Becton Injury

LockeJET

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Weird how he feels like the most important player on the roster, but he does.

Because he is.  Unquestionably. 

Either Denzel Mims or Quinnen Williams is the 2nd most important player, depending on your perspective of whether a WR1 or pass-rushing DT  is more important in 2020.

After that it gets a little hazy.  I'd actually put Mosley # 4, because we know what kind of upside he can bring to the table if he still cares about football and goes all-in.  And we're stuck with him regardless because of financials, so you might as well build around him on D in 2021.  But then again he's only played in 3 Quarters of football since 2018, and his presence also prevents us from switching fully to a 4-3.  So who knows.

• Upvote 3

For a player of Becton's massive size? I truly believe that not having a training camp and a preseason due to Covid while not having a full NFL offseason as only a rookie is a big reason why he's been injury prone and banged up throughout 2020 (see below). 

"Becton played as a freshman in the 2017 season. During his freshman year, Becton played in 13 games and started 11 for Louisville at the tackle position. During the first 4 games of the season, Becton was the highest rated Freshman in the country by Pro Football Focus, and during the 7 he was the best pass-blocker in the ACC, allowing only 6 pressures in 312 snaps.

Becton was named a starting tackle for the 2018 season and started every game, bringing his total number of games started to 23 by the end of the season.

Becton was again named a starting tackle for the 2019 season. He received first team All-ACC honors and sat out Louisville's bowl game, and declared for the 2020 NFL Draft". 

In 3 years of college ball he not only played in damn near every game (never once injured) but he was so efficient to the point of never committing not even 1 offensive penality throughout his 3 year college career (that, is absolutely nuts to me). 

I'm not worried about Becton moving forward; a full offseason under his belt is what's needed most imo. 

I wanted Jeudy/Lamb because I never imagined any of these rookie O-Lineman to become as outright dominant as Becton has looked literally every game he's taken the field; he's been amazing and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

If we're able to land a generational QB prospect in Trevor Lawrence? We'll already have a Franchise LT already in place and ready to protect his blindside for the next 10+ years in Becton; Becton gives us so much offensive hope. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Bectons hearing the Trevor Lawrence echoes. There isn’t a guy on this team that doesn’t want to have the Redneck Tarzan in Green & White. 
Sams a California pussy, he’s soft man. Have you noticed he doesn’t look as athletic against top competition. 
6-2 was a mirage last year. He’s terrible against top competition. It’s similar to Rypien looking like Brett Favre against our defense earlier this year. Cam ate us up last night, he’s sucked against top defenses. 
Jets D is the equivalent of the Washington Generals playing the Globetrotters & our best player QW wasn’t on the field. 

Hearing Becton was having trouble breathing made me think of Tyrod Taylor who had his lung collapsed before a game, taking a painkilling shot for his ribs.

Becton's health seems to be an issue, this has been going on for a while. Maybe the two weeks off will help, I'd prefer to see him fully recover rather than trying to play through an ongoing issue...something that looks like it may be season long.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Gangrene said:

Hearing Becton was having trouble breathing made me think of Tyrod Taylor who had his lung collapsed before a game, taking a painkilling shot for his ribs.

Becton's health seems to be an issue, this has been going on for a while. Maybe the two weeks off will help, I'd prefer to see him fully recover rather than trying to play through an ongoing issue...something that looks like it may be season long.

Other than QB he's the longterm key to offense in my opinion.  No reason to play him if he's anything less than 100%.  Not just to continue the tank, but I feel like how this guy plays will have a big affect on whether this offense gets any better next year.....either with Darnold or any other QB.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Other than QB he's the longterm key to offense in my opinion.  No reason to play him if he's anything less than 100%.  Not just to continue the tank, but I feel like how this guy plays will have a big affect on whether this offense gets any better next year.....either with Darnold or any other QB.

The coaching staff are motivated to play him, to help save their jobs...which is understandable if you are desperate. 

0 & 9 in the standings If I was the owner and pigs had wings, I would sit Mekhi.

We are going to need more help up front for 2021.