Jump to content

2021 New York Mets Thread


Scott Dierking
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Just another August day for the Mets.  deGrom moved to 60 day DL and another loss.  At least we play the Nationals next week.  The only team we seem to be capable of beating.

He's done for the year. He wont pitch another inning. Whats the point. We just keep falling, falling, falling. Now 7 out. Just a week ago or so we were basically tied for first. Just ABSURD. deGrom may have to get another surgery soon if his elbow doesn't recover. That would be excrutiating to his career and to this team and would sideline him for 2022. 😒  Would Cohen even extend him?  Talk about an absolute volcano erupting. Total meltdown.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need you Mets fans on here to play GM and throw out some solutions to get this team back on track for next year.  YOU KNOW there are going to be major changes, within allowable circumstances. 

In Limbo: deGrom is a huge question mark and have a huge impact on the payroll.  Thor hasnt pitched in 2 years!  Dom Smth: trade bait? With the DH in play next year, Alfonso can be the DH and Smith switched to 1st base. I'd do that in a heartbeat.  He is light years better at 1st than Alfonso.  JD Davis: Uninspiring season - trade bait.  Baez: Would be VERY VERY expensive and is the exact type of player we dont need right now.  McNeil: Its been a disastrous season for him. Injured and cant buy a hit. looks toally lost.  He's Arbitration eligible for the next 3 years. Not sure how that factors into cutting hiim or trading him or keeping him.  He's cheap $642K per year. Bench player? Lugo: Arb 1 eligible - pretty cheap.  Not as effective before his surgery though. Has lost a step. Lucchesi: Arb 123 - struggled but came on later. 

Going Going Gone: Conforto RF. UFA - $12M this season.  Disastrous season. Has NEVER lived up to his hype, constantly injured and goes into deep deep droughts. No way Cohen signs him to a new contract.  Familia: Was having a very good season in the last year of his 3 years contract. Has imploded over the last month. Expensive. 11M per year and will be a FA after this year. HAVE NEVER FORGIVEN HIM FOR HIS WS COLLAPSE. Would have never brought him back.  Time to move on.  Stroman: FA 19M 2021 salary. Would be similar in 2022. NO THANK YOU

Mainstays: McAnn:  Has been decent and is signed for a gazillion years. Nido: Nice backup catcher.  Villar: Has been a man for all seasons.  Perraza: Steady and has had huge hits this year. Great bench guy.  Nimmo: MVP of the team this year. Future looks bright. We are pretty much stuck with Cookie and Walker for a couple more years. The SP is a mess.  Peterson: Showed some promise and is cheapo, same as Megill.  Lindor: I assume we are stuck with this guy for a long long long time.  Castro: Has pitched well overall. Diaz: Has rebounded well and cost us a fortune in prospects. Loup: star of bullpen. May: signed trough 2022.  Drury: Had some big hits. Louie G: Versatile bench guy. Pillar: signed thriugh 2022 and a warrior. Foley: Pitched well. Good innings guy. 

So pretty much focused on the 'important' players.  In essense, this team is a mess.

As far as SP goes: Cookie, Walker, Megill, Petrerson. Thor and deGrom are big question marks. deGrom is signed through 2024. Thor is a FA. 

Infield: Dom goes to 1st base. Lindor at SS. 3rd base?  2nd base?  McAnn - C   Alfonso - DH

OF: Nimmo CF/LF  Thats it. 

So we are looking at getting another ace SP, a 3rd baseman, a 2nd baseman, a RF and a CF or LF. 

Any ideas?  Its a tall order 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I need you Mets fans on here to play GM and throw out some solutions to get this team back on track for next year.  YOU KNOW there are going to be major changes, within allowable circumstances. 

In Limbo: deGrom is a huge question mark and have a huge impact on the payroll.  Thor hasnt pitched in 2 years!  Dom Smth: trade bait? With the DH in play next year, Alfonso can be the DH and Smith switched to 1st base. I'd do that in a heartbeat.  He is light years better at 1st than Alfonso.  JD Davis: Uninspiring season - trade bait.  Baez: Would be VERY VERY expensive and is the exact type of player we dont need right now.  McNeil: Its been a disastrous season for him. Injured and cant buy a hit. looks toally lost.  He's Arbitration eligible for the next 3 years. Not sure how that factors into cutting hiim or trading him or keeping him.  He's cheap $642K per year. Bench player? Lugo: Arb 1 eligible - pretty cheap.  Not as effective before his surgery though. Has lost a step. Lucchesi: Arb 123 - struggled but came on later. 

Going Going Gone: Conforto RF. UFA - $12M this season.  Disastrous season. Has NEVER lived up to his hype, constantly injured and goes into deep deep droughts. No way Cohen signs him to a new contract.  Familia: Was having a very good season in the last year of his 3 years contract. Has imploded over the last month. Expensive. 11M per year and will be a FA after this year. HAVE NEVER FORGIVEN HIM FOR HIS WS COLLAPSE. Would have never brought him back.  Time to move on.  Stroman: FA 19M 2021 salary. Would be similar in 2022. NO THANK YOU

Mainstays: McAnn:  Has been decent and is signed for a gazillion years. Nido: Nice backup catcher.  Villar: Has been a man for all seasons.  Perraza: Steady and has had huge hits this year. Great bench guy.  Nimmo: MVP of the team this year. Future looks bright. We are pretty much stuck with Cookie and Walker for a couple more years. The SP is a mess.  Peterson: Showed some promise and is cheapo, same as Megill.  Lindor: I assume we are stuck with this guy for a long long long time.  Castro: Has pitched well overall. Diaz: Has rebounded well and cost us a fortune in prospects. Loup: star of bullpen. May: signed trough 2022.  Drury: Had some big hits. Louie G: Versatile bench guy. Pillar: signed thriugh 2022 and a warrior. Foley: Pitched well. Good innings guy. 

So pretty much focused on the 'important' players.  In essense, this team is a mess.

As far as SP goes: Cookie, Walker, Megill, Petrerson. Thor and deGrom are big question marks. deGrom is signed through 2024. Thor is a FA. 

Infield: Dom goes to 1st base. Lindor at SS. 3rd base?  2nd base?  McAnn - C   Alfonso - DH

OF: Nimmo CF/LF  Thats it. 

So we are looking at getting another ace SP, a 3rd baseman, a 2nd baseman, a RF and a CF or LF. 

Any ideas?  Its a tall order 

Will give this more thought to craft a total response, but  here are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. First order of business is to clean out the front office, and hire a President of baseball operations( cough, cough, Theo, cough.)  At this stage, you have to approach 2022 as though Jake will not be available. That said, have to resign Stroman. He has pitched better than any starter but Jake his year. The fact that he has 12 losses with an ERA of 2.84 tells you all you need to know about this team.....that they are a collection of position player bums, outside of Alonzo, McCann, Nimmo and Dom. Lindor gets an INC.  Bye bye Davis, Baez Conforto, McNeil. May need to sign two FA pitchers. Would also keep an eye on Trevor Story in the offseason. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Any ideas?  Its a tall order 

They're absolute trash from top to bottom.  Your stuck with Lindor and Alonso is worth a 2nd contract but otherwise, it's just a trash roster.  It's really a total rebuild and I dont even know where to begin because they literally have nothing to build around and anything that is remotely good is also a huge question mark.  I guess you just keep hold of a few of these mediocre bums like Dom and Nimmo, whatever but every single position needs an upgrade.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Will give this more thought to craft a total response, but  here are just a few thoughts off the top of my head. First order of business is to clean out the front office, and hire a President of baseball operations( cough, cough, Theo, cough.)  At this stage, you have to approach 2022 as though Jake will not be available. That said, have to resign Stroman. He has pitched better than any starter but Jake his year. The fact that he has 12 losses with an ERA of 2.84 tells you all you need to know about this team.....that they are a collection of position player bums, outside of Alonzo, McCann, Nimmo and Dom. Lindor gets an INC.  Bye bye Davis, Baez Conforto, McNeil. May need to sign two FA pitchers. Would also keep an eye on Trevor Story in the offseason. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

Totally agree but not interested in Stroman. He’s just not worth 20M IMO. Always gives up big hits in key moments and is not a KO pitcher when you need one. He’s a good 4-5 SP but 20M? Cmon! Theo would be heaven sent. They need to get rid of Rojas. He’s just terrible in game manager. Doesn’t adapt, doesn’t have a sense of how to use the bullpen. Doesn’t know how to respond accordingly. Need a veteran manager desperately. Need a hitting coach as well. It’s a Mets mess. 2 new SP’s - yes. Resign Thor? Don’t see it happening. it’s pretty much a certainty deGrom is done for 2022 and will need a TJ surgery. What’s the point of going through this again next year. None. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JiFapono said:

They're absolute trash from top to bottom.  Your stuck with Lindor and Alonso is worth a 2nd contract but otherwise, it's just a trash roster.  It's really a total rebuild and I dont even know where to begin because they literally have nothing to build around and anything that is remotely good is also a huge question mark.  I guess you just keep hold of a few of these mediocre bums like Dom and Nimmo, whatever but every single position needs an upgrade.

 

Nimmo is a catalyst. Dom is an excellent hitter and is outstanding at 1B. Alfonso goes to DH. McAnn at catcher. Lindor at SS. That’s about it LOL 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Nimmo is a catalyst. Dom is an excellent hitter and is outstanding at 1B. Alfonso goes to DH. McAnn at catcher. Lindor@ SS. 

Red -  correct

Blue -  probably correct

Orange- I think you meant Alonso

Blue-Gray - McCann should be a backup catcher

Purple - I don't know what to make of him other than he is not a $300 mil player

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Red -  correct

Blue -  probably correct

Orange- I think you meant Alonso

Blue-Gray - McCann should be a backup catcher

Purple - I don't know what to make of him other than he is not a $300 mil player

More like Lindor 30 million for 10 years / yep what a moron Cohen is LOL ehhh he’s a  billionaire.  losing 340 M is like a few hundred to us working class heroes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WIth great apprehension, at her request, I'm taking my daughter and 2 grandkids to Citifield tonight.  The older one has been to a couple games BUT the younger one, age 5, who already has an uncanny baseball skill set, has never been to a baseball game.  I am in total dread this event could traumatize this kid and ultimately cause him to turn to the Dark Side.  Children are so vulnerable, so impressionable.  I got great seats, 14 rows behind the Giants dugout on Stubhub, again at my daughter's request -"I want him to be able to really see the game" . Wo is me i said to myself. Wo is me". This poor kid. He's actually been raised in NY and Boston so he may turn out to be a Sox fan. I could live with that. But a Skankee fan? No No Noooooo.  My dad took me to many games in the 69 season. It was absolutely electric.  I've taken my daughter to many games when Shea was still standing. I made sure she was a Mets fan. She balked on the Jets but she is a diehard Mets fan.  I would be besides myself if the little one turned to the Dark Side after witnessing a debacle like last night.  I will have to pull out all the stops to prevent any betrayal here. 

sith.jpeg

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

WIth great apprehension, at her request, I'm taking my daughter and 2 grandkids to Citifield tonight.  The older one has been to a couple games BUT the younger one, age 5, who already has an uncanny baseball skill set, has never been to a baseball game.  I am in total dread this event could traumatize this kid and ultimately cause him to turn to the Dark Side.  Children are so vulnerable, so impressionable.  I got great seats, 14 rows behind the Giants dugout on Stubhub, again at my daughter's request -"I want him to be able to really see the game" . Wo is me i said to myself. Wo is me". This poor kid. He's actually been raised in NY and Boston so he may turn out to be a Sox fan. I could live with that. But a Skankee fan? No No Noooooo.  My dad took me to many games in the 69 season. It was absolutely electric.  I've taken my daughter to many games when Shea was still standing. I made sure she was a Mets fan. She balked on the Jets but she is a diehard Mets fan.  I would be besides myself if the little one turned to the Dark Side after witnessing a debacle like last night.  I will have to pull out all the stops to prevent any betrayal here. 

sith.jpeg

Good luck.  Enjoy the evening with your family.  Maybe they will do something uncharacteristic tonight, and win a game for a change. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When a team takes a fall like this and consistently underperforms esp offensively. And every game is almost the same old thing. You tune in late and look for the score and whatever inning the Mets usually have zero runs at least for the first 5 or 6 innings. Look they already fired their hitting coach and his assistant earlier this year. You know this owner is impatient. So maybe the only thing to jump start this team is to fire the manager. It’s not like he has a good track record the team wasn’t that good last year either. Not sure who to replace him with. Maybe Bruce Bochy would come out of retirement. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

When a team takes a fall like this and consistently underperforms esp offensively. And every game is almost the same old thing. You tune in late and look for the score and whatever inning the Mets usually have zero runs at least for the first 5 or 6 innings. Look they already fired their hitting coach and his assistant earlier this year. You know this owner is impatient. So maybe the only thing to jump start this team is to fire the manager. It’s not like he has a good track record the team wasn’t that good last year either. Not sure who to replace him with. Maybe Bruce Bochy would come out of retirement. 

First order of business is to clean out the front office and hire a president of baseball operations (Epstein) who will pick a GM who will hire a manager. As far as players go, other than Lindor and his contract, and Jake, there is nobody on the  major by league roster who is untouchable. Knowing Cohen from my years on Wall Street, this total incompetence will not be tolerated. And it will not be pleasant for those involved.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, that didn't go so well, did it @Maynard13, but look on the bright side, at least your grandson got an up close look at the fundamentals of turning double plays.  Which was about the only fundamentally sound part of that game.  Giants did everything they could to give that game to us, but we just wouldn't take it. 

Just when you think this team hits rockbottom, they sink a little lower.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

Well, that didn't go so well, did it @Maynard13, but look on the bright side, at least your grandson got an up close look at the fundamentals of turning double plays.  Which was about the only fundamentally sound part of that game.  Giants did everything they could to give that game to us, but we just wouldn't take it. 

Just when you think this team hits rockbottom, they sink a little lower.

The Mets are going to need starting pitching this off-season like never before, and  I’m starting to think that Alonzo is going to be the bait.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

The Mets are going to need starting pitching this off-season like never before, and  I’m starting to think that Alonzo is going to be the bait.

I think you build around Alonso, I would not use him as trade bait.  He is about the only guy who is doing what you would expect offensively this year. 

I just don't understand how so may solid professional hitters (McNeil, McCann, Conforto, Lindor, Dom, Davis) could all have off years together.  Fired the hitting coach, but nothing changes.  We can't string together good at bats, can't put the ball in play with a runner on 3rd, completely inept with RISP.  There is a reason for the pitching struggles, we needed the lineup to carry us int eh second half, and collectively they have failed miserably.  

Whole team will look vastly different next year.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, section314 said:

First order of business is to clean out the front office and hire a president of baseball operations (Epstein) who will pick a GM who will hire a manager. As far as players go, other than Lindor and his contract, and Jake, there is nobody on the  major by league roster who is untouchable. Knowing Cohen from my years on Wall Street, this total incompetence will not be tolerated. And it will not be pleasant for those involved.

The hope is that Lindor gets it together and is the player they gave the huge contract to. But not every player after getting paid and a 10 year guaranteed contract performs. Maybe the drive he had earlier in his career isn't as strong.  So far the guy is a big disappointment and not the first time the Mets signed a big time infielder and the guy ended up being below average. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Well, that didn't go so well, did it @Maynard13, but look on the bright side, at least your grandson got an up close look at the fundamentals of turning double plays.  Which was about the only fundamentally sound part of that game.  Giants did everything they could to give that game to us, but we just wouldn't take it. 

Just when you think this team hits rockbottom, they sink a little lower.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JETSY14 said:

They have so many runners in scoring position nightly but they can't get them home

Actually was shocked to see this AM that they are 24th in the league in BA and 26th in OPS with runners in scoring position.  I assumed they had to be lower.  On the other hand, they have so few RISP situations, that they have produced 30 fewer runs with RISP than anyone else in baseball.

They are a brutal watch these days.  At least with football starting up, there will be something else to watch.  The last week and a half I have been watching the Tour of Spain bike race each night rather than the Mets.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2021 at 9:49 AM, Lith said:

Actually was shocked to see this AM that they are 24th in the league in BA and 26th in OPS with runners in scoring position.  I assumed they had to be lower.  On the other hand, they have so few RISP situations, that they have produced 30 fewer runs with RISP than anyone else in baseball.

They are a brutal watch these days.  At least with football starting up, there will be something else to watch.  The last week and a half I have been watching the Tour of Spain bike race each night rather than the Mets.

See the latest? Noah tested positive. You can’t make this up. Isn’t he the only guy this year? 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, section314 said:

See the latest? Noah tested positive. You can’t make this up. Isn’t he the only guy this year? 

Probably -- I can't reember another player testing positive this season. 

Have not watched any of the last two games, but Odd Christian Eiking is holding his lead in Spain by about 50 seconds over Guillaume Martin and about 90 seconds over race favorite Primos Roglic.  Will make for a compelling final week as they had to the mountains on Wednesday and Thursday.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Lith said:

What a leader.  This clown should ride the bench the rest of the season.  Same as LIndor who also did a thumbs down to the fans today.

 

Wow. Just wow

The part of Bobby Bonilla will be played tonight by Francisco Lindor

The part of Vince Coleman will be played tonight by Javy Baez.

Mets fans just can't win

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Lith said:

What a leader.  This clown should ride the bench the rest of the season.  Same as LIndor who also did a thumbs down to the fans today.

 

Un-*******-real.  I've never hated a Mets team more than I hate this ******* team.  Holy sh*t.  I cant even believe this is even real.  You're a gutless group of losers who have dropped 20 of 25 or some sh*t like that and there are idiots dumb enough to pay money to go watch you lose and not hit and play like sh*t and not give a **** about it and you're going to give the a thumbs down?   So ****ed up.  Go back to Chicago where they're piss drunk and more concerned about their next beer than watching you play.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Un-*******-real.  I've never hated a Mets team more than I hate this ******* team.  Holy sh*t.  I cant even believe this is even real.  You're a gutless group of losers who have dropped 20 of 25 or some sh*t like that and there are idiots dumb enough to pay money to go watch you lose and not hit and play like sh*t and not give a **** about it and you're going to give the a thumbs down?   So ****ed up.  Go back to Chicago where they're piss drunk and more concerned about their next beer than watching you play.  

I sometimes wonder how players can be so tone deaf.  You are playing like crap.  You fell out of first place, You dropped 11 games in the standings in four weeks.  And you are calling out the fans.  Especially for it to be a guy like Baez who has been here for less than a month.  Just sit his ass on the bench the rest of the season.  Not sure what to do with LIndor, but they gotta get that figured out.  Admit that you are playing like crap and that the fans deserve better, not this booing the fans bs. 

Either tone deaf, or they just don't give a s**t.  Win or lose, they are stil getting paid.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

I sometimes wonder how players can be so tone deaf.  You are playing like crap.  You fell out of first place, You dropped 11 games in the standings in four weeks.  And you are calling out the fans.  Especially for it to be a guy like Baez who has been here for less than a month.  Just sit his ass on the bench the rest of the season.  Not sure what to do with LIndor, but they gotta get that figured out.  Admit that you are playing like crap and that the fans deserve better, not this booing the fans bs. 

Either tone deaf, or they just don't give a s**t.  Win or lose, they are stil getting paid.

My hope is that in response to this, they're booed merciless for the rest of the season.  When they step to the plate, when they make a play in the field, when they're name is called...any situation where they're in the spot light, the loudest roar of boo's you could possibly make, I hope it happens every ******* time.  **** these losers, get Baez the **** off this team.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...