2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Pillar is one tough, gutty SOB. 

Hell yeah, awesome moment him getting a hit too.

On another note, I was bouncing between the Islanders game (what a game!!! @Lith) and this game.  I think the break may have helped Alonso, I know its one game but he looked different swinging the ball from the last time I remember him at the plate.  I think he was playing through injury at that point but he was giving that bat some old school Alonso rips last night.  Timing looked much better.  Hopefully start of something good.

• Sympathy 2

14 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

On another note, I was bouncing between the Islanders game (what a game!!! @Lith) and this game.  I think the break may have helped Alonso, I know its one game but he looked different swinging the ball from the last time I remember him at the plate.  I think he was playing through injury at that point but he was giving that bat some old school Alonso rips last night.  Timing looked much better.  Hopefully start of something good.

Mets on the laptop and the Isles on the TV last night.  deGrom hs become can't miss TV, so even with the playoff game last night, I was watching both, at least until the D-backs got their first hit, then it was all Isles and back to the Mets after the hockey game ended.

Great first game back for Alonzo.  Another guy who looks really good at the plate is Billy Mckinney.  I honestly can't remember the last time we had enough runs for deGrom that the bullpen didn't need to be perfect for him to get the W.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Great point. I think he was trying to stay on the field because so many guys were down. He’s young, and it takes awhile for guys to realize they are hurting the team more by playing  than by taking some time to get right.It’s a hard thing to come to grip with, especially since the Mets count so heavily on him.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Mets on the laptop and the Isles on the TV last night.  deGrom hs become can't miss TV, so even with the playoff game last night, I was watching both, at least until the D-backs got their first hit, then it was all Isles and back to the Mets after the hockey game ended.

Great first game back for Alonzo.  Another guy who looks really good at the plate is Billy Mckinney.  I honestly can't remember the last time we had enough runs for deGrom that the bullpen didn't need to be perfect for him to get the W.

The Islanders are a tough out. Gutty team.

8 2/3 innings, 1 run from the pen.  Nice bounce back after struggling a bit in the last two days.  Lindor finally swinging a good bat as is McCann. 

Should have swept the series, but any time you take 2 out of 3 on the road, you really can't complain.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

8 2/3 innings, 1 run from the pen.  Nice bounce back after struggling a bit in the last two days.  Lindor finally swinging a good bat as is McCann. 

Should have swept the series, but any time you take 2 out of 3 on the road, you really can't complain.  

I think the  Mets should do with Peterson what the Jays did with Haladay early in his career….send him down  to  A ball and teach him to pitch all over again. They can’t have him up here anymore.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think the  Mets should do with Peterson what the Jays did with Haladay early in his career….send him down  to  A ball and teach him to pitch all over again. They can’t have him up here anymore.

I really thought he might have turned a corner in that great start against Tampa a few weeks ago.  But he has been awful ever since.  Problem with sending him down right now, is we don't have enough starters to eat innings.  Although he didn't do much today to help out the bullpen. 

14 hours ago, Lith said:

I really thought he might have turned a corner in that great start against Tampa a few weeks ago.  But he has been awful ever since.  Problem with sending him down right now, is we don't have enough starters to eat innings.  Although he didn't do much today to help out the bullpen. 

Very fair point. A call up is starting tonight. Peterson is just too much of a liability right now. Looks like his confidence is long gone.

26 minutes ago, section314 said:

Very fair point. A call up is starting tonight. Peterson is just too much of a liability right now. Looks like his confidence is long gone.

I thought Walker was going tonight.  Would love to come out of SD with a split of these 4 games.  West coast is always tough but the Padres are sturggling a bit for the first time this season.

• Sympathy 1

Mets get the split in SD. Stroman throws another 5 strong innings. McCann with a 2 run insurance  dinger. 

Remember Michael Fuller? Watching Yanks-Sox and Fuller going on IL. From AL ROTY and All-Star to middling pitcher. You never know what will happen!

image.thumb.png.355f1a1fea329bdb429d9e29c7fb3fb0.png

I’ll be curious watching Kelenic’s career play out. 
0.96 BA on 83 AB  

2 homers 1st 6 AB & 6 rbi   After that nothing

2021 21 SEA AL 22 92 83 7 8 2 0 2 6 3 0

On 6/6/2021 at 10:37 PM, 32EBoozer said:

Mets get the split in SD. Stroman throws another 5 strong innings. McCann with a 2 run insurance  dinger. 

Remember Michael Fuller? Watching Yanks-Sox and Fuller going on IL. From AL ROTY and All-Star to middling pitcher. You never know what will happen!

image.thumb.png.355f1a1fea329bdb429d9e29c7fb3fb0.png

I’ll be curious watching Kelenic’s career play out. 
0.96 BA on 83 AB  

2 homers 1st 6 AB & 6 rbi   After that nothing

2021 21 SEA AL 22 92 83 7 8 2 0 2 6 3 0

Just was sent back down to AAA. Lots of K's. More than likely has to work on hitting the curve ball. Everyone in the show can hit fastballs.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2021 at 9:38 AM, section314 said:

Think I am with you on Peterson after this start.  He needs to go back down and get himself right.  Not sure what the alternative is, but the kid is lost out there.

• Upvote 2

On 6/8/2021 at 7:59 PM, Lith said:

Think I am with you on Peterson after this start.  He needs to go back down and get himself right.  Not sure what the alternative is, but the kid is lost out there.

He has 15-18 starts left if he stays in the rotation. Mets can’t just give up those games as this race is gonna get intense. Lets’s go Islanders.?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, section314 said:

He has 15-18 starts left if he stays in the rotation. Mets can’t just give up those games as this race is gonna get intense. Lets’s go Islanders.?

Thanks.   You are a Devils guy, right?  I would hope some non-Islander fans would at least take pleasure out of sending a Boston team packing.  And we probably would not have done it without our former Devils: Palmieri, Sajac, Greene and most importantly Lamoriello.

Keeping with the hockey theme, maybe we should just "double shift" deGrom and Walker.  

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Lith said:

Thanks.   You are a Devils guy, right?  I would hope some non-Islander fans would at least take pleasure out of sending a Boston team packing.  

Absolutely.  (Fairweather) Devils fan here who is happy to root for the Islanders, especially against the Rangers or Bruins.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Lith said:

Thanks.   You are a Devils guy, right?  I would hope some non-Islander fans would at least take pleasure out of sending a Boston team packing.  And we probably would not have done it without our former Devils: Palmieri, Sajac, Greene and most importantly Lamoriello.

Keeping with the hockey theme, maybe we should just "double shift" deGrom and Walker.  

LOL. Add Strohman to that line, and make sure Peterson is a healthy scratch the rest of the way.  "Coaches decision."

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Am I the only one who thought it was sad watching Harvey throw what looked like batting practice to our hitters the other night.  Thinking about what that guy was, and how good he could have been.  You could make an argument that he sacrificed his career to give us a few extra starts down the stretch and in the postseason in 2015.  I was at Citi Field when he beat the Cubs in Game 1 of the LCS.  Didn't always love some of his off field suff, but on the mound, the Dark Knight was great back then. 

Matt Harvey is a shell of his former self and appears to be close the end of the road.  I was half expecting to hear he was DFA'd after that last start.  I enjoyed the 14-1 win, but it was also sad at the same time.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Am I the only one who thought it was sad watching Harvey throw what looked like batting practice to our hitters the other night.  Thinking about what that guy was, and how good he could have been.  You could make an argument that he sacrificed his career to give us a few extra starts down the stretch and in the postseason in 2015.  I was at Citi Field when he beat the Cubs in Game 1 of the LCS.  Didn't always love some of his off field suff, but on the mound, the Dark Knight was great back then. 

Matt Harvey is a shell of his former self and appears to be close the end of the road.  I was half expecting to hear he was DFA'd after that last start.  I enjoyed the 14-1 win, but it was also sad at the same time.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Wow, I can’t believe you just posted this. I had to run out the other night to pick up some dinner and had the game on in the car. Howie said the same thing. He was getting a little emotional, saying just how hard it was to watch. He even said it was making him uncomfortable. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

As long as he is healthy. This tender elbow is scaring the crap out of me.

I watched his post game presser, he didnt seem concerned.  Almost came off as he was more worried about his level of conditioning vs. his pain threshold.  Said he expects to be out in 5 days, no MRI, etc.  Definitely something to monitor, worst case scenario, shut him down a week before the all-star, skip the game and get some extra rest. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

As long as he is healthy. This tender elbow is scaring the crap out of me.

I would advise Rojas to get deGrom going every 6th day for awhile or look to pull him between 70 and 80 pitches.  His control is so good that should get him through 6-7 innings then give it to the BP. Can’t risk him going on DL

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I watched his post game presser, he didnt seem concerned.  Almost came off as he was more worried about his level of conditioning vs. his pain threshold.  Said he expects to be out in 5 days, no MRI, etc.  Definitely something to monitor, worst case scenario, shut him down a week before the all-star, skip the game and get some extra rest. 

I saw deGrom's post game comments too, but still really nervous about him given the IL stint earlier this year and now being pulled from a start.  I really hope I am getting myself worked up about nothing, because we need him out there every 5th game and it is such a treat to be able to watch him play.

Random baseball question, 

with the new (terrible) extra inning man starting on 2nd base, how does that work for a pitchers era?

Say it’s bottom 10. Pitcher gets first batter to fly to right, runner advances to third, next batter comes up hits a sac fly to center, runs scores game over. Is that an earned run for the pitcher?

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

Random baseball question, 

with the new (terrible) extra inning man starting on 2nd base, how does that work for a pitchers era?

Say it’s bottom 10. Pitcher gets first batter to fly to right, runner advances to third, next batter comes up hits a sac fly to center, runs scores game over. Is that an earned run for the pitcher?

Agree.  Stupid rule.

If the free runner scores it is an unearned run. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 hours ago, Lith said:

I saw deGrom's post game comments too, but still really nervous about him given the IL stint earlier this year and now being pulled from a start.  I really hope I am getting myself worked up about nothing, because we need him out there every 5th game and it is such a treat to be able to watch him play.

Think I heard that Jake long tossed yesterday, felt no pain, and expects to make his next start. I'm with you, though. Scary as hell.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Think I heard that Jake long tossed yesterday, felt no pain, and expects to make his next start. I'm with you, though. Scary as hell.

I expect to watch every one of his starts for a while with a mix of excitement, anticipation and dread. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Fam UGH lia!

At least we took the series.

Cubs next @Lith

I hate when we play the Cubs. 

I can't get the Mets broadcast here in Chicago area -- stuck with the local broadcast team.  You don't realize how good Gary, Keith and Ron are until you are forced to listen to other team's broadcasts.  At least tonight is on ESPN.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Lith said:

I hate when we play the Cubs. 

I can't get the Mets broadcast here in Chicago area -- stuck with the local broadcast team.  You don't realize how good Gary, Keith and Ron are until you are forced to listen to other team's broadcasts.  At least tonight is on ESPN.

The worst is A-Rod! Classic bloviator!