Douglas's draft looking better and better

Pointdexter

10 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Hell of a job by Joe Douglas in year 1. Known players:

1) Mekhi Becton - already an elite LT. Huge score here for Douglas.

2) Denzel Mims - looks to be at minimum a strong #2 type with potential for more. Another hit.

3) Ashytn Davis - Man he showed a lot tonight. Physical. Fast. Instinctive. He's the kind of player that will get better and better every year. I'm a fan.

4) Braden Mann - excellent punter that can change field position and kick off.

That's 4 hits with future starters. Perine looks like a contributor at a minimum for years. Zuniga, Clark, Morgan and Hall are all question marks but if we get anything out of just a couple of them it's gravy.

We haven't seen ROI like this on a draft in over a decade. Couple this with some excellent trades (jamal adams) and even the biggest skeptic has to be bullish on Joe Douglas right now.

1) We have no idea if Bechton can stay healthy.  He's a big man whose body just might not be up to it

2) Mims has NOT been impressive at all.  He looks to me to play the game very slowly.  I know it's very early but I am concerned.  What has he shown that has you saying he's at minimum a strong #2 type.  Jeff Smith and Perriman are clearly outplaying him and neither of them are close to a #2.  He has a lot of work to do.

3) Ashytn, in his first start he did seem to play well.  Is he any good in coverage though?  I don't know enough to know that yet.

4) Right now Braden Mann is ranked 24th in Net punting yards and 18th in Avg. total yards.  That level of play is nothing to be excited about.  Again, it's early but he has been very far from special.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting?sort=puntavg

Other than Becton, who can't seem to stay healthy, there is much more to be concerned about than excited about with JD's first draft

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Last year they needed 5 new lineman.  This year I think they need two new lineman. I would be okay with the current tackle and center. Get two new guards and let's go.

Been saying the same, but I think stud Center, stud guard, and move McGovern to the other guard spot and the line is pretty much set. Between Font and Edgoda, then can battle for RT.

2 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Respectfully, this is way off. Flacco looked like Junk in his other games when he was throwing to Junk. Never even reached 200 yds.  All of a sudden he found it? 

Darnold will have a nice game in 2 weeks

Respectfully, the proof is in the film.  Flacco excelled at all of those things last night and that’s why the offense clicked the way it did.

Highly doubt it.

• Upvote 3

Just to play devils advocate:

Becton - injuries are concerning.  It's great that he looks like beast when healthy but what good is a LT who is never healthy? DBrick missed 1 snap his entire career and that was because he was pulled for a trick play.  In comparison, how many snaps has Becton missed his rookie season? I'm cautiously optimistic about his future.  He looks potentially elite but health is a big part of playing LT.  

Mims - not sure how you could make any predictions  based on 10 catches but I'm optimistic. 

Davis - instincts is probably the last word I'd use for him.  He looks lost in coverage, literally gets turned around when left in centerfield.  Fine when he plays downhill, I guess.  He made one nice play on the night.  Again, way to soon to say anything more than depth.

Mann - who cares?  I mean seriously.

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I was thinking the same thing and sadly my high hopes for Sam are fading faster.

He’s toast my friend.  We could debate until sunset why he busted, but the facts are he will, likely, not be here next year and we will have drafted a replacement.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

1) We have no idea if Bechton can stay healthy.  He's a big man whose body just might not be up to it

2) Mims has NOT been impressive at all.  He looks to me to play the game very slowly.  I know it's very early but I am concerned.  What has he shown that has you saying he's at minimum a strong #2 type.  Vincent Smith and Perriman are clearly outplaying him and neither of them are close to a #2.  He has a lot of work to do.

3) Ashytn, in his first start he did seem to play well.  Is he any good in coverage though?  I don't know enough to know that yet.

4) Right now Braden Mann is ranked 24th in Net punting yards and 18th in Avg. total yards.  That level of play is nothing to be excited about.  Again, it's early but he has been very far from special.

Other than Becton, who can't seem to stay healthy, there is much more to be concerned about than excited about with JD's first draft

Wait so Mims doesn’t look good? You’re the first person I’ve heard who doesn’t like what they’ve seen outta him

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The OL signings are starting to look pretty solid, too. 

I was tellin' all of ya that it takes half a season for a totally new line to gel.  I would still like to have two more top quality lineman added in the off season.  One inside, one out... 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Wait so Mims doesn’t look good? You’re the first person I’ve heard who doesn’t like what they’ve seen outta him

Why does he look good?  What has he done that makes anyone say he's going to be a good receiver?

10 catchers for 146 yards in 3 games.

Look, I'm not saying he's bad - I'm just saying we don't know yet.  My eye-ball test has me worried - as his game speed seems slow, but I'm hoping that's just because he's indecisive due to only being his 3rd game. I want him to be good and certainly hope he will be..

But there's literally nothing any of you could have seen to say he's "at minimum a solid #2" - We've seen nothing to say that.

• Thumb Down 4

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Why does he look good?  What has he done that makes anyone say he's going to be a good receiver?

10 catchers for 146 yards in 3 games.

Look, I'm not saying he's bad - I'm just saying we don't know yet.  My eye-ball test has me worried - as his game speed seems slow, but I'm hoping that's just because he's indecisive due to only being his 3rd game. I want him to be good and certainly hope he will be..

But there's literally nothing any of you could have seen to say he's "at minimum a solid #2" - We've seen nothing to say that.

Look we know your job is to be a Debbie downer but if you honestly think Mims hasn’t  looked good so far then you have no business posting on here 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What the **** are you talking about?  I get not crowning Mims off such a small body of work, but this it off the wall.  Vyncint Smith is clearly outplaying him?  Vyncint Smith has 1 catch and has played 21 offensive snaps all ******* season.  Did you mean Jeff Smith?  He's not outplaying anybody either, except maybe Vyncint.  Perriman is certainly "close to a #2."  Perriman certainly has not been "clearly outplaying" Mims Perriman didn't do sh*t until Mims got on the field.  I think the purpose of this O was to put pressure on teams with speed and you can't do that without at least a couple of speedsters.   One is easily negated with minor scheming. 

Yes, Mims has not shown enough to call him anything but an unknown at this point.  Again, I'm not saying he's been bad - just that what we've seen of him hasn't been great or really impressive in any way.  10 catches for 142 yards over 3 games is nothing salivate over.

Perriman is only playing well because of Mim's - That logic is honestly comical.

(I did mean Jeff Smith, my mistake)

• Thumb Down 2

45 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I see a very tentative player - that seems to be lacking in aggression and unsure of what he's supposed to do.

Now, it is only his third game and I hope that's just a rookie issue.  It very well may be.  So I'm not holding it against him.

But we also shouldn't be calling him "at a minimum a solid #2" as the OP noted.  He has played nowhere near that level - .  Not if we ever want to win.  If our second best receiver is averaging 3 catches and 40 yards a game the Jets are in a lot of trouble.

He may certainly turn into it, or even a legitimate #1 - just that right now we don't know what he'll be.  

Why is that so hard for people to accept?  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

He did. And he was garbage when he nothing to throw to. The proof was in that film, twice

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

When I see Sam check protections, read a pre snap blitz, and recognize wide open receivers, I’ll believe that he can do it too.  So far, he’s not done that this year, even when he had everyone, ala the 2nd Bills game.

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I was thinking the same thing and sadly my high hopes for Sam are fading faster.

We certainly set up Sam to fail here.  We can’t make that mistake again if we get Lawrence.  I still think Sam is going to be a good QB once he gets to a better situation 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Mims put up 63 yds last night . About what Julio Jones averaged his rookie year. Let’s give the kid some time

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Sure, but let's not call him "at minimum a strong #2".   It's too early for that.  He hasn't shown nearly enough for a statement like that.

Since you asked - Julio Jones averaged about 73 yards per game his rookie year - a little less than double what we've seen from Mims

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, Mims has not shown enough to call him anything but an unknown at this point.  Again, I'm not saying he's been bad - just that what we've seen of him hasn't been great or really impressive in any way.  10 catches for 142 yards over 3 games is nothing salivate over.

Perriman is only playing well because of Mim's - That logic is honestly comical.

(I did mean Jeff Smith, my mistake)

Dude stop trolling.  Nobody is saying he is a star but since making his debut he had been very good and shown promise for the future.  Like I said we all know you are miserable about everything Jet related but at least be a tad bit fair.  We know this year sucks but let fans be happy for some of the young kids doing pretty good and hopefully are part of the solution going forward 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Since you asked - Julio Jones averages about 73 yards per game his rookie year - a little less than double what we've seen from Mims

Playing on a 10 win team, with Matt Ryan throwing over 4K, a better OL and a 1300 yard RB.

Makes a hell of a lot of sense why

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

So what you've seen of Mims in the 3 games tell you -  he is "at minimum a strong #2" ?

1.  I never said anything about what he will be

2. My point is its comical that you think you can see hes tentative, looks lost and isnt aggressive while being unsure of what he is doing.  

3.  Does he fight for balls and wins those fights?  Seems to me hes done well there.  Has he gotten open?  At times for sure.  Is he fast?  Yes.  Does he have size?  Yes.  Does he have hands?  Yes.  Things I can see as opposed to your points

• Upvote 2