The Reading Thread

Tezza

Not a huge reader but I definitely want to get back into reading I'm more of a fan of autobiographies and sci-fi fiction.

If anyone else is into reading feel free to drop the book you are reading currently and a brief overview of the plot of the book. I have a Amazon Kindle Fire and if there are any good free or cheap books that y'all can recommend that would be great.

• Upvote 1

Great idea for a thread. These days I'm more of a YouTube and Wikipedia Junkie. If I'm not watching football or boxing I'm usually reading. In fact I think I screwed up my eyes from staring at this damn screen. Maybe I just need reading glasses cuz I'm getting older LOL.

I can't really watch TV  unless it's something informative. Space, Mafia,  World War II Etc.

I was raising children for a while and didn't have much time to myself but I will recommend a few books to you.

1. David Lee Roth- Crazy from the Heat.

A great autobiography written by the diamond one himself. I'm pretty sure he just smokes a joint and rambles on.. but you will be in hysterics. The guy can really tell great stories and it's very informative from his perspective.

2. The day after Roswell.

Philip J Corso was in charge of reverse engineering the supposed Flying Saucer that was recovered in 1947 in New Mexico. You may consider it conspiracy theory, but it is fact that in the following five years the government sold research and development to the private sector to avoid the Freedom of Information Act. This included fiber Optics, computer chips, flame retardant materials, night vision Etc. Very good read.

3. The Walrus was Paul.

All about the Beatle death Clues and how they originated. It actually gets creepy at times and keep sucking you back in. Was it all coincidence? Where they playing with your mind? the most informative log I have ever found on this subject.

I have a book downstairs about the Dalai Lama and Buddhism I just haven't gotten to it yet. But again great idea for a thread and I just wanted to chime in. Enjoy!

• Sympathy 1

On 11/16/2020 at 9:54 AM, Tezza said:

Mods this can be closed, I didn't realize there was an existing thread related to reading/books 

They'll just merge it. Good on you for wanting to feed your mind. What kind of subjects interest you? I can tell you what not to read if you already feel like walking off a bridge. 

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2020 at 10:49 AM, Tezza said:

Not a huge reader but I definitely want to get back into reading I'm more of a fan of autobiographies and sci-fi fiction.

If anyone else is into reading feel free to drop the book you are reading currently and a brief overview of the plot of the book. I have a Amazon Kindle Fire and if there are any good free or cheap books that y'all can recommend that would be great.

Get library Card. Ebooks are free then. Don’t have to leave your house.  Works on kindle

Just finished Dear Leader, authored by a North Korean poet who gained favor under Kim Jung Il, landing a govt job that gave him access to information that other North Koreans didn't have.  He and a friend would escape in to China on foot and spent time on the run from the authorities before escaping to South Korea.  Currently a journalist/consultant for several news outlets.

https://www.amazon.com/Dear-Leader-Escape-North-Korea/dp/1476766568/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Dear+leader&qid=1606202393&sr=8-1

• Sympathy 1

Groupthink: Psychological Studies of Policy Decisions and Fiascoes

Another one I read recently.  Great book on our tendency to abandon individual thought in favor of going along with what the group says as a collective.

First heard about the book while reading about Kennedy's disastrous Bay of Pigs fiasco and how many within his inner circle had serious doubts but didn't want to be the one to "rock the boat" by going against what the group wanted so they nodded in agreement when the group spoke.

They obviously regretted it down the line but it was too late.  Had they been willing to speak up and tell the majority that they were wrong, it could have avoided a lot of embarrassment for Kennedy and the US.

A bit pricey but worth it IMO.

Amazon.com: Groupthink: Psychological Studies of Policy Decisions and Fiascoes (9780395317044): Janis, Irving L.: Books

Edited by AFJF

On 11/8/2020 at 10:49 AM, Tezza said:

Anything by Martin Kloos or Rick Partlow. Fun, gritty, good Sci Fi.

Galaxy's Edge. Silly, fun Space Marine stuff. 

Also, I just finished the Vespasian series by Robert Fabbri... 9 books about about Emperor Vespasian,  but really about the Roman Empire in general  Great stuff. Went from one book to the next.   

22 hours ago, AFJF said:

.....how many within his inner circle had serious doubts but didn't want to be the one to "rock the boat" by going against what the group wanted so they nodded in agreement when the group spoke.

They obviously regretted it down the line but it was too late.  Had they been willing to speak up and tell the majority that they were wrong, it could have avoided a lot of embarrassment.

Isn't that also a description of the Gase hiring?

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Isn't that also a description of the Gase hiring?

Could very well be.  Peyton told Chris Johnson to hire Gase and he did it.  Did anyone else in the room speak up to make him aware of the fact that he was hiring an incompetent maniac?  No idea.

• Upvote 1