2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

11 hours ago, JiFapono said:

What a throw!

Was not just the throw.  The catch and tag by McCann on the other end were just as good.  Great defensive play from both sides to save the game.

On the other side of this, though, is Diaz.  If not for the play by Conforto/McCann he blows another save.  Even the last out was another hard hit ball to the gap.  I don't know how you can keep trusting him with one run leads.  I woudl love it if we could find a way to get Kimbrel.

• Upvote 3

I don't think the Mets have had this deep and strong of a bench since 1986. Off the top of my head, that bench was:

-Mazzilli

-Whomever was not playing in the platoon of Dykstra/Wilson

-Whomever was not playing in the platoon of Backman/Teufel

-Whomever was not playing in the platoon of Knight/Johnson

-Whomever was not playing between Mitchell and Santana

-Hearn

-Heep

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Was not just the throw.  The catch and tag by McCann on the other end were just as good.  Great defensive play from both sides to save the game.

On the other side of this, though, is Diaz.  If not for the play by Conforto/McCann he blows another save.  Even the last out was another hard hit ball to the gap.  I don't know how you can keep trusting him with one run leads.  I woudl love it if we could find a way to get Kimbrel.

Agreed, all around great play from both dudes...and yes, Diaz is the most nerve racking closer I've ever watched.  The amount of solid contact he lets up in such a short period, is unreal.  Everyone squares the dude up, everyone.

59 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Agreed, all around great play from both dudes...and yes, Diaz is the most nerve racking closer I've ever watched.  The amount of solid contact he lets up in such a short period, is unreal.  Everyone squares the dude up, everyone.

The Mets seem to have cornered the market on nerve wracking closers in recent years.  Benitez, Familia, K Rod.  Diaz fits right in with those guys.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

The way Familia was when closing. Everyone knows to lay off the nasty slider which they can’t control and sit fastball 

Ah well, best of luck Mets Fans, looks like my Nats just sold literally everything not bolted down.

Mass fire sale, total rebuild inbound.  Almost feels like being a Jets Fan, except for that who World Series win, lol.

Looks like I'm in for some lean times.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ah well, best of luck Mets Fans, looks like my Nats just sold literally everything not bolted down.

Mass fire sale, total rebuild inbound.  Almost feels like being a Jets Fan, except for that who World Series win, lol.

Nats did the right thing, especially if they had talks with Turner, and were not getting anywhere in terms of an extension. Scherzer could still come back and sign with them.

The Nats farm system was one of the worst in all of baseball and they helped fortify that. Keibert and Gray are 2 big pieces.  The Strasburg news this week was troubling, but you had already gotten everything out of him that he had in him. 

Be happy with the ring and enjoy the rebuild.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Nats did the right thing

I know it objectively.  Logicly.

But Scherzer is my favorite player, and I'm sad he's gone.

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Be happy with the ring and enjoy the rebuild.

Aye, that Championship was and always will be extremely special.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

It was the right thing to do...

but I get it.  Especially knowing they were such a big part of the WS team.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

They have a deeper system than we do. Just don’t want it to be Baez. We already strike out a ton.

Yeah but he's an exciting/electric bolt of energy to the roster.  The middle infield would be nasty.  While I'd prefer Bryant, I'd be pretty excited about Baez.  I think he elevates Lindor as well. 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would think that Dom would have to be part of any deal with the Cubs since they traded Rizzo.

Crow-Armstrong gone. That is a bit of a shame, but the Mets pitchers have to be delighted to have a combo of Lindor-Baez in the middle. That will be fun to watch. Also, maybe this is the igniter that gets Lindor going.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Crow-Armstrong gone. That is a bit of a shame, but the Mets pitchers have to be delighted to have a combo of Lindor-Baez in the middle. That will be fun to watch. Also, maybe this is the igniter that gets Lindor going.

We got a pitcher in deal too.Can Baez play 3rd?

Wow we get Baez but was hoping for another quality stater. Sandy playing his cards with Cookie, Thor and deGrom. Essentially, if deGrom does not come back at full force for the rest of the year, I think we’ll drop out of the race.  It all boils down to Jacob. Sandy probably already sees the writing on the wall. Just too many teams to contend with that have superior starting pitching. It’s a BIG if for it to come together in the last 2 months of the season. Possible but not probable.  You can only sacrifice so many of your rising stars. Adding Baez adds a promising star for next year.  If it falls apart in August, next year Sandy can retool the pitching staff. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Wow we get Baez but was hoping for another quality stater. Sandy playing his cards with Cookie, Thor and deGrom. Essentially, if deGrom does not come back at full force for the rest of the year, I think we’ll drop out of the race.  It all boils down to Jacob. Sandy probably already sees the writing on the wall. Just too many teams to contend with that have superior starting pitching. It’s a BIG if for it to come together in the last 2 months of the season. Possible but not probable.  You can only sacrifice so many of your rising stars. Adding Baez adds a promising star for next year.  If it falls apart in August, next year Sandy can retool the pitching staff. 

Season revolved around deGrom always. There was not a pitcher on the market (Scherzer was not coming to NY), that was a top 1 or 2, with the possible exception of Berrios. And I would not pay what Toronto gave up for Berrios. 

Hopefully Baez makes Lindor more comfortable and better, and vice versa.  Question is, would he take a discount to stay with the Mets next year? Then the Mets have options, can trade JD Davis, QO Conforto, and can bring back some pitching.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Diaz will be the death of us this year . Should have fortified the bullpen .

Mets fans hate to hear this, but Diaz is a top 5 mlb closer this year. There are no more shut down closers that finish every game.

Williams fortifies the pen in a long role, if everything works out. He would push a lot of roles back as a long man.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Season revolved around deGrom always. There was not a pitcher on the market (Scherzer was not coming to NY), that was a top 1 or 2, with the possible exception of Berrios. And I would not pay what Toronto gave up for Berrios. 

Hopefully Baez makes Lindor more comfortable and better, and vice versa.  Question is, would he take a discount to stay with the Mets next year? Then the Mets have options, can trade JD Davis, QO Conforto, and can bring back some pitching.

Just looking ahead to next year. Dodgers, Giants and Brewers are just so talented this year it’s ridiculous. Mets would have to girst make the playoffs and get deGrom, Cookie and Thor healthy enough to go into the post season. Next year, Mets are going to have to vastly improve.   Baez will be staying. Lindor would freak if Baez Isn’t signed. That’s a dynamic SS/2nd combo.  Lot of upside going into next year. Lot of changes coming as well. SP should be healthier next year, how could it not.  deGrom, Thor, Cookie, McGill, Peterson, Rocker? They have to find another lefty, no? Stroman probably will be let go. Not sure what’s up with Walker’s contract. Conforto has really hurt his chances in getting a new contract here.  He’s been abysmal. The OF definitely needs to be revamped. Dom will play 1B, Alonso will DH, Nimmo is a mainstay in CF or LF. We’re going to need 2 starting OF’s who can HIT. JD more than likely gets traded. He’s a liability at 3B. Love the guy but our infield defense would be lights out with Dom, Baez, Lindor and a solid third baseman. We have potential to be really good and we’re going to have to be. 

31 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets fans hate to hear this, but Diaz is a top 5 mlb closer this year. There are no more shut down closers that finish every game.

Williams fortifies the pen in a long role, if everything works out. He would push a lot of roles back as a long man.

Williams probably gets a few starts. As long as I don’t have to watch Yukoff or 6 relievers a game, that’s an upgrade.