Jump to content

2021 New York Mets Thread


Scott Dierking
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Good player, money per year isn't bad.

Just a bit long of a contract for a player that age.   But, that's what you need to do in FA

He was going to get it somewhere else. There were other teams in on him. The Phillies wanted him badly. BAD money is the $20m they owe Cano the next 2 years.

This allows Nimmo to go to left. I am guessing Canha to right. It improves both CF and LF defense. It also give you an outfield that can get on base and can steal some bases (Nimmo needs to get better at this). 

I don't see Dom on this team now, nor probably Mcneil (depending on what happens with Baez). Davis should be gone too. See what trades they can work out there.

Now it is about pitching. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

He was going to get it somewhere else. There were other teams in on him. The Phillies wanted him badly. BAD money is the $20m they owe Cano the next 2 years.

This allows Nimmo to go to left. I am guessing Canha to right. It improves both CF and LF defense. It also give you an outfield that can get on base and can steal some bases (Nimmo needs to get better at this). 

I don't see Dom on this team now, nor probably Mcneil (depending on what happens with Baez). Davis should be gone too. See what trades they can work out there.

Now it is about pitching. 

If MLB finally goes to the universal DH, I would definitely keep Dom here. Wonder if Mets agree to pay Cano's $ if there may be a market for him? Want him gone, at any cost. Is Gausman really an upgrade over Stroman, especially at what he will probably cost? Also, wonder how Matt Allen is doing after his Tommy John last year? They were projecting him as a future #1/2 starter. In reality, none of this other stuff matters unless Jake is 100%.  To change course here, as a PSU alum, are you happy with the Franklin extension?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, section314 said:

If MLB finally goes to the universal DH, I would definitely keep Dom here. Wonder if Mets agree to pay Cano's $ if there may be a market for him? Want him gone, at any cost. Is Gausman really an upgrade over Stroman, especially at what he will probably cost? Also, wonder how Matt Allen is doing after his Tommy John last year? They were projecting him as a future #1/2 starter. In reality, none of this other stuff matters unless Jake is 100%.  To change course here, as a PSU alum, are you happy with the Franklin extension?

I have been anti-Franklin since about year 2. He is awful. Great recruiter, lousy game manager. This was my most hated PSU team in all my years of fandom. And they had a couple bad teams in 82-83.

I watched Gausman a lot last year, as he was on my fantasy team. When his splitter is working, he is unhittable. He is basically a 2 pitch pitcher with the splitter and the fastball. During the middle of the year, he lost control with his splitter and in a few of those spots, he was touched up. It is definitely a touch pitch with him. Up until July, he was probably considered the Cy Young favorite in the NL. He is getting up there in age a little. But he should maintain that splitter, which he learned late in his career.

I don't hate Stroman. he just has to be perfect with control and pitch selection. And pitchers are not going to have control in at least 1 of every 3 starts. But he battles, and goes to the mound every start. 

Choice between the 2, I would want Gausman. But no more than 4-5 years. 

Don't sleep on Jon Gray. He had to battle Coors Field a lot. But he is a bull dog and has great stuff. He will be a much better pitcher coming from the Rockies. He is a little like Matz, in that sometimes in tough spots, he battles himself. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have been anti-Franklin since about year 2. He is awful. Great recruiter, lousy game manager. This was my most hated PSU team in all my years of fandom. And they had a couple bad teams in 82-83.

I watched Gausman a lot last year, as he was on my fantasy team. When his splitter is working, he is unhittable. He is basically a 2 pitch pitcher with the splitter and the fastball. During the middle of the year, he lost control with his splitter and in a few of those spots, he was touched up. It is definitely a touch pitch with him. Up until July, he was probably considered the Cy Young favorite in the NL. He is getting up there in age a little. But he should maintain that splitter, which he learned late in his career.

I don't hate Stroman. he just has to be perfect with control and pitch selection. And pitchers are not going to have control in at least 1 of every 3 starts. But he battles, and goes to the mound every start. 

Choice between the 2, I would want Gausman. But no more than 4-5 years. 

Don't sleep on Jon Gray. He had to battle Coors Field a lot. But he is a bull dog and has great stuff. He will be a much better pitcher coming from the Rockies. He is a little like Matz, in that sometimes in tough spots, he battles himself. 

Have the same feelings about Schiano. Have heard the Mets are in on Gray. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For Mets fans and radio hosts complaining that these signings are not big enough they want bigger more expensive fish. And say they are disappointed in Steve Cohen as owner they expected more $$$ to be spent. I'd like to remind them about last year and the signing of Francisco Lindor who got his 10 year deal for $341 million and how that has worked out so far. It's kind of a disaster. So if they want to attack Cohen for underspending (I heard a host on the Fan last night making that point) it's not the case. He did spend and if he had to do that signing again he'd have to be crazy to pay Lindor that much money. You can't get rid of that contract. So these signings were moderate deals and the players not superstars but guys who can help to win games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canha had a higher batting average, a much higher OBP and only hit 3 fewer HRs.  Meanwhile Lindor is a $34M man while Canha makes around $13M.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/canhama01.shtml

Mark Canha

image.png.e3570a0ed6cc0b7afa24bf7deb8f8b50.png

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lindofr01.shtml

Francisco Lindor

image.png.596c7e8e5292d369657e615c87e198c2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Canha had a higher batting average, a much higher OBP and only hit 3 fewer HRs.  Meanwhile Lindor is a $34M man while Canha makes around $13M.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/canhama01.shtml

Mark Canha

image.png.e3570a0ed6cc0b7afa24bf7deb8f8b50.png

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lindofr01.shtml

Francisco Lindor

image.png.596c7e8e5292d369657e615c87e198c2.png

Last year was not a fair representation of the talent that Lindor has. Whether talent has the ability to see its way to the end of the contract is the more debatable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Last year was not a fair representation of the talent that Lindor has. Whether talent has the ability to see its way to the end of the contract is the more debatable.

I understand that.  But you are what your record says you are and all that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...