB  - Clemson  (no comment necessary, I picked him)

1(31). Travis Ettienne, RB  - Clemson (We trade Sam Darnold to the Steelers and use that pick to make our new young QB feel really good about becoming a Jet-- by drafting his college buddy.  If ETN doesn't fall this far I would draft the next two picks listed... which, in this scenario are back-to-back-to-back, and get a homerun RB later in the draft).

1(32). Josh Myers, Center - Ohio State (remember that last Ohio State center we drafted? This one is pretty good too; excellent at getting to the second level)

2(33).  Jackson Carman, OT - Clemson (Trevor's blindside protector from Clemson helps him feel cozy in New York by blocking on his RT; this kid is 6'5, 345 with the ability to swing to LT if needed.  A little aggressive to draft TWO offensive lineman before going WR, Edge or CB... but that's why we spent money in free agency, and this shows commitment to protecting our new FQB.  In this scenario, we have Becton(LT), Clarke(LG), Myers(C), McGovern?(RG), Carman (RT).  

3(65). Kary Vincent Jr., CB - LSU (a slot CB with incredible feet and oily hips to make up for Poole who we will undoubtedly lose in FA)

3(96). Anthony Schwartz, WR - Auburn (The other fastest WR in the draft. He can play inside or outside and with Thomas, Crowder, and Mims... he becomes the 4th option that can fill in for any one of them). 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Totally agree on Darnold and going O line (a Center) with one of the first round picks or the Jets second round pick. In the top 3 rounds the Jets should also be looking for a Guard and RB.  After the Jets second round pick, they should go BAP from that point on and hopefully find at least one ILB.  Sign Zach Ertz after Philly releases him in a cap saving measure. If a very good WR is available as a free agent make a run at him too.  Note: I am not convinced that by draft time Lawrence will still be the #1 rated QB. I think there is a fair chance he will be overtaken by Fields, who outshines Lawrence on the technical stuff that causes nerdy evaluators to have to change into their boner pants.  Not a knock on Lawrence. Rather, it is an elevation of Fields. Regardless, it is Lawrence or Fields.

In the 3 first picks in 2022 (2 first round and 1 second) the Jets should be looking Pass Rusher, RT and WR (or TE whichever works best).

And there you have, the Jets will have a stud young QB in his second year behind an O line and with skill players  who were all high draft picks. Caveat: JD is far more likely to trade down for multiple picks unless he loves a guy available when his pick come up in the first and second rounds --- And that's a good thing.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

nuclear explosion GIF

That part is pretty much done, no?  About 80% of the roster has been turned over so far.  Most of these guys are "his guys" even if they're band-aids or placeholders.

At a certain point it's about the building and not blowing up things again.  Although, if you're saying he needs to blow up what he added to the OL and WR groups this past offseason I might partially agree.

7 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Free Agency:

Trade (2022 6th) for Zach Ertz (PHI saves $8.25M) - descending player, but JD does his Philly connection a solid, and this looks good on paper.

Trade (2022 5th) for Michael Thomas (NO saves $12.8M) - This is the move that tells the league we're still batsh*t crazy... why on God's earth would we take on a $20M/year salary for a developing diva.  Because we can't draft Trevor and hope a couple draft picks pan out.  This is the splash.

Extend OnuwasorSign Matt Judon  - Similar to JD signing a secondary full of Florida/Colts guys; I think he likes having positional groups that have chemistry... what better way to get Mosely back to his ole' self than to surround him with his Baltimore running mates; plus JD has that Ravens connection.

Sign Xavier Rhodes to be the veteran corner back. - They say to draft a QB every year.  Similarly, we sign an aging CB every year for the same reason... eventually one of them will pan out.  

FA examined: This is really just 2 big free agent signings, both on defense because I project an Offense heavy draft.  Trading/Spending for proven skills players shows a commitment to our young QB that we will surround (and later) protect him to make sure he has every opportunity to succeed.  In this scenario, we trust that at least one of our young DBs (Austin, Hall, Jackson) and OLBs (Huff, Zuniga, '21 draft pick) can assume the other spots. 

3 round DRAFT:

1(1). Trevor Lawrence, QB  - Clemson  (no comment necessary, I picked him)

1(31). Travis Ettienne, RB  - Clemson (We trade Sam Darnold to the Steelers and use that pick to make our new young QB feel really good about becoming a Jet-- by drafting his college buddy.  If ETN doesn't fall this far I would draft the next two picks listed... which, in this scenario are back-to-back-to-back, and get a homerun RB later in the draft).

1(32). Josh Myers, Center - Ohio State (remember that last Ohio State center we drafted? This one is pretty good too; excellent at getting to the second level)

2(33).  Jackson Carman, OT - Clemson (Trevor's blindside protector from Clemson helps him feel cozy in New York by blocking on his RT; this kid is 6'5, 345 with the ability to swing to LT if needed.  A little aggressive to draft TWO offensive lineman before going WR, Edge or CB... but that's why we spent money in free agency, and this shows commitment to protecting our new FQB.  In this scenario, we have Becton(LT), Clarke(LG), Myers(C), McGovern?(RG), Carman (RT).  

3(65). Kary Vincent Jr., CB - LSU (a slot CB with incredible feet and oily hips to make up for Poole who we will undoubtedly lose in FA)

3(96). Anthony Schwartz, WR - Auburn (The other fastest WR in the draft. He can play inside or outside and with Thomas, Crowder, and Mims... he becomes the 4th option that can fill in for any one of them). 

I like it except for the RT draft choice. I'd go with a G because the drafted G will be a bigger upgrade over McGovern than Carman would be over Fant. Nothing against Carman, but Fant is decent and McGovern is terrible. 

• Upvote 1

This entire scenario is based on us having the #1 overall. 

Free Agency: Allen Robinson (Joe D likes big strong WRs), that puts Robinson + Mims wide. 

Thuney or Scherff (Whichever guy will come to play for the Jets). 

You guys might kill me but if he’s available? 
Bud Dupree (we desperately need a pass rusher) 

That’s it for the 1st wave of free agency & that threesome won’t come cheap. 

We move on to the 2021 draft. 
Sam Darnold is traded to the highest bidder, hopefully a late middle #1 draft pick giving is 3 1st round picks. 
#1A-  QB Trevor Lawrence, 1B- Shocker/ WR Devonta Smith (Jets cut Crowder saving 10.5 million on the cap!) #1C- C- Creed Humphrey 

#2- 33rd - Najee Harris 

So, that still leaves us with #65, #94, #103, #143. 4 more picks in the top 150!!!

Starting Offensive lineup:

QB- Trevor Lawrence, WRs- Robinson/D.Smith/Mims , RBs- Harris/Perine, Oline- Becton- Thuney- Humphrey- McGovern or Clark- Fant 

3 Free Agent Signing- Allen Robinson- Joe Thuney- Bud Dupree with 10.5 million offset cutting Jamison Crowder who’s really not our future. 

TE- Trade a #6 Ertz 

Defense: Dends , Dupree, JFM,  Huff, Zuniga, Interior Dlineman: Foley, Shepard, QW, Phillips 

LBs: CJ Mosely- Hewitt- Cashman- Basham, Onwuasor. ( Picks #65 & up to add)

CBs- Austin - Hall - Guidry- Jackson- Poole- Wilson 

Extend Maye (SS), Davis (FS)

We will still have a good amount of cap dollars to take on another contract at CB. New Orleans will be way over the cap. Trade 1 of our #3s for Marshon Lattimore but only if he’ll sign a new contract. Set to make $10.2 million in 2021. 

You would still have 3 more picks in the top 150. Slide Bless to the #2 spot, Lattimore at #1- Resign Poole for 1 year while we groom another slot CB. 

So there you have it. 2021 team, with only 3 big free agent signings, 2 trades for a starting CB from cap strapped Saints team and A TE (Ertz) from cap strapped Eagles & 9 more draft picks to look forward to in 2021 or maybe more if Joe D strategically trades back again. 

Pretty exciting future I think. 

I don't know enough about the specific players, so the positions I want may not match up realistically to the field of players. Everything is built around Trevor Lawrence for me. For Free Agency, I'm bringing in either the best G or C available (Thuney?). Becton is an animal, and Fant looks to be a more than good enough RT. My goal is to bring in the best OG in the class, and draft the top C with the Seattle pick. Move McGovern to G, and there is your starting OL.

1A- Trevor Lawrence. I loved Darnold, but Lawrence is a significantly better prospect on a rookie deal. Can't pass that up.

1B- Best IOL available. The last thing I want is for Lawrence to be shell shocked by a sh*tty OL.

2nd Round- I think the Jets will be trading their second rounder back, and will be trading Darnold for a late second as well.

2A- WR. Crowder should be back, Mims will be here, and I think they'll sign a starting level WR in FA. Having said all that, the Jets need young WR potential. 

2B- RB/CB/Pass Rush- Since currently this pick doesnt exist yet, I'm gonna say any of RB/CB/EDGE is a fine pick here. All are needs and if the draft plays out like mine did, the offense will have been legitimately addressed. I'm OK with defense once the offense has been seriously addressed.

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

What is your plan?

I honestly don't know where I'd s ye start... love to hear some thoughts...

Draft :

QB, OL, WR, OLB, RB, CB

Free Agency ... ??? ... no idea

Fire away ..

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Step 1: Demand full control of Football Operations from the owners including hiring and firing personnel. 

Step 2: Quit or Fire Gase
Step 2B: Hire Jim Harbaugh or Arthur Smith

Step 3: Get rid of Pierre Desir and Chris Herndon in any way possible.  

Free Agency: Get Allen Robinson + JuJu Smith-Schuster + Bud Dupree

Draft: Trade down. If we get the #1 overall, trade with anyone who offers most top round picks. Target players such as Penei Sewell, Jammar Chase, Creed Humphrey, Trey Smith, Josh Myers, Najee Harris, Paulson Adebo, Carlos Basham

I would be formulating a plan right now based on reports of potential free agents. Form a plan that involved acquiring a few, not more than say 3 at the very most, in free agency. Got to be looking at other team's financial situations and who you could safely bet will become a free agent. Those players are going to be players that I reasonably believe will not be available in the draft. 

When the draft arrives? Really anything could happen. In a vacuum I want to select BAP wherever I'm picking. I'm not going to reach for any position. I know what I need and I'm going to select BAP that happens to coincide with a team need. I am NOT in any rush. This rebuilding effort I know is realistically going to take about 4 years.