2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

46 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Noah to the angels??

Looks like it. For a "paltry" $2.6m more than the QO. Odd, considering that Syndergaard was BEGGING the Mets to provide to extend the QO, and that he "couldn't imagine not playing for the Mets".

Extending the QO for Syndergaard was not a no brainer. This is a guy that has pitched 2 innings in the past 2 years and we are unsure if he can throw his slider. 

The Angels deal is a 1 year deal. Syndergaard MAYBE can pitch 120 innings next year. MAYBE he is doing the Mets a favor here. The Mets can re-sign Syndergaard after 1 year and let him have a reduced innings count with the Angels. 

Now, the new Mets GM really has to get on the job quickly. Strohman is almost a must now. The Mets don't even know what they will get from deGrom.  

BIG draft next year for the Mets. 2 first rounders. At least 2 second rounders and a probably a third second rounder coming for Conforto.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Looks like it. For a "paltry" $2.6m more than the QO. Odd, considering that Syndergaard was BEGGING the Mets to provide to extend the QO, and that he "couldn't imagine not playing for the Mets".

Extending the QO for Syndergaard was not a no brainer. This is a guy that has pitched 2 innings in the past 2 years and we are unsure if he can throw his slider. 

The Angels deal is a 1 year deal. Syndergaard MAYBE can pitch 120 innings next year. MAYBE he is doing the Mets a favor here. The Mets can re-sign Syndergaard after 1 year and let him have a reduced innings count with the Angels. 

Now, the new Mets GM really has to get on the job quickly. Strohman is almost a must now. The Mets don't even know what they will get from deGrom.  

BIG draft next year for the Mets. 2 first rounders. At least 2 second rounders and a probably a third second rounder coming for Conforto.

If conforto signs elsewhere do they get another 2nd rounder?

51 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I heard something the other day along the lines of because the Mets didn’t sign rocker last year if they sign any FA with a QO attached to him they will forfeit a 1st rd pick. Is there any truth to that

Because the Mets did not come to agreement with Rocker, they get the same pick in next year (11th overall) in addition to their own pick (14th overall).

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Because the Mets did not come to agreement with Rocker, they get the same pick in next year (11th overall) in addition to their own pick (14th overall).

But I heard if you sign a FA with a QO you give up your 2nd pick in the draft. Because Mets have 2 picks. It becomes a first rounder 

1 minute ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Stroman is a thug , waiting to explode . Run while you can . Plenty of other options .

What makes him a "thug"? 

Last year he showed he could handle NY. he showed he can give innings. Not everyone can. I would LOVE to slot him in the 3 spot in the rotation.

Now, do some homework here, and tell me who is a possible get. And I am very unsure if Scherzer would come here.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What makes him a "thug"? 

Last year he showed he could handle NY. he showed he can give innings. Not everyone can. I would LOVE to slot him in the 3 spot in the rotation.

Now, do some homework here, and tell me who is a possible get. And I am very unsure if Scherzer would come here.

Verlander , Gausman , Kikuchi , Davies , Quintana , among others .

3 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Verlander , Gausman , Kikuchi , Davies , Quintana , among others .

Verlander- He does not have much tread left on those tires. I want some guaranteed innings. I can't give him the 2 slot.

Gausman-I would be fine with, but I don't ses him leaving SF. That was too good of a situation for him.

Kikuchi??-How is he better than Stroman?

Davies- He is Stroman light, with more home run balls. If he does not have his control, he gets shelled.

Qunitana??? Are you being serious here?

I would hate to see your "among others".

You never answered why Stroman is a "thug". Or should I be afraid to ask?

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2021 at 10:19 AM, Scott Dierking said:

That is a terrible deal for the Angels.

21 million for a guy who hasn't thrown in 2 years, and you get a draft pick for him.

Also, as you said, what is his innings max?  120?  130? 

• Upvote 1

A big mistake was not resigning Aaron Loup. He is worth 17 million for 2 years. He was the Mets best relief pitcher by a mile last year when most of the other guys were unreliable and blew games. The bullpen should be number one in terms of needs and the Mets have lost a lot of winnable games because of it. In 2019 we might have made the playoffs if not for Edwin Diaz who I’d love to see gone. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not unhappy that Matz didn’t sign with us I’m kind of glad. He was inconsistent with the Mets I was happy when he left. He had a good year last year with the Jays he probably should have re-signed with them. As for the owner getting involved and complaining about Matz agent we’re maybe seeing why we can’t sign front office talent and so far are losing players. Players etc don’t want to sign on a team with unstable ownership. Sure Cohen has a lot of money but even before he bought the team there were unflattering remarks made about him and his activities on Wall Street. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/25/2021 at 12:31 AM, Rangers9 said:

I’m not unhappy that Matz didn’t sign with us I’m kind of glad. He was inconsistent with the Mets I was happy when he left. He had a good year last year with the Jays he probably should have re-signed with them. As for the owner getting involved and complaining about Matz agent we’re maybe seeing why we can’t sign front office talent and so far are losing players. Players etc don’t want to sign on a team with unstable ownership. Sure Cohen has a lot of money but even before he bought the team there were unflattering remarks made about him and his activities on Wall Street. 

I think the bigger issue right now is pretty basic....we don't have a manager. Nobody in their right mind would sign a deal without knowing who he would be playing for.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

I think the bigger issue right now is pretty basic....we don't have a manager. Nobody in their right mind would sign a deal without knowing who he would be playing for.

Well the Mets were unable to get the top echelon GM they wanted like Epstein etc. Not that the guy the hired isn't qualified, he is. They waited until his hiring to name a manager which is what they should have done. Like to see him get an experienced mgr. like Sciocia, Bochy if they still want to manage.