Another Mock Draft

JXN_JET

Ok guys,

This is my second mock draft. I'm honestly addicted to these things. Anyways, the mindset of this draft is what is best for the future of this franchise long term. I think you can see this with my first move.

TL is projected as the best QB prospect since Luck. I get it, how could the Jets pass on this guy. But with the Jags (computer generated offer) offers picks 2, 22, 34 along with 2022 1st and 2nd, you almost have to take that. There are so many holes on this team, and the real question isnt TL vs Fields, its TL and the picks we have now or Fields in addition to what the Jags are offering. This ultimately will come down to what JD decides but I went ahead and took the offer.

Now I'll try to do a quick rundown of the picks and why I selected them.

Pick 2: Justin Fields (QB OSU) - Time has probably run out for SD. We look to reset the clock and select the best QB prospect available at number 2. Would probably be QB1 most years. 

Pick 22: Wyatt Davis (OG OSU) - The best Guard prospect in this draft. This man is legit and it helps us in the interior. Day one starter. Has familiarity with Fields.

Pick 26: Patrick Jones (EDGE Pitt) - Kind of a reach at 26 but the Jets should look to upgrade on the edge. The man has 8 sacks in 8 games. He is having his best season yet. 

Pick 33: Travis Etienne (RB Clemson) - Needs no introduction. Best RB in this draft. Might not be here at 33. If not, Najee Harris (RB Bama) wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

Pick 34: Chris Olave (WR OSU) - Best receiver at 34. Good height, will need to add mass in the league. Also has familiarity with Fields.

Pick 65: Jaycee Horn (CB USCe) - First corner we take. Has skyrocketed up a lot of draft boards. Might be a stretch that he's still here at 65.

Pick 89: Josh Myers  (OC OSU) - As I'm writing this, I did not realize how many OSU guys I took. Anyways, familiarity with Fields. If he looks legit, maybe move McGovern to guard.

Pick 96: Tamorrion Terry (WR FSU) - Redzone option (6'4, 209). 1000 yard receiver in 2019. Struggling this season, but that has more to do with how awful FSU is. 

Pick 128: Walker Little (OT Stanford) - I remember last year he was getting first round buzz. Has fallen on a lot of boards. Took a flier. Would be awesome if he could be better than Fant. If not depth.

Pick 141: Jacoby Stevens (SS/OLB LSU) - Traded down with Broncos from 131 to 141 and added 172. Projected SS in the league, could be someone we use in the box to stop the run. I like Davis/Maye but they are better in coverage.

Pick 160: Josh Jobe (CB Bama) - More of a project player, would love to see the competition between Austin, Hall, Horn, and Jobe. Best two win.

Pick 172: Ventrell Miller (LB Florida) - Maybe could be a rotational piece at LB. Best you could really hope for at this late of a pick

Pick 216 Khyiris Tonga (DT BYU) - I know, not another DT. But this man is massive and DT is a position that works best when you can rotate guys in.

2022: 3 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds.

Draft does not include what we could get in SD trade.

Let me know what you guys think.

11-11 pt1.png

11-11 pt2.png

• Upvote 2

Hard to argue with the trade when youre adding all of that.  I may replace the Edge with another WR or TE option if there was someone there.  I think this draft you can sprinkle in some defensive players, but its about fixing this offense for the long term.  This trade provides the ammo to fix the offense this year and then have a loaded draft for next year to fix the defense.  

Overall I wouldnt mind this, I think you did a crazy job fixing the Line and with the guys taken there is legit a pipeline of excellent prospects to supply the OL for a while. You have 3 potential starters on the OL in that draft, while adding good players on defense and adding some talent around fields.   As i said though I just wish there was some more impact talent added around him. Taking a big time TE or another higher WR to pair with Olave would really upgrade the skill potential of the offense around fields. 

This is an interesting take, because I'm wondering how much Jacksonville will offer if Fields/Lawrence are fairly close.  Lawrence would be better, but what would the Jags value that trade up?  

I love the Terry pick, but he just left FSU.  I have a feeling he might transfer to a college like OSU before going pro now.  I think part of this depends on our off-season.  If we sign Allen Robinson, then I think we go TE or OL instead of WR early.  A guy that I'm infatuated with is Moore from Purdue because he would thrive on underneath routes if we have two legit guys on the outside.  

19 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Hard to argue with the trade when youre adding all of that.  I may replace the Edge with another WR or TE option if there was someone there.  I think this draft you can sprinkle in some defensive players, but its about fixing this offense for the long term.  This trade provides the ammo to fix the offense this year and then have a loaded draft for next year to fix the defense.  

Overall I wouldnt mind this, I think you did a crazy job fixing the Line and with the guys taken there is legit a pipeline of excellent prospects to supply the OL for a while. You have 3 potential starters on the OL in that draft, while adding good players on defense and adding some talent around fields.   As i said though I just wish there was some more impact talent added around him. Taking a big time TE or another higher WR to pair with Olave would really upgrade the skill potential of the offense around fields. 

Yea Im not sure that Jags will be looking to trade up. They are like us and are more than just a qb away from being a good team. I doubt they'd offer what the computer offered unless they really don't like Fields. 

18 hours ago, win4ever said:

This is an interesting take, because I'm wondering how much Jacksonville will offer if Fields/Lawrence are fairly close.  Lawrence would be better, but what would the Jags value that trade up?  

I love the Terry pick, but he just left FSU.  I have a feeling he might transfer to a college like OSU before going pro now.  I think part of this depends on our off-season.  If we sign Allen Robinson, then I think we go TE or OL instead of WR early.  A guy that I'm infatuated with is Moore from Purdue because he would thrive on underneath routes if we have two legit guys on the outside.  

Yea I would love Moore. This WR looks really good too. Should be able to find someone who can produce.

9 hours ago, JXN_JET said:

Yea I would love Moore. This WR looks really good too. Should be able to find someone who can produce.

Yeah, I'm really liking Olave as well.  It'll be interesting as to the choice because of FA.  The Jets need a No. 1 guy, and some could be out there if the cap situation falls like predicted.  Assuming we get an outside guy like Robinson, I'd be interested to know the offensive philosophy moving forward.  We saw Dallas take Lamb, and then essentially rotate guys in the slot, but it seems to have hurt Gallop,  Or do you take the normal slot guy like Moore and fit him into the roster?  

I think the biggest aspect of this depends on the coach.  Clemson runs a lot of short outlets that are great for QBs, while OSU seems to run more RPO based offense, in my limited time watching them.  

With the Seattle pick/Our pick in the second, I would take any of Wallace (who might fall because of injury, I doubt it, but never know), Smith, Moore, Bateman, Marshall Jr, Olave.  My idea is to have one of those guys plus OL.  

It's even more interesting if a trade down happens because we hire a coach that thinks Fields is just as good as Lawrence in their system.  

Terry was my favorite prospect last year, but I'm not sure he is coming out now.  I feel like his value tanked enough that he might be better in an explosive offense and build up his value.  

On 11/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, JXN_JET said:

Ok guys,

This is my second mock draft. I'm honestly addicted to these things. Anyways, the mindset of this draft is what is best for the future of this franchise long term. I think you can see this with my first move.

TL is projected as the best QB prospect since Luck. I get it, how could the Jets pass on this guy. But with the Jags (computer generated offer) offers picks 2, 22, 34 along with 2022 1st and 2nd, you almost have to take that. There are so many holes on this team, and the real question isnt TL vs Fields, its TL and the picks we have now or Fields in addition to what the Jags are offering. This ultimately will come down to what JD decides but I went ahead and took the offer.

Now I'll try to do a quick rundown of the picks and why I selected them.

Pick 2: Justin Fields (QB OSU) - Time has probably run out for SD. We look to reset the clock and select the best QB prospect available at number 2. Would probably be QB1 most years. 

Pick 22: Wyatt Davis (OG OSU) - The best Guard prospect in this draft. This man is legit and it helps us in the interior. Day one starter. Has familiarity with Fields.

Pick 26: Patrick Jones (EDGE Pitt) - Kind of a reach at 26 but the Jets should look to upgrade on the edge. The man has 8 sacks in 8 games. He is having his best season yet. 

Pick 33: Travis Etienne (RB Clemson) - Needs no introduction. Best RB in this draft. Might not be here at 33. If not, Najee Harris (RB Bama) wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

Pick 34: Chris Olave (WR OSU) - Best receiver at 34. Good height, will need to add mass in the league. Also has familiarity with Fields.

Pick 65: Jaycee Horn (CB USCe) - First corner we take. Has skyrocketed up a lot of draft boards. Might be a stretch that he's still here at 65.

Pick 89: Josh Myers  (OC OSU) - As I'm writing this, I did not realize how many OSU guys I took. Anyways, familiarity with Fields. If he looks legit, maybe move McGovern to guard.

Pick 96: Tamorrion Terry (WR FSU) - Redzone option (6'4, 209). 1000 yard receiver in 2019. Struggling this season, but that has more to do with how awful FSU is. 

Pick 128: Walker Little (OT Stanford) - I remember last year he was getting first round buzz. Has fallen on a lot of boards. Took a flier. Would be awesome if he could be better than Fant. If not depth.

Pick 141: Jacoby Stevens (SS/OLB LSU) - Traded down with Broncos from 131 to 141 and added 172. Projected SS in the league, could be someone we use in the box to stop the run. I like Davis/Maye but they are better in coverage.

Pick 160: Josh Jobe (CB Bama) - More of a project player, would love to see the competition between Austin, Hall, Horn, and Jobe. Best two win.

Pick 172: Ventrell Miller (LB Florida) - Maybe could be a rotational piece at LB. Best you could really hope for at this late of a pick

Pick 216 Khyiris Tonga (DT BYU) - I know, not another DT. But this man is massive and DT is a position that works best when you can rotate guys in.

2022: 3 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds.

Draft does not include what we could get in SD trade.

Let me know what you guys think.

11-11 pt1.png

11-11 pt2.png

This is fun to do but the Jags need their draft picks as bad as the Jets do & would just stay where they are at #2 & take Fields themselves. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah this is great and all. But no way we can assume Jags will offer that sweet deal to move up one spot for TL. 

How about a mock with NO TRADES. Then it gets tough. Lots of decisions to make because we have so many holes. As you will see there are no CBs. That's just how the draft turned out. In Rd. 3 I had a choice- take a much needed CB or go with the two prospects that were higher on my board and also filled needs (OT and C). After the 3rd round, yes, I could have taken a CB but there was not much that impressed me and I still had to address Edge and LB. I'd be ecstatic with this draft. I have no problem rolling with Hall, Bless, re-signing Poole and replacing Desir with a different FA at CB.

Here's my attempt:

1 : Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson: No brainer. Best QB prospect in the draft. Potentially the best overall prospect in the draft. 

1.26: DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama: Explosive WR to pair with Mims. Perriman is a FA and the Jets desperately need to add weapons for their new QB. The big OT Cosmi was on the board and was tempting but I went with Smith. 

2 : N. Harris, RB, Alabama: Jets add a bell cow back to take the load off for Lawrence. Etienne was off the board but I really like Harris as well and I actually think his game will transfer really well to the NFL.

3 : Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan: This is the first spot where I got a little lucky. I doubt Mayfield falls this far and I wanted to go O-line. He's a bit raw but is a big, powerful OT with quick feet who could step right in and compete for the RT position.

3: Josh Myers, C, Ohio State: One of the top C prospects in this draft class. He can back up McGovern and learn from him before being his eventual successor or McGovern can move to G and Myers can step ight in and start if he looks good in camp. Either way, another selection to solidify the O-line for years to come.  

4 :  Chris Rumph II, Edge, Duke: Speedy OLB/Edge rusher. Rumph is more of an OLB than DE and I see him being a situational pass rusher at the NFL level. But his speed and ability to get the QB is undeniable and that is what the Jets need. Jenkins is a FA, so is Basham and Hewitt.  

5. Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah: ILB/OLB: Athletic, versatile LB. I love Lloyd because he can cover, run sideline to sideline, get after the passer and do just about whatever you ask him to. I think the Jets will let a number of FA LBs walk and will need to bring in some talent via the draft. 

5. Shaka Toney, DE/Edge, Penn State: Developmental DE/Edge. I love this guy's measurables. he could be a star some day but clearly has a long way to go to develop into that type of player. The Jets need guys that can get to the passer and this is a good spot to take a developmental guy who become that guy for them. 

6: Tommy Kraemer, OG, Notre Dame: Not sure why Kraemer is available so late. He was ranked much higher last year. Has experience playing OT and OG. Solid player. Would serve as depth on the O-line. 

7. Trevon Grimes, WR, Florida: BAP. Went with another WR for TL. Grimes has great hands and sneaky speed. Good route runner with good burst. Just a solid all around receiver you can rely on. No huge upside but a pretty high floor. Maybe he develops into the eventual replacement for Crowder. Maybe not. Solid depth either way. 

On 11/16/2020 at 3:52 PM, PepPep said:

Yeah this is great and all. But no way we can assume Jags will offer that sweet deal to move up one spot for TL. 

How about a mock with NO TRADES. Then it gets tough. Lots of decisions to make because we have so many holes. As you will see there are no CBs. That's just how the draft turned out. In Rd. 3 I had a choice- take a much needed CB or go with the two prospects that were higher on my board and also filled needs (OT and C). After the 3rd round, yes, I could have taken a CB but there was not much that impressed me and I still had to address Edge and LB. I'd be ecstatic with this draft. I have no problem rolling with Hall, Bless, re-signing Poole and replacing Desir with a different FA at CB.

Did the same using First-Pick with no trades.  Here's how it went.  If you want to transform the offense, you can't hate this.  I am assuming we will sign a WR1 in FA (Robinson, Godwin or Juju) so I was free to work around that position.  I wanted to take one, but it never seemed like the best pick on the board and with so many other needs, I didn't want to force it.  Besides, Pitts was a very nice consolation prize and should certainly catch some passes.  My hope is that Munford could kick inside to OG where he could be very good.  When in doubt, Badger and Buckeye OL are usually a safe gamble.  Would like to have helped the defense a bit more of course, but can't fix it all in one draft.  Not sure why it missed the 6th round pick so just plug a DB/DE in there.

• Round 1 Pick 1: Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
  • Round 1 Pick 26: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
  • Round 2 Pick 1: Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson
  • Round 3 Pick 1: Josh Myers, C/OG, Ohio State
  • Round 3 Pick 25: Eric Stokes, CB, Georgia
  • Round 4 Pick 1: Chris Rumph, DE/OLB, Duke
  • Round 5 Pick 1: Thayer Munford, OT, Ohio State
  • Round 5 Pick 4: Cole Van Lanen, OT, Wisconsin
  • Round 7 Pick 26: Lorenzo Neal, DT, Purdue

9 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

After the season ends and the draft analysis heats up, I think you will see the rating gap between Lawrence and Fields close with some noteworthy evaluators actually placing Fields ahead of Lawrence based on their belief that he exhibited better decision making and accuracy. 

No. You guys must be smoking green ice crack if you think the Jags will surrender 1st rounders like free turkeys in the ghetto during Thanksgiving.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:52 PM, PepPep said:

Here's my attempt:

1 : Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson: No brainer. Best QB prospect in the draft. Potentially the best overall prospect in the draft. 

1.26: DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama: Explosive WR to pair with Mims. Perriman is a FA and the Jets desperately need to add weapons for their new QB. The big OT Cosmi was on the board and was tempting but I went with Smith. 

2 : N. Harris, RB, Alabama: Jets add a bell cow back to take the load off for Lawrence. Etienne was off the board but I really like Harris as well and I actually think his game will transfer really well to the NFL.

3 : Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan: This is the first spot where I got a little lucky. I doubt Mayfield falls this far and I wanted to go O-line. He's a bit raw but is a big, powerful OT with quick feet who could step right in and compete for the RT position.

3: Josh Myers, C, Ohio State: One of the top C prospects in this draft class. He can back up McGovern and learn from him before being his eventual successor or McGovern can move to G and Myers can step ight in and start if he looks good in camp. Either way, another selection to solidify the O-line for years to come.  

4 :  Chris Rumph II, Edge, Duke: Speedy OLB/Edge rusher. Rumph is more of an OLB than DE and I see him being a situational pass rusher at the NFL level. But his speed and ability to get the QB is undeniable and that is what the Jets need. Jenkins is a FA, so is Basham and Hewitt.  

5. Devin Lloyd, LB, Utah: ILB/OLB: Athletic, versatile LB. I love Lloyd because he can cover, run sideline to sideline, get after the passer and do just about whatever you ask him to. I think the Jets will let a number of FA LBs walk and will need to bring in some talent via the draft. 

5. Shaka Toney, DE/Edge, Penn State: Developmental DE/Edge. I love this guy's measurables. he could be a star some day but clearly has a long way to go to develop into that type of player. The Jets need guys that can get to the passer and this is a good spot to take a developmental guy who become that guy for them. 

6: Tommy Kraemer, OG, Notre Dame: Not sure why Kraemer is available so late. He was ranked much higher last year. Has experience playing OT and OG. Solid player. Would serve as depth on the O-line. 

7. Trevon Grimes, WR, Florida: BAP. Went with another WR for TL. Grimes has great hands and sneaky speed. Good route runner with good burst. Just a solid all around receiver you can rely on. No huge upside but a pretty high floor. Maybe he develops into the eventual replacement for Crowder. Maybe not. Solid depth either way. 

Wow, I had the same 3 picks at the top. I want Allen Robinson as top priority free agent! You should see the compilation of video someone put together of the Bears QBs missing him wide open this year. His numbers would be crazy, the dude gets OPEN! Plus, you draft Devonta Smith, you can bring him along slowly behind Berrios in the slot & cut Crowder (I like Crowder but if you have Smith + Barrios and save 10.5 million on the cap cutting Crowder it's a no brainer!). Then you take that 10.5 million & you use it as a subsidy Bud Dupree who's going to command some coin but pass rushers are worth it. 

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

Wow, I had the same 3 picks at the top. I want Allen Robinson as top priority free agent! You should see the compilation of video someone put together of the Bears QBs missing him wide open this year. His numbers would be crazy, the dude gets OPEN! Plus, you draft Devonta Smith, you can bring him along slowly behind Berrios in the slot & cut Crowder (I like Crowder but if you have Smith + Barrios and save 10.5 million on the cap cutting Crowder it's a no brainer!). Then you take that 10.5 million & you use it as a subsidy Bud Dupree who's going to command some coin but pass rushers are worth it. 

I'd love Robinson, Dupree and Thuney. But they are the best FAs at their position. I think there's potential to get one if the Jets pay top dollar, but not two or three. I'd like Dupree b/c pass rushers are at such a premium. If we can also get Robinson that would be a cherry on top.