Joe Namath could see Trevor Lawrence force trade if picked by Jets

jgb

38 minutes ago, heymangold said:

This is the problem with Jets fans.  They don’t want nice things.  Eisen, Greenberg, Benigno and now Namath.  Just gluttons for punishment.  Why bring this sh!t up?  Even if Trevor Lawrence has never thought about forcing a trade or not entering the draft - now he does.0

Typical pessimistic SOJ fans, almost as bad as the team on the field

Its a fait accompli that Trevor will do this. Everyone from all sides is telling him to do it. Now he is hearing even Joe Namath thinks he should do it? Why are we all killing ourselves every game praying they tank if this is the end result because of an overzealous media wanting to destroy the Jets? Its over.

19 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Its a fait accompli that Trevor will do this. Everyone from all sides is telling him to do it. Now he is hearing even Joe Namath thinks he should do it? Why are we all killing ourselves every game praying they tank if this is the end result because of an overzealous media wanting to destroy the Jets? Its over.

Over? Nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Where, specifically, do we imagine Lawrence WANTING to be traded? We should discuss that first and then talk about the possibility of that happening. Jacksonville? Please. The GIANTS? Can you imagine the haul it would take? The PATS? Never, never within the division without a MONSTER haul. The COWBOYS? The WASHINGTON FOOTBALL PLAYERS? That organization?? 

The haul it would take plus the move from Prescott might be a little much. Who else? Who am I missing? The further on down the line (up in the standings) you go the less of a possibility it becomes. This is all silly talk until you know who is coaching the Jets next year. 

Wow I cant believe some of the BS comments by some on here. Obviously they didn't experience Namath at his prime and during 68-69.  Namath was one of the coolest stars in the 20th century. Elvis, The Beatles, Jim Morrison, Jim Brown, Frank Sinatra, Bruce Lee, JFK, Ali, Dylan etc etc et.  Here's a write up I found of the coolest sports stars of the 20th century. Joe Willie was #1 in football.

In terms of "coolness" in professional sports, the discussion begins and ends with legendary New York Jets quarterback "Broadway Joe" Namath.

The indescribably talented athlete from Western Pennsylvania was never afraid to go against the grain—how else can you explain a Yankee outsider playing quarterback for Bear Bryant at the University of Alabama in the early '60s?

When Namath was drafted by the Jets first overall, he had a agent negotiate the most lucrative contract in football history and went on to lead the Jets to their first (and only) Super Bowl championship in franchise history. 

Namath enjoyed the fame and fortune he found in New York and was romantically linked with some of the most beautiful women in the world (including Raquel Welch), before eventually settling down. 

A career plagued with injuries prevented the world from witnessing the full potential of an athlete who was one of the greatest raw talents in sports history. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Your constant overreaction every time someone says this to TL is Hilarious.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

If Trevor tries to do a Kristaps Porzingis let him.  I’d ask the falcons for Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and draft picks

keep Sam as Matt Ryan’s backup/understudy

Matt Ryan: 35 years old with a cap hit of 40M next year

Julio Jones: 31 years old with a cap hit of 23M next year

Strong pass.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Let's assume you're right.

The truth is everyone from all sides will change their minds if they hire the right HC.

If Harbaugh has been hired will these same people continue to tell him not to come to the Jets?

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Even if that is true (it's not, at least not anymore), better to be a HOFer anywhere than a bust in NYC.

Well, it is true. Ny is still the media capitol of the world and if Lawrence succeeds he will receive accolades world wide.  Look at a very average QBs like Eli. He won twice and might just get into the hog.

One day you guys will learn the whole Eli saga was about money and avoiding notoriously cheap chargers FO at the time. There was reason for Rivers long holdout during his rookie year And archie saw it coming wanted no part of it.

good thing those rookie contracts are slotted now.

I’ve always hated when guys demand a trade.

Heard about Elway but was young when it happened. Didn’t like what Eli and Archie did but they sure got the last laugh. 
after watching jets tank job and they way they have coached and treated Darnold this last year.  This organization sort of deserves a high drafted player To revolt.  
I know jets fans have suffered a lot. So actually don’t want that to happen. But man this season with trades and keeping Gase, sorry the brass in this organization don’t deserve better. Although TLs skill set do mirror gase’s unimaginative Play calling and route trees much better than Darnold’s. He needs to Stand in pocket and fire away. Or audible out of everything like Peyton did. 
maybe with actual supporting cast this can work. But any good agent will be very Leary of the brain trust here. 

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

Well, it is true. Ny is still the media capitol of the world and if Lawrence succeeds he will receive accolades world wide.  Look at a very average QBs like Eli. He won twice and might just get into the hog.

I wonder then why FAs take less money to play elsewhere relatively often — short answer: because it doesn’t matter, at least not nearly as much as Jets fans hope.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I wonder then why FAs take less money to play elsewhere relatively often — short answer: because it doesn’t matter, at least not nearly as much as Jets fans hope.

Okay but you can’t compare the run of the mill players with the ones with star power. Lawrence comes to the jets and brings a championship and they’ll name the whole Jersey take after him.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Okay but you can’t compare the run of the mill players with the ones with star power. Lawrence comes to the jets and brings a championship and they’ll name the whole Jersey take after him.

Why do tri-staters love to embarras themselves in regard to this NYC bias nonsense? You're thinking about yesteryear when you kinda had to have close access to Madison Avenue to be part of Madison Avenue. And I'm talking about YESTERYEAR. Even in the 80s, Montana, Rice, Lott all became global superstars because they were WINNERS, not because they played in one of America's media capitals. You think LT wouldn't have become a mega star playing for the Denver Broncos? John Elway sure did. And that other LT became one playing for a sub-par franchise in San Diego. 

Wayne Gretzky became a world wide icon in the least popular of the 4 major North American sports by piling up Stanley Cups in the media hotbed known as Edmonton, Alberta in the early to mid 80s. To this day the lasting image of Gretzky is wearing the royal blue and orange jersey with that big circular logo in the middle of it, yet he played in the 2 major media hotbeds in the USA, LA then NYC. 

Ken Griffey was the face of baseball for the majority of the 90s and you saw his million dollar smile and backwards navy blue baseball cap everywhere while he was smashing home runs tucked away in the remote Pacific Northwest. Which brings me to Russell Wilson, who I'm pretty sure is a household name playing in the same city that Griffey once owned.

Kerry Collins was a former 1st round pick and took the Giants to a SB. And he was never as popular as a certain contemporary dual threat QB who became a mega-star down in Atlanta, GA.

And three more words: Peyton Manning. Indianapolis.

Stop overrating NY and stop thinking athletes can't wait to sign here because it somehow forces the world to view them as exponentially better because they won in NY. It doesn't. At all.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

Who cares players don’t care one bit about being the King of the NJ Turnpike — they want to go where success is most probable and maximize the value of that second contract. Face it — no one cares about playing in NY anymore, it’s totally irrelevant! Especially for a country boy like Trevor. Hell, he and his fiancée probably PREFER a smaller market. Face it — NYC ain’t the draw people from NY/NJ think it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, glenn31 said:

Why do tri-staters love to embarras themselves in regard to this NYC bias nonsense? You're thinking about yesteryear when you kinda had to have close access to Madison Avenue to be part of Madison Avenue. And I'm talking about YESTERYEAR. Even in the 80s, Montana, Rice, Lott all became global superstars because they were WINNERS, not because they played in one of America's media capitals. You think LT wouldn't have become a mega star playing for the Denver Broncos? John Elway sure did. And that other LT became one playing for a sub-par franchise in San Diego. 

Wayne Gretzky became a world wide icon in the least popular of the 4 major North American sports by piling up Stanley Cups in the media hotbed known as Edmonton, Alberta in the early to mid 80s. To this day the lasting image of Gretzky is wearing the royal blue and orange jersey with that big circular logo in the middle of it, yet he played in the 2 major media hotbeds in the USA, LA then NYC. 

Ken Griffey was the face of baseball for the majority of the 90s and you saw his million dollar smile and backwards navy blue baseball cap everywhere while he was smashing home runs tucked away in the remote Pacific Northwest. Which brings me to Russell Wilson, who I'm pretty sure is a household name playing in the same city that Griffey once owned.

Kerry Collins was a former 1st round pick and took the Giants to a SB. And he was never as popular as a certain contemporary dual threat QB who became a mega-star down in Atlanta, GA.

Stop overrating NY and stop thinking athletes can't wait to sign here because it somehow forces the world to view them as exponentially better because they won in NY. It doesn't. At all.

Nobody said they can’t wait to sign here.first off, since only free agents really can sign where they want they’re not necessarily go to a losing team if the money is close to the same. Secondly, in case you provincials haven’t noticed, NY is still the media center of the world. You can make a case that other places are nicer, in some respects, but when it comes to getting the exposure, NY is the place to be.

as for Kerry Collins, he basically buried himself when he got popped in Carolina. And he also didn’t win.

• Thumb Down 2

8 hours ago, glenn31 said:

And he once stated he would never, ever have ever signed with the Yankees for basically any amount.

https://www.insider.com/ken-griffey-jr-yankees-documentary-comments-2020-6#:~:text=for more stories.-,Ken Griffey Jr. said in the documentary "Junior%2C",against him as a kid.&text=and Nettles%2C a white third,teammates from 1982 to 1983.

Ken Griffey Jr. says he refused to sign with the Yankees after he was kicked out of the dugout as a kid while another player's son took ground balls in the field

• Ken Griffey Jr. said in the documentary "Junior," which premiered on Sunday, that he refused to join the New York Yankees because he felt that the owner George Steinbrenner discriminated against him and his dad.
  • Griffey said that while he was visiting his dad in the dugout before a game, a security guard told them Steinbrenner didn't want anyone in the dugouts.
  • Griffey said that as he left the dugout, the son of Yankees third baseman Graig Nettles, who's white, was taking ground balls on the field.
  • The documentary played a clip of Griffey before the 1995 American League Division Series against the Yankees telling fans he'd rather retire than sign with the Yankees.
  • Upvote 3

22 hours ago, heymangold said:

Matt Ryan: 35 years old with a cap hit of 40M next year

Julio Jones: 31 years old with a cap hit of 23M next year

Strong pass.

Ryan is a drop back qb without an injury history they can play into their 40’s see Vinny and Brady

18 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

One day you guys will learn the whole Eli saga was about money and avoiding notoriously cheap chargers FO at the time. There was reason for Rivers long holdout during his rookie year And archie saw it coming wanted no part of it.

good thing those rookie contracts are slotted now.

If we hire Harbaugh then Lawrence is absolutely coming here

The guy made Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick look like all pros

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Ryan is a drop back qb without an injury history they can play into their 40’s see Vinny and Brady

OK and he's due 40M the next 3 years.  Drop back QB isn't what the NFL is anymore - Brady and Brees are basically the last of their kind.  Watch Flacco tomorrow night and talk to me about drop back QBs.  like i said, hard pass.

On 11/7/2020 at 6:14 AM, Jetster said:

My buddy that lives in my neighborhood & is from Stuart Fl is a huge fisherman & him and his friends got to go out fishing with Joe & they are Fins fans. They said Joe doesn't fish, stays up at the bow most of the time but is the freindliest coolest guy they ever met. He said, "you can hate the Jets but you just can't hate Joe Namath". 

So I wanted to addto this story because it's a good one. My buddy Dave when working at a marina in Stuart Fl got to be friendly with Joe who kept a boat there.

So Dave & some friends go on a trip together and flying back into Miami are at the baggage claim & one of his friends says, holy sh*t, is that Joe Namath over there? Joe was at another claim area. So Dave goes over & says, hey Joe, what's up? Joe sees Dave walks over gives him a big hug in front of his friends. Dave got talking to him & Joe brings up fishing, says he's going that week & tell Dave to come along & bring his friends too. 

Joes bag comes through, he grabs it heads out & Dave walks back over to his friends & obviously their like, YOU KNOW JOE? he tells them yea, from the marina & tells his freinds, we're all going fishing with him this weekend. 

Dave said Joe is just like ONE OF THE GUYS but it's surreal hanging out with him because of his drawl & the way he speaks is like your watching one of his commercials even though he's standing right next to you. I thought this was such a cool story, but the part in the airport when Joe gave Dave a hug while his friends were watching was classic. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, rangerous said:

Nobody said they can’t wait to sign here.first off, since only free agents really can sign where they want they’re not necessarily go to a losing team if the money is close to the same. Secondly, in case you provincials haven’t noticed, NY is still the media center of the world. You can make a case that other places are nicer, in some respects, but when it comes to getting the exposure, NY is the place to be.

as for Kerry Collins, he basically buried himself when he got popped in Carolina. And he also didn’t win.

So then make that case, and with detailed examples please. I sure did to refute your "Winning in NY gets you more exposure" thesis. Ball's in your court now. And before you say Mark Messier, that was an extremely unique circumstance with the 54 year old curse being exorcised. Had the Rangers won a  Cup or 2 in '79 and/or '86 that 1994 Cup wouldn't have garnered anywhere near the attention it did.