2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Smith playing left with Nimmo playing center - Sandy said so ....so. Nimmo will be in left. Sandy will get a CF. If no DH, what do you do with Dom? Such a waste to leave him on bench. Alfonso needs to play every day. He was miserable last year platooning with Smith as DH. Not a good idea to do  no t JD at again. Just leave Polar Bear ?❄️  at first. 

Or, they could trade Nimmo. So many moving pieces to the puzzle.

There could still be a DH in the NL, too.

True. That is an option. But still, the issue remains - no DH leaves Dom in limbo. He is NOT playing LF. 

I will worry about the DH situation when it is a final decision.

It is in the player's best decision to have it, they just don't want it tied to expanded playoffs, which the owners proposed. You can be sure they are negotiating.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will worry about the DH situation when it is a final decision.

It is in the player's best decision to have it, they just don't want it tied to expanded playoffs, which the owners proposed. You can be sure they are negotiating.

Hate the DH. Hate hate hate. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Or, they could trade Nimmo. So many moving pieces to the puzzle.

There could still be a DH in the NL, too.

I think this is what happens. Supposedly he has many fans around front offices in MLB. I have a couple of friends who are scouts, and one of them told me that Seattle wanted Nimmo in the Diaz trade, Mets said no, and put Kelenic in his place.

51 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think this is what happens. Supposedly he has many fans around front offices in MLB. I have a couple of friends who are scouts, and one of them told me that Seattle wanted Nimmo in the Diaz trade, Mets said no, and put Kelenic in his place.

Ughhh, why did you have to tell me that?

Watching Nimmo at bats are a thing of joy though.

So if he's traded who plays left and why would they trade him? He's highly valued here. He's just coming into his own. 

Given a choice of Nimmo or Smith in left, I would have to choose Smith. Better offense, better power at a position that is least important defensively (particularly if we have a roamer in CF which in this case we would).

Also, 2 extra years of control over Smith than Nimmo. 

Hope it doesn't come to that.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Given a choice of Nimmo or Smith in left, I would have to choose Smith. Better offense, better power at a position that is least important defensively (particularly if we have a roamer in CF which in this case we would).

Also, 2 extra years of control over Smith than Nimmo. 

Hope it doesn't come to that.

Not even a question. Dom is an infielder who has learned to play OF, and is adequate. Nimmo is a career outfielder who is a liability out there. Not big on analytics, but they had him as like -5 or something , meaning he costs the Mets runs over the course of a year. And as a hitter, Nimmo can't hold Dom's bat.

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Not even a question. Dom is an infielder who has learned to play OF, and is adequate. Nimmo is a career outfielder who is a liability out there. Not big on analytics, but they had him as like -5 or something , meaning he costs the Mets runs over the course of a year. And as a hitter, Nimmo can't hold Dom's bat.

I believe OBP favors Nimmo along with base running. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I believe OBP favors Nimmo along with base running. 

Yes, OBP favors Nimmo .404 vs .377.

But where the real money is made is OPS where Smith has an obscene .993 vs .888.

Plus, as mentioned earlier, Smith has 2 more years of control over Nimmo. I hope it doesn't come down to all that.

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2021 at 9:07 AM, section314 said:

NUTS ? Dom can’t even catch a fly ball LOL ? Sandy will have no part of this. And Nimmo is going nowhere. He is a catalyst at the top of the lineup and is better suited to LF. Sandy stresses defense. They will sign a defensive CF and platoon Smith and Alonso on 1st and DH. CF is the only position in the wings right now besides the pitching staff. Sandy will get a utility IF that can relieve Davis at 3rd in late innings. They need his bat. Davis just makes the Mets so much more dangerous offensively. 

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

NUTS ? Dom can’t even catch a fly ball LOL ? Sandy will have no part of this. And Nimmo is going nowhere. He is a catalyst at the top of the lineup and is better suited to LF. Sandy stresses defense. They will sign a defensive CF and platoon Smith and Alonso on 1st and DH. CF is the only position in the wings right now besides the pitching staff. Sandy will get a utility IF that can relieve Davis at 3rd in late innings. They need his bat. Davis just makes the Mets so much more dangerous offensively. 

Well, if there is a DH, this is not even a thing. Yes, then Nimmo goes to left and Alonso and Smith alternate as you have said. If there is a DH, the Mets will get someone else for CF.

The discussion has been focused on if there is NOT a DH.

And, the mlb presented a new proposal Friday.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well, if there is a DH, this is not even a thing. Yes, then Nimmo goes to left and Alonso and Smith alternate as you have said. If there is a DH, the Mets will get someone else for CF.

The discussion has been focused on if there is NOT a DH.

And, the mlb presented a new proposal Friday.

I don’t care if there’s a DH or not. Smith will NOT be playing LF - PERIOD 

43 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I don’t care if there’s a DH or not. Smith will NOT be playing LF - PERIOD 

Sandy, in his own words, does not necessarily agree. 

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2021/01/alderson-doms-not-going-anywhere.html/

“Look it’s not ideal, I get that, but we will just have to wait and see what happens with the DH…We like his offense obviously…Dom’s going to be on the team, hopefully he doesn’t have to play left field, but if he does, he does.”

40 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sandy, in his own words, does not necessarily agree. 

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2021/01/alderson-doms-not-going-anywhere.html/

“Look it’s not ideal, I get that, but we will just have to wait and see what happens with the DH…We like his offense obviously…Dom’s going to be on the team, hopefully he doesn’t have to play left field, but if he does, he does.”

LOL they’ll be a DH so this is all moot. I hope they don’t stick Alonso on the bench like last year. It ruined him. He need to play the field despite Dom being a better fielder. They are going to ruin Alonso if Dom plays first.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Wonderboy, I would be curious on your value of positional defense from 1-8. Which positions do you think carry the most value, in order? 

SS, CF, C, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, RF, LF. But I’m not putting a guy that can’t catch a fly ball in LF. Jesus. 

5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

SS, CF, C, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, RF, LF. But I’m not putting a guy that can’t catch a fly ball in LF. Jesus. 

You know who else does not track a ball well? Brandon Nimmo. And this exercise is an exercise of which would you rather have in LF assuming:

-There is no DH

-The Mets acquire a CF

That boils this down to a Smith vs Nimmo debate of whom you have in LF. It really is a no brainer based on what offensive output you get from Dom. Add to that, he has 2 extra years of club control.

The only thing that Dom does not do well is go back on the ball. He comes in fine. His range is lacking, but with a true CF now, that is mitigated. His arm is fine. He made zero errors in LF last year. 

It really is not close.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You know who else does not track a ball well? Brandon Nimmo. And this exercise is an exercise of which would you rather have in LF assuming:

-There is no DH

-The Mets acquire a CF

That boils this down to a Smith vs Nimmo debate of whom you have in LF. It really is a no brainer based on what offensive output you get from Dom. Add to that, he has 2 extra years of club control.

The only thing that Dom does not do well is go back on the ball. He comes in fine. His range is lacking, but with a true CF now, that is mitigated. His arm is fine. He made zero errors in LF last year. 

It really is not close.

His range sucks. It’s a joke to try and stick him out in LF. Offensively, Nimmo is a must. He’s a catalyst and just coming into his own. I hate sticking players into positions that they have absolutely no place being in. It’s never going to happen, DH or no DH. Sooner or later, either Dom or Alonso will be traded. 

21 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

His range sucks. It’s a joke to try and stick him out in LF. Offensively, Nimmo is a must. He’s a catalyst and just coming into his own. I hate sticking players into positions that they have absolutely no place being in. It’s never going to happen, DH or no DH. Sooner or later, either Dom or Alonso will be traded. 

Well, Alderson said otherwise.  

And Nimmo can't hit vs left handers.

On 1/29/2021 at 10:31 AM, section314 said:

Brought that up that I heard that also, part of me wishes they would’ve, just because I am a huge CF fan and I don’t feel Nimmo is a CF

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Brought that up that I heard that also, part of me wishes they would’ve, just because I am a huge CF fan and I don’t feel Nimmo is a CF

The move that HAS to be made is Nimmo out of CF. They can't live with that any more. 

Hopefully the DH happens this year and that makes things a lot easier.

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The move that HAS to be made is Nimmo out of CF. They can't live with that any more. 

Hopefully the DH happens this year and that makes things a lot easier.

Don’t want the DH as a fan of the NL but can’t deny that a DH would help the Mets team building immensely based on the talent they have on the roster 

• Upvote 2

Yamamoto comes over in a trade for a song. Past week has seen the Mets add organizational pitch depth at the top part of their minors which was a huge need.

Because of the shortened season last year, teams are going to need to be 8-9 deep on available starting pitching. Won't see many pitchers go 180-190 innings this year, due to innings limits.  Will be a strange year.

1 hour ago, adb280z said:

They never have been.  We'll see if you're right.  Is JD Davis still starting at 3b?

You had to go there. LOL Yes for now.  He's not terrible at 3rd. He made some really nice plays there last year, has a strong arm. We need his bat and have to put him somewhere.  If he goes to left, then Nimmo goes to center and that just compromises the defense further.  From my understanding, Nimmo is not playing CF and Dom is not playing LF.  Seems like they will go with Davis at 3rd this year and bring in defensive sub in late innings.

49 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You had to go there. LOL Yes for now.  He's not terrible at 3rd. He made some really nice plays there last year, has a strong arm. We need his bat and have to put him somewhere.  If he goes to left, then Nimmo goes to center and that just compromises the defense further.  From my understanding, Nimmo is not playing CF and Dom is not playing LF.  Seems like they will go with Davis at 3rd this year and bring in defensive sub in late innings.

Your Bias is showing.

Dom Smith at LF 2020: RDRS/y = -12

J D Davis at 3B 2020: RDRS/y= -36

RDRS/y =Defensive Runs save compared to average per 1200 innings.

So in reality, Davis costs the Mets 3 times as many runs as Smith. Yet, "he made some really nice plays there", per you.

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Your Bias is showing.

Dom Smith at LF 2020: RDRS/y = -12

J D Davis at 3B 2020: RDRS/y= -36

RDRS/y =Defensive Runs save compared to average per 1200 innings.

So in reality, Davis costs the Mets 3 times as many runs as Smith. Yet, "he made some really nice plays there", per you.

Davis is a better 3rd baseman than Dom is a LF and its not even close. In fact, Davis may end up in LF with Nimmo being traded.  That's another option.  Sandy has options but playing Dom in LF will not be one of them.  When I see it, I'll believe it. 

5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Davis is a better 3rd baseman than Dom is a LF and its not even close. In fact, Davis may end up in LF with Nimmo being traded.  That's another option.  Sandy has options but playing Dom in LF will not be one of them.  When I see it, I'll believe it. 

Wow. I supply analytic stats, you supply opinion. Amazing. Sorry, the numbers prove you wrong. No matter how vociferously you voice them.

JD Davis in left? Well, his RDRS/Y there for his career?  -21. So no, JD Davis is not a better LF than Dom Smith. Regardless what your eye test tells you.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Wow. I supply analytic stats, you supply opinion. Amazing. Sorry, the numbers prove you wrong. No matter how vociferously you voice them.

JD Davis in left? Well, his RDRS/Y there for his career?  -21. So no, JD Davis is not a better LF than Dom Smith. Regardless what your eye test tells you.

Dude give it a rest