2 huge moves that have made Douglas a great GM

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Question for you guys..what year do we stop blaming maccagnan? Serious question by the way 

People won't answer because you're, you. They also don't want to admit reality that it's next season. Two teams in this very division had tear down years...they went 6-10 and 5-11 in their tear down years. The very next season the Bills were in the playoffs and Miami is having a winning season and looks to be headed to the playoffs. 

People are going to say that the Jets will have a new coach so the playoffs aren't reasonable, but the Jets are the ones who've screwed up their timeline by hiring and not firing Gase. The new coach, right or wrong, is going to face expectations. At the bare minimum, they have to compete for the playoffs or it going to be time to hold Joe D accountable. Then you're going to have a HC with an embattled GM. 

At some point, the Jets have to get these things lined up or overcome it because while it doesn't make it impossible to succeed, it makes it more difficult. There's no 'moral' victories next season. Ideally, a new coach would have been in place getting his moral victories this year.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mims >>> Claypool and it won't be all that close.  Claypool is a WR2 or complimentary type, who will pair nicely with WR1 Diontae Johnson in Pittsburgh.  Mims is a bonafide WR1.  Big difference.

The Steelers do a great job of making their WRs look great with their system and QB.  That does not make Claypool the better prospect or player.

Mims has barely played so this seems overmuch ...   sorta disregarding claypool seems a bit odd to me.

fwiw, I hope ALL your optimism about Mims is proven out in time...  I harbor high hopes for him...

• Upvote 1

Douglas has had one draft and not a perfect one.

Make no mistake at all that the state of the team right now is at the feet of one man.  Chris Johnson.

He hired the worst och in pro football.

He inexplicably did not fire macaganan when he fired the previous coach and let him have one last disgraceful off season.

Right now, as it stands with most of Douglas's draft being hurt all the time?  He is John Idzik, a man with a sound plan but the jury is out in his drafting skills.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

2 moves doesn’t make anything.

Why am I eerily hearing my Mom's voice echoing in my head? Oh, I know! "Two wrongs don't make a right!" "Uh, OK . . . ?" Ha, it has nothing to do with what you said, it was just somehow remindful. There's always dominos to be tipped in this kooky brain of mine. The best one was, "Don't get smart!" (Me, a kid, totally bewildered): "Why not?" My parents never, ever, laid a hand on me, but man, was my Mom ever a hair puller, lol. It's how my Daddy always knew that I somehow sassed her. ==> My pigtails were are alllllllll kinds of fckd up. What was this about again?

3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

if Morgan can be the new Pat Ryan, it's a home run...  a DECENT CALIBER b/u is a valuable thing to have...   if you have a legit starter,,.. whcih we are still searching for...

Different age of football. In those days, the Jets could hold Ryan hostage, because he had no options.

Now, you have to keep rotating in youngsters and really old vets,

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Sure he’s had some missteps along the way. Not resigning Robby, drafting a QB in round 4. 

However these 2 moves alone have cemented him a great GM.

1) Drafting Mekhi Becton. This guy is an All Pro LT for next 12 years.

2) Trading Jamal for two 1s and a 3. What an absolute haul. Not to mention saving the $16m in cap space we’d have to use on him. Jamal having a lot of problems in Seattle 

Douglas is the best GM this team has had in awhile. He will make us a contender soon. 

I'm optimistic.  Those were both stellar moves to this point.  Made what looks to be a great pick at LT and got supreme value for a disgruntled player.

With that said, we're worse now than we were last year.  Joe deserves time but his FA looks worse than average so far.  I expected the OL and WR groups to be better than they are this year even though I know this isn't a one-year rebuild.

We can evaluate him as he goes but let's see the plan play out.

15 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

if Morgan can be the new Pat Ryan, it's a home run...  a DECENT CALIBER b/u is a valuable thing to have...   if you have a legit starter,,.. whcih we are still searching for...

Some folks here seem to not recall that Joe Douglas was in PHI when their backup ran the table and won them a Super Bowl.  I think its fair to defer to him on the value of a good NFL backup.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Question for you guys..what year do we stop blaming maccagnan? Serious question by the way 

The effects of Macc’s incompetence will last for at least 3 years. This roster was bare. I’ll start judging JD more critically after two more offseasons. For now, I’ll judge him on the process. So far, I think he’s going about things the right way. 

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Look at his cap management and drafts lmao you’re seriously gonna try to act like MM has nothing to do with the current state of the Jets?    

31 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Some folks here seem to not recall that Joe Douglas was in PHI when their backup ran the table and won them a Super Bowl.  I think its fair to defer to him on the value of a good NFL backup.  

i hadn't remembered that when i was posting. 

but, yeah, hostetler/foles  got 'er done

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Take a seat, tony. 

If your GM can't consistently hit on rounds 1-2, then he's not very good at his fcking job. 

The possibility to bust exists from the 1st pick, to the last.... but the propensity increases significantly per round. 

I was kidding to an extent. I agree that the first two rounds should be money regularly, but they aren't for the Jets. I also agree that being a good drafter involves getting good players outside of the first couple rounds consistently. Who's tony?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Sure he’s had some missteps along the way. Not resigning Robby, drafting a QB in round 4. 

However these 2 moves alone have cemented him a great GM.

1) Drafting Mekhi Becton. This guy is an All Pro LT for next 12 years.

2) Trading Jamal for two 1s and a 3. What an absolute haul. Not to mention saving the $16m in cap space we’d have to use on him. Jamal having a lot of problems in Seattle 

Douglas is the best GM this team has had in awhile. He will make us a contender soon. 

Define great.

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

i hadn't remembered that when i was posting. 

but, yeah, hostetler/foles  got 'er done

I think it's particularly relevant to JD since he lived it first-hand.  That's why I won't criticize the Morgan pick.  If he plays and sucks, or isn't really any better than White, then fine, but until then, I think it's the height of arrogance to assume it was a mistake.  

Looking back, the two guys picked later in the round that I was interested in were Biadasz and AGG.  Biadasz looked pretty good at C for the Cowboys until he got injured stretching, so he would have fit right in here.  And AGG has done zero on WAS.  So I'm not sure how much we really missed out on anyway.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Mims has barely played so this seems overmuch ...   sorta disregarding claypool seems a bit odd to me.

fwiw, I hope ALL your optimism about Mims is proven out in time...  I harbor high hopes for him...

There's nothing wrong with being a solid WR2 like I think Claypool will be.  Not disregarding him at all.  I'm just much higher on Mims' chances to be a WR1.  And that was the case for me prior to the draft, too.