2021 New York Mets Thread

1 hour ago, section314 said:

In all seriousness, Bonilla's agent was a genius.

You have to remember who he was negotiating with--The Wilpons. At the time of those deferment deals, it was the height of the Ponzi scheme and they were getting returns that they thought were going to last forever. Deferring money at an 8% payback, based on what they were receiving probably seemed like a gift from God. You what they say about a fool and his money.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is a new era, and time to leave the stench of the threads that were controlled by the Wilpons. Let's start anew. LFGM!!!

Love this.  Just gotta make sure we can extend Lindor beyond 2021.

I'm more than ok signing a player who offers 80% of what JT brings to the table at a 50% discount and less years. Now use those savings on Springer and Bauer, extending Conforto and beefing up bullpen

Posted Images

On 2/11/2021 at 9:52 AM, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

I've been a Mets fan since the beginning in 1962 and I have to say that I don't have a lot of hope for the team in the next couple of years.

I think their pitching is somewhat overrated. Yes, deGrom is one of the best in the game, but the rest of the rotation is not that great. Carrasco is ok, Stroman is JAG, IMHO, and Peterson is too young to know what he will be. Thor will probably not be that great, it usually takes some time after TJ to regain effectiveness. And I am still not sold on the bullpen, especially Diaz.

The defense is improved, but not as much as we think. McCann is a quantum improvement, yes, and McNeil is better than Cano. But the the improvement with Lindor just isn't that much on defense over Gimenez, and there is still a gigantic hole in CF (obviously, I am not a big Nimmo fan).

And now we have Bottomshopper Alderson back in control.  Just a question, if we are so concerned with the luxury tax limit now, what is it going to be like next year, when Cano comes back on the books, and Lindor, Conforto and Thor all need to be re-signed. I will bet that they let 2 of those 3 walk. I will be shocked if they re-sign Lindor and Conforto.

Lets face facts. They are not as good as the Braves or the Nats. And they won't get the WC over the Padres.

Was feeling same thing about their pitching. Not a huge fan of Stroman.  He's ok but really needs a stellar infield to pitch behind and we are below average in that aspect right now.  Peterson looks like a real find. Look forward to him maturing and becoming the lefty Matz should have evolved into.  We needs another lefty starter.  And the bullpen is still a huge question mark with overhyped, over the hill relievers like Betances and Familia.  The Familia contract has to be the worst in recent sports history. How do we resign this bum after he literally choked in WS against the Royals. OMG.  I know nothing of this new Walker guy. Sounds like he could be the key to keep this rotation decent.  Diaz must step up. They really need to get that kid Chapman from the A's. That would be huge for them.  Mauricio and Baty plus could do it. 

On 2/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, Scott Dierking said:

You have to remember who he was negotiating with--The Wilpons. At the time of those deferment deals, it was the height of the Ponzi scheme and they were getting returns that they thought were going to last forever. Deferring money at an 8% payback, based on what they were receiving probably seemed like a gift from God. You what they say about a fool and his money.

I’m not sure about a company as big as the Mets but borrowing money at 8% for a company is a more than reasonable interest rate

On 2/14/2021 at 2:15 PM, section314 said:

Agreed. That’s the rock and the hard place you put yourself in when you are so analytical in your thinking. It almost takes the “eye test “ out of managing.

So true. Its hard to argue the logic when its worked for as long as its worked for them, but its baseball and there are things you cant measure and moments you cant script. Its not like they have actually won a championship with this formula. 

Heres the issue. If the manager stays with the pitcher and he loses, hes wrong and the front office says you didnt follow the plan. If he stays with him and wins he is still gonna have to answer to them for why he took the risk and now hes not a team player. If he sticks with the plan and loses hes a good company man and if he sticks with the plan and wins the front office takes the credit. So 3 of the 4 scenarios are bad for the manager. The only way he wins (in the eyes of his boss) is by staying on autopilot. Im sorry but that structure has too much downside and not enough benefit for the manager. His job is more secure by contributing less than by doing more. Thats the way bureaucracies operate and its not conducive to winning.    

The analysts should report to the manager, not to the GM. Think about it, who knows best what information is needed or how it should be tailored? Who´s job is it to communicate to the players and get them ready? The manager. The front office has every right to choose the manger but they should let him manage. The way its being done now undermines the manager to the people he leads and lessens his impact and thats counter productive. Id also have the players talking with the analysts, maybe they do talk I dont know, but this stuff is still in its infancy and both sides have a lot to learn from the other. I do know that a lot of players dont trust the analysts, who are essentially coaches. Stands to reason that if they are communicating directly to the players the players trust in them and their data would improve.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Rich said:

So true. Its hard to argue the logic when its worked for as long as its worked for them, but its baseball and there are things you cant measure and moments you cant script. Its not like they have actually won a championship with this formula. 

Heres the issue. If the manager stays with the pitcher and he loses, hes wrong and the front office says you didnt follow the plan. If he stays with him and wins he is still gonna have to answer to them for why he took the risk and now hes not a team player. If he sticks with the plan and loses hes a good company man and if he sticks with the plan and wins the front office takes the credit. So 3 of the 4 scenarios are bad for the manager. The only way he wins (in the eyes of his boss) is by staying on autopilot. Im sorry but that structure has too much downside and not enough benefit for the manager. His job is more secure by contributing less than by doing more. Thats the way bureaucracies operate and its not conducive to winning.    

The analysts should report to the manager, not to the GM. Think about it, who knows best what information is needed or how it should be tailored? Who´s job is it to communicate to the players and get them ready? The manager. The front office has every right to choose the manger but they should let him manage. The way its being done now undermines the manager to the people he leads and lessens his impact and thats counter productive. Id also have the players talking with the analysts, maybe they do talk I dont know, but this stuff is still in its infancy and both sides have a lot to learn from the other. I do know that a lot of players dont trust the analysts, who are essentially coaches. Stands to reason that if they are communicating directly to the players the players trust in them and their data would improve.   

Great post.

Really nice article today in the paper by Justin Toscano, MLB writer for USA Today. Since last March, deGrom has been mentoring Matt Allan, the #1 pitching prospect in the system. His main message, don't make the game over complicated, trust your stuff. Sounds like this kid is pretty close. Good read.

• 3 weeks later...

This might be a blessing. He pitched 68 innings last year, how far over that were they planning to go with him this season? 120? 140? If we cant survive the first 6 weeks without him its not gonna matter anyway so we are better off getting his innings down the stretch and in the PS where he's proven.  

As long as he comes back healthy he'll get 20-22 starts which is probably close to the original plan they have for him. Rojas is so smart. He told us they were sticking with the 5 man rotation, what he didnt say was if they get 30 starts out of Jake and Stroman and 25 out of Walker and Cookie he still needs 50 plus starts to get to 162. That's 4 or 5 additional pitchers who will start unless one of the 5th starters has a break out year. I know Syndergaard is one of those guys but the first year back is tough. Anything you get is a bonus and I wouldnt count on him being great right away. 

On 11/10/2020 at 5:27 PM, Beerfish said:

I am not a Mets fan in  particular but the new owner sounded very good in his presser.  Sounds like all the things I wish I could hear from the jets owners.

Should be some real optimism for mets fans.

Its interesting to get an opinion from someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight. Especially on something like this. Has your view on him changed for better or worse since then? 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Its interesting to get an opinion from someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight. Especially on something like this. Has your view on him changed for better or worse since then? 

Couldn't really form an opinion.  I know they were in on some high profile guys in FA.  Have not followed their moves that close.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, section314 said:

Now get Conforto done.Let’s go Mets. Play Ball.😁⚾

Supposedly looking like conforto is hitting the open market, which with a boras client, happens more often than not 

Lindor deal has the Piazza feel to me.  Great news.  Hoping Thor gets signed and returns to his hammer-wielding ways.

Fun Fact: When the 10-year deal is complete, we will still be paying Bobby Bonilla for 3 more years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, section314 said:

Give every team two Mulligans. After that, you forfeit.

its incredible these players are not required to get vaccinated - just moronic

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 8:31 AM, section314 said:

Really nice article today in the paper by Justin Toscano, MLB writer for USA Today. Since last March, deGrom has been mentoring Matt Allan, the #1 pitching prospect in the system. His main message, don't make the game over complicated, trust your stuff. Sounds like this kid is pretty close. Good read.

I hope he's not related to Matt Harvey

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

its incredible these players are not required to get vaccinated - just moronic

Nuts. The fans have to provide proof of tests  or shots just to get in the ballpark.

On 4/1/2021 at 3:53 PM, section314 said:

Nuts. The fans have to provide proof of tests  or shots just to get in the ballpark.

MLB has just had an all around embarrassing start to the season. 

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

Manfred is an unmitigated douchebag.

Goodell is a hump of the highest order but good god Manfred and Silver just continue to step on every rake they could ever step on. 

• Post of the Week 1

The Mets blew another incredible deGrom outing, which means it's official, Baseball is back and the Mets are still the METS!!!!

LFGM BABY!!!

• Upvote 2