2 huge moves that have made Douglas a great GM

Rhg1084

Pure homerism.

Becton is already good but he’s nowhere close to being an all-pro. Mims looks ok but lots of rookie receivers are tearing it up. Mann is perhaps an average punter. None of them have helped move the needle as far as wins and losses.

And every single one of his free agent moves have busted.

It’s laughable to label Joe Douglas as a “great GM”. Dude put together what looks to be the worst football team in NFL history. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

54 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Not many smart people had Wirfs before Becton but ok....

Sure they did. As a matter of fact Wirfs was widely considered the safer pick. I was convinced we would take Wirfs there for that reason. Macc would always have chosen wirfs over Becton if given that same choice. 

becton was a ballsy move

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I think the "Becton was the obvious pick" stuff is way overblown. Clearly two other guys went ahead of him, and many preferred Wirfs. It was a great pick that deserves credit.

That said, the rest of the draft has a lot to prove. Def gets an incomplete rating due to injuries and what have you but right now the Davis pick is the one I'm most unhappy with.

The best thing about Douglas has been his ability to trade -- getting great comp for Adams, good comp for Williams, moving down to acquire picks, etc. I think his big picture strategy is very good. Just needs to hit on these picks.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Pure homerism.

Becton is already good but he’s nowhere close to being an all-pro. Mims looks ok but lots of rookie receivers are tearing it up. Mann is perhaps an average punter. None of them have helped move the needle as far as wins and losses.

And every single one of his free agent moves have busted.

It’s laughable to label Joe Douglas as a “great GM”. Dude put together what looks to be the worst football team in NFL history. 

Well... someone is moving the needle for all these losses!

15 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure they did. As a matter of fact Wirfs was widely considered the safer pick. I was convinced we would take Wirfs there for that reason. Macc would always have chosen wirfs over Becton if given that same choice. 

becton was a ballsy move

Bechton was always the pick

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Sure he’s had some missteps along the way. Not resigning Robby, drafting a QB in round 4. 

However these 2 moves alone have cemented him a great GM.

1) Drafting Mekhi Becton. This guy is an All Pro LT for next 12 years.

2) Trading Jamal for two 1s and a 3. What an absolute haul. Not to mention saving the $16m in cap space we’d have to use on him. Jamal having a lot of problems in Seattle 

Douglas is the best GM this team has had in awhile. He will make us a contender soon. 

Looks nice but Becton is the easy pick and he wanted to extend Adams up until he started crapping on the whole organization. Luck has been playing a nice role so far. 

Im cautiously optimistic. I do think he’s someone who will get better as time goes on with more experience to learn from. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah, because this GM values upside.  @GREENBEAN is 100% right.  Maccagnan takes Wirfs.

I remember on the draft night live stream I was convinced the Jets were going to play it safe. I'm just so used to that thinking. And no one would have blamed him for doing so.

I was blown away when he had the guts to take Becton. I also love the moving and shaking in the 2nd and still grabbing Mims.   That move gave him the breathing room to take those extra swings at guys like Morgan and Perine.  I still don't like the Morgan pick but JD made the moves to grab the extra pick to do that. I don't think Morgan is on this team if JD stuck with his original number of picks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Can't be a 'great' GM unless the players turn out to be good. 

I'm still haunted by the 2014 draft. Remember that? Most loaded draft class of the decade...and every single one of the Jets' picks was a bust. 

That has zero correlation but i understand your fears. We are all damaged goods.

i know, i'm not really caring about this. Wirfs didn't accidentally wind up getting drafted after all 3 of the other OTs... These same jackals had Hakeem Butler as top 3 WR last year. They're not NFL scouts.
Back to the whiffs in rounds 3 and 4. That's where JD scorecard is taking hits. 

one upvote for use of “jackals”
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

our roster is terrible Joe D is in charge of our roster

his draft is still open but he wasted picks-he hit on our first rounder-my 5 year old nephew could have done that

his free agents have been terrible-his jet extensions terrible too(griffin has about as many catches as me)

He better nail the draft next year or he is going to be like those before him 

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Sure he’s had some missteps along the way. Not resigning Robby, drafting a QB in round 4. 

However these 2 moves alone have cemented him a great GM.

1) Drafting Mekhi Becton. This guy is an All Pro LT for next 12 years.

2) Trading Jamal for two 1s and a 3. What an absolute haul. Not to mention saving the $16m in cap space we’d have to use on him. Jamal having a lot of problems in Seattle 

Douglas is the best GM this team has had in awhile. He will make us a contender soon. 

I think Douglas is the best gm the jets have ever had but let’s not put him in canton just yet. True enough about drafting Becton and trading Adams but both of those were pretty much no brained type deals. What will be more important will be how the rest of the draft(s) turn.  Right now he got 4 players that look to be solid. If Clark, Zuniga, hall, and Davis show something then the guy is an utter genius.

The sad thing is Maccagnan could’ve done just half as well without too much effort and he failed.

You can't judge a draft half way thru the first year.  You just have to wait to see how the mid-round guys develop.  Quinnen Williams improved play this year is testament to that fact.  The calls to trade him from the fans are dying down.

Becton vs. Wirfs?  JD chose the higher risk, higher reward player and it seems he chose well.  Again, still early.  But it seems like he made a good choice.

He has rid the Jets of a lot of vet players.  Doing so forces the development of his picks.  Coaches prefer experience over talent.  They are always in win now mode, don't care so much about next year.  Especially since they are likely to be somewhere else in 2021.

JD has developed draft capital.  That is what a rebuilding GM is supposed to do.  Doesn't say he will pick well, but it is a necessary step in the process.

His FA decisions were poor in terms of 2020 productivity.  He did leave himself plenty of room to maneuver for 2022.  Again, that what a rebuilding GM is supposed to do.  If he is really a Machiavellian SOB, he missed on purpose to ensure another top of the class draft pick for 2022.

As a for instance, Schneider of the Seahawks seems to have made a very poor choice with JA.  But when you look at the success the Hawks have had, he is a top GM.  So mistakes are going to happen.  And the JA trade hasn't had enough time to be judged.

So we don't know whether JD can lead us out of this mess.  But the early tea leaves are more positive than negative and thank the Lord for that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Mims is a solid WR, who will be a starter. When was the last time the Jets drafted a starter in round 2? Perine looks like he can be a contributor as well. Mann is a stud. That’s a lot from one draft class, especially when you consider the Jets history with the draft. Becton being an All Pro alone is enough to grade this draft as an A+

Mims hasn't done anything to speak of.  Perine looks pedestrian.  And Mann is averaging 45.3 yards per punt (39.1 yds net) which is good for a whopping 20th in the league.  Ashtyn Davis was a blown pick.  Jabari Zuniga's done nothing in the handful of snaps he's gotten.  James Morgan?  Why?  Not even third string as far as I know.  Cameron Clark has not seen a snap.  Bryce Hall has done nothing.  Honestly they did better in picking up UDFA's than the draft.  Becton is the only real "win" so far and he was drafted in a slot where it was 50/50 between him and Wirfs.  This roster is the worst the league has seen in possibly...ever.  So to be fair to our GM, he gets an "incomplete" until I see what he can do with 2021 picks and lots of cap space.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

It was a cynical take on pick-hoarding. 

Drafts often inspire irrational optimism. 

I can attest to that. lol 

I can also say that Drafts cause an intense pang of disappointment as well. Expecially when our GM's have traditionally taken huge head scratchers again and again 

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

For what it's worth I have a source who said Becton was the pick if he was there a month before the draft happened. He also didn't really fall into our lap since we had the choice of 2 of the LTs and Douglas made the correct pick of the two.

And meanwhile, Maccagnan (and several other GM's) would have taken Jeudy over either OT.  100 %.

It wasn't an obvious slam dunk pick to take Becton there.  Arguing otherwise is pure revisionist history.  To those who suggest otherwise, I ask this:  Why did 2 other teams in the same draft select different LT's if Becton was so "obvious"?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I do not have an issue with Davis to a big extent, Zuniga, not as much ther though we could have gotten better players.

My big issue is the 4th round, morgan was a stupid pick imo.

Even the mims pick looks good but we could have had chase claypool if he did not trade down.

I think when all is said and done the draft overall will be a good one but could have been better.

Mims >>> Claypool and it won't be all that close.  Claypool is a WR2 or complimentary type, who will pair nicely with WR1 Diontae Johnson in Pittsburgh.  Mims is a bonafide WR1.  Big difference.

The Steelers do a great job of making their WRs look great with their system and QB.  That does not make Claypool the better prospect or player.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

So 5 straight awful drafts by Mike Maccagnan, the worst GM in NFL history, has nothing to do with the 2020 roster.  It's all on JD.

Got it.

And meanwhile, shooting for the # 1 pick is better than shooting for 5-11.  Once Adams was traded and Mosley opted out, and then injuries started piling up....what direction would you have preferred?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Joe Douglas is the GM of a team with 0 wins.  You can't be great when your team, which you have been GM of for two years, has 0 wins.  He'll be a great GM when and if the Jets are ever great under his leadership.  

He hasn't proven to be a great GM yet, but he also hasn't been the GM for two years. He got here in June of 2019. That's only one offseason and considerably less than two years. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Lol if you can get 2 starters from one draft that’s a success. 

That is such a laughable statement. If you get 2 starters from a draft then it would take you 11 years to field just starters. You're certainly not going to be successful filling in the rest of the team with FAs so where are the rest of the players coming from? 

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I feel that you can not judge the pick for Morgan in the 4th round, until you get him on the field and see his level of play. 

Yea, people are still judging Hackenberg even though he never got on the field. Utterly ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, addage said:

You can't judge a draft half way thru the first year.  You just have to wait to see how the mid-round guys develop.  Quinnen Williams improved play this year is testament to that fact.  The calls to trade him from the fans are dying down.

Well we are past the trade deadline, so....