Tanny just ripped Darnold a new one.

Wonderboy

10 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Tanny was just on CBS late night sports and gave his evaluations of the Giants and Jets.  He commended Judge and the Giants for playing hard and heading in the right direction and called the Jets a massive dissapointment. He also stated what everyone in the football world has concluded: Gase has been unable to to provide the Jets with the leadership necessary to move forward.  "It just hasn't worked out as they planned".  And in respect to Darnold, where this gets good, Tanny said Darnold is not a franchise QB. He cited Darnold's propensity to make concerning mistakes at the pro level and is not surprised since his days at USC were just similar.  Asked if Gase and Darnold are in the Jets future, Tanny stated that decision would also fall on JD since he is the GM and its his responsibility.  According to Tanny, Gase and Darnold have the 2nd half of the season to move the needle and convince JD to retain them  I know many on here don't like Tanny but  he's spot on here.   Reading between the lines, Tanny has zero faith in Gase and Darnold and has serious question marks about JD as well.

Not for nothing, but Tannenbaum is not even an armchair GM, he used to be one. Why wasn't he Wiley E. Coyote Super Genius when he had the job with the Jets? He was constantly overpaying people. SOMETHING, anything about Tebow should be chiseled on his gravestone, just sayin'.

Maybe time and distance has given him a better perspective in general and I'm not saying he's wrong per se, but I have to take this with a knee-jerk grain of salt. It's like when people let their kids run around like animals in a restaurant and if you say something, the first thing out of their mouths is, "Do YOU have kids?" "No, but that doesn't cancel out that your kids are running around the restaurant like animals."

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, jgb said:

The Tanny hate here is overblown. We had a championship window and Tanny went all in. Ok, we didn't get a ring, but how can you critique the attempt?

If we were truly "all in", the keys shouldn't have been handed to a flawed QB prospect with only 21 college starts.

By all means draft a QB, but certainly he should have had a veteran option handy.  

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

I still firmly believe the following: Tanny never really wanted Tebow (nor did Rex)...  but made the deal when Woody Johnson pushed for it;

The "pacify Mark Sanchez because we hurt his feelings" ridiculous extension was also commanded (or, at a minimum, approved) by Woody.

Then why did Woody Johnson fire Tannenbaum mere months after the Tebow signing and Sanchez extension happened?

If Tannenbaum was just being the "good soldier" he shouldn't have gotten fired over that.  Certainly if that were the case, by now we'd have heard complaints from Tannenbaum on how he was treated in NY.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then why did Woody Johnson fire Tannenbaum mere months after the Tebow signing and Sanchez extension happened?

If Tannenbaum was just being the "good soldier" he shouldn't have gotten fired over that.  Certainly if that were the case, by now we'd have heard complaints from Tannenbaum on how he was treated in NY.  

There's always a scapegoat, maybe? Tanny would never point the finger at Woody, even if deserved. Its not his style and would give himself a worse look than he already has.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Tanny was hands down the best GM we've ever heard, criminally disrespected by this fanbase just like anyone who has ever been successful here. Really is strange dynamic with Jets, they hate anyone that was good. 

Being the "best GM" in recent Jets history does not make him good.  He seemingly forgot how to draft starting in 2008.  You can't have 5 straight bad drafts and expect to keep your job.  

Meanwhile, we didn't win any trophies under Tannenbaum's watch.  So it's not like the "good old days" were really all that good.  Better than now?  Sure.  But again, that didn't make Tannenbaum a good GM.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

There's always a scapegoat, maybe? Tanny would never point the finger at Woody, even if deserved. Its not his style and would give himself a worse look than he already has.

Maybe, but nearly a decade later?  You would think at least some bitterness would have come out from his end by now.  He hasn't been hired by a team since 2018 so the time of being a "good soldier" is long over.

51 minutes ago, jgb said:

He can certainly be critiqued for some of his choices—going all in on that team isn’t one of them IMHO

Going all in was fine.  Going all in with Mark Sanchez, with just 21 flawed college starts under his belt, not fine.  Not sure why you're failing to see these as 2 distinct points.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe, but nearly a decade later?  You would think at least some bitterness would have come out from his end by now.  He hasn't been hired by a team since 2018 so the time of being a "good soldier" is long over.

It would have nothing to do with employment prospects.  Its just not his way. 

Just now, Dcat said:

It would have nothing to do with employment prospects.  Its just not his way. 

Yeah, I don't see it.  Collision Low Crossers painted the Sanchez extension and Tebow pickup as far more of a Tannenbaum/Rex decision than anything having to do with Woody Johnson.  If it had happened that way, it would have been mentioned in the book.  

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Being the "best GM" in recent Jets history does not make him good.  He seemingly forgot how to draft starting in 2008.  You can't have 5 straight bad drafts and expect to keep your job.  

Meanwhile, we didn't win any trophies under Tannenbaum's watch.  So it's not like the "good old days" were really all that good.  Better than now?  Sure.  But again, that didn't make Tannenbaum a good GM.  

He was a good GM.  He drafted a HOF'er, had above .500 overall record as GM, went to the playoffs 3 times, won 4 playoff games.

When you add the Jets to the equation, you're already starting negative, so yeah, I'd say that's "good". 

• Sympathy 1

The Jets traded a 4th and 6th for Tebow and a 7th.  They used the 7th in the trade up for Stephen Hill.  The 4th was somebody that never made it, but the 6th was Danny Trevathan.  If you look at the defenses that guy has played on there are a lot of single digits in points and yards allowed between Denver and Chicago.  Kind of makes me feel like when we traded a 5th for Brandon Marshall.  I mean, I know that safety isn't a high value position, but it would have been nice to have Adrian Amos for 4 years cheap, wouldn't it? 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

He was a good GM.  He drafted a HOF'er, had above .500 overall record as GM, went to the playoffs 3 times, won 4 playoff games.

When you add the Jets to the equation, you're already starting negative, so yeah, I'd say that's "good". 

So why did he completely forget how to draft from 2008-2012?  Makes no sense. 

The dude was an accountant who depended on others (like Terry Bradway, Eric Mangini, etc) to help him draft.  Without specific elements in place, he sucked at drafting.  Nevermind the tons of bad contracts he signed, like Sanchez and Santonio Holmes, who ALL knew at the time would be disastrous.  Plus the guys he signed on Rex's recommendation, like Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason.

Again, being "good by Jets standards" isn't good.  

So why did he completely forget how to draft from 2008-2012?  Makes no sense.  

Again, being "good by Jets standards" isn't good.  

Demario Davis is an all-pro.  Wilkerson was a very good player on his rookie contract.  That draft also yielded 2 criminally underrated Jets, Kerley and Powell. 2010 was a disaster. 2009 was a long term disaster, yet Sanchez, Greene and Slauson did contribute to those runs.  Keller was a solid player preinjury and Lowery had solid career.  Believe it or not, that's better than most.  He was a good GM for the NY Jets.

• Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Tanny was just on CBS late night sports and gave his evaluations of the Giants and Jets.  He commended Judge and the Giants for playing hard and heading in the right direction and called the Jets a massive dissapointment. He also stated what everyone in the football world has concluded: Gase has been unable to to provide the Jets with the leadership necessary to move forward.  "It just hasn't worked out as they planned".  And in respect to Darnold, where this gets good, Tanny said Darnold is not a franchise QB. He cited Darnold's propensity to make concerning mistakes at the pro level and is not surprised since his days at USC were just similar.  Asked if Gase and Darnold are in the Jets future, Tanny stated that decision would also fall on JD since he is the GM and its his responsibility.  According to Tanny, Gase and Darnold have the 2nd half of the season to move the needle and convince JD to retain them  I know many on here don't like Tanny but  he's spot on here.   Reading between the lines, Tanny has zero faith in Gase and Darnold and has serious question marks about JD as well.

One could make a very strong argument that Danny Dimes is much worse than Darnold in this category.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

I don't remember the Ravens or Steelers flipping their GM's and HC's every 3 years and if they did their rosters would be as bad as the Jets.  These two teams are committed to front office consistency and smart drafting.  It's why they rarely have down seasons.  They may retool, they may have periods when they lose their QB, but otherwise they are steady-Eddies every year and are always one good draft and a few lucky bounces from the AFC Championship Game.

Gase is exactly what a team purposely executing a deep rebuild needs.  Someone who is even-keeled.  Someone who is unflappable against media attacks.  Someone who takes the body blows and protects his players.  An Alpha who knows what he wants and is decisive.

Gase isn't causing us to lose.  Mike Maccagnan is.  Gase may or may not be the right guy when we are ready to win again.  But for now, he's perfect.

SAR I

Borderline insane.  If the coach has no accountability, how can you hold the players to a standard?

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh, GM is not HC.  Those guys dont bounce around.  Most GM's are 1 and done.

As a GM, sure, but they still remaining employed for the most part.  It's easy to hide a former GM in your front office in a multitude of different roles. 

Terry Bradway, for instance, was essentially demoted to a scout here.  John Idzik has been a "special assistant to the GM" in Jacksonville since 2015.  Maccagnan and Tannenbaum, meanwhile, are unemployed.  Tannenbaum since 2018, and Macc since he was fired here.

As a GM, sure, but they still remaining employed for the most part.  It's easy to hide a former GM in your front office in a multitude of different roles.  John Idzik has been a "special assistant to the GM" in Jacksonville since 2015.  Maccagnan and Tannenbaum, meanwhile, are unemployed.  Tannenbaum since 2018, and Macc since he was fired here.

20+ years in the NFL, 3 at ESPN, many dudes have done something similar and gone back or dont  idk, who cares, whatever, either way it's very silly way to measure his success here.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Going all in was fine.  Going all in with Mark Sanchez, with just 21 flawed college starts under his belt, not fine.  Not sure why you're failing to see these as 2 distinct points.

Huh? Not sure where you believed I am not.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we were truly "all in", the keys shouldn't have been handed to a flawed QB prospect with only 21 college starts.

By all means draft a QB, but certainly he should have had a veteran option handy.  

We are discussing two different things. Congratulations you’ve won the argument against yourself.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

The Tanny hate here is overblown. We had a championship window and Tanny went all in. Ok, we didn't get a ring, but how can you critique the attempt?

The Sanchez contract and Tebow moves were egregious errors that ultimately cost him his job - but I agree that he gets too much hate. He's on a different level from guys like Idzik or Macc, IMO. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

The Sanchez contract and Tebow moves were egregious errors that ultimately cost him his job - but I agree that he gets too much hate. He's on a different level from guys like Idzik or Macc, IMO. 

Talking about the big FA signings in 09-10. You want to debate 11 and beyond, you won’t find anyone except maybe SAR taking the opposite position.

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yeah, his work before 2011 was fine. 

Some Jets fans blame him for blowing his FA wad before committing the egregious error of the Sanchez extension. These are the “championship or it don’t count” crowd.

Just now, jgb said:

Some Jets fans blame him for blowing his FA wad before committing the egregious error of the Sanchez extension. These are the “championship or it don’t count” crowd.

Tanny was aggressive about acquiring the talent that he wanted. He had conviction and worked well with two very different coaching personalities in Mangini and Rex. I don't have anything against him, and when he was fired after 2012, I felt that he should have gotten to come back with Rex for one more run. I felt that either both should get fired or they both should have gotten one more chance. 

The real mistake was the Idzik-Rex arranged marriage. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

I always liked Tanny.  He faltered with the Rex Jets because Rex was making too many roster decisions and Tanny was a push over for it.  

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Tanny was aggressive about acquiring the talent that he wanted. He had conviction and worked well with two very different coaching personalities in Mangini and Rex. I don't have anything against him, and when he was fired after 2012, I felt that he should have gotten to come back with Rex for one more run. I felt that either both should get fired or they both should have gotten one more chance. 

The real mistake was the Idzik-Rex arranged marriage. 

Agree fully.  The issue was that Rex and not Tanny was calling the shots  on roster decisions.  That is why the roster went from excellent to good, to bad to disasterous.  IMHO, Johnson was ultimately the one to blame because he didn't recognize this issue and act to correct it.