The Jets need a real weapon.....on defense!

jetstream23

Using a high Draft pick on Defense  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about using a high Draft pick in 2021 on a key defensive position?

• I'd support using the Jets their 1st overall pick on a defensive player if Joe Douglas felt it was worth it. I trust him that much!
    • I'd support using the Jets second 1st round pick on a defender (late Round 1 pick from Seattle)
    • I'd support using one of the Jets first 3 picks (likely a Top 34 player) on a defender as long as the other two are offense
    • I DON'T want a defender to be taken by the Jets before Round 3
    • I DON't want a defender taken by the Jets until at least the 3rd day of the Draft (Rounds 4-7)
    • Don't touch a defender until 2022!!! Offense, Offense, Offense!

Yeah, yeah.... I know.  The Jets need to build around the offense, may look to replace the QB, need wide receivers, probably two upgrades on the OLine and a starting RB.

BUT...this defense is still starving for a game-changing player.  It's been a long time since they've had a Darrelle Revis, John Abraham, or even the spark that a Jamal Adams brought to a mediocre defense.  And, as nice a player as Quinnen Williams seems to be developing into he still plays a DT position that can impact the opponent's offense but rarely changes the game.

The Jets defense needs a weapon, either a dominant Edge rusher or maybe a shutdown corner that erases the WR1 from the other team and makes the other 10 guys on D have an easier job.  They need a turnover producer, a guy who flips the field for the team by causing a fumble inside the Jets own 30 so that a gimme FG doesn't happen.  Or how about a CB who generates a Pick-6 (remember those?).

I know we want offense, offense, and more offense in both FA and the Draft.  I'm arguing we might want offense, defense, offense and more offense.  With 3 picks likely in the Top 34 of the Draft there's no reason the Jets can't add a spark on D.

The defensive group seems to be comprised of some young, relatively hungry players now.  Quinnen, Fatukasi, Phillips, Bless Austin, Davis, Hall, etc. seem like pieces that will continue to get better and could be longterm starters.  Those guys orbit around some good (but not great) veterans like Jordan Jenkins and Marcus Maye.  My point is that the Jets have some nice players who seem like they could comprise an average NFL defense, but how do you make that defense above average?

The Jets can jumpstart the D by adding a guy capable of 9 or 10 sacks from the outside, a guy who commands double-teams, a guy who the offense plans a little bit for and avoids going in his direction.  They need a guy who generates multiple turnovers in a season, one of which directly changes a game and pushes an 8-win Jets team to a 9-win Jets team.

Are you onboard with using one of the Jets early picks on a premium defensive position?

We need some defense!  #Dawgs

safe for work puppy GIF by SB Nation

A good DC can do a lot w scheme. Offense is ALL about talent. Offense all day this off season. 

plus when healthy, the Jets wouldn’t look awful on D next year if you could sprinkle in one edge rusher. Mosely coming back, the DL is solid and Landi is basically Ray Lewis. 

Maye, Davis, Austin are 2 out of 3 in the DB

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, yeah.... I know.  The Jets need to build around the offense, may look to replace the QB, need wide receivers, probably two upgrades on the OLine and a starting RB.

BUT...this defense is still starving for a game-changing player.  It's been a long time since they've had a Darrelle Revis, John Abraham, or even the spark that a Jamal Adams brought to a mediocre defense.  And, as nice a player as Quinnen Williams seems to be developing into he still plays a DT position that can impact the opponent's offense but rarely changes the game.

The Jets defense needs a weapon, either a dominant Edge rusher or maybe a shutdown corner that erases the WR1 from the other team and makes the other 10 guys on D have an easier job.  They need a turnover producer, a guy who flips the field for the team by causing a fumble inside the Jets own 30 so that a gimme FG doesn't happen.  Or how about a CB who generates a Pick-6 (remember those?).

I know we want offense, offense, and more offense in both FA and the Draft.  I'm arguing we might want offense, defense, offense and more offense.  With 3 picks likely in the Top 34 of the Draft there's no reason the Jets can't add a spark on D.

The defensive group seems to be comprised of some young, relatively hungry players now.  Quinnen, Fatukasi, Phillips, Bless Austin, Davis, Hall, etc. seem like pieces that will continue to get better and could be longterm starters.  Those guys orbit around some good (but not great) veterans like Jordan Jenkins and Marcus Maye.  My point is that the Jets have some nice players who seem like they could comprise an average NFL defense, but how do you make that defense above average?

The Jets can jumpstart the D by adding a guy capable of 9 or 10 sacks from the outside, a guy who commands double-teams, a guy who the offense plans a little bit for and avoids going in his direction.  They need a guy who generates multiple turnovers in a season, one of which directly changes a game and pushes an 8-win Jets team to a 9-win Jets team.

Are you onboard with using one of the Jets early picks on a premium defensive position?

If they go defense it has to be edge or corner.  Just not with the no. 1 pick.

• Upvote 2

Good defenses are neutered by crappy offenses. Now more than ever before. 

You need a respectable offense to manage clock and limit turnovers to give your good defense a bit of rest and decent field position.

Otherwise, that defense won't make a difference. 

Nowadays, good teams are built on good offenses and average defenses that can ocassionally provoke turnovers. 

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

We have a dawg, he flashed Monday, and I hope/expect him to really make his presence known as a Dawg the final 7 games.

Ashytn Davis 

Just draft good players, develop them, and then sign them.

Lets be honest. Even if we get Lawrence, the Jets team that takes the field on Opening Day next year will have an expansion team level roster. This isn't going t be a quick turnaround. We'll be lucky to win 4 games.

Just in our division, we've fallen way behind the Bills (Allen is a phenom) and Miami (who now have a QB and also have the Texans #1 pick, and their own, along with two #2s), and the Pats still have Belichek.

The AFC is loaded with good to great young QBs, like Allen, Mahomes, Jackson, Mayfield, Burrow, Herbert and Tua to name a few. and strong, stable organizations like the Steelers. It will be a long time before we contend for anything. We need to be patient and hope Douglas has a clue what he's doing here. So far he's been anything but a slam dunk.

On the bright side, The Rangers are looking really good, Steve Cohen bought the Mets, the Yankees always contend, and the Isles are pretty good too. So that gives us NY sports fans just about a full calendar year of good sports action to watch. It's only football that's abysmal.