Jets 2021 Expectations

kevinc855

SO lets say we somehow end up talking Trevor to agree to come to this dumpster fire of an organization and have the 1 pick. (I state that for the future rounds) 

What is the Jets expectations in 2021 for W-L record. I asumme we have a new HC as well by the way. 

SO far the Bengals and Chargers with their new QB's are 2 win teams in Mid November. IS this something Jet Fans should brace for. 

OR are we hoping with a fairly weak AFC East we are competitive next year. Interested in your thoughts and exciting either way to have you guys rooting for wins again next year. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Win some game show some improvement, be competitive and not the laughing stock of the NFL and continue to build a winning product. 

We can potentially do a little better than that. Between FA and the draft, there is a lot of opportunity. But you have hit the absolute minimum. 

Weaker schedule, the division being on that will up for grabs every year now, a big free agency haul, and (hopefully) another great draft will go a long way.

Assuming we land Trevor Lawrence and he's as good as everybody says he is... we can compete right away for the division. Andrew Luck won 11 games his first year after the team being abysmal the year before - if Lawrence is just as good or better, the turnaround will be real and it'll be swift.

17 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Weaker schedule, the division being on that will up for grabs every year now, a big free agency haul, and (hopefully) another great draft will go a long way.

Assuming we land Trevor Lawrence and he's as good as everybody says he is... we can compete right away for the division. Andrew Luck won 11 games his first year after the team being abysmal the year before - if Lawrence is just as good or better, the turnaround will be real and it'll be swift.

I hope this is the approach we take. Jet fans are always so timid....."4-5 win expectations" Like dang you just tanked an entire season for a 4 win one??

WIN IN 2021!

• Upvote 1

I don’t think I’ll have a W-L expectation. I’ll definitely have expectations of our offense. We not only need to get a new QB, we need to surround him with players. So maybe that’s more of an offseason expectation. I expect us to add a high quality WR, RB and at least 1 solid iOL (possibly 2). I don’t have any expectations about defense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

SO lets say we somehow end up talking Trevor to agree to come to this dumpster fire of an organization and have the 1 pick. (I state that for the future rounds) 

What is the Jets expectations in 2021 for W-L record. I asumme we have a new HC as well by the way. 

SO far the Bengals and Chargers with their new QB's are 2 win teams in Mid November. IS this something Jet Fans should brace for. 

OR are we hoping with a fairly weak AFC East we are competitive next year. Interested in your thoughts and exciting either way to have you guys rooting for wins again next year. 

I'd like to tank for one more year.

2023, will be the season when [mostly] all the pieces are in place, and it'll be time to dream BIG. 

I'm definitely an optimist but I firmly believe if we can secure the #1 pick (and as Fields continue to thrive - possibly the #2 pick) that there is the POTENTIAL to turn this thing around in a season or two. 

In addition to the haul of draft picks we have - the cap room in light of COVID makes free agency potentially exciting. In any year the list of free agents is usually cut in half or more by people franchising or re-signing players before they can hit the market. With the drop in cap a lot of those teams won't have the same luxury anymore, and if they do opt to franchise an Allen Robinson for example, than other players need to become available via trade or releases. 

The ability to get Lawrence (and somewhat less for Fields) means we should be able to hire a top tier coaching candidate. A top coach will help draw in more free agents. If you assume 3-4 day 1 starters come out of our first 5-6 picks in the first three rounds (assuming a 2nd-3rd for Darnold), another 4-5 new starters from free agency, and getting CJ Mosley back - the Jets should have almost 50% starting roster turnover, and a competent coaching staff. Combine this with a softer schedule (play the AFC/NFC south next year, and a 4th place AFC slate), and new coaching and I think if TL is as advertised this team could be in the mix for competing for the 7th place slot, with the goal of contending the following year. 

So realistically they'll probably finish third, hire Jim Caldwell and draft the third QB who will bust....

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Draft TL... Go to playoffs as wild card team.

43 minutes ago, peebag said:

I'm not expecting much.

This current team is horrific.  And you can only add so many new players each year.

We'll be amazed what a difference a new HC and QB combo will make. 

I'm not exactly expecting us to compete for the division, but playing competitive football week in and week out, and playing something around .500 ball?  Sure, why not?

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We'll be amazed what a difference a new HC and QB combo will make. 

I'm not exactly expecting us to compete for the division, but playing competitive football week in and week out, and playing something around .500 ball?  Sure, why not?

It’d at least make the game more watchable. 

• Upvote 1