2021 New York Mets Thread

Scott Dierking

The Mets have received outfield prospect Khalil Lee from the Royals in a three-team trade that will send Andrew Benintendi to Kansas City. The Mets are sending right-handed pitcher Josh Winckowski—who they recently got as part of the Steven Matz trade—to the Red Sox and giving up a player to be named later in the deal.

As far as the big prospect lists go, Lee appeared on just one, coming in at number 61 on the Baseball Prospectus top 101 ahead of the 2019 season. Because of the pandemic, the 22-year-old outfielder’s most recent game experience came that year, which he spent in Double-A. In 546 plate appearances for the Royals’ affiliate, he hit .264/.363/.372 with eight home runs and 53 stolen bases. And Jarrett Seidler of Baseball Prospectus notes that there were reports of a positive swing change that came out of the Royals’ alternate site in 2020.

In the field, Lee has spent most of his minor league career in center field, though he’s played a good amount of right field, too, with much less playing time in left field.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Just saw the trade. Don’t know what to make of this. Anyone have some insight on Lee? Sandy sure has been busy. I wonder if he’s setting up for another big trade? Getting all the pieces together. 

I know nothing about any of these guys, I have nothing to add lol, except that I wonder if this is a middle move in before a bigger move with Matz trade being the first domino to fall

21 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

I know nothing about any of these guys, I have nothing to add lol, except that I wonder if this is a middle move in before a bigger move with Matz trade being the first domino to fall

I hope so. The roster has a bunch of guys in flux with no ideal position to play  and without the DH are kind of wasted on the bench

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

More organizational depth at the top levels of the minor leagues, which were barren before this offseason. Sandy has added some pieces there, which are important. Intriguing power/speed guy.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Just saw the trade. Don’t know what to make of this. Anyone have some insight on Lee? Sandy sure has been busy. I wonder if he’s setting up for another big trade? Getting all the pieces together. 

Lee was #8 prospect in Royals system according to MLB. I think the pitcher we gave up was in the Matz trade.

I've been a Mets fan since the beginning in 1962 and I have to say that I don't have a lot of hope for the team in the next couple of years.

I think their pitching is somewhat overrated. Yes, deGrom is one of the best in the game, but the rest of the rotation is not that great. Carrasco is ok, Stroman is JAG, IMHO, and Peterson is too young to know what he will be. Thor will probably not be that great, it usually takes some time after TJ to regain effectiveness. And I am still not sold on the bullpen, especially Diaz.

The defense is improved, but not as much as we think. McCann is a quantum improvement, yes, and McNeil is better than Cano. But the the improvement with Lindor just isn't that much on defense over Gimenez, and there is still a gigantic hole in CF (obviously, I am not a big Nimmo fan).

And now we have Bottomshopper Alderson back in control.  Just a question, if we are so concerned with the luxury tax limit now, what is it going to be like next year, when Cano comes back on the books, and Lindor, Conforto and Thor all need to be re-signed. I will bet that they let 2 of those 3 walk. I will be shocked if they re-sign Lindor and Conforto.

Lets face facts. They are not as good as the Braves or the Nats. And they won't get the WC over the Padres.

50 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He might be more of the replacement for Conforto, if the Mets can not come to agreement with him (Boras). The arm best projects for Right Field. 

Good take.... I hadn't thought of that. It will help with contract negotiations with Boras. At least it will appear we have a replacement in the system. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Seems to me that Nimmo’s days are numbered here.

It all depends on how Conforto contract plays out. I hope we sign him to a long term deal but with Boras, you never know.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, NorthCoastJetsFan said:

I've been a Mets fan since the beginning in 1962 and I have to say that I don't have a lot of hope for the team in the next couple of years.

I think their pitching is somewhat overrated. Yes, deGrom is one of the best in the game, but the rest of the rotation is not that great. Carrasco is ok, Stroman is JAG, IMHO, and Peterson is too young to know what he will be. Thor will probably not be that great, it usually takes some time after TJ to regain effectiveness. And I am still not sold on the bullpen, especially Diaz.

The defense is improved, but not as much as we think. McCann is a quantum improvement, yes, and McNeil is better than Cano. But the the improvement with Lindor just isn't that much on defense over Gimenez, and there is still a gigantic hole in CF (obviously, I am not a big Nimmo fan).

And now we have Bottomshopper Alderson back in control.  Just a question, if we are so concerned with the luxury tax limit now, what is it going to be like next year, when Cano comes back on the books, and Lindor, Conforto and Thor all need to be re-signed. I will bet that they let 2 of those 3 walk. I will be shocked if they re-sign Lindor and Conforto.

Lets face facts. They are not as good as the Braves or the Nats. And they won't get the WC over the Padres.

Cano will never play another game for the Mets.

18 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Better get Wilson on the phone ASAP.

One guy who may get the shot to fill Lugo's role is Sam McWilliams. They won a bidding war for this guy in November with like 12 other teams. Think they paid him $750,000, which is a crazy number because this guy has never thrown a pitch in the majors. He's 25, and was in the Tampa system. They basically taught this guy to throw a 4 seam fastball, and he was lights out the second half of the year.Throws in the high 90's. The Rays have some sort of, for any better way to put it, "reclamation" program for guys who have high variables, but have not been able to put it all together. He is one of them. They are so far ahead of other teams in areas like this that it's not even funny. They have so much young talent in their system, they couldn't protect him. It's one reason why they traded Blake Snell, they are just loaded.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

One guy who may get the shot to fill Lugo's role is Sam McWilliams. They won a bidding war for this guy in November with like 12 other teams. Think they paid him $750,000, which is a crazy number because this guy has never thrown a pitch in the majors. He's 25, and was in the Tampa system. They basically taught this guy to throw a 4 seam fastball, and he was lights out the second half of the year.Throws in the high 90's. The Rays have some sort of, for any better way to put it, "reclamation" program for guys who have high variables, but have not been able to put it all together. He is one of them. They are so far ahead of other teams in areas like this that it's not even funny. They have so much young talent in their system, they couldn't protect him. It's one reason why they traded Blake Snell, they are just loaded.

It’s hard not to respect Tampa as a very well run organization, probably one of the best in sports, but (this is not hindsight) how do they pull Snell in that game 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Jet said:

It’s hard not to respect Tampa as a very well run organization, probably one of the best in sports, but (this is not hindsight) how do they pull Snell in that game 

Agreed. That’s the rock and the hard place you put yourself in when you are so analytical in your thinking. It almost takes the “eye test “ out of managing.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Agreement with Tajaun Walker. Good back end option for the starting staff.

Agreed. Gonna need lots of innings from lots of guys this year. Still think that they are working on something big on the trade front. Guess would be 3rd base. Think Pillar signing means that Dom or Nimmo have to be part of this.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agreed. Gonna need lots of innings from lots of guys this year. Still think that they are working on something big on the trade front. Guess would be 3rd base. Think Pillar signing means that Dom or Nimmo have to be part of this.

Unless they trade a SP in that package, I believe they are set in the rotation. 8 guys that can start:

deGrom

Carrasco

Strohman

Walker

Peterson

Lucchesi

Yamamoto

Syndergaard

Plus whatever they could need from Szapucki if needed.

Third base remains a concern , with CF defense also. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LockeJET said:

The Mets will still be paying Bobby Bonilla when Tatis’s 14 year deal ends. 

Brett Saberahagen also has a deferred payment with the Mets (but for less money). Actually, there are a lot of deferred deals that teams are paying off just the Bonilla deal gets most scrutiny.

If Tatis misses on year on his deal, that one year will cost more than all of Bonilla's deferrals in total. Good to be a baseball player.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

If Tatis misses on year on his deal, that one year will cost more than all of Bonilla's deferrals in total. Good to be a baseball player.

Technically not true. Bonilla deferred almost 30 mil. 25 years at 1.19 mil per. Includes 8% interest rate. Tatis is making less than 25 per.