2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

4 hours ago, JiF said:

The Mets blew another incredible deGrom outing, which means it's official, Baseball is back and the Mets are still the METS!!!!

LFGM BABY!!!

For about two hours yesterday, I allowed myself to think things would be different this year.  Playing well defensively.  Phillies were the ones making mistakes on the bases and in the field.  Was a little concerned about lack of timely hits to blow things open when they had a chance, but it was looking good.

Then the bullpen came in it looked just like last year.  6 scoreless from deGrom, not enough timely hitting, lousy bullpen and bad defense cost us a game.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  I know it is only 1 of 162, but its hard to feel good after watching that last night.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

For about two hours yesterday, I allowed myself to think things would be different this year.  Playing well defensively.  Phillies were the ones making mistakes on the bases and in the field.  Was a little concerned about lack of timely hits to blow things open when they had a chance, but it was looking good.

Then the bullpen came in it looked just like last year.  6 scoreless from deGrom, not enough timely hitting, lousy bullpen and bad defense cost us a game.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  I know it is only 1 of 162, but its hard to feel good after watching that last night.

If that didnt take all the wind out of the offseason sail, I dont know what would.  It's easy to say, 1 of 162 but dude, it's the same sh*t every single year. 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

If that didnt take all the wind out of the offseason sail, I dont know what would.  It's easy to say, 1 of 162 but dude, it's the same sh*t every single year. 

Last night was the Opening Day baseball equivalent of a rookie QB throwing a pick 6 on his first throw.  New  regime, new optimism, same old Mets.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Icer said:

lol at Conforto leaning into strike 3 to get HBP

A Win is a Win!

Exactly.  You take a W however you can get it. 

Only 4 games, but Conforto has to get his head out of his ass.  He has had so many at bats with guys in scoring position and has looked at strike 3 seemingly every time.  It worked for him today, but he clearly threw his forearm into that one.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Exactly.  You take a W however you can get it. 

Only 4 games, but Conforto has to get his head out of his ass.  He has had so many at bats with guys in scoring position and has looked at strike 3 seemingly every time.  It worked for him today, but he clearly threw his forearm into that one.

I'll tell you what. Donnie baseball is old school. If I were Conforto, I wouldn't get too comfortable in the box first at bat Saturday.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:12 PM, section314 said:

I'll tell you what. Donnie baseball is old school. If I were Conforto, I wouldn't get too comfortable in the box first at bat Saturday.

Like Donnie didn’t lean into a pitch in his career? If anything I would think he’d tip his hat on

On 4/11/2021 at 5:25 PM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Someone tell Stroman to SHUT UP and just worry about pitching . He's only a lifetime .500 pitcher .

Did a really nice job last night.  Would have liked to see him finish it off. Nice to see some timely hits for a change.

The only thing worse than 7 inning games is when one of them goes to extras and you have to deal with the runner on 2nd rule in the 8th inning.  Manfred is ruining this game.  But at least we won yesterday.  Twice.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Did a really nice job last night.  Would have liked to see him finish it off. Nice to see some timely hits for a change.

The only thing worse than 7 inning games is when one of them goes to extras and you have to deal with the runner on 2nd rule in the 8th inning.  Manfred is ruining this game.  But at least we won yesterday.  Twice.

You need to put this in the proper tense.....Manfred has ruined the game.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

You need to put this in the proper tense.....Manfred has ruined the game.

2nd game last night was a brisk 2 hours 30 minutes. May just be a matter of time before 9 inning games are a thing of the past. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

2nd game last night was a brisk 2 hours 30 minutes. May just be a matter of time before 9 inning games are a thing of the past. 

Totally different topic......saw in paper today that some members of the Senate are going to introduce legislation to remove baseball's anti-trust exemption because of them moving the All Star game from Atlanta. Just keeps getting better.

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Totally different topic......saw in paper today that some members of the Senate are going to introduce legislation to remove baseball's anti-trust exemption because of them moving the All Star game from Atlanta. Just keeps getting better.

To prevent myself from getting banned, I am only going to comment that everything in our society has become politicized, so why should baseball be any different.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

To prevent myself from getting banned, I am only going to comment that everything in our society has become politicized, so why should baseball be any different.

Agreed. Besids,, we're only starting rd 5 in our mock. You can't get banned for another week.?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

Agreed. Besids,, we're only starting rd 5 in our mock. You can't get banned for another week.?

Until they come to cancel the JN Mock Draft due to Desaun Watson sympathisers **cough** @T0mShane ... **cough** @32EBoozer almost forgot **cough** @Jetsfan80

Edited by 32EBoozer
All for one and one for all!!
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Make it happen. 

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Just now, JiF said:

The Mets should petition the league for 7 inning games.  We'd be unstoppable. 

do it jewish GIF

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

The Mets should petition the league for 7 inning games.  We'd be unstoppable. 

Union would never allow it. Teams would only need 5 starters, max. 7 innings, 80 pitches, guy could pitch every 4 days. Plus, could knock off 3-4 bullpen guys. Owners would love it.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Union would never allow it. Teams would only need 5 starters, max. 7 innings, 80 pitches, guy could pitch every 4 days. Plus, could knock off 3-4 bullpen guys. Owners would love it.

deGrom would go 30-0 w/ 22 complete games.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Snowflakes.

• Haha 2

Antoher game postponed.  That is 6 in two weeks.  And snow in the forecast tomorrow in Colorado.  Pitching depth is really going to be tested as the season progresses.

Now, I am actually going to have to spend my afternoon working.  

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Lith said:

Antoher game postponed.  That is 6 in two weeks.  And snow in the forecast tomorrow in Colorado.  Pitching depth is really going to be tested as the season progresses.

Now, I am actually going to have to spend my afternoon working.  

So you're saying we're still in first place.

• Sympathy 1

I'm starting to wonder if this might wind up being a positive thing for the locker room. sh*t like this can sometimes bring a team together. At least all of these 7-inning games should work to their benefit. If you're Rojas you have to get DeGrom and Stroman on the mound for as many of those as possible.

40 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Good Mets win today for deGrom. 14 K’s and a run scored. Pete with an rbi double and HR. Diaz strikes out the side to close

I don't think you can underestimate how big a win that was.  I know its only April, and no game is that big right now, but to lose another deGrom start after such a dominating stretch would have been rough.  But they finally picked deGrom up in the 7th.  And then a clean inning in relief from Diaz, which has been so rare in a save situation.  I thought this was a huge win today.

Now, lets see if they can find a way to come back in the nightcap.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't think you can underestimate how big a win that was.  I know its only April, and no game is that big right now, but to lose another deGrom start after such a dominating stretch would have been rough.  But they finally picked deGrom up in the 7th.  And then a clean inning in relief from Diaz, which has been so rare in a save situation.  I thought this was a huge win today.

Now, lets see if they can find a way to come back in the nightcap.

Agreed. It starts getting in people’s heads..... deGrom’s (although he denies it) and the everyday players who start pressing at the plate. Hoping this gets the monkey off everyone’s back. Is his ERA actually 0.45 ?!

• Upvote 1