2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

18 hours ago, Icer said:

Have to hope McNeil/Nimmo/Conforto give the offense a spark.  They were fortunate to survive the past month and a half with the replacement crew but it was bound to even out

Hope so, as you can tell from my last post, I was in panic mode.

On 6/24/2021 at 1:06 PM, JiFapono said:

Hope so, as you can tell from my last post, I was in panic mode.

Hard not to be concerned by the lack of offense.  Even as we start to get guys back, we can't score runs.  One solid offensive game in the last two weeks.  Somehow, we have managed to maintain our 4 game lead through all the injuries and lack of hitting, but the Nats are playing well.  We need to start swinging the bats otherwise I am afraid Washington erases that 4 game lead by the All Star Break.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Cursed in the same manner the Mets have been cursed in recent years. A horrible bullpen.

Poorly timed errors as well!
The lob from pitcher to Hoskins that he lost in the sun game 2 DH

the throw to 1st last night that allowed runners to advance for tying or winning run.

3rd baseman drops little squib pop up in front of Nola

Bad News Bears stuff.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Poorly timed errors as well!
The lob from pitcher to Hoskins that he lost in the sun game 2 DH

the throw to 1st last night that allowed runners to advance for tying or winning run.

3rd baseman drops little squib pop up in front of Nola

Bad News Bears stuff.

And to think I would have been fine with Girardi as manager of the Mets. he is running a bad club there. 

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

And to think I would have been fine with Girardi as manager of the Mets. he is running a bad club there. 

Agreed….. I was hot for him after the soft Callaway method of coaching. I wanted a Patton but I see now he would have lost the dugout with player like happy-go-lucky  Lindor. It’s a clown show in Philly.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Lith said:

Hard not to be concerned by the lack of offense.  Even as we start to get guys back, we can't score runs.  One solid offensive game in the last two weeks.  Somehow, we have managed to maintain our 4 game lead through all the injuries and lack of hitting, but the Nats are playing well.  We need to start swinging the bats otherwise I am afraid Washington erases that 4 game lead by the All Star Break.

Is it just me, or do the Mets take more 1st pitch fastballs right down the pipe than other teams? I know there are obviously times in a game where you do that, but it seems like it's most at bats , all game. Maybe I'm starting to turn into my own worst enemy, an analytics geek.?

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2021 at 11:51 AM, Lith said:

I can’t watch this team anymore this year. They’re just pathetic. How can you continue to fail to drive runs in with no outs with a man on 2nd or 3rd. It’s absolutely, ridiculously bush league.  And it’s time and time and time and time again. And Rojas has no clue what he’s doing. He continues to make huge managerial mistakes playing for a big inning in the wrong circumstances. Down a run in the 9th and instead of trying to tie the game, he bypasses the bunt. It’s INSANE. A 12 year old  playing strat-a-matic would know you play small ball there. How they are in 1st place is like walking in a horror hall of mirrors. It won’t last.  I see them falling back into 4th place by the 1st week of August and never rebounding. They better find someone to straighten out their approach to hitting or this will continue into next year. Nola KO’d 10 in a row on CURVES!!! Not fastballs. CURVES. Gimme a effin break. They don’t have 1 hitter close to .300 - it’s a joke. They have zippo power and KO in the most in opportune times. Just MADDENING.  How Keith and Darling haven't roasted these bums is comical but you can read between the lines. It’s a horror show. Their bullpen is already exhausted and it’s starting to fracture and we’re only at the half point. Stick a fork in them. They are DONE!

• Upvote 2

On 6/23/2021 at 7:16 PM, Icer said:

Have to hope McNeil/Nimmo/Conforto give the offense a spark.  They were fortunate to survive the past month and a half with the replacement crew but it was bound to even out

Lol As if they did ANYTHING when they were healthy to begin the year. Only Nimmo was playing. The others have been watching from the dugout doing the stupid thing with their fingers whenever someone gets on base. Who the heck are these guys? They’re constantly hurt, constantly striking out, constantly choking. Shall we go down the list? Let’s start and end with Lindor whose supposed to be their elite leader LOL This guy is the WORST. I enjoyed watching the late 70’s Mets more than this. At least you knew they didn’t stand a chance. These guys are just wasting the fans time. I can’t wait to see the Yanks pulverize them. It’s going to be UGLY. And they deserve to be embarrassed. Rojas will be out after this year. Guaranteed. 

Tijuana Walker is teamMVP for the 1st half of the season! 
Nice to have Nimmo back along with last season’s Dom Smith raking again.

Dont see any big trade deadline deals since our ML talent has been decimated. A good starting #3 pitcher is needed

8-3 win a real shot in the arm over a sad Yankees team. With Giancarlo and Cole contracts and Judge needing to be paid…… the future is looking more grim in the Bronx. Mets are facing some big decisions on Conforto FA offer and new deGrom deal. 

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Tijuana Walker is teamMVP for the 1st half of the season! 
Nice to have Nimmo back along with last season’s Dom Smith raking again.

Dont see any big trade deadline deals since our ML talent has been decimated. A good starting #3 pitcher is needed

8-3 win a real shot in the arm over a sad Yankees team. With Giancarlo and Cole contracts and Judge needing to be paid…… the future is looking more grim in the Bronx. Mets are facing some big decisions on Conforto FA offer and new deGrom deal. 

Fun game yesterday. 

Banged out a lot of hits, but didn't hit the ball really hard, aside from Dom's double.  But when ws the last time that a lot of weak grounders found holes, or soft fly balls fell in.  Was kind of nice to be the team to catch some breaks for once.  Split the two today and it is a good weekend in the Bronx.  But a sweep would make it great.

As far as the deadline, we are finally getting a healthy lineup, hopefully we start scoring some runs -- agree with you that the only additions likley will be an innings eater in the rotation.  And maybe a bullpen arm because the amount of work those guys are getting is scaring me.  

Well shut my trap! After my rant and rave a few days back, this team has caught on fire. Reason? Brandon Nimmo. What a difference this guy has made in just the few games he has been back. He is the catalyst that they’ve missed since he was injured. They are just a completely different team with him in there. Lead off hitter who gets on base, drives pitchers into deep pitch counts, great eye getting walks, clutch hitter in rbi situations. It’s just night and day. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

This team has some bright spots and they are fun, but it looks like again, if they make it to the dance they are going to be outclassed and the magic lost against the better teams in the league — LA, SF, Boston, Houston, etc. What happened vs KC in the World Series and in 2000 v NYY… 

The roster needs work to really win but you are messing with the fun and the chemistry.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vader said:

The roster needs work to really win but you are messing with the fun and the chemistry.

Since we lack the minor league talent to make a big move, the front office will need to find a pitcher that comes out of nowhere to dominate. Maybe it’s Thor or Carasco coming back in mid-August and dominate. 

Need McCann and McNeil to up their game along with an improvement in Alonzo power numbers and JD coming off IL and ripping the ball without being a defensive liability. We have great bench depth if these things happen. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Vader said:

This team has some bright spots and they are fun, but it looks like again, if they make it to the dance they are going to be outclassed and the magic lost against the better teams in the league — LA, SF, Boston, Houston, etc. What happened vs KC in the World Series and in 2000 v NYY… 

If we get to the postseason, we are dangerous.  We lack depth of starting ptiiching, but you really only need 3 strong starters to carry you through the postseason.  Between deGrom, Stroman and Walker we are likely to be a tough out for anyone.  If the lineup can get its act together in the second half, we will be a scary opponent for anyone in a short series.

But if the lineup does not get going, I can see us out of the postseason altogether.  The overuse of the bullpen could catch up with us and without the ability to bang out a few wins lilke we did agaianst the Yanks this weekend, playoffs are not a certainty.  I gotta thinkg the Braves and Nats will be better in the second half, so we need to be too.  Get there, and we will be dangerous, But they gotta get there first.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Since we lack the minor league talent to make a big move, the front office will need to find a pitcher that comes out of nowhere to dominate. Maybe it’s Thor or Carasco coming back in mid-August and dominate. 

Need McCann and McNeil to up their game along with an improvement in Alonzo power numbers and JD coming off IL and ripping the ball without being a defensive liability. We have great bench depth if these things happen. 

Crazy, but MEGILL has the mettle. He is throwing himself out of games early with his pitch count but MEGILL just held the fort v a top 2 or 3 pitcher in the league and we won. 

Lugo, May, and Loup have been strong. 

At this point, if Carrasco comes back or Thor even in September, you have to ask yourself who is going to be pitching every 5 days over MEGILL…

Rojas loves him.

RE: batting, McCann has been clutch but McNeill crap. Nimmo has been off the hook. If they can continue what they have going, they will be fine although nabbing a Donaldson would be nice 

• Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Vader said:

Actually, the roster doesn't need work.  It needs health.  The hitters are mostly back but some of them (McNeil, Conforto, Lindor) need to get back to their historical means.

The starting pitching has been strong enough to get by, thanks to DeGrom doing DeGrom things and Walker being a nice surprise.  Now if they could get either Thor or Carrasco back by September and able to perform like they should, it will be enough.

The bullpen has, for once, been a strength.

Really, when healthy, this team is able to play anyone.  We just haven't seen it all together this season.

• Upvote 1

lol - the past few weeks have been funny as a spectator.  Every time I've tuned in, the opposing teams scores within 2 innings, the 3 times I've watched to the end, we've lost, the handful of times I've turned the channel, they've won.  Last night for example, turned it off after the Navarez homer, wake up this morning, victory!!! 

I'll stop watching for the sake of the team,

You're welcome. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

These are strange, strange times. 

Yes, and your rant just might have been the turning point of the season.  Another dramatic come from behind win this afternoon.  It appears you have great powers, just use them wisely, my friend.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yes, and your rant just might have been the turning point of the season.  Another dramatic come from behind win this afternoon.  It appears you have great powers, just use them wisely, my friend.

I felt bad, I watched to the end but McNeil came through.  Im' not the curse!!!

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I felt bad, I watched to the end but McNeil came through.  Im' not the curse!!!

Nice to see Mcneil come through after he has struggled thsi year. 

And the JiF curse is lifted, or maybe it just shifts to Gator football.  Which would be a win-win for me.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Time to use my powers. Lindor SUCKS!  Brewers up 3-0, 6th inning of 7, bases loaded, no outs and he KO's. Are you ****in kidding me!!!!! I predicted it as soon as he came up. The guy that is supposed to be in his PRIME, the leader, the franchise, is the Ultimate Choke Artist!  Just buy his azz OUT and CUT him.  He's been an absoute albatross. What has this bum done all season other than kill rallies, botch grounders, throw balls away.  It's just downright embarrasing. And the Mets announcers say NOTHING about what a stinker he has been all season.  Everyone on the bench, every game, waiting for him to come through game after game after game and he continues to let the team down.  30M a year for a freaking cheerleader.  Holy sh*t. Cohen must be in perpetual therapy.  Trade him to the Mariners so he can wave pom poms with Jamal. 1st place. Big deal. This team is going NOWHERE unless he gets his sh*t together.  Playoffs, huh Playoffs? You kidding me!   

11 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Time to use my powers. Lindor SUCKS!  Brewers up 3-0, 6th inning of 7, bases loaded, no outs and he KO's. Are you ****in kidding me!!!!! I predicted it as soon as he came up. The guy that is supposed to be in his PRIME, the leader, the franchise, is the Ultimate Choke Artist!  Just buy his azz OUT and CUT him.  He's been an absoute albatross. What has this bum done all season other than kill rallies, botch grounders, throw balls away.  It's just downright embarrasing. And the Mets announcers say NOTHING about what a stinker he has been all season.  Everyone on the bench, every game, waiting for him to come through game after game after game and he continues to let the team down.  30M a year for a freaking cheerleader.  Holy sh*t. Cohen must be in perpetual therapy.  Trade him to the Mariners so he can wave pom poms with Jamal. 1st place. Big deal. This team is going NOWHERE unless he gets his sh*t together.  Playoffs, huh Playoffs? You kidding me!   

Lindor and that 10-year contract are looking really bad right now.  80 games in and it is no longer a bad start; it is a bad season.  Whenever he has a nice game or two where he swings the bat well, he follows it up with a couple of oh-fors.  Off season last year and another one this season.  Over his last 140 games he is hitting .237/.326/.384 with an OPS of .709.  5 seasons before that .288/.347/.493 and an OPS of .840.  He is just not the same guy.

Its beginning to look like we gave up prospects and $341M for a weak hitting, strong fielding shortstop.  He is Rey Ordonez with some power and a better eye at the plate..

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Lindor and that 10-year contract are looking really bad right now.  80 games in and it is no longer a bad start; it is a bad season.  Whenever he has a nice game or two where he swings the bat well, he follows it up with a couple of oh-fors.  Off season last year and another one this season.  Over his last 140 games he is hitting .237/.326/.384 with an OPS of .709.  5 seasons before that .288/.347/.493 and an OPS of .840.  He is just not the same guy.

Its beginning to look like we gave up prospects and $341M for a weak hitting, strong fielding shortstop.  He is Rey Ordonez with some power and a better eye at the plate..

Strong fielding SS? I’ve seen pretty much every game this season and he’s made terrible errors and had lapses in judgement defensively that even a rookie SS wouldn’t. And that whole fiasco with McNeil earlier in the year was prompted by his inability to communicate defensive positioning with him. I’m sure McNeil was fed up with his bullsh*t and it ended up in a fight between the two. Rey Oronez was a magician at SS. Lindor must have 5-6 errors already and when was the last time you saw him make that ‘amazing’ play. I haven’t seen it. And his hitting has been pathetic. He is killing the offense in the #2 spot. He’s getting walks occasionally but is ruining rallies and failing to deliver in key moments. Rojas needs to move him out of the #2 spot immediately. He’s not going to suddenly regain his offensive touch but you know that’s not going to happen either. Looks like we’re stuck with this guy for years until he can somehow be dumped but not sure. Is his contract iron clad or is there some out in it down the road? I’m already sick and tired of his ra ra cheerleading bullsh*t. 

58 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Strong fielding SS? I’ve seen pretty much every game this season and he’s made terrible errors and had lapses in judgement defensively that even a rookie SS wouldn’t. And that whole fiasco with McNeil earlier in the year was prompted by his inability to communicate defensive positioning with him. I’m sure McNeil was fed up with his bullsh*t and it ended up in a fight between the two. Rey Oronez was a magician at SS. Lindor must have 5-6 errors already and when was the last time you saw him make that ‘amazing’ play. I haven’t seen it. And his hitting has been pathetic. He is killing the offense in the #2 spot. He’s getting walks occasionally but is ruining rallies and failing to deliver in key moments. Rojas needs to move him out of the #2 spot immediately. He’s not going to suddenly regain his offensive touch but you know that’s not going to happen either. Looks like we’re stuck with this guy for years until he can somehow be dumped but not sure. Is his contract iron clad or is there some out in it down the road? I’m already sick and tired of his ra ra cheerleading bullsh*t. 

He has made handful of errors, but so has just about every MLB shortstop.  He has good range defensively, turns the double play well.  He is 4th in MLB in defensive runs saved among shortstops and 7th in fielding %.  I may disagree with you on his fielding, but he was paid $340M to drive in runs and score runs.  Agree with everything you said about his lack of offense.