It's time to start talking about Zach Wilson

Wilson’s arm talent is insane. He’d be talked about a lot more if this class wasn’t so strong. He’s not Rodgers or Mahomes but those are the two guys I think of when I watch him. Makes plays on and off script, always seems under control, and crazy arm talent.

The three big caveats when watching him are BYU’s schedule has been really weak thus far and will continue to be (no fault of his, all he can do is shred whoever he plays and he has), he has a LOT of time sometimes - that third video above doesn’t happen in the NFL, and I think he looks a little slight.

Still like him a lot. It’ll be kind of interesting to see if he goes back, have to imagine he’d be a huge favorite to go first overall next year.

• Upvote 4

Sweet fact about Wilson.  Coming out of High School, he was very interested in Iowa and vice versa.  Iowa was also recruiting another QB out of California (who is now the starter at Iowa).  Wilson was all scheduled to visit Iowa and likely commit, but the other QB visited a week before and Iowa accepted his commitment and Wilson never visited.

The other QB has looked absolutely awful in his 1st two starts for Iowa.  Good times.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t really follow college football so I have no idea. But it seems to me that pretty frequently the QBs taken later are the ones that turn out better. Look at at the Eli, rivers, Ben year.  Rothlisberger is clearly the best of the group.  Or look at Trubisky s year. Mahomes and Watson are clearly better than him.  And of course we have darnolds year where Allen and Jackson are turning out to be better than mayfield and darnold.  Maybe Lawrence is generational and if so the jets should pick him but maybe a guy picked after him will have better success.

• Upvote 2

A poor man Sam Darnold IMO. The amount of time wilson has in those highlights is almost HS level. That was no collapsing pocket. So are Brock Purdy and Sam True Grit Ehlinger. 
Wilson is better thrower than Purdy and Sam E.  Sam E is better thrower than Purdy. Purdy can look Drew Brees sometimes but then he also will miss like crazy. His guys drop a lot of balls too so that Doesn’t help. Wilson’s guys catch everything. Sam E’s WRs are terrible. He had a stud slot guy last year who is now playing well for Baltimore (duverney). 
His crew now is real average. JAG group for sure. He had a slot guy come back From injury I assume last week and he looks special  and that could really help. No tougher competitor than True Grit. Guy is a TD machine too. Better thrower than people give him credit for. 

Lawrence is a generational talent and specimen. Just worry about his off script accuracy with him. Its his weakness. He's athletic and fast but needs a clean pocket. But TB12 sure has done pretty well with no foot speed or impromptu abilities and a clean pocket and great arm.  Also no one knows what will happen when TL goes to a bad team and loses a lot. He’s never had that happen. Can he make it through that. No one can predict that. 

Jets and Gase will ruin him most likely although unlike with Darnold they have draft picks coming in next few years and with the  hope there is a competent GM in place this time. Now he is A “competent” GM who lost Robbie Anderson, traded Jamal Adams, Leonard Williams, Levon Bell and signed Perriman and Chris Hogan and drafted a QB in 4th round instead of a WR that can stay on field. And who has kept Herndon around and in starting line up. With his moves in last 12-16 months one has to assume he knew how talentless the Jets were, a total rebuild was necessary and getting a rookie QB deal is  just too good of a deal to pass up. And they can just run with narrative that it’s Sams fault and he’s a bust and team needs to start over. 

Fields looks different.  Super talented. He has impressed me a lot. Im watching. Seen him just two games but accuracy touch and arm strength were amazing. 

I mentioned about 2 weeks ago that he will be the 3rd QB in the mix after Lawrence & Fields.I've made a point to watch the last 3 BYU games. The one negative on Wilson (if it's a negative) is that his WRs & TE can really go get the ball and win a majority of the contested catches I've seen. Wilson has a great arm and throws a beautiful, effortless deep ball

• Upvote 2

It is impressive how this guy can fling 50-yard dimes like they're nothing. But who knows -- I'm more convinced than ever now that drafting a QB is like playing the lottery no matter how much scouting you do. The mental side of the game is so important, and the jump from college to NFL in terms of complexity and game speed is so steep, that it's impossible to say what's going to happen. Blue chippers increase your odds of finding a franchise QB, but there are no guarantees. That's the lesson from Sam Darnold.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

As I've been saying, almost every single years guys come out of the wood work and we have a 'good QB class'.  I say this in response to the crowd totally  obsessed with adding Trevor Lawrence to a talent barren team like the Jets.

So the list went from: Lawrence, to

Lawrence and Fields to

Lawrence, Fields and Lance to

Lawrence, Fields, Lance and Wilson

In the end the success of Douglas's non QB picks over the next two drafts and his 1st draft are going to be more important than the QB he takes.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Put either of those guys on the present jets team and they will look like utter crap, just like Darnold.

I get that and understand what youre saying but there isnt a position in football, in any sport as important as QB.  No position influences a teams success as much as football.  Obviously you have to get the rest right, I agree but you also have to find that guy.  Hes the most important pick to a team.  If Lawrence is the best since Luck or Manning, we're set at that spot for 12 + years.  

32 minutes ago, derp said:

Because arm strength and arm talent mean the same thing and that’s the only thing I mentioned in my post.

And?  Kind of means we agree.

Others are commenting on his arm.  Playing at BYU means a lot.  Need to see more

3 hours ago, derp said:

Wilson’s arm talent is insane. He’d be talked about a lot more if this class wasn’t so strong. He’s not Rodgers or Mahomes but those are the two guys I think of when I watch him. Makes plays on and off script, always seems under control, and crazy arm talent.

He's a stud.

This year's QB class is a bit like the 2012 one:

Two consensus 'elite' talents at the first two picks: Luck and RG3. Another one, not far behind: Tannehill.

Then you had a group consisting of Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins. 

Wilson dropped because he was 'short'. Cousins sort of unproven. 

One of Zach Wilson or Trey Lance, along with another guy not spoken about in later rounds, will surprise people by proving to be extremely good value for where they were drafted. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

As I've been saying, almost every single years guys come out of the wood work and we have a 'good QB class'.  I say this in response to the crowd totally  obsessed with adding Trevor Lawrence to a talent barren team like the Jets.

So the list went from: Lawrence, to

Lawrence and Fields to

Lawrence, Fields and Lance to

Lawrence, Fields, Lance and Wilson

In the end the success of Douglas's non QB picks over the next two drafts and his 1st draft are going to be more important than the QB he takes.

Yeah and then the year we need to take a QB it’s gonna be the Haskins/Jones type draft. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that and understand what youre saying but there isnt a position in football, in any sport as important as QB.  No position influences a teams success as much as football.  Obviously you have to get the rest right, I agree but you also have to find that guy.  Hes the most important pick to a team.  If Lawrence is the best since Luck or Manning, we're set at that spot for 12 + years.  

If.......if.........if!!!!!!!If he,TL isn't this generational. Prospect,then we lost tbe oppurtunity in one off season to fill close to all our needs on both sides of the ball.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Sweet fact about Wilson.  Coming out of High School, he was very interested in Iowa and vice versa.  Iowa was also recruiting another QB out of California (who is now the starter at Iowa).  Wilson was all scheduled to visit Iowa and likely commit, but the other QB visited a week before and Iowa accepted his commitment and Wilson never visited.

The other QB has looked absolutely awful in his 1st two starts for Iowa.  Good times.

I approve of this post

• Haha 1