" Craig Carton, Evan Roberts made their afternoon-drive debut. Here’s how it went ".. audio WHIPLASH ? ? ?

kelly

Craig Carton, Evan Roberts made their afternoon-drive debut. Here’s how it went

Anyone else got a case of audio whiplash?

Once Craig Carton and Evan Roberts hit the three-hour mark of their afternoon-drive debut, Monday on WFAN, the rapid-fire pace of their jabber, a stream of consciousness fiesta tailor made for the short attention span crowd, had the first-time-long-time’s ears burning — and wondering if this odd couple could maintain this vibe for five hours.Turned out to be a Gasbag’s Paradise, with a big resemblance to William M. Joel’s “We Didn’t Start the Fire.” In staccato fashion, Carton & Roberts were jamming. Using the plight of Daniel Jones as their bass line, they also grooved on: Celebrity sightings in bathrooms, Uncle Steve Cohen, stuffed ponies, Manish Mehta, Harry Truman, Pizza toppings, Zach Gelb, Trevor Lawrence, Omar Minaya, Norman Julius Esiason, Michael Kay, legalized pot, Mike (Sports Pope) Francesa, Joe Douglas, Richard Kotite and Howard Stern.About the only cat they missed was Donald J. Trump.

Carton managed to get an early shot in at his sports-talk competition, Kay’s ESPN-98.7 show. A caller, Vinny From Staten Island, predicted: “You guys are taking out Michael Kay.”Carton: “Did that happen already?” Ouch!What about some preconceived notions, like would Roberts turn into the Blandy Man when Carton said something he disagreed with — like Jets GM Joe Douglas?“The early returns on Joe Douglas are good,” Carton proclaimed.“Based on what,” an indignant Roberts shot back.Remember, long before Carton was sentenced to a year in jail, he was waving pom-poms for another failed Jets GM, Mike Maccagnan, who he kissed up to and fondly referred to as “Mikey Mac.”Roberts pushed back on his new partner when Carton referred to the coronavirus as “the 'Rona.”“Don’t call it 'the 'Rona,” Roberts said. “It sounds very douchey.” Now there’s a word Roberts wasn’t inclined to use while swapping lines with Joe Benigno.Confirming Roberts characterization, Carton showed his D-Side discussing Washington quarterback Alex Smith. “You can’t tell me that every Giant fan wasn’t saying ‘You mean we can’t sack a guy who is out there playing on one leg?’”

On the flip side, Carton knew when Roberts was reaching and slowing the pace of the show. For reasons known only to him, Roberts tried comparing Harry Truman’s exit from the presidency to Omar Minaya being axed by the Mets. Unfortunately, Roberts stayed with this bit a little too long. Just as he did being faux (we hope) disappointed over new Mets boss Steve Cohen not responding to his DM on Twitter.If there was any change in Carton’s shtick after his three-year hiatus from WFAN — following his arrest and being charged with fraud for using money invested in a ticket sales business to fund his gambling debts — it was the self-deprecating humor he displayed on Monday’s show.When the clock hit 6 p.m. Carton said: “We go five hours. There’s one hour left. For some of you it’s a bonus hour. For others — ehhh.”

Carton, who did a solo one-hour show on WFAN late last month, did not dwell on his gambling addiction, but did confront it head on when FanDuel, which is in bed with FAN’s parent company Entercom, commercials aired (Carton did and will not read them).Carton also said gambling wasn’t his only problem. “I’ve got nothing left to hide. I was the biggest knucklehead on the planet,” Carton said. “I can’t blame it all on gambling. I’m a long way away from being even with the people I hurt... Don’t feel like, ‘OK, Craig is born again’... No, part of admitting you’re an addict is talking about it.”Roberts, in an obvious cry for help, also admitted he had a problem. “I used to have an unhealthy obsession with getting to every sporting event I went to on time,” Roberts said. Wow! Where do you go to rehab for that?

Seriously though, will this team find chemistry along the long and winding road to ratings success? There are obstacles, like competition from other outlets and even WFAN management who can’t get out of its own way — going so far as to not address reports Roberts was not their first choice to work with Carton.Despite managements bass-akwards approach, despite the Talkies getting next to no reps together, Carton and Roberts, on Monday, presented a rough blue print on what their road to ratings glory might look like. Yes, it’s rough, but their performance showed they are ready.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/ny-carton-roberts-wfan-20201110-3cfaqro7x5gdpobb2gizoywyzi-story.html

I'm no fan of Evan Roberts, but they had chemistry on Monday and Carton brought a much needed energy to the WFAN afternoon drive.

Although I did not listen to the entire show, it looked like Roberts was contained and unable to ramble on as he has done for a long time with Joe B.

The new line up looks to be a big improvement.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, talonmm said:

I'm no fan of Evan Roberts, but they had chemistry on Monday and Carton brought a much needed energy to the WFAN afternoon drive.

Although I did not listen to the entire show, it looked like Roberts was contained and unable to ramble on as he has done for a long time with Joe B.

..it's all gonna come down to the ratings   :eusa_shifty:

I listened to a little of it and once again heard them talk about the WFAN softball team (as if ANYONE cares).  And Carton making fun of the idea of Evan in a tank top.

It was such garbage radio.  Previously I had listened to Carton's first appearance when they cut a "Benigno and Roberts" show short by an hour.  On that one, they also talked about the WFAN softball team.

From what I've heard so far, this combo is atrocious.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, The Gooch said:

Carton is taking over the show!  They hardly talked about sports at all yesterday!  They kept laughing at other things,very boring!!!!!!

Carton said he only knows how to do a show one way.  So that basically means he wants to do that idiotic morning show he did with Boomer.  I can't stand that kind of stuff.  I just want to hear hosts talking sports.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, talonmm said:

Yes this a very big change for Evan, day 1 he walks in to find Carton sitting in his chair the main chair, and Carton keeps it.  If Evan can accept he is Robin of the show it may work.

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I didn't listen as I find the Carton from the morning show to be unlistenable.

Now that I hear he's doing the same schtick I will never even put this on.  Sports talk should be about talking sports, Carton makes the show about himself - and he's simply not that interesting of a guy.

Carton trying to be a jersey shore version of 90’s Howard Stern may have had a place in the morning show but who wants to hear this clown talk about strippers while stuck on the Belt Parkway at 5pm?

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone listened to this show?  I've turned it on a few times while driving and I never hear them talking sports.  The closest they came was yesterday when Carton was mocking Manish about stalking Joe D's son.

Other than that though, I seem to always hear them discussing movies.  I can't wait until this show fails already so they can put something on in its place.

• Upvote 2

They are listenable at times, but it's true they rarely talk actual sports anymore.  It's just so different from normal afternoon drive.  I think they will find a way to stick around because Carton is an engaging guy and Evan is learning how to function as the resident "Sports guy" who chimes in when they need an actual informed opinion.

FWIW Carton does seem to have decent sources.  He had a good scoop this week in who the Mets are targeting and it seems to come from a pretty high level 

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

They are listenable at times, but it's true they rarely talk actual sports anymore.  It's just so different from normal afternoon drive.  I think they will find a way to stick around because Carton is an engaging guy and Evan is learning how to function as the resident "Sports guy" who chimes in when they need an actual informed opinion.

FWIW Carton does seem to have decent sources.  He had a good scoop this week in who the Mets are targeting and it seems to come from a pretty high level 

If they don't talk sports then they're not listenable (to me, at least).  On top of that, Carton really gets under my skin.  Maybe I'm the exception though.

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

I’m hoping that it’s just bc it’s late November. 
No MLB, NBA, NHL. Both local NFL teams suck.  

I do think Evan needed to move on from Joe B. His grumpy whiny schtick was tougher than ever to listen to.

I can’t stand it.  I like Evan but carton has come back with a “shock jock” frat style that I’m over.  I was a fan of carton back when he was on 1015 and the Jersey Guys, was a big fan of boomer and carton.  

This show just bugs me - constant audio drops like it’s a shock show, he always has a story for whatever topic they’re talking about, he seems to make fun of Evan a lot and they never talk sports.  

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I can’t stand it.  I like Evan but carton has come back with a “shock jock” frat style that I’m over.  I was a fan of carton back when he was on 1015 and the Jersey Guys, was a big fan of boomer and carton.  

This show just bugs me - constant audio drops like it’s a shock show, he always has a story for whatever topic they’re talking about, he seems to make fun of Evan a lot and they never talk sports.  

In every major city there is a radio personality  who goes by the handle "Boomer."  Always.  And always somebody who names himself after an animal (with an adjective in front of it.)  In Portland for years, it was "The Jammin' Salmon."  And we have a Boomer too.  "Cort and Boomer."