2021 New York Mets Thread

1 hour ago, section314 said:

In all seriousness, Bonilla's agent was a genius.

You have to remember who he was negotiating with--The Wilpons. At the time of those deferment deals, it was the height of the Ponzi scheme and they were getting returns that they thought were going to last forever. Deferring money at an 8% payback, based on what they were receiving probably seemed like a gift from God. You what they say about a fool and his money.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is a new era, and time to leave the stench of the threads that were controlled by the Wilpons. Let's start anew. LFGM!!!

Love this.  Just gotta make sure we can extend Lindor beyond 2021.

I'm more than ok signing a player who offers 80% of what JT brings to the table at a 50% discount and less years. Now use those savings on Springer and Bauer, extending Conforto and beefing up bullpen

Posted Images

On 2/11/2021 at 9:52 AM, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

I've been a Mets fan since the beginning in 1962 and I have to say that I don't have a lot of hope for the team in the next couple of years.

I think their pitching is somewhat overrated. Yes, deGrom is one of the best in the game, but the rest of the rotation is not that great. Carrasco is ok, Stroman is JAG, IMHO, and Peterson is too young to know what he will be. Thor will probably not be that great, it usually takes some time after TJ to regain effectiveness. And I am still not sold on the bullpen, especially Diaz.

The defense is improved, but not as much as we think. McCann is a quantum improvement, yes, and McNeil is better than Cano. But the the improvement with Lindor just isn't that much on defense over Gimenez, and there is still a gigantic hole in CF (obviously, I am not a big Nimmo fan).

And now we have Bottomshopper Alderson back in control.  Just a question, if we are so concerned with the luxury tax limit now, what is it going to be like next year, when Cano comes back on the books, and Lindor, Conforto and Thor all need to be re-signed. I will bet that they let 2 of those 3 walk. I will be shocked if they re-sign Lindor and Conforto.

Lets face facts. They are not as good as the Braves or the Nats. And they won't get the WC over the Padres.

Was feeling same thing about their pitching. Not a huge fan of Stroman.  He's ok but really needs a stellar infield to pitch behind and we are below average in that aspect right now.  Peterson looks like a real find. Look forward to him maturing and becoming the lefty Matz should have evolved into.  We needs another lefty starter.  And the bullpen is still a huge question mark with overhyped, over the hill relievers like Betances and Familia.  The Familia contract has to be the worst in recent sports history. How do we resign this bum after he literally choked in WS against the Royals. OMG.  I know nothing of this new Walker guy. Sounds like he could be the key to keep this rotation decent.  Diaz must step up. They really need to get that kid Chapman from the A's. That would be huge for them.  Mauricio and Baty plus could do it. 

On 2/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, Scott Dierking said:

You have to remember who he was negotiating with--The Wilpons. At the time of those deferment deals, it was the height of the Ponzi scheme and they were getting returns that they thought were going to last forever. Deferring money at an 8% payback, based on what they were receiving probably seemed like a gift from God. You what they say about a fool and his money.

I’m not sure about a company as big as the Mets but borrowing money at 8% for a company is a more than reasonable interest rate