2021 New York Mets Thread

18 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Smith is not going to be starting LF. No way.  Smith is a huge trade chip Sandy has in his pocket. There is just no position for him. It makes zero sense to keep him here. His trade value should be high. He has really turned into an offensive force and could bring back some needed prospects to rebuild the farm system. He is not beating out Alonso at 1st and there will be no DH in NL.  Cohen will not bring back Cano. They will try and trade and swap him for another player.  Matz will got to pen.  He's not starting.  Springer or Bradley sound like nice moves.  We have more than enough offense and need to improve the defense.  Nimmo in left. Period.  He's a catalyst and needs to play every day.  McNeil is decent at 2nd and needs to stay put as it only helps his mindset.  And I'm ok with JD at 3rd. He showed some skills last year and will only get better.  Who knows what else Sandy has up his sleeve? One can only be excited. 🤸‍♀️

Few problems with this.

1) No decision has been made about DL in the NL.  I agree it would be surprising at this point, but it's not decided and frankly, I expect it to happen by 2022 even if it doesn't happen this year.  If that's the case, then keeping Dom around as a sub for a year isn't so terrible if he can become a premium DH.  

2) Dom hit 85 points higher in BA than Alonzo.  As a result his OPS was .993 vs .817.  Don't get me wrong, I love Pete, but if that trend continues, it's going to be very hard to ignore.  Pete needs to lift his average back up to .260 while continuing to hit for power.  And if Dom reverts back a bit then it's a no-brainer in Alonzo's favor as you say.  But again, likely isn't certain.  I'd like to see how things to in April/May.

3) Who exactly do you see starting in LF as of this current roster?  Nimmo?  It's pretty much him or Smith assuming Davis is at 3B.  Really, there is no one else.  Having Smith DH, and fill in for Alonzo and/or Nimmo maybe 2x / week isn't such a terrible burden for the first two months and by then we'll have a better idea of what's what.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is a new era, and time to leave the stench of the threads that were controlled by the Wilpons. Let's start anew. LFGM!!!

Love this.  Just gotta make sure we can extend Lindor beyond 2021.

The worst part about this is that the collapse is happening now.  Had it been a month ago, we would could have been sellers at the deadline and restocked the system (kind of like the Cubs did, but not

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Few problems with this.

1) No decision has been made about DL in the NL.  I agree it would be surprising at this point, but it's not decided and frankly, I expect it to happen by 2022 even if it doesn't happen this year.  If that's the case, then keeping Dom around as a sub for a year isn't so terrible if he can become a premium DH.  

2) Dom hit 85 points higher in BA than Alonzo.  As a result his OPS was .993 vs .817.  Don't get me wrong, I love Pete, but if that trend continues, it's going to be very hard to ignore.  Pete needs to lift his average back up to .260 while continuing to hit for power.  And if Dom reverts back a bit then it's a no-brainer in Alonzo's favor as you say.  But again, likely isn't certain.  I'd like to see how things to in April/May.

3) Who exactly do you see starting in LF as of this current roster?  Nimmo?  It's pretty much him or Smith assuming Davis is at 3B.  Really, there is no one else.  Having Smith DH, and fill in for Alonzo and/or Nimmo maybe 2x / week isn't such a terrible burden for the first two months and by then we'll have a better idea of what's what.

Lot of problems with this. LOL There will never be a DH permanently in NL. Maybe this year, I doubt it. They are returning to regular schedule this year.  If they go DH this year, then yeah ok hold Dom another year. Last years stats are meaningless to me across the board. They should have just canceled the season.  The shortened season  was a joke.  Alonso also needs to play at 1st every day.  It definitely screwed him up having to DH.  Its not happening again.  Love Dom. He's really established himself but there is no position for him. We could get back a haul for him.  Sandy will not start Dom in LF. He even said so when interviewed on facebook with Porter this week.  He clearly stated 'Dom is NOT a LF".  I can see Sandy waiting to see if he can get Springer, which is now doubtful since they acquired Lindor, or just getting a really good defensive CF like Bradley Jr.  We have enough offense and Bradley is no slouch at the plate. This lets Nimmo move to left.  All they'd need to do is get another good utility infielder.  Another starter, a #2 behind deGrom, and they're set. They don't even really need to do that since Noah will be back hopefully in June. Lugo could stay in rotation until Noah returns. deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Lugo, Peterson.  

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Lot of problems with this. LOL There will never be a DH permanently in NL. Maybe this year, I doubt it. They are returning to regular schedule this year.  If they go DH this year, then yeah ok hold Dom another year. Last years stats are meaningless to me across the board. They should have just canceled the season.  The shortened season  was a joke.  Alonso also needs to play at 1st every day.  It definitely screwed him up having to DH.  Its not happening again.  Love Dom. He's really established himself but there is no position for him. We could get back a haul for him.  Sandy will not start Dom in LF. He even said so when interviewed on facebook with Porter this week.  He clearly stated 'Dom is NOT a LF".  I can see Sandy waiting to see if he can get Springer, which is now doubtful since they acquired Lindor, or just getting a really good defensive CF like Bradley Jr.  We have enough offense and Bradley is no slouch at the plate. This lets Nimmo move to left.  All they'd need to do is get another good utility infielder.  Another starter, a #2 behind deGrom, and they're set. They don't even really need to do that since Noah will be back hopefully in June. Lugo could stay in rotation until Noah returns. deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Lugo, Peterson.  

Already said that Lugo is going to the pen.

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, section314 said:

I hope that the next thing they do is extend Conforto. Also, I really think that if the DH was here to stay, Springer would already have been signed.  Nimmo, Springer and Conforto. Dom DH.

I seriously think that they go Bradley, and then another arm for either the bullpen or rotation. Not a splash move, just a solid contributor.

I read that their number 1 priority now is "run reduction"--Meaning they are happy with the bats, now need to improve defense and arms.

Adding Bradley (or Springer) as you indicate moves Nimmo to LF and allows Dom to move to 1b. Smith is a better fielder than Alonso. I think they will somewhat split time there though, as Pete seemed to struggle mentally when he was not in the field.

Weird, but I never wanted the DH in the NL, but it would really benefit the Mets right now. MLB and the players need to get this decided.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I seriously think that they go Bradley, and then another arm for either the bullpen or rotation. Not a splash move, just a solid contributor.

I read that their number 1 priority now is "run reduction"--Meaning they are happy with the bats, now need to improve defense and arms.

Adding Bradley (or Springer) as you indicate moves Nimmo to LF and allows Dom to move to 1b. Smith is a better fielder than Alonso. I think they will somewhat split time there though, as Pete seemed to struggle mentally when he was not in the field.

Weird, but I never wanted the DH in the NL, but it would really benefit the Mets right now. MLB and the players need to get this decided.

With you on that one. We do have some options now, and run reduction is right up there. No Wacha, Porcello and hopefully very reduced role for Matz should help in that dept.😁 Still say #1 is take care of Conforto.

23 minutes ago, section314 said:

With you on that one. We do have some options now, and run reduction is right up there. No Wacha, Porcello and hopefully very reduced role for Matz should help in that dept.😁 Still say #1 is take care of Conforto.

MLB Network did a comparison on the defense difference of Lindor vs Rosario, and it was illuminating. Lindor plays so much deeper which gives him so much better angles, and he has the arm to allow that.

I never realized how shallow Rosario played and how that affected his range and eliminated opportunities for double plays.

Should really help the pitchers.

https://www.mlb.com/video/lindor-s-impact-on-the-mets?t=mlb-network

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

100% with you on this in both parts.  

But all that aside, is there a backup LF on the roster right now?  And that's assuming Nimmo is the starting LF.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

100% with you on this in both parts.  

But all that aside, is there a backup LF on the roster right now?  And that's assuming Nimmo is the starting LF.

You would think that Marisnick could back up all spots, and then Davis and Smith can play in a pinch. 

Again, I am projecting the Mets to sign some form of a CF.

• Upvote 2
On 1/10/2021 at 12:00 PM, Scott Dierking said:

You would think that Marisnick could back up all spots, and then Davis and Smith can play in a pinch. 

Again, I am projecting the Mets to sign some form of a CF.

I’m hoping your right

I’ve always like my CF to be an asset in the field even if it meant giving up a LITTLE at the plate. 

So how is everyone feeling now? Im Mets, Jets, Rangers so Ive been in the desert a long time. You cant win um all, but you can try and you can compete and Im personally thrilled with what I see from the Mets. They have made good solid moves and now act like they are in control, I think its called professionalism, I just dont remember because its been so long since Iv seen it out of one of my teams. You gotta believe in uncle Steve. #LGM   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
On 1/12/2021 at 4:17 PM, 32EBoozer said:

asset shake yo ass GIF by muhahalicia

You can give up a little O but not as much as the no nothing stat-dorks try to tell you.  I agree at C and SS but you need offense from the OF. A 5 WAR far outweighs a -5 DRS

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, section314 said:

This is neither here nor there, but was reading an article on the MLB site. Freddie Freeman is only 31. Doesn't it feel like he should be pushing 40? 😁

Yes. Guys been around forever 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, section314 said:

Just read an article on MLB.com where they had the best defensive prospects in MLB. Our #1 pick from last year, Pete Crow-Armstrong, was 2nd team CF. Have him rated our #5 prospect overall.

Reports are he is mlb ready in terms of defense already.

3 Met prospects named in mlb top 100 (Crwo-Armstrong is not). Hopefully Baty joins that list this year. Mets need to fill up the minors. 

• Like 1
On 1/10/2021 at 10:07 AM, section314 said:

FILED UNDER:

Mets trade for Joey Lucchesi

The Mets brought in starter who was solid with the Padres in 2018 and 2019.

By Chris McShane@chrismcshane  Jan 18, 2021, 6:57pm EST

San Diego Padres v Colorado RockiesPhoto by Matthew Stockman/Getty Images

The Mets have traded for 27-year-old left-handed pitcher Joey Lucchesi as part of a three-team deal that sent fellow starting pitcher Joey Musgrove to the Padres and several prospects to the Pirates. The Mets are giving up 20-year-old Endy Rodriguez, who ranked 23rd on our list of the team’s top prospects for 2021, in the deal.

In 59 major league appearances—all but one of which were starts—Lucchesi has a 4.21 ERA and 4.21 FIP over the course of 299.1 innings. He’s been worth 4.2 bWAR and 3.3 fWAR over that span. In 2020, he only made three appearances for San Diego with a 7.94 ERA and 3.01 FIP in just five-and-two-thirds innings. 

Lucchesi figures to be in the mix for a spot at the back of the Mets’ Opening Day rotation. Before the trade, the team had Jacob deGrom, Carlos Carrasco, and Marcus Stroman locked in to rotation spots with David Peterson a seemingly likely rotation member and Steven Matz having a shot at winning a spot.

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

FILED UNDER:

The Mets have traded for 27-year-old left-handed pitcher Joey Lucchesi as part of a three-team deal that sent fellow starting pitcher Joey Musgrove to the Padres and several prospects to the Pirates. The Mets are giving up 20-year-old Endy Rodriguez, who ranked 23rd on our list of the team’s top prospects for 2021, in the deal.

In 59 major league appearances—all but one of which were starts—Lucchesi has a 4.21 ERA and 4.21 FIP over the course of 299.1 innings. He’s been worth 4.2 bWAR and 3.3 fWAR over that span. In 2020, he only made three appearances for San Diego with a 7.94 ERA and 3.01 FIP in just five-and-two-thirds innings. 

Lucchesi figures to be in the mix for a spot at the back of the Mets’ Opening Day rotation. Before the trade, the team had Jacob deGrom, Carlos Carrasco, and Marcus Stroman locked in to rotation spots with David Peterson a seemingly likely rotation member and Steven Matz having a shot at winning a spot.

Anybody but Matz. Will take Gase over Matz.😁

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

What an idiot Porter is. Looks like Alderson will be GM rest of this year.

Absolutely correct. However, it may be my cynical years(30) on Wall Street, but it's amazing that these things suddenly pop up 5 years later, when Stevie Cohen, who obviously has made plenty of enemies over his years in business, buys the Mets. I wonder, since this happened when he was employed by the Cubs, if MLB is going to make Theo Epstein resign as a 'consultant? Or ask why ESPN sat on this story for 4 years? Am not defending Porter, just continually amazed at the hypocrisy of the way these things transpire.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, section314 said:

Cohen fired him stating "no tolerence." Let's see if anyone else, Cubs, MLB or ESPN step up. Wouldn't hold my breath.

So apparently a "Cubs staffer" knew about this:

She considered alerting the Cubs but said she was concerned about possible repercussions. That summer, she said, she had developed a serious sleeping problem and was wracked with anxiety about whether she had made the wrong decision in coming to the U.S. Eventually, the woman said, she told her bosses, who referred her to a lawyer and connected her with a Cubs employee from her home country.

The woman and the employee met during the 2016 postseason in Chicago. The woman did not want to identify the employee publicly because she feared retribution. The employee, she said, told her Porter wanted to apologize in person. She said she did not want to see him. The employee, she said, encouraged her to use the situation to her advantage. She said he pressed her numerous times on whether she planned to file a lawsuit against Porter.

In an interview on Monday, the employee confirmed he knows Porter and the woman and that he had discussed the situation with both. When asked by ESPN if he told the woman to use the situation to her advantage, the employee said: "I was just listening to both. I didn't want to ruin anything. I didn't want to be on one side."

15 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

FILED UNDER:

Who made this trade and who is this guy. Never heard of him. Obviously a stop gap until Noah returns and competition for Matz to step up.  Whatever happened to getting a #2 starter?  Carrasco would have been better as the #3.  Guess they are willing to risk and see if Noah can return to form in June/July.   

want

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So apparently a "Cubs staffer" knew about this:

She considered alerting the Cubs but said she was concerned about possible repercussions. That summer, she said, she had developed a serious sleeping problem and was wracked with anxiety about whether she had made the wrong decision in coming to the U.S. Eventually, the woman said, she told her bosses, who referred her to a lawyer and connected her with a Cubs employee from her home country.

The woman and the employee met during the 2016 postseason in Chicago. The woman did not want to identify the employee publicly because she feared retribution. The employee, she said, told her Porter wanted to apologize in person. She said she did not want to see him. The employee, she said, encouraged her to use the situation to her advantage. She said he pressed her numerous times on whether she planned to file a lawsuit against Porter.

In an interview on Monday, the employee confirmed he knows Porter and the woman and that he had discussed the situation with both. When asked by ESPN if he told the woman to use the situation to her advantage, the employee said: "I was just listening to both. I didn't want to ruin anything. I didn't want to be on one side."

Just the tip of the iceberg. ESPN and MLB are joined at the hip. Manfred basically did nothing with the sign stealing thing, he'd never say boo to ESPN for sitting on this. What about Epstein? Wonder who set up the meeting with the "alleged" victim and the Cubs? Ironically, the Mets come out of this looking like the heroes...they did the right thing. Side note. Would not want to be the one who tried to screw Stevie Cohen on this. You've seen what happens to people who've tried this with Bobby Axelrod.😎

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Who made this trade and who is this guy. Never heard of him. Obviously a stop gap until Noah returns and competition for Matz to step up.  Whatever happened to getting a #2 starter?  Carrasco would have been better as the #3.  Guess they are willing to risk and see if Noah can return to form in June/July.   

Believe the Mets consider Strohman a #2. Or Carasco. They are pretty similar.

Lucchesi was a former top 100 prospect and has varying degrees of success. His best pitch is a "churve" which generates a lot of swings and misses. I had him on may fantasy team a couple of years (I know, who cares), but it actually made me watch about half his starts. He can get through the line-up pretty decently, but 3rd time around he usually gets in trouble and gets pulled. he will go through bouts of having a couple of great starts in a row, then a few clunkers. Just inconsistent.

That said, for what the Mets gave up for him (their 14th ranked prospect), for a young pitcher with 4 years of control, it can be a very, very good trade. He will battle Matz for the 5th spot, has minor league options still available to him, as well may allow the Mets to trade Matz.

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, section314 said:

want

Just the tip of the iceberg. ESPN and MLB are joined at the hip. Manfred basically did nothing with the sign stealing thing, he'd never say boo to ESPN for sitting on this. What about Epstein? Wonder who set up the meeting with the "alleged" victim and the Cubs? Ironically, the Mets come out of this looking like the heroes...they did the right thing. Side note. Would not want to be the one who tried to screw Stevie Cohen on this. You've seen what happens to people who've tried this with Bobby Axelrod.😎

As I understand it, ESPN did not publish this earlier because the woman did not want it published. They finally came to agreement by not including her name. You can be sure, ESPN was salivating at getting this published, now that he is a GM. That said, he did it, and deserved firing.

My hope is that with the pandemic hopefully history at the end of this baseball season, the Mets can cast a wider net for the GM position. They were cut short by timing and the pandemic this offseason.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Lucchesi was a former top 100 prospect and has varying degrees of success. His best pitch is a "churve" which generates a lot of swings and misses. I had him on may fantasy team a couple of years (I know, who cares), but it actually made me watch about half his starts. He can get through the line-up pretty decently, but 3rd time around he usually gets in trouble and gets pulled. he will go through bouts of having a couple of great starts in a row, to a few clinkers. Just inconsistent.

That said, for what the Mets gave up for him (their 14th ranked prospect), for a young pitcher with 4 years of control, it can be a very, very good trade. He will battle Matz for the 5th spot, has minor league options still available to him, as well may allow the Mets to trade Matz.

Thanks for the insight.  Not to thrilled with Carrasco or Stroman as the #2.  Of course, its all temp until Noah comes back.  Don't even like this trade.  Feels like a Wilpon era type trade.  We need to bolster the bullpen.  Hand is essential. Our rotation will be so much better when Noah returns.  We have to have a premier #2 behind deGrom to be serious contenders.    

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Lucchesi was a former top 100 prospect and has varying degrees of success. His best pitch is a "churve" which generates a lot of swings and misses. I had him on may fantasy team a couple of years (I know, who cares), but it actually made me watch about half his starts. He can get through the line-up pretty decently, but 3rd time around he usually gets in trouble and gets pulled. he will go through bouts of having a couple of great starts in a row, then a few clunkers. Just inconsistent.

Just the thought of this brings pictures of Snoopy dancing uninhibited to the Peanuts Christmas song to mind.

• Haha 1
Just now, Wonderboy said:

Thanks for the insight.  Not to thrilled with Carrasco or Stroman as the #2.  Of course, its all temp until Noah comes back.  Don't even like this trade.  Feels like a Wilpon era type trade.  We need to bolster the bullpen.  Hand is essential. Our rotation will be so much better when Noah returns.  We have to have a premier #2 behind deGrom to be serious contenders.    

The trade is a good one because it gives an alternative to Matz. Matz salary is $5.2m but is not guaranteed. That makes him valuable as a trade asset also, and gives the Mets flexibility to add more payroll if they so choose. 

As well, the mets need young arms. deGrom is getting older, Syndergaard is not a given Carasco is getting older and Strohman is a FA after the year. The upper level of the Mets system is not stocked with quality arms. Lucchesi may be an important chip. It costs them next to nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The trade is a good one because it gives an alternative to Matz. Matz salary is $5.2m but is not guaranteed. That makes him valuable as a trade asset also, and gives the Mets flexibility to add more payroll if they so choose. 

As well, the mets need young arms. deGrom is getting older, Syndergaard is not a given Carasco is getting older and Strohman is a FA after the year. The upper level of the Mets system is not stocked with quality arms. Lucchesi may be an important chip. It costs them next to nothing. 

Sounds like the one kid, Allen, is almost an untouchable. You're right though, for the first time in a long time, our best players are position players. Maybe really makes Bauer the priority and not Springer?

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

Sounds like the one kid, Allen, is almost an untouchable. You're right though, for the first time in a long time, our best players are position players. Maybe really makes Bauer the priority and not Springer?

I don't believe the Mets are not going to add any more starting pitching now. Maybe I am wrong.

Maybe the Lucchesi move allows them to move Matz, and then sign Springer. But I doubt that too, and it is probably Bradley Jr in CF. Unless Springer gives them a discount. Then they need another lefty in the pen.

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I don't believe the Mets are not going to add any more starting pitching now. Maybe I am wrong.

Maybe the Lucchesi move allows them to move Matz, and then sign Springer. But I doubt that too, and it is probably Bradley Jr in CF. Unless Springer gives them a discount. Then they need another lefty in the pen.

Guy is a good player. Did the Mets resign Wilson?