I think I see light at the end of the tunnel?

NYJ1

The reason why a Trevor Lawrence or someone like that doesn't want to come to NY is because everyone tells them they'll never have a chance to succeed. They tell them that they (Jets) SUCK at drafting, have no idea what to do in FA, and never give any young QB a chance at succeeding because they surround a young QB with the worst supporting cast, that they set you up for failure. That's what everyone is telling Trevor right now.

However, the wild card and unknown factor is JOE DOUGLAS. The critics can say what they want about Woody and his terrible hiring decisions, they can criticize Adam Gase as a HC. Everyone knows he's a train wreck. But as much as they talk they know NOTHING about Joe Douglas and his ability to change all of these very damming factors? He's an unknown commodity with a nice resume of learning under the right people.

Don't look now but Douglas's draft has the potential of yielding about 4 or 5 starters? Let's be objective as to why.... Partly because the Jets roster sucks so bad and has no one to compete with these rookies for starting dibs. Although you could also just as easily say those young draft choices are becoming decent players. I think it's both.

With that said, the Jets are looking at the first decent draft that they've had since probably about 2007. Joe Douglas can sell what HE, specifically, has done to help the Jets organization. What he needs to do is take more control. Woody needs to fire Adam Gase after the season and relinquish control of hiring the HC. That should be Joe Douglas's responsibility. Woody's responsibility should be signing checks and signing checks alone. Joe Douglas needs to hire the next HC. He needs to hire a great young HC candidate that he can sell to the critics and highly touted players agents, etc. He has a great resume and one good draft to boast.

Then Joe Douglas MUST continue drafting well. That's the only way any of this continues? It's of paramount importance that Douglas continues to do well at his job. With time the critics see young, talented players being developed by the Jets and have no choice but to admit things are changing for the better in NY.

So when an opportunity comes along to draft a young superstar talent like Lawrence, Joe Douglas and the Jets can show evidence of an excellent environment that fosters confidence and winning. The organization essentially sells itself.

And I think it's possible we're starting to see that? Mix in optimistically say 1 or 2 players in FA, and another 3 players; starters in the draft and we SHOULD start to see the very beginning of a respectable team?

• Upvote 2

Trevor Lawrence saw the 0-8 New York Jets take the Patriots (coached by probably a top 5 head coach in the history of the NFL & a 1st ballot Hall of Famer) right to the last 3 seconds of the game. 

This is the NFL, things change quickly. You don't think his agent knows Joe Douglas is in charge & Maccagnan who created the mess he's cleaning up was kicked to the curb last year? I'm sure Lawrence knows who Becton is, Mims, Perine, CJ Mosely, QW. No matter what happens in these last 7 games score wise, the only thing that really matters is these young guys developing & making some plays. Trevor Lawrence isn't some wall flower without a backbone, the dude is a confident winner who has lost 1 game in his entire career while playing QB. He'd look like a complete pussy trying to avoid playing in NY, but instead would cement his legacy by going somewhere & being part of building a winner in the biggest City in the country. Look what Joe Namath has done from 1 Super Bowl? The dude is still doing commercials today! Trevor Lawrence has the charisma to take New York by storm, and a successful Jets team is tremendous for the popularity of the NFL. It raises interest in New England & Miami again if the AFC East is a dogfight when you include the Bills. 

Now I agree, if Maccagnan was still here all bets would be off 5 years into his failure. The Douglas era has really just begun.

• Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

The reason why a Trevor Lawrence or someone like that doesn't want to come to NY is because

And you know this how exactly?  When has TL ever said he doesnt want to go anywhere?  How does TL even know the Jets will have the number 1 with half a season left to play?  

Fact is hes never said a word about the Jets, the media is having fun with he is and some fans just want to run with it as if its a thing right now

If it happens that we pick first, they'll be a new HC offering the usual bit of excitement to the fanbase, they'll be tons of articles about the prospects of picks and cap space available to the Jets, articles discussing how quick a turnaround thats possible with that amount of flexibility in the NFL.  

And as we've mostly said, if that scares TL, the Justin Fiellds era should be up next

OP, I sure hope you are right! A lot of pieces still need to fall into place:

1)  Everyone is assumes we are picking #1 or #2 in the draft. While our chances are good, it's not a done deal.

2) While JD's draft is looking better all the time, more time is needed to see how some of these players develop. Most importantly, how will his draft and FA acquisitions be this year and next?

3) Who will be our next HC?

I see the tunnel, but there is no light at the end of it... yet.

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you know this how exactly?  When has TL ever said he doesnt want to go anywhere?  How does TL even know the Jets will have the number 1 with half a season left to play?  

Fact is hes never said a word about the Jets, the media is having fun with he is and some fans just want to run with it as if its a thing right now

If it happens that we pick first, they'll be a new HC offering the usual bit of excitement to the fanbase, they'll be tons of articles about the prospects of picks and cap space available to the Jets, articles discussing how quick a turnaround thats possible with that amount of flexibility in the NFL.  

And as we've mostly said, if that scares TL, the Justin Fiellds era should be up next

Well, if you want to split hairs then have at it. But he's being advised by hall of fame QB's, veterans of the NFL, people that know the very most about how the NFL works....

They all seem to be telling Trevor to avoid going to the Jets at all costs. Who knows if he'll heed their advice?

19 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

OP, I sure hope you are right! A lot of pieces still need to fall into place:

1)  Everyone is assumes we are picking #1 or #2 in the draft. While our chances are good, it's not a done deal.

2) While JD's draft is looking better all the time, more time is needed to see how some of these players develop. Most importantly, how will his draft and FA acquisitions be this year and next?

3) Who will be our next HC?

I see the tunnel, but there is no light at the end of it... yet.

There was light as soon as Maccagnan was fired! Hell, if they hired Joe Willy from this site the fan base would be excited, but I digress. 

They hired a football guy. Douglas is a football guy. How long have Jet fans been saying this? HIRE A FOOTBALL GUY! 

The Eagles didn't want Joe Douglas to leave. The Texans probably would have given us draft picks to TAKE MIKE MACCAGNAN! 

I'll tell you this, if I ever run into that f*cking Elf like Charley Casserly I'll give him a piece of my mind! He literally set this franchise back 8 years pushing Maccagnan on the dopey Johnson Brothers. Again, no questions from these dopes like, "did Maccagnan have anything to do with David Carr getting killed?". Morons. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

And just FTR, I don't want anything to do with Justin Fields? Ohio State has a great, awesome, stupendous QB every season. All of them go very high. Yet ALL of them never pan out in the NFL. 

May I suggest that maybe, just maybe, these QB's are ONLY successful at OSU? That the system they have set up is very conducive to success.

May I suggest that very system DOES NOT teach young kids how to be good QB's at the next level? 

I mean there must be a good reason why so many QB's from OSU specifically flame out in the NFL?

31 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Well, if you want to split hairs then have at it. But he's being advised by hall of fame QB's, veterans of the NFL, people that know the very most about how the NFL works....

They all seem to be telling Trevor to avoid going to the Jets at all costs. Who knows if he'll heed their advice?

He’s had three bring up or discuss the option of pulling this maneuver.  They’re not advising his.  His agent will advise him differently.  DSanders?  A clown as a player and 2 other players?  It’s happened before, this isn’t new or unique 

20 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

And just FTR, I don't want anything to do with Justin Fields? Ohio State has a great, awesome, stupendous QB every season. All of them go very high. Yet ALL of them never pan out in the NFL. 

May I suggest that maybe, just maybe, these QB's are ONLY successful at OSU? That the system they have set up is very conducive to success.

May I suggest that very system DOES NOT teach young kids how to be good QB's at the next level? 

I mean there must be a good reason why so many QB's from OSU specifically flame out in the NFL?

Lol, this logic is dumb. First of all, Fields is a better OSU QB prospect than any of the ones that flamed out previously. Secondly, you can make this argument for any school as well. Fact is, most QB's that come into the NFL don't pan out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Fields isn’t a new, out of nowhere prospect.  They’ve been 1&2 since HS.  When Fields was at Ga.  now at Ohio.  And the Clemson team and program doesn’t help QBs?

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Lol, this logic is dumb. First of all, Fields is a better OSU QB prospect than any of the ones that flamed out previously. Secondly, you can make this argument for any school as well. Fact is, most QB's that come into the NFL don't pan out. 

Yeah, especially ones that play for OSU. If you like the guy? That's your prerogative. It's also my prerogative to air on the side of caution and keep Sam Darnold and draft TREVOR LAWRENCE if he'll have us....

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Come on man. 

QB is the hardest position to play within all of sports and because of that, every NCAA college program produces NFL busts @ the QB position (and I bet you can not name me 1 NCAA Football Program that hasn't). 

Should K.C not have drafted Patrick Mahomes, all because the likes of former Texas Tech QBs such as B.J Symons, Kliff Kingsbury, Billy Joe Tolliver and/or Ron Reeves never made an NFL pro bowl since dating back to the early 80's?

Should Green Bay not have drafted Aaron Rodgers, all because the likes of former California University QBs (who came before him) such as Kyle Boller, Pat Barnes, David Barr Jr and/or Mike Pawlawski never amounted to anything on an NFL level since dating back to the early 90's?

And should our New York Jets not draft and pass on Trevor Lawrence, all because A.)  Deshaun Watson is currently 2-6 during his 4th NFL season and/or B.) all because the likes of former Clemson QBs such as Tajh Boyd, Charlie Whitehurst, Woodrow Dantzler and/or Steve Fuller all flamed out and accomplished absolutely nothingness on an NFL level? 

With that said? If the NFL were to pass up on college kid QB's all because of which NCAA schools they went to or the alumni failures who came before them; the NFL would currently be deprived of some awesome QB's such as Tom Brady (Michigan), Russell Wilson (Wisconsin), Ben Roethlisberger (Miami of Ohio), Lamar Jackson (Louisville), Joe Burrow (LSU), Deshaun Watson (Clemson), Dak Prescott (Mississippi State) etc. etc (and the list goes on and on).

And in closing, believe it or not; but Purdue is tied for first with Alabama in producing Super Bowl winning quarterbacks. According to ESPN.com, Purdue QBs have won (and started) more NFL games than any other school; thrown for the most touchdowns and yards in the NFL history... Does that mean we should pass on Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields for the next PURDUE QB? Laughable. 

lol and suddenly you (hopefully) realize, understand and comprehend how naive it is to write off Justin Fields all because of "Ohio State" when he's by far the most talented and greatest Ohio State QB who's ever lived to play the game (statistically speaking in terms of pound for pound production)...

• Upvote 1