Good Article on the Young up and coming Head Coaching candidates

Marshmello

https://www.nfl.com/news/titans-arthur-smith-bucs-byron-leftwich-among-young-coaches-to-watch

Titans' Arthur Smith, Bucs' Byron Leftwich among young coaches to watch

Published: Nov 12, 2020 at 07:39 AM

Headshot_Author_TOM_PELISSERO_1400x1000

Tom Pelissero

NFL.com Reporter

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Split

The Titans' Arthur Smith, Buccaneers' Byron Leftwich and Clemson's Tony Elliott are up-and-coming coaches to keep an eye on in the coming months and years. (Associated Press)

Who is this year's Sean McVay -- the young, up-and-coming coach who may get an NFL head job sooner than later?

This is the fourth year I've asked the question, and three names from this list have been hired in each of the previous three cycles: Matt Nagy, Matt Patricia and Mike Vrabel in 2018; Brian Flores, Matt LaFleur and Zac Taylor in 2019; and Joe Judge, Matt Rhule and Kevin Stefanski in 2020.

Looking at those names, there are some big-time hits and some hires that may end up as misses. This list isn't intended to suggest all the best candidates are younger first-timers; the likes of Dennis Allen, Eric Bieniemy, Todd Bowles, Jim Caldwell, Brian Daboll, Matt Eberflus, Leslie Frazier, Marvin Lewis, Don "Wink" Martindale, Josh McDaniels, Raheem Morris, Greg Roman, Brian Schottenheimer and Steve Spagnuolo, among others, could all be in the mix come January, even though they don't meet the criteria here.

But with roughly half of all jobs continuing to be filled from this demographic -- under age 45, getting their first NFL head-coaching opportunity -- it remains a valuable exercise to identify some less-familiar names that you could hear a lot in the months to come.

Here's a short list, based on dozens of recent conversations with NFL executives, coaches, players and others close to the search process:

New faces for this year's list

Titans OC Arthur Smith: There's a lot of intrigue around the league about Smith, 38, who has gone from relatively unknown tight ends coach to hot head-coaching name in less than two years. His work with Ryan TannehillDerrick Henry and Tennessee's offense has impressed. For a guy who grew up with money -- his father is billionaire Fred Smith, who founded FedEx -- Arthur Smith has a blue-collar reputation: humble, hard-working, beloved by players. He paid his dues, spending a decade as a graduate assistant, intern, quality control coach and assistant position coach. If the Titans finish strong, Smith is positioned to be one of the most coveted candidates in January.

Bucaneers OC Byron Leftwich: The 10-year NFL veteran quarterback was once a backup in Pittsburgh under Bruce Arians, who hired Leftwich as QB coach in Arizona in 2017 and brought him along to Tampa last year. Leftwich, 40, had an uninspiring stint as the interim OC for a doomed Cardinals team two years ago under Arians' successor, Steve Wilks. But Arians trusted Leftwich enough to make him the play-caller with the Bucs. Leftwich has shown he can manage a room with veterans such as Carson Palmer and Tom Brady, who's more than two years older than his OC and made a point on Wednesday to tweet that he loves Leftwich. Last week's blowout loss to the Saints notwithstanding, it'd be a surprise if Leftwich doesn't have interview requests this cycle.

Clemson OC Tony Elliott: The Panthers did a lot of research last year on Elliott, 40, who declined a formal interview for their head-coaching job. A former Clemson receiver who initially pursued a career in industrial engineering, Elliott is very analytical and cautious. He isn't going to jump at a job if he doesn't feel he's ready. But he has great command of the room, is dynamic and would impress in an interview. He's innovative on offense, too. He has coached at one of the most successful college programs of the past decade, winning two national titles. Elliott has no NFL experience as a player or coach, but Kliff Kingsbury's success running a wide-open offense in Arizona after making the jump from college to the pros makes Elliott's background that much more intriguing. Pairing Elliott with an experienced former head coach could help bridge the gap while he grows into the job.

Giants assistant head coach/DC Patrick Graham: After one season as the Dolphins' DC, Graham got permission from close friend Brian Flores to take a bigger title and reunite with fellow former Patriots assistant Joe Judge. Graham, 41, has impressed people around the league with how hard and well his Giants defense is playing without a lot of talent. Graham played defensive line at Yale and is now in his 19th year coaching, the past 12 in the NFL (including a Super Bowl XLIX win with New England). He's passionate, has high expectations and can be hard on players in a way that makes them love him more.

Rams DC Brandon Staley: A former assistant at football coach factory John Carroll University, Staley taught himself Vic Fangio's defensive scheme years before Fangio gave Staley, now 37, his first NFL job as outside linebackers coach with Chicago in 2017. Staley is thoughtful, detailed and completely obsessed with football. People who have worked with Staley say he's going to be a head coach -- it's just a matter of readiness. This is still really Staley's first year in front of the room. But he has the tools.

Panthers OC Joe Brady: At 31, Brady would be one of the youngest NFL head coaches of all time. Four years ago, he was a graduate assistant at Penn State. But Brady's rise since then -- two years as an offensive assistant with Sean Payton's high-powered Saints, one year helping run the LSU offense that turned Joe Burrow into the No. 1 pick and now as Matt Rhule's OC in Carolina -- means some owner is bound to be intrigued about at least interviewing him. Nobody really questions Brady's brilliance as an offensive mind. He's a natural play-caller. He's humble and engaging. He just hasn't had a lot of time to absorb all the other responsibilities in management, personnel, etc., that would go into running his own show. This is another guy who could use some help from a former HC while Brady and his program grow together.

Returning from last year's list

49ers DC Robert Saleh: One year after San Francisco's Super Bowl run, injuries have decimated the roster, including Saleh's defense -- yet the 49ers are still ranked among the top 10 in many key categories, including yards allowed, points allowed and red zone defense. Saleh, 41, made a great impression in his interview with the Browns last year. He's analytical, evidence-based and knows exactly what he believes philosophically. He has a plan for the offense and the people needed to make it work. He figures to be one of the most requested interviews in this cycle.

Saints assistant head coach/TEs Dan Campbell: A 10-year NFL veteran as a player who had a memorable stint as the Dolphins' interim coach (5-7 in 2015), Campbell has strong leadership traits. He's also heavily involved in the Saints' run game, has a hand in overall game-planning and addresses the offense each week. An incredible stat confirmed by NFL Research: In 15 years as one of football's most successful coaches, Sean Payton has never lost an assistant coach directly to an NFL head-coaching job. With the Saints flying high again at 6-2, there are multiple candidates on staff to potentially break that streak, including defensive coordinator Dennis Allen and Campbell, 44, who has interviewed for four head-coaching jobs in the past.

Iowa State coach Matt Campbell: Before the Jets hired Adam Gase two years ago, they reached out to Campbell, 40, who declined the interview. But people who know Campbell say he's intrigued by the NFL. He's known as a culture builder with a good mind for offense and an innate ability to relate to anyone.

Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley: Riley, 37, is an offensive guru who has coached two Heisman Trophy winners (Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray), both taken No. 1 overall in the NFL draft. He has one of the best gigs in college football and likes where he is.

Colts OC Nick Sirianni: Sirianni, 39, has good presence, knows offense and holds players accountable. He's not even the hottest name on the Indianapolis staff at the moment -- that's defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus -- but Sirianni has an excellent reputation across the league. He turned down an interview with the Browns two years ago, feeling he needed to focus solely on the Colts' Divisional Round game, but is ready to interview going forward.

Patriots ILB coach Jerod Mayo: Mayo, 34, has all of one and a half seasons of NFL coaching experience. But he spent eight years playing for Bill Belichick, relaying the defensive signals for most of that time, and is a born leader. The Patriots don't have a defensive coordinator, so Mayo is among those making calls this season. Fellow former Patriots linebacker Mike Vrabel only was a defensive coordinator for one season before landing the head-coaching job in Tennessee ... which has worked out pretty well for the Titans.

Others to watch in coming years

• Broncos WR coach Zach Azzanni, 44
  • Rams RB coach Thomas Brown, 34
  • Eagles run game coordinator/DL coach Matt Burke, 44
  • Patriots TE/FB coach Nick Caley, 37
  • Bengals OC Brian Callahan, 36
  • Lions special teams coordinator Brayden Coombs, 34
  • Bears QB coach John DeFilippo, 42
  • Bears safeties coach Sean Desai, 37
  • Titans TE coach Todd Downing, 40
  • Rams safeties coach Ejiro Evero, 39
  • Buccaneers OLB coach Larry Foote, 40
  • Michigan OC Josh Gattis, 36
  • Packers QB coach Luke Getsy, 36
  • Dolphins WR coach Josh Grizzard, 30
  • Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett, 40
  • 49ers STC Richard Hightower, 40
  • Alabama associate head coach/RBs coach Charles Huff, 37
  • Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka, 33
  • Texans OC Tim Kelly, 34
  • 49ers run game coordinator Mike McDaniel, 37
  • Cowboys OC Kellen Moore, 32
  • Rams OC Kevin O'Connell, 35
  • Browns TE coach Drew Petzing, 33
  • Bengals QB coach Dan Pitcher, 33
  • Rams CB coach Aubrey Pleasant, 34
  • Cardinals WR coach David Raih, 40
  • Iowa State WR coach Nate Scheelhaase, 30
  • Chargers OC Shane Steichen, 35
  • Eagles pass game coordinator/QB coach Press Taylor, 32
  • Washington Football Team OC Scott Turner, 38
  • Colts STC Bubba Ventrone, 38
  • Rams pass game coordinator Shane Waldron, 41
  • Missouri DC/safeties coach Ryan Walters, 34
  • Texans DC Anthony Weaver, 40
  • Upvote 2

Oh my, Tony Elliot?   Tony and I have kind of a love hate relationship right now.   I’m not liking him as the primary play caller this year.   The Clemson offense was better with Jeff Scott calling plays IMO.   He does posses some good leadership qualities and has been really good on the recruiting trail, I’m just not sure that will translate to the NFL.  Interesting that he is getting looks though.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Oh my, Tony Elliot?   Tony and I have kind of a love hate relationship right now.   I’m not liking him as the primary play caller this year.   The Clemson offense was better with Jeff Scott calling plays IMO.   He does posses some good leadership qualities and has been really good on the recruiting trail, I’m just not sure that will translate to the NFL.  Interesting that he is getting looks though.  

Who did you enjoy more @ Clemson as a fan, Watson or Lawrence and who do you think will become the better NFL QB of the two and why?

8 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Who did you enjoy more @ Clemson as a fan, Watson or Lawrence and who do you think will become the better NFL QB of the two and why?

Any time you get elite play at the QB position and compete for National Championships year in and year out, you enjoy it.  Both are really good QBs and both will be successful in the NFL.  As a pure thrower, Trevor is better.  Both have all the intangibles and leadership qualities you want in a franchise QB.  Who will be better or have the better NFL career will really depend on the situations they are surrounded with.  

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I could see Douglas tilting the scales on this one if it secures Lawrence’s happiness, though. 

• Upvote 1

Surprisingly, it appears that most of the young coaches hired over the last few years look pretty good and all but Patricia would be better than Gase:

Nagy-decent

Patricia-dubious

Vrable-looking good

Flores-looking good

LeFleur-looking good

Zac Taylor-decent

Judge-jury out

Rhule-good/decent

Stefanski-good/decent

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Any time you get elite play at the QB position and compete for National Championships year in and year out, you enjoy it.  Both are really good QBs and both will be successful in the NFL.  As a pure thrower, Trevor is better.  Both have all the intangibles and leadership qualities you want in a franchise QB.  Who will be better or have the better NFL career will really depend on the situations they are surrounded with.  

If Dabo thought Waston was Jordan, what does that make Lawrence? ;-) 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

Surprisingly, it appears that most of the young coaches hired over the last few years look pretty good and all but Patricia would be better than Gase:

Nagy-decent

Patricia-dubious

Vrable-looking good

Flores-looking good

LeFleur-looking good

Zac Taylor-decent

Judge-jury out

Rhule-good/decent

Stefanski-good/decent

Crazy.  1 black dude, by far doing the best job.  Then you look at the list they posted and what, 2 black candidates altogether?

disgusting 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

We’ve beat a few of these names to death. One guy that was talked about during the last process that is still out there is Dan Campbell. Listening to his interviews, I could see him and Douglas working well together. Dan Campbell likes guys who like to finish plays and hit guys in the mouth. I imagine Becton and Mims being his type of guys. He’s also known for being a leader and focusing on having a strong culture. I remember liking him back when we hired Gase. He’s back on my list.

Whether to hire a first time younger HC or someone who has prior HC experience is a bit of a dilemma.

The Jets have obviously not had a great track record with first time HCs, but part of that is the Jets hiring ability, and part of it is the GM.  Of the nine young HCs listed above, 7 of them turned out decent to great, with Joe Judge still open and Patricia likely going back to DC eventually.  I think Judge also has a GM problem. 

But at this point, almost anyone would be better than Gase, except Biennemy.  I think he flops.  

I also think the Bill O’Brien would like be an upgrade and could help with Trevor.  

Anyone would be an upgrade over Gase.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Hmmm....so if the jets hire Arthur smith he and the Johnsons can compare their trust baby bank accounts.

LOL, Yeah

Actually he has nothing in common with CJ, who to my knowledge, has never had a job in his life unti he became CEO of the NY Jets.   Smith would shame CJ

"Arthur Smith has a blue-collar reputation: humble, hard-working, beloved by players. He paid his dues, spending a decade as a graduate assistant, intern, quality control coach and assistant position coach."

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

So Arthur Smiths father founded FEDEX and he has spent over ten years in the trenches as a low end assistant working from the bottom when he has more money than God.  Compared with Woody who has done NOTHING.

Dont think Smith would survive here and tolerate a pushy like Woody.

Actually Woody has done quite a bit on his own.  He developed a cable company in Florida that nobody else would finance, and was later bought out  by Comcast for many millions.  He also had a real estate company in Florida that made about $55,000,000.  He was a very aggressive and creative businessman.

CJ on the other hand has done 0 except play tennis. 

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Actually Woody has done quite a bit on his own.  He developed a cable company in Florida that nobody else would finance, and was later bought out  by Comcast for many millions.  He also had a real estate company in Florida that made about $55,000,000.  He was a very aggressive and creative businessman.

CJ on the other hand has done 0 except play tennis. 

Investing in and creating are two different things.   I see your point I just don’t see Woody as an actively smart person.   I imagine he wrote the checks.... didn’t get involved much but who knows. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Is Trevor clutch? Has he ever had to come back to win a game? I honestly don't know anything about him.

20 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Investing in and creating are two different things.   I see your point I just don’t see Woody as an actively smart person.   I imagine he wrote the checks.... didn’t get involved much but who knows. 

As a CPA your not really going to criticise people for making huge amounts of money by writing checks are you?  :)

Just kidding Bro

51 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL, Yeah

Actually he has nothing in common with CJ, who to my knowledge, has never had a job in his life unti he became CEO of the NY Jets.   Smith would shame CJ

"Arthur Smith has a blue-collar reputation: humble, hard-working, beloved by players. He paid his dues, spending a decade as a graduate assistant, intern, quality control coach and assistant position coach."

I guess he could’ve been a fedex pilot.  Maybe even crash land with a volley ball.

There are a few trust babies who do make it on their own.  You gotta like how the titans play offense.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, flgreen said:

As a CPA your not really going to criticise people for making huge amounts of money by writing checks are you?  :)

Just kidding Bro

That’s been my contention of Woody. BORN into FU wealth and he bought the Jets. My contention is he actually underperformed.  NFL team values , while having done well, have done basically the same as an investment in an index fund.  meaning.... he hasn’t added value. 

I’m not interested in Leftwich at all. That’s Arians’ offense, and Leftwich doesn’t have enough experience yet.

Joe Brady is he ready? Probably not. But is he worth taking early because he will get that QB/offense in the right direction, like McVaay? Yeah. But i doubt the Jets hire him.

Matt Campbell would be a great hire and the best from the list.

Lincoln Riley is never coming here.

Arthur Smith is doing great things with the Titans, and has a nice balanced offensive attack. He is no one-trick-pony, and completely resurrected Tannehill’s career.

3 hours ago, HessStation said:

What a bunch of suckage. Get Harbaugh 

Johnsons CANNOT sell the next supposed great coordinator AGAIN.

There's 2 options; hire the big time no questions asked proven NFL head coach. That's Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh. Or hire a club president type, Bill Cowher or Tony Dungy, and then you can hire a young gun. But frankly I don't see how you go with anyone but at least a college head coach there. And all of these things cost MONEY. Somehow, the Jets ALWAYS go low end remainder bin when it comes to the HC. 

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I think youre going to see a swing back to the college ranks as guys like kingsbury and rhule have had a lot of success coming up to the big leagues and coaching.  Add that to the fact that Joe Brady is doing wonders for the Panthers,  a lot of franchises are going to be looking to capture that innovative college magic. 

• Upvote 1