2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Season revolved around deGrom always. There was not a pitcher on the market (Scherzer was not coming to NY), that was a top 1 or 2, with the possible exception of Berrios. And I would not pay what Toronto gave up for Berrios. 

Hopefully Baez makes Lindor more comfortable and better, and vice versa.  Question is, would he take a discount to stay with the Mets next year? Then the Mets have options, can trade JD Davis, QO Conforto, and can bring back some pitching.

Conforto also a FA after this season

16 minutes ago, section314 said:

Just heard shutting Jake down for 3 weeks. Inflammation?

Won’t throw for 2 weeks. This is bad. And who knows how long he’ll be out, if he even returns. And it’s also a telling sign we will have to acquire an ace next year. Just no way we can rely on deGrom next year. This is a constant problem in his career.  And he’ll be a year older 34. 

49 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Conforto also a FA after this season

I cut him loose. He’s a Jekyll and Hyde kind of guy. Just to inconsistent. He’s barely hitting .200 Totally clueless against left handlers. He’s been given time to develop. It just hasn’t transpired. Time to move on. 

10 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

I cut him loose. He’s a Jeckyle and Hyde kind of guy. Just to inconsistent. He’s barely hitting .200 Totally clueless against left handlers. He’s been given time to develop. It just hasn’t transpired. Time to move on. 

Do You place the Qualifying offer on him? 

23 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Won’t throw for 2 weeks. This is bad. And who knows how long he’ll be out, if he even returns. And it’s also a telling sign we will have to acquire an ace next year. Just no way we can rely on deGrom next year. This is a constant problem in his career.  And he’ll be a year older 34. 

There goes the talk of an extension.

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

There goes the talk of an extension.

He’s the best pitcher in baseball. Been a Met his entire career. I think they’ll extend him but it will have to be a very ‘team friendly’ contract. I mean whose going to give him a multi year guaranteed contract now. 

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Man there is a different energy at this game. Looks like the Baez trade has the whole team and crowd stoked. Love it.

It’s the jerseys. Black jerseys matter. They bad AF. But seriously, the Baez thing is going to be amazing. Lindor lobbied for his friend and Sandy listened. Cohen has really transformed this franchise. So many injuries this year but look for some amazing changes next year as well. 

3 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

It’s the jerseys. Black jerseys matter. They bad AF. But seriously, the Baez thing is going to be amazing. Lindor lobbied for his friend and Sandy listened. Cohen has really transformed this franchise. So many injuries this year but look for some amazing changes next year as well. 

I've been pumped for weeks for tonight. I budgeted a gazillion dollars this month to spend on black throwback merch and they still haven't put anything up. To say I'm not happy about it all would be an understatement. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I've been pumped for weeks for tonight. I budgeted a gazillion dollars this month to spend on black throwback merch and they still haven't put anything up. To say I'm not happy about it all would be an understatement. 

They look sweet. Love the black glistening helmets with the blue NY. DOPE. Jets should follow suit. Black helmets, green NY Jets ensignia is from ‘68, white pants with the slight green stripe on the side, black tops with green numbers and names. Damn that would be smoking.

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I was just going to say that. He has an absolute bazooka of an arm. Great reel thanks!!!

The other thing I notice is how absolutely incredible his slap tags are at second base! I’ve seen Lindor screw up several tags so far this season. Baez hand speed is off the charts.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, section314 said:

Conforto is killing us.

Was reading how Rojas has options to mix up the lineup when Lindor comes back. With Conforto ‘killing us’, Rojas can use McNeil in RF against lefties. Not ideal but this just can’t keep going on. Or against righties, McNeil plays third. Next year I think Baez will stay at 2nd and they’ll have to figure out what to do at 3rd again. Lot of players with questionable futures here. McNeil, Conforto, JD, Stroman, Walker

Mets Rumors: Kumar Rocker's Contract 'in Limbo' Due to Elbow Injury Concerns

ADAM WELLSJULY 27, 20210

PhoHeading into Sunday's deadline for 2021 MLB draft picks to sign, the New York Mets and Kumar Rocker have reportedly hit a snag in their bonus agreement. 

Per Ken Davidoff of the New York Post, the agreement between Rocker and the Mets is "in limbo" because of concerns from the organization about the right-handed pitcher's elbow that came up during his physical. 

After the Mets made Rocker the No. 10 overall pick in the 2021 draft, they reportedly came to an over-slot bonus agreement. 

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported on July 12 the two sides have "an understanding in place" that would pay Rocker $6 million. MLB set the slot bonus for the No. 10 pick for $4,739,900. 

Davidoff noted that Rocker's camp "disagrees" with the Mets' concerns from his physical and have cited his durability throughout his college career at Vanderbilt. 

There were some questions about Rocker during the college season because he had some notable velocity dips. 

Kevin Goldstein of FanGraphs noted in May that Rocker's fastball touched 99 in his first start of the season, but it was down to 90-91 mph during a March 19 start against South Carolina. 

Videos you might like 

Rocker's velocity continued to fluctuate throughout the season, but he remained a reliable presence in Vanderbilt's rotation. The 21-year-old led the nation with 122 innings pitched and tied teammate Jack Leiter for the most strikeouts (179). 

Sunday is the deadline for draft picks to sign a contract with their clubs.  
Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor Biting Nails Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

This Drury guy has been so clutch since being called up. Home runs, opposite field hits with 2 strikes to win it tonight.
Drury improved to 11-for-15 since being recalled from Triple-A on July 24, setting off a wild celebration on the field after the Mets’ eighth walk-off of the season.

Hill with another quality state but 2-3 time around order teams figure out the curve ball. 

Diaz lights out after 1st & 3rd no out. 2 punch outs & fly out

Baez with a welcome to NY bomb. 

Phillies lose, Braves win. 4 games up on Braves. 4.5 Phils

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 3

Baez gives us another threat in the lineup and brings energy. as someone mentioned I think it will get Lindor when he is back going like the hitter he has shown in the past.

Stroman and Walker have to up their game instead of this slide they are both having

• Upvote 2

Next 11 games are crucial. Mets get a mediocre pitcher vs the Reds today, face a depleted Marlins team for 4 games , then face a Phillies team for 3 games that has trouble naming a starter after Wheeler and Nola, and then get 3 games against a very depleted nationals squad. Must go at least 7-4 over this next stretch, or better 8-3. 

After that, it is then 13 games against the Giants and Dodgers.

Have to walk out of the next 11 games with a 6 game game bulge or more.

• Upvote 4

Bad Luck, sucks to hear it.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31934790/new-york-mets-plan-sign-top-pick-kumar-rocker-concerns-physical-exam-sources-say

Barring a drastic change between now and the 5 p.m. ET signing deadline, the New York Mets do not plan to sign right-hander Kumar Rocker, the 10th overall pick in the amateur draft, sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.

Rocker, 21, whose dominance at Vanderbilt made him the most well-known college player in perhaps a decade, had an agreement in place to sign for $6 million after he slipped down draft boards earlier this month. But the deal fell apart following his physical examination, and multiple sources said they do not expect a revised one to come together before the deadline.

The possibility of the Mets and Rocker coming to an 11th-hour agreement always exists, and past deals that looked dead were eventually consummated. But the momentum in recent days, and the expectation of multiple sources, is that the Mets are unlikely to change their stance.

If Rocker does not sign, the Mets would receive the 11th pick in the 2022 draft as compensation. It is unclear whether Rocker will return to Vanderbilt or pursue an alternate path, such as pitching in an independent league before reentering the 2022 draft or signing with an international league.