Former Jets Interviewee McShay says"Don't Give Up on Darnold"

6 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

No, he will be with the Patriots and have a great career.

Unlikely things can sometimes happen. However, for Darnold to have a "great career" at this point (I assume you mean perennial top-10 starter, tell me if I'm wrong) he would have to become the number one example in NFL history of a QB turning things around alongside Rich Gannon. None of the other usual suspects of bad QB hope -- Brees, Favre, Tannehill, etc. -- have sucked as hard for as long as Darnold to start their careers.

So for Darnold to turn it around, he'd have to enter a current club of one and rival Gannon in turnaround. And even then Gannon only had 4 good years (years 13-17 in his career).

tl;dr I wouldn't worry about it.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Darnold missed way too many easy out passes early in the season, plus he still has tunnel vision and throws into triple coverage way too often. 

Your team can get beat & your QB could have a decent game. That's not what's happening here this year. We're getting beat & Darnold has looked terrible. This is a fait accompli if we're picking in the 1st two spots. 

Darnolds FLASHES are way too few to even consider not doing a reset in 2021. This was his 2nd year in the offense & he still looks like a rookie 3 years into his career. He was a LB turned QB, Lawrence & Fields were born to be QBs, seem to be exactly where this league is going (mobile, accurate), and have had way more consistent success in college than Darnold. 

I think the writing is on the wall & even Darnolds teammates don't believe in him anymore, based on his availability alone. He's missed a lot of games in 2 & 1/2 years. The guy playing for Dallas yesterday played as good a game as Darnold has played in 2 years. Minshew has played better than Darnold on the 2nd or 1st worst team in the league. We need to stop making excuses for Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Could it possibly be that Darnold just isn’t very good? I mean it could also be true that Darnold is just slightly better than Matt Barkley. 
Watching Josh Allen gazelle his way into the corner of the endzone yesterday had me imagining Lawrence or Fields playing like that next year. 
We keep blaming the Jets & granted the team is not very good but it could also be true that Darnold is just another QB passing through the NFL no different than 100s of others that don’t have Championship pedigree. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, HessStation said:

This is what every Jets fan wants to hear. He’s not considered complete sh*t yet in NFL circles....ie dare I say still solid trade value...fingers crossed 

McShay and JD are friends, right?  Might be throwing him a bone here...

That said, this also might just be someone who once thought Sam Darnold was going to be just not quite willing to give up on his evaluation yet.