Joe Namath could see Trevor Lawrence force trade if picked by Jets

jgb

16 hours ago, jgb said:

NYC ain’t the draw people from NY/NJ think it is.

And then you hear Trevor Bauers agent talking on SNY about Bauer wanting to sign with a big market team to increase his brand and earning power

So to some it does make a difference.  

3 hours ago, glenn31 said:

So then make that case, and with detailed examples please. I sure did to refute your "Winning in NY gets you more exposure" thesis. Ball's in your court now. And before you say Mark Messier, that was an extremely unique circumstance with the 54 year old curse being exorcised. Had the Rangers won a  Cup or 2 in '79 and/or '86 that 1994 Cup wouldn't have garnered anywhere near the attention it did. 

Joe Willie Namath!!!  Derek Jeter!!!  Pick just about any of the Yankee championship teams.  Everyone knows Yogi.  Probably the most well know catcher after him is Bench.

What you and others haven't understood is that you have to be a champion to get the status.  Since Namath only the Yankees have had any real success.  KNicks?  No.  Rangers?  No.  Mets?  No.  Nets?  No. Giants?  if they didn't beat the patsies they wouldn't be considered.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

This is the perfect example of the media creating their own news cycle.

Media invites Joe onto their radio show. Media asks him "could Trevor Lawrence refuse to play for the Jets?" Joe says "yeah, he could do that."

Media headline: "Joe Namath says Trevor Lawrence could refuse to play for the Jets."

Nothing to see here.

That may be the reason it happened but don't believe for a second its not going to have a strong affect on Trevor's thinking. The headline was so misleading I'm sure he read it as Namath thinks he should demand a trade from the Jets since the team is such a disaster. Its almost a guarantee its going to happen at this point. I don't see how it doesn't. Remember Trevor could have gone to any team in college he chose to go to the most ready stacked team. That shows he does care about this stuff. Of course he will take advantage of the media narrative to go to a stronger team.

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And then you hear Trevor Bauers agent talking on SNY about Bauer wanting to sign with a big market team to increase his brand and earning power

So to some it does make a difference.  

Find me one FA that takes less money -- not a guy returning to Jets -- to play for Jets over another team in the last 5 years and I'll concede it means something.

5 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

That may be the reason it happened but don't believe for a second its not going to have a strong affect on Trevor's thinking. The headline was so misleading I'm sure he read it as Namath thinks he should demand a trade from the Jets since the team is such a disaster. Its almost a guarantee its going to happen at this point. I don't see how it doesn't. Remember Trevor could have gone to any team in college he chose to go to the most ready stacked team. That shows he does care about this stuff. Of course he will take advantage of the media narrative to go to a stronger team.

I mean, maybe, if you think Trevor is an idiot advised by idiots.

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Find me one FA that takes less money -- not a guy returning to Jets -- to play for Jets over another team in the last 5 years and I'll concede it means something.

Find where is said they’d take less money.

You don’t think playing in a large media market means something that’s fine.  The idea that it doesn’t appeal to many is fantasy.  You don’t build a brand in a small market and for some players, the top players or personalities it can mean $$$s.  That’s the point, not that we can save Mandy by offering less due to financial benefits of a large market

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Find where is said they’d take less money.

You don’t think playing in a large media market means something that’s fine.  The idea that it doesn’t appeal to many is fantasy.  You don’t build a brand in a small market and for some players, the top players or personalities it can mean $$$s.  That’s the point, not that we can save Mandy by offering less due to financial benefits of a large market

Dude 3 took less money in ONE off season when Macc was the GM. In bed so not gonna do google the names, now. Besides — the burden is on the dudes pushing the premise that players are clamoring to play in NY to prove it. All they can do is burden shift because it just ain’t true.

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Dude 3 took less money in ONE off season when Macc was the GM. In bed so not gonna do google the names, now. Besides — the burden is on the dudes pushing the premise that players are clamoring to play in NY to prove it. All they can do is burden shift because it just ain’t true.

So I can’t use the players who came back to the Jets but Barr back to Minny counts?  Who else?  The Seu imaginary dis of the Jets imaginary offer?  
Where did I say anyone was clamoring to play here?  You said no one wants to come to NY anymore and I said that it isn’t true with some.  Now we’ll argue, you will, by changing it around.  
You’re right, Trevor won’t come because we’re the Jets and it would be Jetsy.  
it’s a cute game, I’m out, it’s silly 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

So I can’t use the players who came back to the Jets but Barr back to Minny counts?  Who else?  The Seu imaginary dis of the Jets imaginary offer?  
Where did I say anyone was clamoring to play here?  You said no one wants to come to NY anymore and I said that it isn’t true with some.  Now we’ll argue, you will, by changing it around.  
You’re right, Trevor won’t come because we’re the Jets and it would be Jetsy.  
it’s a cute game, I’m out, it’s silly 

So then you have zero examples of players taking less money to come to the Jets — your position is on such strong ground here lol 

Now let’s get real. There are two types of players: those that take the most money possible in all cases and those that take a little less to play for winners or a specific coach who they feel with maximize their talents. Maybe once every ten years there is a guy who wants to end his career on his home town team ala Marshawn Lynch -- notice even he preferred to remain on a winner when he was a hot commodity.

This is why I really want a HC like Harbaugh or Cowher — will get us some instant cred like Parcells did. Our city ain’t recruiting guys for us in fact we have the opposite problem with dudes shooting their way out of town to go to the metropolis of Kansas City or Seattle. Football players want to win and they’d rather win in Detroit than lose in New York.

You claim people are lining up to get in the club, but the sidewalk is empty...

3 hours ago, jgb said:

So then you have zero examples of players taking less money to come to the Jets — your position is on such strong ground here lol 

Now let’s get real. There are two types of players: those that take the most money possible in all cases and those that take a little less to play for winners or a specific coach who they feel with maximize their talents. Maybe once every ten years there is a guy who wants to end his career on his home town team ala Marshawn Lynch -- notice even he preferred to remain on a winner when he was a hot commodity.

This is why I really want a HC like Harbaugh or Cowher — will get us some instant cred like Parcells did. Our city ain’t recruiting guys for us in fact we have the opposite problem with dudes shooting their way out of town to go to the metropolis of Kansas City or Seattle. Football players want to win and they’d rather win in Detroit than lose in New York.

You claim people are lining up to get in the club, but the sidewalk is empty...

One more time, I never once said that they would take less money to play in NY.  You did.  Youre putting words in my mouth and then arguing it.  WTF?  

Its pretty simple actually.  You said the pull of NYC has gone away, that it doesnt matter anymore.  I said and then there Trevor Bauer who agent said he want to play in NYC, LA or Chicago a big market where he can build his brand.  Their words.  So there still are some who want a NYC location.  

As I also said, you want to argue that, argue with Trevor Bauer, tell him to avoid the Mets or Yankees.  

47 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time, I never once said that they would take less money to play in NY.  You did.  Youre putting words in my mouth and then arguing it.  WTF?  

Its pretty simple actually.  You said the pull of NYC has gone away, that it doesnt matter anymore.  I said and then there Trevor Bauer who agent said he want to play in NYC, LA or Chicago a big market where he can build his brand.  Their words.  So there still are some who want a NYC location.  

As I also said, you want to argue that, argue with Trevor Bauer, tell him to avoid the Mets or Yankees.  

If football players valued playing in NY they’d trade some money to be here. None have. Talk is cheap, money talks, BS walks pick your cliché.

My counterpoint is that maybe NY is icing for some but the cake is money and playing for a winner. It’s a tie breaker at best, basically, although Trevor seems like one the last dudes to put value in NYC.

2 hours ago, jgb said:

If football players valued playing in NY they’d trade some money to be here. None have. Talk is cheap, money talks, BS walks pick your cliché.

My counterpoint is that maybe NY is icing for some but the cake is money and playing for a winner. It’s a tie breaker at best, basically, although Trevor seems like one the last dudes to put value in NYC.

They can't afford to give up any money to come here.  The tax rate is too high.