Brehad Perriman Looked Pretty Good out there

JetBlue

Perriman has looked good whenever he's been healthy this season.  Granted, that's been rare, but its still true. 

It's not news to most to suggest he's a capable WR3/WR4.  It's only news to those who wanted to be critical of a bunch of 1-year signings intended only to be band-aids.  

I'd be glad to have him brought back on a 2-year deal at a WR3/WR4 price.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

So that's 1 out of 9 games in which he's showed up....

I do feel like I need to see Sam with all the WRs healthy now to compare to Flacco's production...

I feel like the “let’s wait and judge when everyone’s healthy” view isn’t realistic with this team. It never happens. Even before the season starts they’re injured, and when those guys heal up, another bunch is hurt. I know it’s the nature of the game but it seems out of control with the Jets.

5 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

How about re-sign Perriman (he has talent when healthy) and then add Kyle Pitts at Seattle's pick? He's like a WR in a TE's body.

The trio of Crowder, Mims, and Perriman is pretty good when they're all out there. Add in Pitts and we've got something going.

I would still sign either Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin

WR1: Robinson or Godwin

WR2: Mims

WR3: Crowder

WR4: Perriman

TE: Pitts

Now that would be a core to build around for a QB. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

While the Patriots are a bad team, they still have a good secondary. Let’s not discredit what Perriman and Flacco did too much. The pressure is on Darnold to improve. Flacco showed our weapons aren’t HS level players. Even our OL without Becton held it together. I’m not buying that all 3 have to be on the field for them to magically all be good. 2 of 3 have been on the field at various points this season.

right.  the patsie defense looks bad because they don't get the pass pressure they used to.  the secondary isn't half bad even with gilmore being out.

• Upvote 1

I'm still not particularly interested in brining back Perriman because of his durability issues. 

The last thing this team needs is more bodies that aren't durable. I still want a minimum of two more WRs in this draft, unless we sign a big free agent WR. 

Perriman has plenty of physical talent, but feels like a guy who will be "banged up" for the majority of his entire career. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Perriman's problem his entire career has been consistency.

Perriman shows up for one game against a defense decimated with missing players

Jets Fans: Let's sign him! Consistency problem solved! 

The only thing inconsistent about him this year has been his health.  When he's been on the field, he's been good.  Not sure what you're talking about here.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm still not particularly interested in brining back Perriman because of his durability issues. 

The last thing this team needs is more bodies that aren't durable. I still want a minimum of two more WRs in this draft, unless we sign a big free agent WR. 

Perriman has plenty of physical talent, but feels like a guy who will be "banged up" for the majority of his entire career. 

Durability questions are legit, which is why I only want him back to be the WR4 next season.  No matter what we do with Perriman, we need at least 2 new WRs.  Ideally, for me, I'd like to see a WR corps of one of these: 

• A) Allen Robinson (or an alternative, legit FA WR1/WR2), Mims, Crowder, 1 rookie WR, Perriman, Vyncint Smith  
  • B ) Mims, Crowder, 2 rookie WR's, Perriman and Vyncint Smith.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Show your work. 

He's caught 16 of 24 targets and has more TDs (2) so far than Robby Anderson (1).  When he's been targeted, QB's have a 123.4 QB Rating.  He's also averaging a pretty solid 5.3 YAC per reception (for comparison, Anderson is averaging 5.5).  And he's done this with dogsh*t QB play and playcalling.  

What more, exactly, do you want him to do out there? 

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2020 at 2:55 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

He's caught 16 of 24 targets and has more TDs (2) so far than Robby Anderson (1).  When he's been targeted, QB's have a 123.4 QB Rating.  He's also averaging a pretty solid 5.3 YAC per reception (for comparison, Anderson is averaging 5.5).  And he's done this with dogsh*t QB play and playcalling.  

What more, exactly, do you want him to do out there? 

In 5 games, he's had 3, 2, 4, 2, 5 receptions. The stats you mention make him 32nd in catch rate % which might not be horrible, but given the low volume of targets, you'd hope for a higher number (he doesn't have enough plays to qualify for some metrics as a wide receiver). He had zero TDs until the last game so 4 games, zero TDs and 1 game with 2 is the very definition of inconsistent. The entire point is that he goes off and then is quiet. That has been the pattern this season.  Even in his best game of the season, he went long stretches without a catch and only drawing single coverage in man or not getting open in zone. 

..and yes, there's a lot of reasons for the inconsistent production this season, but it's still inconsistent for a guy whose entire career has been inconsistent. Maybe getting healthy and playing in a string of games the rest of the season lets him get more consistent, but I think it's a tough argument to say he has been so far...

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

In 5 games, he's had 3, 2, 4, 2, 5 receptions. The stats you mention make him 32nd in catch rate % which might not be horrible, but given the low volume of targets, you'd hope for a higher number (he doesn't have enough plays to qualify for some metrics as a wide receiver). He had zero TDs until the last game so 4 games, zero TDs and 1 game with 2 is the very definition of inconsistent. The entire point is that he goes off and then is quiet. That has been the pattern this season.  Even in his best game of the season, he went long stretches without a catch and only drawing single coverage in man or not getting open in zone. 

..and yes, there's a lot of reasons for the inconsistent production this season, but it's still inconsistent for a guy whose entire career has been inconsistent. Maybe getting healthy and playing in a string of games the rest of the season lets him get more consistent, but I think it's a tough argument to say he has been so far...

Even if you are accurate in calling him inconsistent, my argument all along has been that he's a good WR3/WR4.  You expect some inconsistency out of those guys.  For what he was advertised to be, I've been more than happy with his productivity.  Again, our sh*tty QB's have a 123 QB Rating when targeting Perriman.  If he's "inconsistent" then that must mean he has a high ceiling to offset it, which jives with what we've both been seeing out of him.  That makes him the perfect WR3/WR4.  It's those who were expecting WR2 production that are disappointed.  

I want Perriman back not to "fix" the WR corps, but to be a WR3/WR4 here for the next season or 2.  We can't let ALL of our many free agents go after the season, because that just creates more holes.  Perriman is one of the guys I'd bring back, provided we can keep him at WR3/WR4 rates.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if you are accurate in calling him inconsistent, my argument all along has been that he's a good WR3/WR4.  You expect some inconsistency out of those guys.  For what he was advertised to be, I've been more than happy with his productivity.  Again, our sh*tty QB's have a 123 QB Rating when targeting Perriman.  If he's "inconsistent" then that must mean he has a high ceiling to offset it, which jives with what we've both been seeing out of him.  That makes him the perfect WR3/WR4.  It's those who were expecting WR2 production that are disappointed.  

I want Perriman back not to "fix" the WR corps, but to be a WR3/WR4 here for the next season or 2.  We can't let ALL of our many free agents go after the season, because that just creates more holes.  Perriman is one of the guys I'd bring back, provided we can keep him at WR3/WR4 rates.

Perriman played like a number 1 receiver the second half of last season when he finally received consistent playing time.  I am NOT saying he is a number 1 receiver but I am saying he has number 1 or 2 receiver talent.  And he is still only about 25 or 26 years old; in fact I think he is younger than Robbie. 

This year this year he, along with the entire team have struggled and the injuries didn't help.  There are 7 games left and he is healthy.  I fully expect him to showcase why he was a good signing by JD.  It is not his fault the entire season has gone to hell in a hand bag.  He has a chance to put together several strong performances especially now that Mims is finally playing along side him.   I think they can be a very nice duo the rest of the way or threesome if you include Crowder.   If he does, I definitely bring him back.  As someone mentioned, as 3 or 4th receiver with 2 even 1 potential, you could do a lot worse.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You quoted me in a thread about him being a #1

I can't wait to see if Sammy can come back and finally start balling out next week now that he has some guys to throw to. He has to know he's playing for his future as a starting QB in this league.

Now that everyone has turned on him, I'm starting to feel bad for the kid. There's a part of me that wants to see him do it. :cheergal: 

On 11/10/2020 at 2:05 AM, Spoot-Face said:

I'd rather just sign Robinson or JuJu.

I've always been team Allen Robinson because I love his size at 6'2/220 lbs and on the outside, I couldn't imagine him with a true Franchise QB because I believe he'd become physically impossible to stop. He's already one of my favorite top 5 NFL WR's in today's game despite crappy QB play. The only thing that'll scare me about giving him a big time WR FA contract is that he's already 27 and will be 28 this time next year. 

With that said and the more I think about it? The more I want a younger JuJu Smith-Schuster @ only 23 years of age with awesome size @ 6'1/215 lbs. 

He's not another WR diva, he doesn't care about his touches, he supports his QB and just wants to win I absolutely love this kid. 

His rookie season of 2017 showed me why he went during the 2nd round and why he should've been a 1st round selection while recording 58 receptors for 917 receiving yards and 7 TD receptions. 

But his 2018 Pro-Bowl season as only a 2nd year kid was freaking phenomenal recording 111 receptions, 1,426 receiving yards and 7 TD's; this kid is an animal out there @ WR. 

And here in 2020 as a 4th year veteran he's been red hot over the past 3 games and on a well balanced offense led by Roethlisberger he's put up 45 receptions (57 targets), 439 receiving yards and 4 TD receptions (0 fumbles throughout his NFL career). 

If we're to land Trevor Lawrence? JuJu Smith-Schuster automatically becomes my #1 FA target if I'm JD. 

My dream offense come 2021:

QB: Trevor Lawrence (greatest QB prospect coming out of HS and College since Peyton Manning). 

LT: Mekhi Becton (Ready to protect our Franchise QB's blindside for many of years to come). 

RB1: Najee Harris (1st pick of 2nd round). Reminds me so much of a mixture of former Alabama horse Derrick Henry and Adrian Peterson due to his violent style of run. 

WR1: JuJu Smith-Schuster (Trevor already has a true #1 on the outside). 

Slot Receiver: Rondale Moore (Seattle's 1st round pick for Jamal Adams). To me, he's the most exciting WR in all of college football and @ 5'9/180lbs he reminds me so much of a younger DeSean Jackson and/or a current version of Tyreek Hill of KC who imo Patrick Mahomes wouldn't be the same without. He'd become our first 1st RD WR since Santana Moss of 2000 and it's nuts because he's got Santana Moss written all over his style of play; he's electric. 

WR2: Denzel Mims (I absolutely already love the absolute talent that I see in this kid and I honestly believe JuJu/Mims have the ability and A+ potential to become our greatest WR duo since Toon/Walker and/or Keyshawn/Chrebet). 

WR4: Jamison Crowder (That's how you know your offensive attack is fully loaded and stacked @ WR, because when you've got a 28 years of age natural slot receiver in Jamison Crowder as your #4 WR and behind 3 explosive younger one's? You just know that JD isn't making the same mistakes as Tanny did Sanchez and/or Macc did to Sam Darnold ala Trevor Lawrence would then have pass catching weapons everywhere. 

TE1: Chris Herndon: I haven't given up on this Miami U TE just yet. Everyone else has but I haven't and that's because as of right now, I believe his confidence is broken playing alongside and under Gase. You surround Herndon with the likes of Trevor, Najee, JuJu, Mims, Moore and Crowder alongside a different head coach and I believe Herndon becomes rejuvenated and ready to emerge (once again) come 2021. However I could be wrong and therefore I won't include him as a long term option for Trevor. 

And from there? Omg (Defense can wait until 2022's draft) because with two premium 3rd's and a 4th etc JD can finally begin to focus on our interior O-Line built around Becton @ LT for our new and immediately improved QB/RB duo Trevor (Clemson) and Najee (Alabama). 

I want to see JD add all 4 of these off-season players in Lawrence, Najee, Moore and JuJu so bad... 

How could any longtime offensive suffering Jets fan not become excited to see that offense take the field on Sundays together while developing  alongside of one another over the years to come?!? That's already 7 players on offense who we'd absolutely love rooting for (exciting, for once). 

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2020 at 1:18 AM, johnnysd said:

Well I think that Mims and Perriman both being out there is pretty big. It's like a 1+1=3 thing. Mims looks like a future #1 to me. He just is behind the development curve.  NE is just not very good. Still would sign a WR. If we can extend Perriman for around what we pay him this year I do it and really focus on keeping him healthy. We looked like a competent football team tonight to be quite honest. I suspect we lost Mekhi for the year. He has not had injuries in the past. I think he needs to lose some weight it wont affect his strength but will reduce all the stress his body takes. We have likely 3 of the top 35 picks this draft. That can be team changing.

The Patriots are not the Pats we know but Cam fumbled on Buffalos 5 yard line in FG range to tie or a TD wins it. They took Seattle to the wire, all their losses they were in the game with a chance to win it! So, while the Pats were without players, the Jets were also without their starting QB, QW, and Becton with a secondary full of cast offs. Belichick knows how to put people in position, so it was great to see Mims & Perriman making plays. I would resign a Perriman on the cheap if possible.

11 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

You quoted me in a thread about him being a #1

The thread title is he "looked pretty good".  I must have missed the part about him being a # 1.  In any case I don't agree with that premise at all, and never have.  I've been consistent ever since Perriman hit free agency that he's a good WR3/WR4 to add, and nothing I've seen suggests that take is wrong.  

• Sympathy 1

I would take Perriman back, but it obviously depends on price.  He's not getting any younger.  He is in a Jermaine Kearse like position IMO.  I don't want JuJu unless he is cheap.  I'd rather have paid Anderson. I would love a serious FA wideout like Robinson or Godwin.  I would rather pay a Golladay than Smith-Schuster.

I hate posting on these threads because all of my answers are qualified with how much they cost and that is a cop out.  Smith-Schuster would be nice, but I want no part of him at big money.  I said the same about Decker, but they got him cheap enough it made sense.   I was on the record as wanting no part of Bell, but then being happy enough for the price - he was a rip-off even at the reduced rate.