2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

On 11/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, section314 said:

For Rick Owneby and Neil Allen,? I am older than you, will be 63 in a month. May I add two  to yours, please?

1) 1968.... Jerry Koosman arrives. Having #41 win ROY the year before, I can remember being so excited that now, two out of every 4 days, the Mets had a great chance to win. Was pretty heady stuff for a young Mets fan in those days. The beginning of the Tom and Jerry show.

2) 1972.....Mrs. Payson brings home the greatest ballplayer I ever saw, Willie Mays. Sure, he was at the end, but it didn't matter. One year later, having Willie in the clubhouse certainly helped hold that team together until they got healthy and won their 2nd pennant. Was so lucky to have been at the game in late September that year, Willie Night. Will always remember the last part of his speech..." when I look in that dugout, and see these young kids, and how they're fighting for a pennant, it tells me one thing. Willie, say goodbye to America." Still chokes me up. Oh, by the way, Jerry went out and beat the Expos, 2-1, Tug with the save. Ya Gotta Believe.❤️

Tug McGraw best reliever in baseball history.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

It is funny I left Robby out last night when I posted the core because his contract was just going to weigh them down.

This gives 24mm more this year right? That is huge!

Yes, just for this year (actually $20mm as Seattle pays the rest). They are still on the hook for 2022 and 2023. 

Hey, Bauer wants to sign a 1 year contract. This pays about 65% of that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Tug McGraw best reliever in baseball history.

As a kid, I was a big Tug Mcgraw fan.  I even had a swatch of his carpet in my room.  My uncle had a job installing carpet, and he did a job for Mcgraw.  He knew how big a Met fan I was, and saved some carpet scraps from the Mcgraw household to give to me (along with an autographed picture).  Had to be one of the strangest pieces of memorabilia I ever owned.

But Tug lost me in 1980.  When he pitched for the Phillies and they won the Series in '80, I was a freshman in college in Philly.  I still remember Mcgraw at the microphone during the victory parade taking a shot at NY.  "New York can take this championship and shove it."  May not be a direct quote, but close enough.  The heart and soul of the 73 Mets taking a shot at us like that.  

I did not save the carpet scraps after that.  Although I may still have the pitcture.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Lith said:

As a kid, I was a big Tug Mcgraw fan.  I even had a swatch of his carpet in my room.  My uncle had a job installing carpet, and he did a job for Mcgraw.  He knew how big a Met fan I was, and saved some carpet scraps from the Mcgraw household to give to me (along with an autographed picture).  Had to be one of the strangest pieces of memorabilia I ever owned.

But Tug lost me in 1980.  When he pitched for the Phillies and they won the Series in '80, I was a freshman in college in Philly.  I still remember Mcgraw at the microphone during the victory parade taking a shot at NY.  "New York can take this championship and shove it."  May not be a direct quote, but close enough.  The heart and soul of the 73 Mets taking a shot at us like that.  

I did not save the carpet scraps after that.  Although I may still have the pitcture.

They deserved it after 73. They were god awful. Shot more at their owners.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

We don’t owe him a penny more, correct? Contract voided?

Still owe him $40 million and Seattle still owes him $8 million. If he gets suspended again for PEDs, then both teams would be off the hook.

He lost $24 million for this suspension, Mets save $20 million, Seattle saves $4 million.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Jeff McNeil moves over to 2nd, his more natural position. This frees up money in other areas. 

Just don't know what happens to Robbie's contract for 2022 and 2023. Mets on the hook for 40mil those 2 years combined. 

They're still on the hook for the $40 million unless he gets suspended for PEDs again.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Yes, just for this year (actually $20mm as Seattle pays the rest). They are still on the hook for 2022 and 2023. 

Hey, Bauer wants to sign a 1 year contract. This pays about 65% of that.

Cano will never play again for the Mets. Stevie doesn’t tolerate incompetence or assholes. Trust me.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

So Cohen will just eat 40 million?  Hard to fathom that.

He is one of the greatest traders in the history of the financial business. He'll follow two basic rules     1) your first loss is your best loss.  2) risk/reward. Both spell the end for Cano as a Met. Cohen didn't hire him, but he sure as hell will fire him. And he should.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, section314 said:

Heard on radio yesterday that Mets/Rays may be talking a trade for Snell. Involved minor leaguers. Anybody else hear this, and if so, any names of young guys involved? Tampa scares me, they win pretty much all of their trades.

It would be hard to see a fit between the teams. You would have to think that the Rays, at least as the highlight of a package coming back, would want some young, controllable pitching. Mets do not have that in the upper levels of their system. Unless Peterson is involved in the trade. I am not sure I would go that route.

Also, Alderson came out the other day and said that he wants to build the system back up, essentially not trading pieces. You would think that they have a SS  to give, but I don't think that does it for the Rays.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

It would be hard to see a fit between the teams. You would have to think that the Rays, at least as the highlight of a package coming back, would want some young, controllable pitching. Mets do not have that in the upper levels of their system. Unless Peterson is involved in the trade. I am not sure I would go that route.

Also, Alderson came out the other day and said that he wants to build the system back up, essentially not trading pieces. You would think that they have a SS  to give, but I don't think that does it for the Rays.

Also heard Tampa/Seattle on Snell. He’s from Washington. Ronnie D said on MLB the other day that Seattle system is loaded and mentioned Kalenic and Dunn?

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, section314 said:

Can't believe Sandy brought Matz back. I guess the analytic guys convinced him that his 55.8 ERA last year was really good? Not happy.

The Mets can cut him fairly cheaply in March if he does not look up to snuff. The Mets, like every other team next year, are going to need innings out of pitchers. Because of the shortened season, we can only assume that clubs are going to control how many innings they ramp pitchers up this year. One of the great indicators of arm injuries is increasing innings to a great percentage one year over another. 

Teams are going to be looking ofr innings all over. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Mets can cut him fairly cheaply in March if he does not look up to snuff. The Mets, like every other team next year, are going to need innings out of pitchers. Because of the shortened season, we can only assume that clubs are going to control how many innings they ramp pitchers up this year. One of the great indicators of arm injuries is increasing innings to a great percentage one year over another. 

Teams are going to be looking ofr innings all over. 

Read something today on the MLB website from Sports Illustrated about some pitcher named Sam McWilliams who the Mets won a bidding war for. Was a reclamation project in the Tampa system. Supposedly Tampa has done this with a bunch of guys on their team. Middling guys who they worked with and taught them all to really learn to throw 4 seamers. Their analytic guys found out that something like 30% of all outs in the last three innings are strikeouts, and 65% are on 4 seamers. Paid this guy $750,000 plus a 40 man spot. More $ than Alonzo. Project him as a bullpen guy. Was throwing 94 during spring, supposedly was up to 98 after he completed his season in the program. Tampa had to let him go as a FA because they are loaded in their system with pitchers. This sounds like the new analytic guys brought this to Cohen/Sandy. Interesting read...check it out. I really tried to give Cliff Notes version. May just be tip of iceberg of new way of doing business for our Mets. Said this guy has never thrown a pitch in the bigs, yet half of the teams in MLB tried to sign him.

• Upvote 2

On 12/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, section314 said:

Can't believe Sandy brought Matz back. I guess the analytic guys convinced him that his 55.8 ERA last year was really good? Not happy.

Holding out for hope that he can return the form he had that 1 game, you remember it, his first game ever!   Been down hill since. lol

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

Holding out for hope that he can return the form he had that 1 game, you remember it, his first game ever!   Been down hill since. lol

He was great for 5mos in 2015, and that was it. The thing was just kills me about Matz is his horrible body language and the sulking. He still acts like a 12 year old in little league if one  of the kids drops a pop up. He just can’t dig down and fight through anything. He gets worse every year, and we don’t need his crap anymore. 

• Upvote 2

Ok fellow Mets fans..... whose your choice of the finalists?

With the winter meetings having wrapped up on Thursday, the Mets are still working on hiring a new general manager to work under Sandy Alderson. Specifically, Jon Heyman reports the names of four candidates who are still possibilities for the job: Red Sox assistant general manager Zack Scott, Diamondbacks assistant general manager Jared Porter, Athletics executive Billy Owens, and former Marlins president and general manager Michael Hill.

For me, it’s between Hill and Hill. These organizations continue to recognize & develop young talent. Only problem is that they can’t afford to hold onto them.

All things equal, I lean Owens. Sabermatric’s geek who hits all the buttons and would be only the second AA GM. If measurable are the same, a minority gets the nod.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

https://nypost.com/2020/12/12/mets-hiring-jared-porter-as-next-general-manager/

Porter, 41, spent the past four seasons with Arizona after working under Theo Epstein with the Red Sox and Cubs, where he was part of three World Series winners.

“He checks all the boxes,” said former Mets assistant GM Allard Baird, who worked with Porter in the Red Sox’s front office. “He’s got a strong executive presence with a compassion for people. I think that will really stand out.

• Sympathy 2