If, as seems likely, the Jets have the #1 Draft Pick.....

Sarge4Tide

#1 Pick?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. If, as seems likely, the Jets have the #1 Draft Pick, I would......

• STRONGLY FAVOR drafting the top QB
    • FAVOR drafting the top QB
    • I can see both sides, but I guess I will go with drafting the top QB
    • I can see both sides, but I guess I will go with trading down and compiling picks to build around Darnold
    • FAVOR trading down and compiling picks to build around Darnold
    • STRONGLY FAVOR trading down and compiling picks to build around Darnold

12 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If, as seems likely, the Jets have the #1 Draft Pick, do you draft a QB (Lawrence or Fields) or do you trade down, compile a lot of extra picks, and build around Sam Darnold

Jeez. Where have you been the last couple of years?

We drafted a franchise QB in 2018. He's only 23 years old...

• Haha 1

i'm from missouri, show me.  show me that lawrence is a generational talent.  as i recall parcells had rick mirer ranked above bledsoe.  how'd that work out?  not that either of those guys were on the same level as mahomes or rodgers or brees but they were highly touted and only bledsoe had a career worth writing about.

but if lawrence is the real deal then the jets should pick him if they can.  they can find a place for him.  and they also may have a very different opinion of darnold than we fans.  it's hard to gage because this team has been so crappy in other ways.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

They will take Lawrence as they should.  As a GM I would listen to offers though and if someone went crazy I'd be tempted to trade down.

The part of drafting #1 that gets over looked often is that huge advantage it is to draft at the top of each round.

That's why you killed it in last year's JN mock. That, and your scouting brilliance.?

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There have been a couple times this season where I thought for sure the Jets would screw it all up (Denver game and MNF).  Both times the Jets snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

This is a historically bad team with a historically bad coach.  If this team is going to win 1 game, much less 2, a LOT has to go wrong.  It's very possible that window has passed.  It's also very possible/likely Jacksonville wins a game down the stretch, making it moot.

Even if the Jets DO win 1 game, and Jacksonville loses out, I'll be more than happy with the 2nd pick.  Fields is more than a consolation prize; I think he's every bit as good as Trevor Lawrence.

I don't see any scenario possible where the Jets are picking lower than 2nd.

Agreed, Odds of us landing 1 or 2 gotta be close to 90%. Picking first is still probably only 60% as of now. 

• Upvote 1

For the sake of argument...

Let's say we trade down with the Redskins, as it currently stands, drop down 5 spots, we could seriously repair our team. 

Amazingly, I think people are still underestimating how badly we need an influx of talent.

We could end up with 

2021 - 

1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7 + 90 Mil Cap

2022 - 

1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7 + 50-70 Mil Cap

That's a HELL of a canvas for JD to paint with, a man that has said he wants to build through the draft more times that I can count. 

Imagine a FA with:

Joe Thuney, Allen Robinson, Mo Alie-Cox, Bud Dupree, Mike Hilton 

And then...

The 2021 draft we could have 8 top 100 players... 

Screenshot_20201111-221418_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Trade down, get as many picks as possible, draft a QB with the top pick then draft oline, WRs, RBs, TEs and build around him. 

6 hours ago, JTJet said:

Let's say we trade down with the Redskins, as it currently stands, drop down 5 spots, we could seriously repair our team. 

Amazingly, I think people are still underestimating how badly we need an influx of talent.

We could end up with 

2021 - 

2022 - 

That's a HELL of a canvas for JD to paint with, a man that has said he wants to build through the draft more times that I can count. 

Imagine a FA with:

And then...

Completely agree with the above. 

The fanbase wants a savior, a quick fix, but the only reasonable path forward is a multi-year rebuild. This team has FAR too many weaknesses, and not enough foundational pillars. 

The next 2 years should be spent acquiring foundational players, like Becton and Quinnen williams. Sewell is also one of those, a can't miss prospect with exceptional athleticism. Strengthen the offensive and defensive lines. 

There's no point in throwing an overrated rookie QB into the fire, as exciting as that may be for the fans and the media. 

I know its boring to 'build through the draft', especially when you could easily splash cash on FAs and take the 'consensus number 1 generational superstar talent'. But the front office should have the good sense to ignore the noise. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Completely agree with the above. 

The fanbase wants a savior, a quick fix, but the only reasonable path forward is a multi-year rebuild. This team has FAR too many weaknesses, and not enough foundational pillars. 

The next 2 years should be spent acquiring foundational players, like Becton and Quinnen williams. Sewell is also one of those, a can't miss prospect with exceptional athleticism. Strengthen the offensive and defensive lines. 

There's no point in throwing an overrated rookie QB into the fire, as exciting as that may be for the fans and the media. 

I know its boring to 'build through the draft', especially when you could easily splash cash on FAs and take the 'consensus number 1 generational superstar talent'. But the front office should have the good sense to ignore the noise. 

We started the rebuild last year. That was why drafted a LT and a WR.

The situation really isn't that bad for a QB if the resources we have are spent correctly - I'd actually say it's better than Cincy was for Burrow.

QB is the position in football. If you get a great one you can compete every year almost regardless. You don't f*cking pass on generational prospects so you can build a team around a soon to be overpaid Sam Darnold and James f*cking Morgan.

Until we have a QB we have to get a QB. 

6 hours ago, JTJet said:

We could end up with 

2021 - 

2022 - 

Imagine a FA with:

And then...

Screenshot_20201111-221418_Samsung Internet.jpg

There is less than zero chance Sewell is making it to 5.

8 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

As sleeping ugly said in his presser,  he still has faith in Gase.  We are stuck with crap.  Doesn't matter.

He is either a liar or he is just dumb.

Yes, he is both.

Take that nonsense with a grain of salt. JD said same thing about Jamal. 

• Upvote 1

If we have the number 1 pick and the Jags have the number 2, I'm listening to what they have to offer.

If it's both their ones and a 2021 one, I'm dropping a slot and taking Fields. 

Use those 5 ones in 20 and 21 to build a monster unit around him. 

I'd let him know he was our top choice all along and let him have that chip on his shoulder that the Jags gave up the house to move up one slot.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

We started the rebuild last year. That was why drafted a LT and a WR.

The situation really isn't that bad for a QB if the resources we have are spent correctly - I'd actually say it's better than Cincy was for Burrow.

QB is the position in football. If you get a great one you can compete every year almost regardless. You don't f*cking pass on generational prospects so you can build a team around a soon to be overpaid Sam Darnold and James f*cking Morgan.

Until we have a QB we have to get a QB. 

Here we go with the 'generational' schtick again...

Trever lawrence is not a 'generational' talent. This word is abused beyond belief, it has no meaning any more. He is a good QB, in what happens to be a good QB class.

If he was the only good QB in his class, then there wouldn't be a need to debate this. 

I never suggested that the Jets ignore the QB. I'm in favor of drafting a QB like Trey Lance or Zach wilson, who have the same upside and talent as Lawrence, but lack the 'big school' pedigree. 

A combination of Sewell + <underrated rookie QB> is better than drafting Lawrence 1.01. 

Where is the option for building a fortress for a QB who may or may not be Darnold? I'd be open to a massive trade that included a combination of players and draft picks. When I say massive, I mean something that makes the Herschel Walker trade seem weak. 

I'm also open to drafting a "once in a lifetime" talent and trying to build around him while he is wet behind the ears.

• Upvote 1