2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hopefully this ages well. What are your thoughts on re-signing Baez? 
Although I love watching his highlights, His SO #’s and OBP scare me….

I have always like Baez as a player.  Maybe more than most.  Seems like when I watched him play for the Cubs, he always had a knack for getting the big hit or making a big play in a big spot.  And we have seen some of that in his two months here.  All depends on the money, though, and what other FAs are out there this winter.  

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I have always like Baez as a player.  Maybe more than most.  Seems like when I watched him play for the Cubs, he always had a knack for getting the big hit or making a big play in a big spot.  And we have seen some of that in his two months here.  All depends on the money, though, and what other FAs are out there this winter.  

Remember also we have Cano and his $20m per coming back through 2023. If this weren’t the case then I would try to lock up Baez. Pete’s 1st arbitration year starts ‘22. He’ll get a big raise. 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:00 AM, 32EBoozer said:

Remember also we have Cano and his $20m per coming back through 2023. If this weren’t the case then I would try to lock up Baez. Pete’s 1st arbitration year starts ‘22. He’ll get a big raise. 

Seriously doubt Cano ever sees the field again as a Met.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Surprised that there has been no discussion in here about the 4 part 30 on 30 "Once Upon a Time in Queens". Fabulously done doc, with footage and stories I had never heard. If you haven't seen it, must watch. It took a little of the sting away from this season.

Yes. Saw parts of it, and it is a fantastic watch. I really hope Cohen goes big, and lures either Beane or Epstein here. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yes. Saw parts of it, and it is a fantastic watch. I really hope Cohen goes big, and lures either Beane or Epstein here. 

The three that I have heard mentioned are Epstein, Beane and also Stearns (Milwaukee org.) On the surface, it would seem any of them would be a good hire. Imagine what Beane or Stearns could do with a big budget. Both their farm systems produce talent regularly. Epstein is a known quantity.

You know Cohen's tactics better than I do, so I am betting he wants to go big

On 10/5/2021 at 9:47 AM, section314 said:

Considering we drafted Billy Beane, it would be fitting that he come here and put an asterick on a lousy playing career but a magnificent front office career.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Probably SD makes an offer IMO. Can’t beat the weather and has a good foundation (except for the SA Fault which will cause it to fall off into the sea in the next 4 years)

Does Max know you are a seismologist?? Sounds like Theo really is waiting for an ownership type gig. If I'm Cohen, and the Mets are going to keep using these analytic types, I'd focus on Tampa. 

• Sympathy 1

On 10/4/2021 at 5:01 PM, chirorob said:

You can trade him, but then have to eat a big chunk of his salary

Or have him DH and use him as a backup. 20M is nothing to sneeze at.  Eff it. Make him earn it. Dom is as goos as gone as is McNeil and Conforto. this team needs defense, starters, speed and hitters. Cano can still hit. Its not like he's the first guy to get caught. He paid his penance.  Play out his contract.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:00 AM, Scott Dierking said:

The three that I have heard mentioned are Epstein, Beane and also Stearns (Milwaukee org.) On the surface, it would seem any of them would be a good hire. Imagine what Beane or Stearns could do with a big budget. Both their farm systems produce talent regularly. Epstein is a known quantity.

You know Cohen's tactics better than I do, so I am betting he wants to go big

Heard Padres will NOT let Stearns interview as they can blocxk him. Epstein declined. That leaves Beane in the driver's seat.  Talk about negotiating from a position of strentgh.  Here's a check for a 10 year contract. Put our own figure in there Billy..

20 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Heard Padres will NOT let Stearns interview as they can blocxk him. Epstein declined. That leaves Beane in the driver's seat.  Talk about negotiating from a position of strentgh.  Here's a check for a 10 year contract. Put our own figure in there Billy..

Josh Byrnes (Dodgers) is another one to keep an eye on, along with Daniels (Rangers)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Cubs also

As quirky as he is, Strohman had a nice year. Would not be unhappy at all if he signs back here. Other than Marcus, every starter has huge? Tell me what you think about this…if Bauer is exonerated, and LA would consider moving him, do we make a call? Should we make a call?

57 minutes ago, section314 said:

As quirky as he is, Strohman had a nice year. Would not be unhappy at all if he signs back here. Other than Marcus, every starter has huge? Tell me what you think about this…if Bauer is exonerated, and LA would consider moving him, do we make a call? Should we make a call?

Stroman is great as a 3. He gives a different look than deGrom and Syndergaard. He consistently went out there and gave inning.

Bauer is going to be untouchable. Not sure what happens to him.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Mets can't find a GM candidate they have whiffed on top guys like Epstein in the market. Usually that reflects on the ownership. Top candidates might not want to work for him.  Cohen was a questionable character based on his Wall Street rep but Mets fans assumed because he is super rich and himself a Mets fan he would work out and be a big improvement over the previous ownership, not a high bar. But then he brought back Sandy a move hard to comprehend. And last year Sandy hired a GM and Asst GM and both guys fizzled out. Why would you want Sandy and Cohen to hire somebody else after seeing who they hired the previous year. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2021 at 1:21 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Stroman is great as a 3. He gives a different look than deGrom and Syndergaard. He consistently went out there and gave inning.

Bauer is going to be untouchable. Not sure what happens to him.

Depending on the locking I think he is going to be hard to sign. He is going to get paid as more than a # 3 for sure.

On 11/11/2021 at 8:31 AM, Scott Dierking said:

There is a lot of growing sentiment in the industry that Stearns wants to be with the Mets, and the Mets want Stearns. They just have to wait a year.

So let Sandy be the GM for this year and get a behind-the-scenes agreement in place with Stearns for next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So let Sandy be the GM for this year and get a behind-the-scenes agreement in place with Stearns for next year.

Milwaukee will be SOOOOO on the lookout for this and would look tp penalize the Mets if there were any indication of tampering. The Milwaukee ownership is indignant to the large markets.

So yeah, it will probably happen. Because Mets. 

• Upvote 3