How many millions of dollars did Jamal Adams cost himself by shooting his way out of town?

ZachEY

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

Big Picture; Jamal Adams is not a 1st round draft pick of any team other than the New York Jets. When they look at his play, he doesn't do anywhere near enough to justify much more than $8-10 million AAV . 

Seattle just gave up 2 1st round picks for him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The footage of him screaming at Pete Carroll (a SB winning coach widely praised as a whiz in the secondary) was cathartic.

So Adams figures to have now burned 2 bridges before getting to free agency. How does a GM justify paying him even $4-5 million, or giving him multiple years? Got to amend my thoughts; he's not getting anywhere near Mathieu-type contract numbers. At this rate he'll be lucky if Seattle signs him for bit above vet minimum to cover for the awfulness of the trade. 

19 hours ago, jgb said:

Don't see the relevance, but of course not.

Relevance was the other end of the spectrum: Adams had a reputation as a star player; Enunwa did not. But for both, they'd likely/surely have gotten paid more by the Jets than if they shopped around. It seems we could probably add Anderson to that in the short term, though long term he really helped himself by getting out of here.

21 hours ago, Pac said:

The team that traded 2 1sts and a 3rd.  They've locked themselves into a massive contract and I dont think that upsets them.

Seattle is way over the cap and simply does not have the cash. They were hoping he would help them get a SB win, which might actually happen. If he doesn't improve drastically, I don't see them ponying up the cash for his demands which will begin this offseason.  More than likely he will start talking about promises made to him when he agreed to play 2020 on his rookie deal etc.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, STLuLu said:

I loved having him on the Jets but I have to admit that he isn't making no difference in Seattle. Their defense still looks like garbage.

Double negative alert. I can't believe I get to use this twice in ten days but for a different reason: "Can't nobody block me." - Dewayne Robertson

BTW, I kid, I kid. I ain't no grammar po-po. 

22 hours ago, Bugg said:

Big Picture; Jamal Adams is not a 1st round draft pick of any team other than the New York Jets. When they look at his play, he doesn't do anywhere near enough to justify much more than $8-10 million AAV . 

if Budda baker and honey badger are worth 13 than adams is worth somewhere in that neighborhood 

and side note the Jets have like 50 mil in dead cap with all these trades and cuts

the idea that they traded 33 to be frugal is somewhat of a laugh 

it's not like they used the money on Robby or whatever 

they are starving the beast 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Seattle is way over the cap and simply does not have the cash. They were hoping he would help them get a SB win, which might actually happen. If he doesn't improve drastically, I don't see them ponying up the cash for his demands which will begin this offseason.  More than likely he will start talking about promises made to him when he agreed to play 2020 on his rookie deal etc.  

I don't think there is any universe where Seattle gives 3 premium picks for a 1 year rental.  When they signed the dotted line they knew they'd be making him the highest paid safety in the league this upcoming off-season.  It is inevitable.

22 hours ago, STLuLu said:

I loved having him on the Jets but I have to admit that he isn't making no difference in Seattle. Their defense still looks like garbage.

that the perfect argument for him NOT BEING ON THE JETS

who tf wnats a loudmouth a$$hole who doesnt make a difference?

7 minutes ago, Pac said:

I don't think there is any universe where Seattle gives 3 premium picks for a 1 year rental.  When they signed the dotted line they knew they'd be making him the highest paid safety in the league this upcoming off-season.  It is inevitable.

Just like Douglas was definitely going to extend Adams here, eh?

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Relevance was the other end of the spectrum: Adams had a reputation as a star player; Enunwa did not. But for both, they'd likely/surely have gotten paid more by the Jets than if they shopped around. It seems we could probably add Anderson to that in the short term, though long term he really helped himself by getting out of here.

I am glad Adams was traded and thought Quincey signing was idiotic. I’m flummoxed if you see an inconsistency in that.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

if Budda baker and honey badger are worth 13 than adams is worth somewhere in that neighborhood 

and side note the Jets have like 50 mil in dead cap with all these trades and cuts

Fair to note; if you want say Jim Harbaugh to come here, the Johnsons are going to start allowing Joe Douglas to spend money. He needs to be on Smith-Shuster's door at 0001 hours on the opening day of free agency, and not leave until he gets a signature. Johnsons act like they're getting a trophy for being cheap bastards. Same thing as to Harbaugh or another big time coach; signing ANOTHER coordinator who has never run a team is not going to fly ; it hasn't worked here. And somehow, hot dang, the Jets' HC is ALWAYS among the most reasonably-paid HC in the NFL.There is not a cap for HCs.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Cheap loser is more profitable than an expensive winner. I'm sick of "saving cap" when it's never spent wisely.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Fair to note; if you want say Jim Harbaugh to come here, the Johnsons are going to start allowing Joe Douglas to spend money. He needs to be on Smith-Shuster's door at 0001 hours on the opening day of free agency, and not leave until he gets a signature. Johnsons act like they're getting a trophy for being cheap bastards. Same thing as to Harbaugh or another big time coach; signing ANOTHER coordinator who has never run a team is not going to fly ; it hasn't worked here. And somehow, hot dang, the Jets' HC is ALWAYS among the most reasonably-paid HC in the NFL.There is not a cap for HCs.  

Profit is their trophy. In a way, Johnsholes are the smartest owners in the NFL.

8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Ok so for everyone talking about Jim Harbaugh

every college coach you've ever heard of has a contract and that contract usually requires a meaty buyout

im too lazy to look up jim harbaugh's contract with Michigan but it's gotta be large

Real world example the Carolina Panthers paid 8 mil to Baylor for the right to pay 8 mil a year to Matt Rhule 

Adam Gase makes what... 2 or 3 or 4 mil? 

the Johnsons are not in that Harbaugh, Matt Rhule market etc and they never were

Dowell Loggains is the type of coaches they hire 

they don't buyout talented coaches from places you've heard of

they find Jeremy Bates types in the woods and pay them in beef jerky 

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Say hello to Eric Bienemy!

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Sure there is and it wouldn't be a one year rental. It's the same universe where they signed Matt Flynn to a yr 3 $ 26 mil contract and never started him because their 3rd rd pick looked better in his initial Pre season. Pete Caroll is not one to get caught in stuff like that.  I get what you're saying of course, but they have Jamal under contract for 2021 and then have franchise options afterward if they so choose.  Jamal wont like it an he will do his thing most likely, but  It's more than possible that he never signs an extension with the Seahawks. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure there is and it wouldn't be a one year rental. It's the same universe where they signed Matt Flynn to a yr 3 $ 26 mil contract and never started him because their 3rd rd pick looked better in his initial Pre season. Pete Caroll is not one to get caught in stuff like that. 

Jets fans have watched this franchise pour so many resources into sunken costs over the last 2 decades, they think its the norm around the league.  It isn't.  Wise teams cut their losses when its prudent to do so.

It's very possible the Seahawks will be trying to flip Adams somewhere else by the 2021 trade deadline, if not sooner.

9 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure there is and it wouldn't be a one year rental. It's the same universe where they signed Matt Flynn to a yr 3 $ 26 mil contract and never started him because their 3rd rd pick looked better in his initial Pre season. Pete Caroll is not one to get caught in stuff like that.  I get what you're saying of course, but they have Jamal under contract for 2021 and then have franchise options afterward if they so choose.  Jamal wont like it an he will do his thing most likely, but  It's more than possible that he never signs an extension with the Seahawks. 

I guess we'll see but for the record I'd like to note my strenuous objection to your hypothesis.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jets fans have watched this franchise pour so many resources into sunken costs over the last 2 decades, they think its the norm around the league.  It isn't.  Wise teams cut their losses when its prudent to do so.

It's very possible the Seahawks will be trying to flip Adams somewhere else 1.5 years from now, if not sooner.

Right.  We have no idea what their plan was or will be. The only thing we know is they thought the value of their misused 1sts was evenly weighted against an all pro. The whole plan could be to recoup an earlier first next year from the browns if Jamal starts pissing and moaning. how dumb would the move look if they get to the SB and flip him for the 12th pick in the draft in 2021 or 2022 all while the Jets have their 32nd pick? lol 

Either way the trade was phenomenal by JD. Sure he could misuse the resources he's gained but it doesn't look that way to me even though we haven't seen much from the injury crew just yet. The capital he gained is incredible. That makes it a good trade.  And Jamal's play hasn't been bad to watch from this end either. :) 

Sort of like the Revis trade. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

I guess we'll see but for the record I'd like to note my strenuous objection to your hypothesis.

Cool.  I'll do my sincere best to remember it when it goes one way or the other.  This way I can point a finger or hide from you :)

one more point I'll quickly throw out there is the Revis trade to the Bucs.  A top 10 pick, a 4th and $16 mil guaranteed for the right to watch him get his knee back into shape for a season.  Cut the next year. It does happen.