2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

37 minutes ago, Lith said:

He has made handful of errors, but so has just about every MLB shortstop.  He has good range defensively, turns the double play well.  He is 4th in MLB in defensive runs saved among shortstops and 7th in fielding %.  I may disagree with you on his fielding, but he was paid $340M to drive in runs and score runs.  Agree with everything you said about his lack of offense.

Rojas needs to stop pampering him and drop him down in the order. Every other player has been shifted In the batting order when they’ve struggled. Just because he’s making billions shouldn’t exempt him from having his ego wounded. It’s probably exactly what he needs to light a fire under his azz. He is killing the offense in that number two spot. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Lith said:

Lindor and that 10-year contract are looking really bad right now.  80 games in and it is no longer a bad start; it is a bad season.  Whenever he has a nice game or two where he swings the bat well, he follows it up with a couple of oh-fors.  Off season last year and another one this season.  Over his last 140 games he is hitting .237/.326/.384 with an OPS of .709.  5 seasons before that .288/.347/.493 and an OPS of .840.  He is just not the same guy.

Its beginning to look like we gave up prospects and $341M for a weak hitting, strong fielding shortstop.  He is Rey Ordonez with some power and a better eye at the plate..

Every time I think he's turning the corner, I want to bump my rant from a month ago and then every time he has a good game or 2, he goes 0-15.  lol

38 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Every time I think he's turning the corner, I want to bump my rant from a month ago and then every time he has a good game or 2, he goes 0-15.  lol

Can you imagine the vibe among Met fans if this team was not in first place.  We went into the Bronx and took two out of three.  Then hosted a red hot Brewer team, winners of 11 of 12 coming into Citi Field.  Took two out of three from them. 

Despite all the injuries and lack of offense, we are still a first place team with 4 games left until the All Star break.  Been a good season so far.  Healthy lineup and more timley hitting in the second half and it could be a great season.

But as a 50+ year Met fan, I always know that it can implode quickly.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Can you imagine the vibe among Met fans if this team was not in first place.  We went into the Bronx and took two out of three.  Then hosted a red hot Brewer team, winners of 11 of 12 coming into Citi Field.  Took two out of three from them. 

Despite all the injuries and lack of offense, we are still a first place team with 4 games left until the All Star break.  Been a good season so far.  Healthy lineup and more timley hitting in the second half and it could be a great season.

September is haunting...

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

September is haunting...

2006 - 08 scarred me.  Beltran looking at srtrike 3 followed by two Sept collapses in 07 & 08.  Hard to get over three straight crusing season enders.  Add you can 2015 & 16 to the list. 

I need a WS title to erase the scars that have built up since 1986.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Lith said:

Are we really having a good season or are the other teams in the east having a crummy one. Probably a combination of both. Our offense is just pathetic but our staters and pitching staff has been banged up all year.  There’s just no continuity with this team being held together with scotch tape.  It’s slowly taking shape and hopefully these injured guys get back into a groove. McNeil, Davis, Conforto, Nimmo have all been injured. Carascco, Thor and Lugo are major players we need.  Hopefully by mid August, we get healthy, can peak and realize the potential this team has. 

25 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Are we really having a good season or are the other teams in the east having a crummy one. Probably a combination of both. Our offense is just pathetic but our staters and pitching staff has been banged up all year.  There’s just no continuity with this team being held together with scotch tape.  It’s slowly taking shape and hopefully these injured guys get back into a groove. McNeil, Davis, Conforto, Nimmo have all been injured. Carascco, Thor and Lugo are major players we need.  Hopefully by mid August, we get healthy, can peak and realize the potential this team has. 

A little of both.  We have played solid defense, and pitched well.  The lineup has not produced consistently, and we have had a few games where 4th/5th starters have been rocked, but for the most part, we have been in just about every game we have played.  This team can be incredibly frustrating to watch one night and then they can also be a lot of fun to watch the next.  Sometimes the swings are in the same game (like game 1 yesterday).

It has certainly helped that the rest of the Division has struggled in the first half.  We may be in first place, but we have not played like a first place team for major stretches on the first half.  I think it will be a battle right down to the last week of the season between us the Braves, Nats and Phillies.  Nobody is running away with it and nobody is going away.

WIth the lineup getting healthy, and hopefully Carrasco coming back soon, I like our chances.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

A little of both.  We have played solid defense, and pitched well.  The lineup has not produced consistently, and we have had a few games where 4th/5th starters have been rocked, but for the most part, we have been in just about every game we have played.  This team can be incredibly frustrating to watch one night and then they can also be a lot of fun to watch the next.  Sometimes the swings are in the same game (like game 1 yesterday).

It has certainly helped that the rest of the Division has struggled in the first half.  We may be in first place, but we have not played like a first place team for major stretches on the first half.  I think it will be a battle right down to the last week of the season between us the Braves, Nats and Phillies.  Nobody is running away with it and nobody is going away.

WIth the lineup getting healthy, and hopefully Carrasco coming back soon, I like our chances.

I do as well like our chances. We have just not seen what this team can really do. If you look at the potential (dirty word), this offense has the ability to be smoking. Last year our offense was quite good. On paper it projected to be very potent: 

Davis .300  85 rbi 25 Hr's

McNeil .300 hitter

Alfonso 45 hr's 120 rbi  .270

Dom .285 35 hr's 100 rbi

Conforto .285 30 HR's 100 rbi 

Nimmo .290 15 HR High OBP 

Lindor .280 20 HR's 80 rbi

McAnn/Nido 20 HR's 75 rbi .250 

Of course these numbers will no way  be realized but at the beginning of the year, it wasnt a far fetched possibility.  We're getting healthy and its just a matter of time (mid August to make a run) and get everyone in a groove for a strong finish.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:46 PM, Maynard13 said:

Time to use my powers. Lindor SUCKS!  Brewers up 3-0, 6th inning of 7, bases loaded, no outs and he KO's. Are you ****in kidding me!!!!! I predicted it as soon as he came up. The guy that is supposed to be in his PRIME, the leader, the franchise, is the Ultimate Choke Artist!  Just buy his azz OUT and CUT him.  He's been an absoute albatross. What has this bum done all season other than kill rallies, botch grounders, throw balls away.  It's just downright embarrasing. And the Mets announcers say NOTHING about what a stinker he has been all season.  Everyone on the bench, every game, waiting for him to come through game after game after game and he continues to let the team down.  30M a year for a freaking cheerleader.  Holy sh*t. Cohen must be in perpetual therapy.  Trade him to the Mariners so he can wave pom poms with Jamal. 1st place. Big deal. This team is going NOWHERE unless he gets his sh*t together.  Playoffs, huh Playoffs? You kidding me!   

Grand Slam last night from Lindor.

Keep up the good work, sir!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Grand Slam last night from Lindor.

Keep up the good work, sir!

Who's next!  Conforto! You BUM.  When's the last time this guy hit a HR.  Get ready to be traded at the trade deadline for some prospects: 2nd baseman, SP, OF.  How do you fall off the face of the earth in a contract year and blow an imminent muti muillion dollar deal.  It's no mystery why Cohen didnt offer him a new contract before the season started. Show me or wave sayonara. His history has been as up and down as a yo-yo.  That's not someone you invest in.  He's constatntly injured, disappears for weeks at the plate, totally inconsistent. It's time to move on.  Can we really afford to pay this guy with needing to pay deGrom, Alonso, Thor on the horizon?  Start putting some anchovies on your pizza to spice up your bat Conforto or pack your bags.  Ya got 3 months to get your mojo on and that's If youre not shipped out to some desperate team in contention that needs a RF.  

wn.jpg

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

OHHHH just got a boner!

Conforto left OUT of open in today's doubleheader vs. the lefthander. HMMMM quite telling? Rojas losing confidence in him as an everyday player afgainst LH's? If he's hot and playing up to his potential, like he should, there's no way he's out of the lineup, een in a doubleheader.  Trade scenario: Conforto and McNeil and a prospect for Adam Frazier and a prosect?  

On 7/8/2021 at 5:18 PM, Lith said:

Thing about this is, Cookie was slated as our #2 pitcher. 1 deGrom, 2 Cookie, 3 Stroman, 4 Walker, fill in.  We should get Thor back for the stretch run.  Thats a formidable 5. 

• Upvote 1

Split the double header and going into the final game of the series. Win this one for3 of 4 and go into the break with a minimum 4 game lead. Get healthy over the break and make the push to October.Cookie back inJuly and Thor early September ??If we get our SP healthy, we are a deep staff and can be a problem to other teams in September. 

• Upvote 1

Mets get Kumar Rocker RHP Vanderbilt. SWEET!! Top 5 prospect at #2. 
Kind of stuff that can have him in NYC in 1-2 years.6’5 & 245. Throws up to 99 mph with a plus slider. CC Sabathia says the kid pounds the strike zone

Also Mets Futures Catcher Francisco Alvarez goes 1-1 with HR

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

48 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mets get Kumar Rocker RHP Vanderbilt. SWEET!! Top 5 prospect at #2. 
Kind of stuff that can have him in NYC in 1-2 years.6’5 & 245. Throws up to 99 mph with a plus slider. CC Sabathia says the kid pounds the strike zone

Also Mets Futures Catcher Francisco Alvarez goes 1-1 with HR

I think Rocker might have a better MLB future as a relief pitcher with the talent to be a big time closer. I think he dropped partially because his performances in the CWS weren’t that good. He might not have the consistency to be a starter but he has the stuff to be a relief pitcher. IMO a great closer is maybe the most valuable component and position in MLB. But probably he’ll be starting in the minors. 

29 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think he dropped partially because his performances in the CWS weren’t that good.

Didnt follow CWS after ND eliminated. Interesting info. Did he get knocked around? Was he injured? 

Edited by 32EBoozer

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Didnt follow CWS after ND eliminated. Interesting info. Did he get knocked around? Was he injured? 

In a prelim vs Arizona Rocker pitched poorly but in a game Vanderbilt won. He pitched well vs NC State in a 3-1 win. But lost the final game vs Miss State in for him a poor performance. He was knocked out of the game. Just my opinion but I look at him more as a possible closer than a starter. But his overall college career he was usually elite. 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Just my opinion but I look at him more as a possible closer than a starter. But his overall college career he was usually elite

Understand what you’re saying…. He is a dominant & intimidating man.

A lights out closer is as valuable as a#1 SP

16 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Understand what you’re saying…. He is a dominant & intimidating man.

A lights out closer is as valuable as a#1 SP

He was knocked around by Miss State in the CWS final game which Vandy lost 9-0. Along with the Arizona start it wasn’t what they expected to get out of a top pitcher in games of this magnitude. Btw the guy who won that game and no hit Vandy for 6 innings was Will Bednar who wasn’t as highly rated as Rocker but who ended up getting drafted in the 1st round four spots after the Mets by the Giants. 

Great news on Cookie Carasco!

https://nypost.com/2021/07/10/carlos-carrasco-takes-huge-injury-step-toward-mets-debut/

Luis Rojas couldn’t hide his excitement. His smile and optimistic outlook were obvious.

After months of waiting, it looks like Carlos Carrasco is closing in on making his Mets debut. In the latest sign that the veteran right-hander is progressing from the torn right hamstring that has sidelined him all year, he threw a simulated game at Citi Field before the Mets hosted the Pirates for a Saturday doubleheader.

“The stuff we saw is a really good big league pitcher’s stuff,” Rojas said before the Mets’ 6-2 loss to the Pirates in Game 1. “Above-average fastball with ease, an above-average changeup action, and the breaking ball [looked good]. He’s got a full repertoire. All his pitches just play. Right now we just need to see how he responds.”

Carrasco, 34, threw 29 pitches spanning two innings against Luis Guillorme, Jose Peraza and Billy McKinney, and used all of his pitches, throwing fastballs, sliders and changeups. His hamstring seemed fine — he even backpedaled for a pop-up several feet behind the mound that bounced off his glove — and his command appeared there.

Carlos Carrasco Getty Images

The next step is uncertain. Rojas said Carrasco could begin a rehabilitation assignment or throw another simulated game. Once he does begin pitching in the minor leagues, Rojas was unsure how many starts he would need before rejoining the team. Carrasco could build up his arm strength at the major league level, meaning just one outing on the farm is possible.

“He’s a veteran pitcher, so I think nobody knows better than him, as far as where his arm is,” Rojas said. “That’s a conversation the performance staff is a part of, because the strength in his hamstring plays a big factor. It is now where we want it to be.

“After today, we’ll see what the next step is with him. That was really good today.”

Carrasco was supposed to be a key element to this team, after coming over in the blockbuster trade that brought Francisco Lindor to the Mets in early January. But Carrasco was injured in spring training and suffered a setback in May. The Mets have since brought him along slowly.

Getting Carrasco back now would be a significant development for the first-place Mets, who are extremely thin on starting pitching. Tylor Megill, who began this year at Double-A, is now entrenched as the team’s No. 4 starter. Joey Lucchesi is out for the season after undergoing Tommy John surgery. David Peterson isn’t expected back anytime soon after suffering a right oblique strain. And Noah Syndergaard, following a setback in his road back from Tommy John surgery, is eyeing a September cameo.

What do you think? Be the first to comment.

Carrasco owns a lifetime ERA of 3.77 and was integral to some lights-out rotations in his days with the Indians. He would be a major upgrade, considering the Mets have had to start the likes of Jerad Eickhoff, Robert Stock and Corey Oswalt.

“It would be huge,” Rojas said. “As you guys know, we’re in need of starters. We had a couple guys already go down. … Cookie coming in now would be outstanding.”

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I think Rocker might have a better MLB future as a relief pitcher with the talent to be a big time closer. I think he dropped partially because his performances in the CWS weren’t that good. He might not have the consistency to be a starter but he has the stuff to be a relief pitcher. IMO a great closer is maybe the most valuable component and position in MLB. But probably he’ll be starting in the minors. 

You DO NOT make Rocker a reliever. He has the body, temperament and assortment of pitches that profile as a possible dominant starter. Nothing guaranteed there, but with all those attributes, that is more of a starter profile than any other pitcher the Mets have drafted recently.

In terms of tiring at the end of the year, you take that all with a grain of salt. Every college player is more suspect this year, than any other year, because of workload variations caused by the shutdown of 2020. His workload of innings in 3 years of college?

2019-99.2

2020-15

2021-122

You can see why it is so difficult to judge baseball players this year. The arc is not typical. Especially for pitchers.

That is why Rocker is more of a safe pick than any other. His body screams durability without arm stress. He has a true assortment of pitches, all which can be improved. And as mentioned previously he is unflustered on the mound.  I witnessed him in person as a 17 and 18 year old, and you just knew watching him. He stood out more than anyone else on the field at showcases.

Side note on Jack Leiter. We used to face him almost weekly when he was 14-15 when he played on a travel baseball team, The Jersey Boyz. At that age, he was easily one of the smallest kids on the team. He barely could power the fastball. I remember remarking, "hard to believe that is Al's son".  Al would be the funniest watching him play. Even watching, he was all wound up. At the one local location we would often play them, DiamondNation, there was a cloverleaf structure of fields, surrounded by blacktop. Al would be bouncing a baseball in the ground on that blacktop, pegging it. Super nice guy though.

Congratulations to Jack Leiter and I personally have never seen a young kid progress so far from the age of 14 to 21. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

You DO NOT make Rocker a reliever. He has the body, temperament and assortment of pitches that profile as a possible dominant starter. Nothing guaranteed there, but with all those attributes, that is more of a starter profile than any other pitcher the Mets have drafted recently.

In terms of tiring at the end of the year, you take that all with a grain of salt. Every college player is more suspect this year, than any other year, because of workload variations caused by the shutdown of 2020. His workload of innings in 3 years of college?

2019-99.2

2020-15

2021-122

You can see why it is so difficult to judge baseball players this year. The arc is not typical. Especially for pitchers.

That is why Rocker is more of a safe pick than any other. His body screams durability without arm stress. He has a true assortment of pitches, all which can be improved. And as mentioned previously he is unflustered on the mound.  I witnessed him in person as a 17 and 18 year old, and you just knew watching him. He stood out more than anyone else on the field at showcases.

Side note on Jack Leiter. We used to face him almost weekly when he was 14-15 when he played on a travel baseball team, The Jersey Boyz. At that age, he was easily one of the smallest kids on the team. He barely could power the fastball. I remember remarking, "hard to believe that is Al's son".  Al would be the funniest watching him play. Even watching, he was all wound up. At the one local location we would often play them, DiamondNation, there was a cloverleaf structure of fields, surrounded by blacktop. Al would be bouncing a baseball in the ground on that blacktop, pegging it. Super nice guy though.

Congratulations to Jack Leiter and I personally have never seen a young kid progress so far from the age of 14 to 21. 

You might be right just my observation on him. I think he has the big body and motions and speed to be overly powerful in a short term situation. Considering that a closer is probably more valuable on a team than your 2nd thru 5th starter I see no prob in developing a better prospect to fill that role. But I think the Mets are thinking of him as a starter. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You might be right just my observation on him. I think he has the big body and motions and speed to be overly powerful in a short term situation. Considering that a closer is probably more valuable on a team than your 2nd thru 5th starter I see no prob in developing a better prospect to fill that role. But I think the Mets are thinking of him as a starter. 

Any one that sees his stuff and body type would project him as a starter. Maybe that doesn't work out and I don't have a crystal ball.

His potential upside for me, is that of a CC Sabathia. A big bodied guy that can give you close to 200 innings each year with an assortment of pitches,. Those don't grow on trees, and if you can get one, they can be a true anchor in a rotation, if not an ace.

Round 9 pick David Levi could be a diamond in the rough if he gets command of his FB

A Texas state high school swimming champion in the 50-meter freestyle, David began his college career at McLennan (Texas) CC but pitched just 18 1/3 innings as a freshman and redshirted in 2019 because he struggled to throw strikes. His velocity has picked up since he transferred to Northwestern State and while he still battles the strike zone, he has one of the best curveballs in the 2021 Draft. He had a 72 percent swing-and-miss rate on his breaking ball and hitters went just 5-for-98 with 80 strikeouts against it, the main reason he ranked third in NCAA Division I in whiff rate (15.3 per nine innings). David's curveball can be a plus-plus hammer at its best, sitting at 83-85 mph and reaching 87 with tremendous depth, and he has doubled its usage to nearly 40 percent this spring. When he doesn't stay on top of his breaker, it plays like a mid-80s slider that's just as unhittable. He also can run his fastball up to 99 mph and uses his 6-foot-5 frame to create downhill plane to compensate for a lack of life, though he often dials it back to 92-95 in order to try to throw strikes. David barely uses a changeup and has averaged nearly a walk per inning in college, so he almost certainly will be a reliever in the long run. He pitches without a windup but still struggles to repeat his delivery, which features some effort. He's strong and athletic and scouts praise his competitiveness and intelligence, which helped him graduate in May with a business administration degree and a 4.0 grade-point average.

• Sympathy 1

What a mess.  Dropping 3 straight to a last place team, including two big blown leads.  No words for what happened last night. deGrom scratched from another start.  Lindor to the IL (although its not like we will miss his production).  This is a .500 team at best.  Bullpen is a mess -- too bad that everyone could see this coming when they were going 5 or 6 innings night after night in May and June.  1 for 21 with RISP since the All Star break.  Although you can't blame the bats yesterday when they stake you to a 6 run lead heading into the bottom of the 8th.  Feel bad for Tylor Megill -- what does this kid have to do to get his first W.

And who the heck is this John Nogowski guy.  .190 hitter in AAA who came into the Sereies at Citi Field with 1 MLB RBI in his career and he looks like Lou Gehrig against us.  

Just a mess.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Lith said:

What a mess.  Dropping 3 straight to a last place team, including two big blown leads.  No words for what happened last night. deGrom scratched from another start.  Lindor to the IL (although its not like we will miss his production).  This is a .500 team at best.  Bullpen is a mess -- too bad that everyone could see this coming when they were going 5 or 6 innings night after night in May and June.  1 for 21 with RISP since the All Star break.  Although you can't blame the bats yesterday when they stake you to a 6 run lead heading into the bottom of the 8th.  Feel bad for Tylor Megill -- what does this kid have to do to get his first W.

And who the heck is this John Nogowski guy.  .190 hitter in AAA who came into the Sereies at Citi Field with 1 MLB RBI in his career and he looks like Lou Gehrig against us.  

Just a mess.

Two things.......first, don't get why he didn't bring in Loup one batter earlier to face the PH who was a lefty. Second, two blown Diaz 9th inning saves vs the worst hitting team in the NL? Wouldn't be surprised if Diaz isn't tipping his pitches.

• Upvote 2