JD's Dilemna

addage

28 minutes ago, Icer said:

Sunk cost is the reason why bad teams stick with Christian Hackenberg over Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes

Also the reason why smart teams have Kyler Murray and not Josh Rosen

I never said anything about sunken costs; i have no problem spending johnson's money or tossing the picks of the past 2 GMs; just saying just because the guy may be great, doesn't mean that you have to draft him if the pick haul is good enough.

32 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I choose D as the best course of action.  

Pick up Darnold's 5th year option, thus you have two years worth of control.  You fire Gase and hire an offensive coach that can actually install a system.  Use the draft/FA to sure up the OL and get a No. 1 WR.  You sit Lawrence down, until he learns the ins and outs of the system.  If the last two MVP QBs can sit and learn, so can Lawrence.  

The whole idea is rebuilding Darnold's value because there will always be a market for QBs.  Trading Darnold now is selling low, when we can bring Lawrence along slowly enough, while also building the value of Darnold.  

The important aspect here is installing a system that is QB friendly and actually modern.  

Thoughtful post, but disagree.  If Sam is shut down now ("injury is worse than we thought") JD could find a buyer believing Gase/lack of weapons is why he sucks.  Trotting him out there and having him keep seeing ghosts keeps exposing him and only lowers his value.  

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Thoughtful post, but disagree.  If Sam is shut down now ("injury is worse than we thought") JD could find a buyer believing Gase/lack of weapons is why he sucks.  Trotting him out there and having him keep seeing ghosts keeps exposing him and only lowers his value.  

Well we would have to assume a couple of things.  Darnold sucks and/or Gase sucks.  Shutting him down would fall clearly under the Gase sucks camp, but he already has lowered his value.  Look at someone like Bell or Crowder in trade discussions, amount to nothing even with the notion that Gase sucks.  

If we fix the Gase issue with an offensive coach and a true No. 1 WR (I'd love to see Allen Robinson, but I'm not sure the Bears won't franchise tag him) and see him compete.  It wouldn't hinder me from taking Lawrence/Fields but it allows us time to develop them.  If we think he sucks, I'm sure the smart organizations that would be interested in him like the Steelers/Saints would feel the same way.  If they see something in him that we don't, wouldn't that say more towards our coaching inability than a lack of talent?  

It almost doesn't matter what Sam does with Gase, unless he goes lights out the next 7 games because the core of the issue would always lead to Gase.  I think that's part of the reason why Gase isn't fired, because Darnold's value doesn't tank under a new coach.  Fix the Gase issue, and then it's all about fixing the trade value.  If a team thinks enough of Darnold to spend a 2nd rd pick, they see some form of potential that we aren't tapping into.  

Look I could be wrong, heck I thought he'd improve this year.  But at least my line of thinking would be the reward for having him rebuild his value can be monumental.  

There's no dilemma, Lawrence is the Week 1 starter. I'll be happy if someone gives us a 3rd for Darnold.

What may end up happening is a situation similar to Bridgewater's when he was here. Say no one wants to meet JD's price tag in the offseason but Douglas won't cave and give away Darnold for nothing. He'll hold him into the preseason and when a team 1) suffers a season-ending injury to their starter 2) realizes how bad their QB situation is and all of a sudden Darnold looks more appealing. I have faith in Douglas handling Darnold's exit.

16 hours ago, slimjasi said:

He's not passing on Trever Lawrence. 

Should we not get the top pick, I could see him passing on Fields (which, I believe would be a mistake). But, if we are picking number 1 and Lawrence is there to be had, he's going to be a Jet. 

Agree.  Only other scenario I see happening is Lawrence doing an Eli Manning.  In which case the jets would get a massive haul

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

JD moved on from Darnold before the off-season started.  That decision was made long ago.

What they end up doing at QB is still a ? and will depend on draft position.  Darnold will be traded for the best offer - he will not be a Jet.

I think it's more like JD was stuck with Gase and Donald so be built the team as best he could around those two and let the season play out.  Did JD make a misstep or two, sure, they all do, but overall he's building the team.

As of today I think he'd like to see Gase and Donald gone but may or may not have the authority to make it so.  Come FA and the draft, he'll work with what he's got and continue building correctly.     

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Agree.  Only other scenario I see happening is Lawrence doing an Eli Manning.  In which case the jets would get a massive haul

Why would we get a draft haul?

The last precedent for a situation like everyone describes is Eli/Rivers. The chargers were picking 1 and the Giants 4 in the 2004 draft  

SD wound up with a 2004 3rd, and a 2005 first and a 2005 5th. That is an excellent Return for still getting the 2nd best QB in the draft. 

JD would need to play a similar game with Jacksonville and Lawerence by using a team like Washington to ensure he got Jacksonville’s other first to swap so he could still get fields. I don’t see him risking moving outside of the top 3 and having to settle for Trey Lance or Zach Wilson, it just seems like too risky of a proposition. 

Getting a 2021 first and any other pick would be great,  Fields Himself would be the “haul“

16 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

LOL - got to love this board. Got take Sam, I mean TL. Suck for Sam, and Tank for Trevor. This is how bad franchises are maintained. Rinse repeat. People don't want to wait for the rebuild, but are eager to extend the sh*tty franchise.

If we get the #1 pick and you can trade TL for a boat load of picks you have to consider it. List the greatest sure fire QBs and the best and see how many of them had a Super Bowl win. Then list the mediocre QBs like Eli that won 1 or more. Then ask yourself what is the reason.

Luck was often injured because the line couldn't protect him; and he had no defense.

Marino never won the big game.

Elway only won the big game towards the end of his career - wouldn't last 4 seasons on the Jets :-)

Peyton won in the end on a great team that just needed a descent QB.

Brady's first SB he was basically carried.

Brady was a 6th round pick; Maholmes wasn't in the top of the draft.

The other thing to note is how much better the Jets looked when they had some real weapons. Consider what 2 extra firsts, and 2 extra 2nds could do to build a. team; not to mention we would still have a top 1st this year to as well. You have to see the whole picture not just the one player. While the QB is the most important position, it is still a team sport. Consider the flip side, we draft TL and he gets broken because the bad protection and lack of weapons and never wins it all (ala Luck).

If you are at #1 and aren't given a can't miss deal, yeah, you draft the guy; but you don't turn down the world for one player. It never works out. Besides, you can always bundle some picks in the following year or 2 for the next big QB.

We act like it takes an all pro team to develop a good young qb. With an extra first and a good LT in place we don’t have to have some bonanza of picks to turn this  team around. It would help but it’s not essential. Take Lawrence. Draft an interior OL with the second draft pick, a skill player at the top of the second. Or flip that depending on the board. And maybe invest the two thirds into the offense again depending on the board. This idea that offense will be unchanged if draft Lawrence is a foolish narrative. 

17 hours ago, Untouchable said:

The only way Darnold is still on this roster after April is if the Jets win 2-3 games and pick outside the Top 2.

That’s literally it

Otherwise, he’s done here.

Hell, and even if they win a few games, I could see Douglas packaging picks to move up for Lawrence/Fields (even though I’d be against it).

Even if the Jets don't pick a QB at all, there's no reason for Darnold to be here.  Trade him so we can get something out of him, and start either Morgan, Mike White, or sign a veteran bridge QB.

There's 0 scenarios where it makes sense for Darnold to still be on the roster in 2021.

There is no dilemma.  If there is an opportunity to draft a QB with the same or better evaluation as Darnold with 4 years of an inexpensive rookie contract starting in 2021, you do that, regardless of your hope for Darnold in the future.  

To appreciate how sad the Darnold situation is, Tannehill, Mariota and Winston all played under their 5th year options.  I am not feeling the Johnsons doing that for Darnold, even though they do tend to like to hold onto their high draft picks and try and get something for them.  That is how we got into the Mo and SR mess.  

The closest recent comparable to Darnold would be the Bortles extension.  His and Darnold’s first two years were pretty similar, and Bortles got it together a bit and got the Jaguars to the AFCCG.   Bortles signed an extension for 2 extra years after his 5th year option for a bit less than the 5th year option salary per year.  That seems like a good value play, but Jax could not keep the team together after paying Bortles $18mm.  Bortles is now on the Bronco practice squad.  

20 hours ago, addage said:

2.  He decides TL isn't really any better a prospect than SD.  He keeps Darnold and trades the pick for extra draft choices.  Bolsters the roster at OL, WR and RB.  And sends the Jets on their way.

This'll be an Unpopular opinion, but i actually like this option the best.

Darnold doesn't have to be the QB, but trading down for a Trey Lance/Zach Wilson while drafting Sewell with the first pick (whether its 1.01 or elsewhere) is a lot more sensible to me. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if the Jets don't pick a QB at all, there's no reason for Darnold to be here.  Trade him so we can get something out of him, and start either Morgan, Mike White, or sign a veteran bridge QB.

There's 0 scenarios where it makes sense for Darnold to still be on the roster in 2021.

This scenario literally has zero chance of occurring.  You’re suggesting JD can trade Sam for whatever, he will then pass on all the top QB prospects and sign a vet JAG?  So we’re gonna roll into 2021 with 2 QBs that have never taken an NFL snap and some random bridge Qb after dumping a top 3 pick and ignoring all the top prospects?  Just to get Sam outta here?

I’m not sure what Darnold has done to you but this personal vendetta you seem to have against him is getting a bit old.  Lots of posters think he sucks and it’s time to move on, that’s fine.  I’m sure you’re in that camp too, and I don’t mean to single you out.  But to suggest what you did is just crazy talk.

3 minutes ago, Rob Moore said:

This scenario literally has zero chance of occurring.  You’re suggesting JD can trade Sam for whatever, he will then pass on all the top QB prospects and sign a vet JAG?  So we’re gonna roll into 2021 with 2 QBs that have never taken an NFL snap and some random bridge Qb after dumping a top 3 pick and ignoring all the top prospects?  Just to get Sam outta here?

I’m not sure what Darnold has done to you but this personal vendetta you seem to have against him is getting a bit old.  Lots of posters think he sucks and it’s time to move on, that’s fine.  I’m sure you’re in that camp too, and I don’t mean to single you out.  But to suggest what you did is just crazy talk.

I'm not saying Douglas will, or should pass on any of the QB's.  I absolutely think he will draft a QB at some point in the 2021 class, making this all a moot point.

My point is that Darnold's presence on the roster in 2021 should not be contingent on which QB or QB's Douglas adds this offseason.  Trading him rather than letting him walk in FA for nothing is the only option.

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

Why would we get a draft haul?

SD wound up with a 2004 3rd, and a 2005 first and a 2005 5th. That is an excellent Return for still getting the 2nd best QB in the draft. 

None of the QB prospects in the '04 draft were on the level of Lawrence, plus that was eons ago in terms of how front offices think. We just got two 1sts and a 3rd for Jamal Adams, it's going to take quite a bit more than that to get a generational QB talent at the top of the draft.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So your plan is to pay Sam Darnold over 25 million dollars in 2022.

25 million+.  For Sam Darnold.  lmao.

Yes, I would, with the intention that he's not playing here in 2022.  If he improves, that is extra draft picks galore.  If he doesn't, he's an expensive back up.  Even in the worst case scenario, a guy like Marcus Mariota got a contract, and that is with going backwards.  

The 5th year option might be a bit different this year as well, it's not based on draft slot.  I think it's based on Pro-Bowls and playing time, so it may fall under 25 million, unlike the past.  

I just don't see the point of trading him low, when we all think Gase was an issue with development.  

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

Yes, I would, with the intention that he's not playing here in 2022.  If he improves, that is extra draft picks galore.  If he doesn't, he's an expensive back up.  Even in the worst case scenario, a guy like Marcus Mariota got a contract, and that is with going backwards.  

The 5th year option might be a bit different this year as well, it's not based on draft slot.  I think it's based on Pro-Bowls and playing time, so it may fall under 25 million, unlike the past.  

I just don't see the point of trading him low, when we all think Gase was an issue with development.  

No one is trading for Darnold if he comes with a $25M+ price tag in 2022.  Nobody.  That would tank his trade value. 

He's the worst starting QB in the league and you think some team out there, who would be trading for him to be their "project QB", wants to give up draft capital AND pay him like QB15, even for a year?  No chance.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one is trading for Darnold if he comes with a $25M+ price tag in 2022.  Nobody.  That would tank his trade value. 

He's the worst starting QB in the league and you think some team out there, who would be trading for him to be their "project QB", wants to give up draft capital AND pay him like QB15, even for a year?  No chance.

By that logic, no one is trading for him without that contract extension either.  If he's the worst QB in the league, they aren't paying high draft picks to get walk year Darnold.  Essentially they'd be paying draft picks, plus free agent money to "fix him".  It's better off if we could show that he's fixed, because if he becomes even average, people will pay up in draft picks.  

The key is of course if you believe that Gase is holding Darnold back, or if Darnold is holding Gase back.  If it's a combination of the two, then you expect improvement when one is removed from the equation, therefore increasing his value.  

9 minutes ago, win4ever said:

By that logic, no one is trading for him without that contract extension either. 

No, that makes no sense.  A team who wants him will see how he does in 2021 as a project type QB2 and then negotiate to pay him a fair value for a QB2 if they want him back.  They won't want to be locked into paying him like a starter in 2022.    

He's not a starting QB, he's a reclamation project for a team who already has an established starter.  No one wants to pay a backup anything more than the kind of money Ryan Fitzpatrick gets.

On 11/10/2020 at 4:05 PM, slimjasi said:

He's not passing on Trever Lawrence. 

Should we not get the top pick, I could see him passing on Fields (which, I believe would be a mistake). But, if we are picking number 1 and Lawrence is there to be had, he's going to be a Jet. 

It has to be TANK FOR TREVOR OR BUST.  This is MONUMENTAL and they MUST NOT SCREW IT UP.  

I do like Fields and agree that he is clearly talented, but I don't want anything to do with a running/athletic QB.  Too risky.  Even big men like Cam Newton and Josh Allen will get their asses handed to them and wear down over time.  A QB needs to win with his arm.  Defenders are too fast and big to have your franchise centerpiece in harm's way.  

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, that makes no sense.  A team who wants him will see how he does in 2021 as a project type QB2 and then negotiate to pay him a fair value for a QB2 if they want him back.  They won't want to be locked into paying him like a starter in 2022.    

He's not a starting QB, he's a reclamation project for a team who already has an established starter.  No one wants to pay a backup anything more than the kind of money Ryan Fitzpatrick gets.

And what are we getting from a project type QB in a trade they are evaluating?  Ryan Tannehill I believe went for a 4th round pick, and they had to throw in a 6th round pick (Got a 7th back), after tanking his value with Gase.  He reclaimed his value last year and got a major contract extension.  I think teams would pay up draft picks for him now if he's guaranteed under contract.  

His 5th year option is likely to be around 20 million instead of 25 million+ due to CBA changes.  His age, plus potential, would make a trade more desirable if he actually proves to be good.  This whole idea hinges on the fact that he can actually improve if/when Gase leaves town.  If he sucks without Gase, then the whole thing falls apart.  

We can just agree to disagree because we're going in circles and not like it has an impact on the actual roster decisions.  I would pick up the option because the risk is worth it to me.  I'm presuming you wouldn't.  I don't consider myself right and you wrong, just my opinion.  We'll see how it plays out I guess.  

8 minutes ago, win4ever said:

And what are we getting from a project type QB in a trade they are evaluating?  Ryan Tannehill I believe went for a 4th round pick, and they had to throw in a 6th round pick (Got a 7th back), after tanking his value with Gase.  He reclaimed his value last year and got a major contract extension.  I think teams would pay up draft picks for him now if he's guaranteed under contract.  

His 5th year option is likely to be around 20 million instead of 25 million+ due to CBA changes.  His age, plus potential, would make a trade more desirable if he actually proves to be good.  This whole idea hinges on the fact that he can actually improve if/when Gase leaves town.  If he sucks without Gase, then the whole thing falls apart.  

We can just agree to disagree because we're going in circles and not like it has an impact on the actual roster decisions.  I would pick up the option because the risk is worth it to me.  I'm presuming you wouldn't.  I don't consider myself right and you wrong, just my opinion.  We'll see how it plays out I guess.  

I think a 4th round pick would be very possible/likely compensation for Darnold.  I would be very happy with a late 2nd/3rd if we can get it, but I'm certainly not counting on it.  

It's not just about what a GM thinks about Darnold's potential.  It's about having 1 year left on his rookie deal.  And any GM trading for Darnold would want to be the one to make the decision on Darnold's 5th year option.  Exercising it ourselves and THEN trying to trade him would not be wise.  Let the GM taking him on make that call.   That deadline isn't until May 3rd, so we can afford to wait as long as the day of the draft to make the trade happen under those parameters.

24 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

It has to be TANK FOR TREVOR OR BUST.  This is MONUMENTAL and they MUST NOT SCREW IT UP.  

I do like Fields and agree that he is clearly talented, but I don't want anything to do with a running/athletic QB.  Too risky.  Even big men like Cam Newton and Josh Allen will get their asses handed to them and wear down over time.  A QB needs to win with his arm.  Defenders are too fast and big to have your franchise centerpiece in harm's way.  

Fields isn't a running QB.  He's an excellent passer who can also run.  This is what you're missing out on by trying to categorize him.  He's arguably a better thrower/passer than Trevor Lawrence himself.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fields isn't a running QB.  He's an excellent passer who can also run.  This is what you're missing out on by trying to categorize him.  He's arguably a better thrower/passer than Trevor Lawrence himself.

I have not seen a lot of Fields.  I've just heard the pundits refer to him as a "double threat" and a guy that can do it with his legs.   

If he can pass as well as Lawrence, he's special.

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I have not seen a lot of Fields.  I've just heard the pundits refer to him as a "double threat" and a guy that can do it with his legs.   

If he can pass as well as Lawrence, he's special.

Yes, he can do it with his legs, but that's absolutely not ALL he can do.  For pete's sake, thru 3 games, he has more touchdowns (11) than incompletions (9) this season, and he's not doing it against dregs.  

Dual threat QB's are the way of the NFL now.  It's time to get used to it.  

On 11/10/2020 at 4:00 PM, addage said:

JD faces a massive decision this spring.  (At least I hope he is making the decision--not the Johnson's and not somebody new).

1.  He can decide that Trevor Lawrence is the greatest thing since sliced bread and draft him with the the #1 overall pick.  He trades SD for a loaf of stale bread feed same to boo birds.

2.  He decides TL isn't really any better a prospect than SD.  He keeps Darnold and trades the pick for extra draft choices.  Bolsters the roster at OL, WR and RB.  And sends the Jets on their way.

3.  He tells SD that he believes in him, but he has to sign a team friendly contract now.  If not, he will draft a qb even though he thinks they are about the same in athletic ability.  The new qb comes at a cheaper price.  JD has a lot of time on his deal and he can use it to build more slowly.  AS above, he can feed the stale bread to the boo birds.

4.  He can draft TL but let him sit for the start of the season.  SD starts as qb for 2021.  He really focuses all resources to bolster the O (letting the D sit in poor state) as in case 2.  He show cases SD and trades him for higher value.  He also can decide that SD is a keeper (if that's how it plays out).  Then he trades TL for players/picks.

Life as a GM is tough--though well paid.  His reputation as a GM certainly will be set by his decisions this spring.

#3 is a close replica of the 2012 offseason, except we didn't have the #1 overall pick: extend Sanchez to a "team friendly" deal that's only team-friendly if he wasn't garbage, and opt to not draft a QB. Instead, use that 2nd rounder (and a 4th and a 7th) to move up to surround him with Stephen Hill.

In the upcoming two offseasons, this team isn't lacking the picks & cap space requisite to surround the QB with real upgrades - and still have enough left over to improve the defense - even if they were docked the #1 overall pick. 

There's no decision here. You take Lawrence if he's willing to play here. You take the best pick someone will offer for Darnold and use that to help build a team around Lawrence, not using the #1 pick to build around Darnold. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, TheMo said:

We act like it takes an all pro team to develop a good young qb. With an extra first and a good LT in place we don’t have to have some bonanza of picks to turn this  team around. It would help but it’s not essential. Take Lawrence. Draft an interior OL with the second draft pick, a skill player at the top of the second. Or flip that depending on the board. And maybe invest the two thirds into the offense again depending on the board. This idea that offense will be unchanged if draft Lawrence is a foolish narrative. 

Sure, we can throw more picks at the offense, but i am saying that a boatload of picks will make a much better team. Both sides. The question isn't can you do it without the boat load of picks, but what is the best decision a shot a the best qb in a decade and building a team slowly with the picks we have, or build a much better team quickly and then plug a qb in. It is also a question of how long it will take to build the team and do you ruin the qb or just waste the first 3 years on the cheap building the team.

The real question isn't can you, but should you? Yes you could draft interior OL in second if there are any good ones. Or, you could draft the best WR in the draft and maybe a RT in the 1st. Can still draft interior linemen OL, or get them next year with one of the 3 1sts we would have. Think about it 2 1sts on something other than QB, and 3 1sts the next year on the same. Plus likely another 2nd this year; than you can spend the 2 1sts in the third year on a QB, if in the very likely event Sam isn't the guy. You can use 2 next year as well, and still have a third 1st. Either way, the team would have way more talent overall.

The beauty of this argument is if we don't get the bonanza of picks, we can still draft TL.

43 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Sure, we can throw more picks at the offense, but i am saying that a boatload of picks will make a much better team. Both sides. The question isn't can you do it without the boat load of picks, but what is the best decision a shot a the best qb in a decade and building a team slowly with the picks we have, or build a much better team quickly and then plug a qb in. It is also a question of how long it will take to build the team and do you ruin the qb or just waste the first 3 years on the cheap building the team.

The real question isn't can you, but should you? Yes you could draft interior OL in second if there are any good ones. Or, you could draft the best WR in the draft and maybe a RT in the 1st. Can still draft interior linemen OL, or get them next year with one of the 3 1sts we would have. Think about it 2 1sts on something other than QB, and 3 1sts the next year on the same. Plus likely another 2nd this year; than you can spend the 2 1sts in the third year on a QB, if in the very likely event Sam isn't the guy. You can use 2 next year as well, and still have a third 1st. Either way, the team would have way more talent overall.

The beauty of this argument is if we don't get the bonanza of picks, we can still draft TL.

The QB is still the most important position and you have to get the right to truly maximize the potential of the other positions. Get Lawrence a good coach and a a few more pieces and he’ll develop just fine. 

On 11/10/2020 at 4:53 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

Dilemma? 

Sam as a 3rd year Quarterback is ranked as the 32nd rated QB (dead last) in Quarterback Rating. 

Would you like to see which other QBs have been rated dead last during their respected year(s)?

Because it isn't pretty...

Single Season QB Ratings of QBs who were ranked 32nd and dead last dating back to 2000 of 20 years ago.

Sam Darnold: 65.9 (2020).
Andy Dalton: 78.3 (2019).
Josh Rosen: 66.7 (2018).
DeShone Kizer: 60.5 (2017).
Ryan Fitzpatrick: 69.6 (2016).
Ryan Mallett: 67.9 (2015).
Blake Bortles: 69.5 (2014).
Geno Smith: 66.5 (2013).
Matt Cassel: 66.7 (2012).
Blaine Gabbert: 65.4 (2011).
Jimmy Clausen: 58.4 (2010).
Jamarcus Russell: 50.0 (2009).
Derek Anderson: 66.5 (2008).
Kellen Clemens: 60.9 (2007).
Andrew Walter: 55.8 (2006).
Kyle Orton: 59.7 (2005).
AJ Feeley: 61.7 (2004).
Kordell Stewart: 56.8 (2003).
Joey Harrington: 59.9 (2002).
Jon Kitna: 61.1 (2001).
Ryan Leaf: 56.2 (2000).

Dilemma? What "dilemma"?

Where oh where are they now lol?

When you're in your 3rd year and still ranked 32nd and dead last amongst all NFL QB's and way behind even Rookie QB's?

There is no "dilemma"; it becomes a NO BRAINIER...

Of that list the only qb that kinda turned his career around is Fitz.  There is hope for Darnold after all!! 

8 hours ago, predator_05 said:

This'll be an Unpopular opinion, but i actually like this option the best.

Darnold doesn't have to be the QB, but trading down for a Trey Lance/Zach Wilson while drafting Sewell with the first pick (whether its 1.01 or elsewhere) is a lot more sensible to me. 

I know it is very early but how long do you see those two lasting?  After combines and work outs, not to mention rest of Wilsons season, both of those guys could also be top 10 picks.  I would not want to trade down past 5.  I may be in the minority but I really like Trey Lance.  Problem with him is his lack of experience so I don't see him starting right away.   The bottom line however, is TL, Fields, Lance or Wilson are all probably better options at quarterback than Sam at this point.  

On 11/10/2020 at 7:24 PM, Icer said:

Sunk cost is the reason why bad teams stick with Christian Hackenberg over Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes

Also the reason why smart teams have Kyler Murray and not Josh Rosen

If you can get The Guy, you cut bait and don't look back. Lawrence is The Guy.