2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

31 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

JN. 

Your Mets will still win the NL East. 

Only 2.0 back despite a bad slump losing 4 in a row and 2-8 previous 10?

August 11th.

Only two freaking games back of 1st in a dig fight division. 

As longtime suffering Mets fans you wouldn't have signed up for that, before the season? 

Mets will win your next 12 games in a row.

You heard it here first. 

Defense Needs Reality Testing

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

What is something constructive to do during a rain delay ?

Boy you certainly lack a sense of humor! You need to chill out a bit. I’ve been a fan since I was five years old back in 1968… I have certainly earned the right to give my Met some grief over under performance.I have certainly earned the right to give my Met some grief over under performance.

7 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

JN. 

August 11th.

As longtime suffering Mets fans you wouldn't have signed up for that, before the season? 

You heard it here first. 

Hope you are right.  But 12 straight, especially with west coast trip to LA & SF.  Not going to happen.  I would be happy with 6-6 and hope the Phillies & Braves cool off so we don't lose any ground.

Mets held it together in the first half with defense, starting pitching and a solid but overworked bullpen to offset the issues at the plate.  Helped out by the fact that no other NL East team had a strong first half we are in contention despite hovering just above .500.

Now, deGrom is still out.  Syndergaard has not yet returned.  Taijuan Walker has fallen off a cliff.  Stroman is erratice.  Don't know what we have in Megill.  Carrasco is back but has been meh, as has been Rich Hill.  We seem to fall behind by 3 or 4 runs in every game -- and at a time we need the bats to carry the team, they have remained silent.

14 straight coming up against SF & LA after this Nats series.  I just hope they find a way to still be in the race after this stretch.  12 straight.  That ain't happening.

So, does anyone know how this suspended game works today.  It started as a 9 inning game, but is now part of a doubleheader.  Is it 7 or 9 innings.  Seems to me if you start a game as a full 9 inning game and suspend it in progress, you should be playing the full 9. 

But I doubt that is what is going to happen.  

Edit.  Suspended game will go full 9 innings.  Game 2 will be 7.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Lith said:

Hope you are right.  But 12 straight, especially with west coast trip to LA & SF.  Not going to happen.  I would be happy with 6-6 and hope the Phillies & Braves cool off so we don't lose any ground.

Mets held it together in the first half with defense, starting pitching and a solid but overworked bullpen to offset the issues at the plate.  Helped out by the fact that no other NL East team had a strong first half we are in contention despite hovering just above .500.

Now, deGrom is still out.  Syndergaard has not yet returned.  Taijuan Walker has fallen off a cliff.  Stroman is erratice.  Don't know what we have in Megill.  Carrasco is back but has been meh, as has been Rich Hill.  We seem to fall behind by 3 or 4 runs in every game -- and at a time we need the bats to carry the team, they have remained silent.

14 straight coming up against SF & LA after this Nats series.  I just hope they find a way to still be in the race after this stretch.  12 straight.  That ain't happening.

They're more likely to lose 12 straight.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

JN. 

August 11th.

You heard it here first. 

Mets 1-0 since my prediction. 

Came back from down 1-4 and walked off 8-7. 

1 down. 

11 to go..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Icer said:

If they couldn't handle the Pirates and Marlins they are going to come back from that NL West stretch completely cooked

They came back against the Nationals today. Or what used to be the Nationals, who are now more like a triple A team so it’s really hard to get too excited. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

They came back against the Nationals today. Or what used to be the Nationals, who are now more like a triple A team so it’s really hard to get too excited. 

This race is so much like 1973, but that Mets team had heart and it had pitching. But they were much further behind on August 12. I fear it will not end the same. 

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

This race is so much like 1973, but that Mets team had heart and it had pitching. But they were much further behind on August 12. I fear it will not end the same. 

Good point. In fairness, I don’t think there is one guy on this team that would start on the 1973 team. The only pitcher who would see the field would be Jake.

Don’t see the similarity. In ‘73, the Mets weren’t in 1st place until 4th quarter of the season. This year, they’ve been in 1st place for practically the entire year, only to self destruct after the all star break. And their starting pitching is deplorable and wrecked. They are hanging on a string and have an incredibly difficult schedule left. They’d have to stay close to the division lead and get Jake and Syndegard back by September. Cookie needs to step up and Walker and Stromam need to as well. Not to mention these bats need to WAKE the **** up. Thats a lot of musts. This team is NOTHING like the ‘73 team that had great, reliable pitching, played great defense and had the heart of a lion. I had great hope for this team but it’s been an incredible disappointment from the beginning despite holding on to that 1st place charade. Their lineup SUCKS day in day out. Injuries all over the place. They can’t move runners. They KO in the worst possible moments. Can’t get a damn clutch hit. Rojas constantly mismanages games and the bullpen. Their defense is very suspect. Lindor, their prized acquisition, has been abominable. There are only 3 good hitters on this team. Dom. Who is terrible in left, Nimmo, who is barely acceptable in center, and JD, whose been injured practically the entire year and is a defensive liability at 3rd. This team needs a MAJOR shakeup. And it needs it quick. But I don’t see it happening since they are STUCK with major contracts to many players and there’s only so much money you can spend. 

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Don’t see the similarity. In ‘73, the Mets weren’t in 1st place until 4th quarter of the season. This year, they’ve been in 1st place for practically the entire year, only to self destruct after the all star break. And their starting pitching is deplorable and wrecked. They are hanging on a string and have an incredibly difficult schedule left. They’d have to stay close to the division lead and get Jake and Syndegard back by September. Cookie needs to step up and Walker and Stromam need to as well. Not to mention these bats need to WAKE the **** up. Thats a lot of musts. This team is NOTHING like the ‘73 team that had great, reliable pitching, played great defense and had the heart of a lion. I had great hope for this team but it’s been an incredible disappointment from the beginning despite holding on to that 1st place charade. Their lineup SUCKS day in day out. Injuries all over the place. They can’t move runners. They KO in the worst possible moments. Can’t get a damn clutch hit. Rojas constantly mismanages games and the bullpen. Their defense is very suspect. Lindor, their prized acquisition, has been abominable. There are only 3 good hitters on this team. Dom. Who is terrible in left, Nimmo, who is barely acceptable in center, and JD, whose been injured practically the entire year and is a defensive liability at 3rd. This team needs a MAJOR shakeup. And it needs it quick. But I don’t see it happening since they are STUCK with major contracts to many players and there’s only so much money you can spend. 

The mediocrity of the league remind me of '73. That was my point more than anything else. Commentary on the division, the teams around .500, and no one taking control. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Good point. In fairness, I don’t think there is one guy on this team that would start on the 1973 team. The only pitcher who would see the field would be Jake.

Nimmo > Hahn

Alonso  > Milner

Baez > Harrelson. 

As bad as Baez is, he is a better hitter than Harrelson on his best day, and it is close in the field.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:56 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

JN. 

August 11th.

You heard it here first. 

Mets win 4-1 today. 

I'm a Tampa Bay Devil Rays fan since 13 years old of 1998 the year my family moved to Saint Petersburg of our inaugural season, went to our 1st ever game vs Detroit with my older brother, watched Wade Boggs hit a HR and we got killed but I was hooked ever since and Quinton McCracken was my favorite player lol. I remember 2008 (13 years ago) telling Yankees fans on TGG with a thread created how my Rays were going to win the A.L East and omg was I laughed off their forum. They couldn't believe a small payroll could compete with them. And they were wrong. I still go there to mostly post in that baseball thread ? those guys HATE the Rays now 13 years later and I've loved every second of it. 

Was never a baseball fan in Queens just the Knicks and Jets as a kid for me but I know a good underdog team when I see one. And this Mets team is forreal this year. You don't make it to August 12th in a dog fight during the dog days of the summer for nothing. 

I waited for the perfect time to make my 12 game winning streak prediction for you Mets fans. I helped snap a 4 game losing streak and now you're on a 2 game winning streak. 

2 down. 

10 more to go. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Mets win 4-1 today. 

I'm a Tampa Bay Devil Rays fan since 13 years old of 1998 the year my family moved to Saint Petersburg of our inaugural season, went to our 1st ever game vs Detroit with my older brother, watched Wade Boggs hit a HR and we got killed but I was hooked ever since and Quinton McCracken was my favorite player lol. I remember 2008 (13 years ago) telling Yankees fans on TGG with a thread created how my Rays were going to win the A.L East and omg was I laughed off their forum. They couldn't believe a small payroll could compete with them. And they were wrong. I still go there to mostly post in that baseball thread ? those guys HATE the Rays now 13 years later and I've loved every second of it. 

Was never a baseball fan in Queens just the Knicks and Jets as a kid for me but I know a good underdog team when I see one. And this Mets team is forreal this year. You don't make it to August 12th in a dog fight during the dog days of the summer for nothing. 

I waited for the perfect time to make my 12 game winning streak prediction for you Mets fans. I helped snap a 4 game losing streak and now you're on a 2 game winning streak. 

2 down. 

10 more to go. 

We need more historical background info on you to take you seriously.  Who did you study under? Houdini or Nostradamus or Bart Simpson?

On 8/11/2021 at 1:56 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

JN. 

August 11th.

You heard it here first. 

Now 3-0 since my Mets prediction for you guys (snapping your 4 game losing streak).

3 down. 

9 more to go. 

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Really? 

3 wins in a row so far. 

Dodgers coming in for 3 games this weekend, followed by a West Coast trip to SF and the Dodgers again.  We will soon know how real the DWC magic is.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Dodgers coming in for 3 games this weekend, followed by a West Coast trip to SF and the Dodgers again.  We will soon know how real the DWC magic is.

Will you begin to believe if sweep the Dodgers to create for 6 in a row? 

In all seriousness I just wanted to give you Mets fans some hope because to be .5 out of 1st place? August 12th? Dog days of summer baseball? You wouldn't have signed up for this heading into 2021? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Will you begin to believe if sweep the Dodgers to create for 6 in a row? 

In all seriousness I just wanted to give you Mets fans some hope because to be .5 out of 1st place? August 12th? Dog days of summer baseball? You wouldn't have signed up for this heading into 2021? 

Yes.  Sweep the Dodgers and I will buy in.

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Nimmo > Hahn

Alonso  > Milner

Baez > Harrelson. 

As bad as Baez is, he is a better hitter than Harrelson on his best day, and it is close in the field.

I’ll give you Nimmo and Alonzo, but I draw the line on Baez. That trade is why I am celebrating my 1st of 5 weeks of not watching or listening to the Mets. It’s truly liberating.?

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, section314 said:

I’ll give you Nimmo and Alonzo, but I draw the line on Baez. That trade is why I am celebrating my 1st of 5 weeks of not watching or listening to the Mets. It’s truly liberating.?

Felt the same way you did, but I always seem to flip the game on if I am sitting around the house and I know they are playing.  Nationals series was fun (except for damn near blowing the game in the 9th, er I mean 7th inning yesterday.  I am looking forward to the West Coast swing -- the later starts removes the temptation.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, section314 said:

Would you take a shot on Arietta? Released by Cubs. I would.

Arrieta has been awful.  I know we could use arms, but he is not an upgrade over anyone we have.  I guess if we can get him cheap he is insurance for another starter going down and would allow us to avoid another bullpen game, but he is not adding much at this stage of his career.

48 minutes ago, section314 said:

I meant Lindor, sorry. Had Baez on the mind. But I have to give Lindor the big edge, even though he has been maddening too (not as much as Baez)

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Lith said:

Felt the same way you did, but I always seem to flip the game on if I am sitting around the house and I know they are playing.  Nationals series was fun (except for damn near blowing the game in the 9th, er I mean 7th inning yesterday.  I am looking forward to the West Coast swing -- the later starts removes the temptation.

Baseball is a diary of a summer. Day in and day out it is there for you and spins a tale. There are ebbs and flows and it is the most entertaining sport of all the majors. 

It is long past since I lived and died with it. The heyday for me was the mid 80's, when every game was much watch and the exhilaration and nail biting was tremendous.

I can't wait for ESPN's "30 for 30" 4 part series on the 1986 Mets that starts in mid-September.

• Upvote 4

Baseball is a diary of a summer. Day in and day out it is there for you and spins a tale. There are ebbs and flows and it is the most entertaining sport of all the majors. 

It is long past since I lived and died with it. The heyday for me was the mid 80's, when every game was much watch and the exhilaration and nail biting was tremendous.

I can't wait for ESPN's "30 for 30" 4 part series on the 1986 Mets that starts in mid-September.

Amen. Literally every game.

• Upvote 1