Good Article on the Young up and coming Head Coaching candidates

Marshmello

I think personally, I'd love to be in a position to grab a younger guy that can grow into the position, ala a Joe Brady, but the jets missed their opportunity with that.  Coming out of the Todd Bowles years, the jets were mediocre at best, but still had some decent talent to work with and a one year out QB.  At that time I was all in favor of taking the risk on a younger college/inexperienced head coach that had a good offensive mind to help darnold.  They had their chance when they spurned Rhule.  Was he the guy to turn the offense around (which is what we all wanted), maybe not, he wouldnt have joe brady with him then.  But that to me was the right timing and temperature for a coach like that.  

Now with a hard reset on the franchise, you need someone a little more seasoned and a little sturdier to right this sinking ship and lead the team in a new direction.  Thats why I don't think we'll look to a Joe Brady or any of these really young coordinators.  Although I do like Arthur Smith and think he'll have a good shot at the job, I cant see the jets hiring many others off this list.  I see them going with a more veteran presence, someone that is going to bring in really good established coaches, and build a culture.  

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m not interested in Leftwich at all. That’s Arians’ offense, and Leftwich doesn’t have enough experience yet.

Joe Brady is he ready? Probably not. But is he worth taking early because he will get that QB/offense in the right direction, like McVaay? Yeah. But i doubt the Jets hire him.

Matt Campbell would be a great hire and the best from the list.

Lincoln Riley is never coming here.

Arthur Smith is doing great things with the Titans, and has a nice balanced offensive attack. He is no one-trick-pony, and completely resurrected Tannehill’s career.

Totally agree. He is the real deal.  Everyone who has ever encountered him knows it. That is why the Pats and Nick Saban tried to hire him before he became HC at Toledo. And if he can build a winning program at Toledo, think what he can do with the Jets and Lawrence or Fields at QB. 

• Upvote 1

I don't care if our next coach is offensive or defensive. I just want him to be someone who is a leader of men and has organizational skills. And then, of course, ownership must trust him to make the right coordinator hires and not try to cram anyone down his throat. 

• Upvote 2

This is a truly uninspiring list and demonstrates that hiring an assistant is a complete crap shoot.  Give me the one proven winner that will be available - Harbaugh.  It's a no-brainer.  Open the vault and offer him a ton of money and a long term deal. He won 37 games in three years and played in 3 NFC title games in a row with 1 SB appearance with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. With Harbaugh and the draft picks and Douglas, I don't see how a college QB would not want to come here.  

I don't want to try to find the next McVay.  The current McVay is not even the next McVay.  The shine is off the apple there already.  

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, varjet said:

Surprisingly, it appears that most of the young coaches hired over the last few years look pretty good and all but Patricia would be better than Gase:

Nagy-decent

Patricia-dubious

Vrable-looking good

Flores-looking good

LeFleur-looking good

Zac Taylor-decent

Judge-jury out

Rhule-good/decent

Stefanski-good/decent

Patricia is bad, but still better than Gase

7 hours ago, chirorob said:

A huge part of being a HC is the ability to get a competent staff around you.

Some of these really young guys may have a harder time doing that. 

I disagree. Being a young guy, in my opinion, means they likely won't be hiring has been retreads because they've been friends for 20 years (which is a good thing). Otherwise, they probably won't have a hard time finding good football people who want to advance their career since those opportunities are rare.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

I disagree. Being a young guy, in my opinion, means they likely won't be hiring has been retreads because they've been friends for 20 years (which is a good thing). Otherwise, they probably won't have a hard time finding good football people who want to advance their career since those opportunities are rare.

Also you look at the current jets staff.  I hated the Gase hire but Williams, Cooter, vitt etc are all established vet coaches.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Marshmello said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/titans-arthur-smith-bucs-byron-leftwich-among-young-coaches-to-watch

Titans' Arthur Smith, Bucs' Byron Leftwich among young coaches to watch

Published: Nov 12, 2020 at 07:39 AM

Headshot_Author_TOM_PELISSERO_1400x1000

Tom Pelissero

NFL.com Reporter

Others to watch in coming years

• Broncos WR coach Zach Azzanni, 44
  • Rams RB coach Thomas Brown, 34
  • Eagles run game coordinator/DL coach Matt Burke, 44
  • Patriots TE/FB coach Nick Caley, 37
  • Bengals OC Brian Callahan, 36
  • Lions special teams coordinator Brayden Coombs, 34
  • Bears QB coach John DeFilippo, 42
  • Bears safeties coach Sean Desai, 37
  • Titans TE coach Todd Downing, 40
  • Rams safeties coach Ejiro Evero, 39
  • Buccaneers OLB coach Larry Foote, 40
  • Michigan OC Josh Gattis, 36
  • Packers QB coach Luke Getsy, 36
  • Dolphins WR coach Josh Grizzard, 30
  • Packers OC Nathaniel Hackett, 40
  • 49ers STC Richard Hightower, 40
  • Alabama associate head coach/RBs coach Charles Huff, 37
  • Chiefs QB coach Mike Kafka, 33
  • Texans OC Tim Kelly, 34
  • 49ers run game coordinator Mike McDaniel, 37
  • Cowboys OC Kellen Moore, 32
  • Rams OC Kevin O'Connell, 35
  • Browns TE coach Drew Petzing, 33
  • Bengals QB coach Dan Pitcher, 33
  • Rams CB coach Aubrey Pleasant, 34
  • Cardinals WR coach David Raih, 40
  • Iowa State WR coach Nate Scheelhaase, 30
  • Chargers OC Shane Steichen, 35
  • Eagles pass game coordinator/QB coach Press Taylor, 32
  • Washington Football Team OC Scott Turner, 38
  • Colts STC Bubba Ventrone, 38
  • Rams pass game coordinator Shane Waldron, 41
  • Missouri DC/safeties coach Ryan Walters, 34
  • Texans DC Anthony Weaver, 40

Not a whisper of a Jets coach on this list. Not even a water boy. 

9 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m not interested in Leftwich at all. That’s Arians’ offense, and Leftwich doesn’t have enough experience yet.

Joe Brady is he ready? Probably not. But is he worth taking early because he will get that QB/offense in the right direction, like McVaay? Yeah. But i doubt the Jets hire him.

Matt Campbell would be a great hire and the best from the list.

Lincoln Riley is never coming here.

Arthur Smith is doing great things with the Titans, and has a nice balanced offensive attack. He is no one-trick-pony, and completely resurrected Tannehill’s career.

That's the guy I want as well.

7 hours ago, RJIII said:

Matt Campbell can chat out coach and develop. Take him in a heart beat.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

JETS need to learn from the Rhule disaster. If you like a guy and you THINK he may turn out to be something let him do his thing. If he fails fine, but don't hamstring him to begin with. Go hard after Campbell please and let him do his thing. We need a HC not some up and coming OC or DC. Well we need one of them also, but after we get Campbell to be the HC.

17 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This is a truly uninspiring list and demonstrates that hiring an assistant is a complete crap shoot.  Give me the one proven winner that will be available - Harbaugh.  It's a no-brainer.  Open the vault and offer him a ton of money and a long term deal. He won 37 games in three years and played in 3 NFC title games in a row with 1 SB appearance with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick. With Harbaugh and the draft picks and Douglas, I don't see how a college QB would not want to come here.  

I don't want to try to find the next McVay.  The current McVay is not even the next McVay.  The shine is off the apple there already.  

The "shine is off the apple" on McVay huh?  He made a super bowl with Jared Goff as his QB and again has that team at 5-3 in the NFC West.  If he became available 26 teams would take him immediately, but yea, hes average.

Anyone else notice Todd Bowles is becoming a legit HC candidate again? 

after winless Adam Gase maybe 24-40 wasn't so bad 

Unlike Brady, Bowles isn’t a new, buzzworthy name. He’s already been a head coach, but while the word “retread” is often dripping with disdain, plenty of head coaches have made good on their second chance. Carroll, Reid, Bill Belichick and Bruce Arians are all “retreads”, and they’re doing just fine.

When it comes to retread coaches, the most important questions to ask are why that coach failed at his last stop and whether his performance as a coordinator warrants another shot at the big job. In Bowles’ case, the first question isn’t tough to answer. During his four seasons with the Jets, 2015 to 2018, Bowles was saddled with one of the most talent-deficit teams. Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Dee Milliner, Calvin Pryor, Jace Amaro, Devin Smith, Christian Hackenberg and Darron Lee are just a few of the players the Jets drafted in the first and second rounds between 2012 and 2016. Players taken with those picks should have comprised the Jets’ core during the heart of Bowles’ tenure. Instead, many of them never made it to the end of their rookie contracts. The Jets’ lone mid-round find during that stretch was linebacker Demario Davis, who left for the Saints in free agency following Bowles’ first season and promptly turned into one of the best linebackers. Saddled with a rotating cast of career backup quarterbacks, a dearth of young talent and a handful of overpaid but ineffective free agents, the Jets went 24-40 under Bowles before he was fired.

Since leaving the Jets, Bowles has been largely responsible for one of the most impressive defensive turnarounds in recent memory. There’s really no arguing with the results Bowles has produced during his two years as the Bucs’ defensive coordinator. In 2018, the year before Bowles arrived in Tampa Bay, the Bucs finished dead last in defensive DVOA. This season, the Bucs rank No. 1 in the metric and have stifled some of the most efficient offenses, allowing 20 or fewer points to the Packers, Panthers and Raiders. The development of players like cornerback Carlton Davis and the addition of Jamel Dean, Antoine Winfield Jr. and Devin White, among others, has helped the Bucs’ ascension, but Bowles has also played a significant role. His aggressive blitzing style has been a nightmare for offenses much of this season. Creative wrinkles and designs on the offensive side often become objects of fascination for fans and announcers alike, but Bowles has been that kind of coach on defense during his two seasons in Tampa Bay. In his past four seasons as a defensive coordinator — 2013 and 2014 with the Cardinals and starting last season with the Bucs — Bowles’ defense has ranked second, seventh, sixth and now first in defensive DVOA. After his second season in Arizona, Bowles was named the Associated Press Assistant Coach of the Year en route to being named the Jets’ head coach. Six years later, he’s reached a similar point.

Along with his stellar track record as a coordinator, Bowles is also well regarded as a positive, upbeat presence in the facility. When you talk to Bowles, he can come off as soft-spoken or reserved. But those who’ve worked with him tell a different story. Brandon Marshall told The Athletic’s Dan Pompei that Bowles was “probably the funniest person I’ve ever been around in football outside of Peyton Manning,” and Bucs cornerbacks coach Kevin Ross said he’d never seen Bowles have a bad day. Bowles isn’t a humorless hard-ass who burned every bridge on his way out of New Jersey. He’s an exceptional coordinator seemingly capable of building quality relationships with his players. The reasons Bowles shouldn’t be a head coach are difficult to find.

There are barriers to building a consistent winner with a defensive head coach, but recent examples prove it’s still very doable in the right circumstances. Entering Thursday, Vrabel had a 24-16 record in three seasons with the Titans. Mike Tomlin has guided the Steelers to an undefeated record this season and is probably the most underrated coach of the past two decades. And Brian Flores is on his way to being named the coach of the year for his work with the Dolphins, who are 5-3.

Flores — who’s been the perfect steward for a young, rebuilding franchise as it see through a drastic overhaul — provides a useful blueprint for what a successful tenure could look like for Bowles in his next stop. The former Patriots defensive coordinator took over a rebuilding team flush with resources and could fit the defensive personnel to his man-heavy, pressure-filled scheme. To handle the offense, Flores brought on Chan Gailey, who is 68 and worked under Bowles as the Jets’ offensive coordinator in 2015 and 2016. As the Dolphins try to guide the early years of Tua Tagovailoa’s career, Gailey — who was out of football the last three years — is the rare offensive coordinator who could build an excellent unit while still not garnering much interest for head-coaching jobs.

A franchise like the Lions,  who seem to be headed for another head-coaching change as the Matt Patricia era continues to stall, could absolutely benefit from that type of setup. Teams that fire defensive head coaches typically tend to overcorrect and replace them with an offensive coach. But if Detroit were to hire Bowles, it would already have the sort of defensive personnel in place to run the type of pressure-filled, man-heavy defense Bowles prefers. If the Lions choose to move forward with Matthew Stafford at quarterback, it wouldn’t be quite as important for them to find a play-calling, offensive head coach as it might be for a team trying to mold the career of a young, highly drafted quarterback. If Bowles could find an established offensive coordinator — maybe someone like Norv Turner — to take over the offense and tailor it to Stafford’s strengths, it could work out the same way it has for Flores and Gailey in Miami so far.

Another chance for Bowles would also provide a rare second opportunity to a Black head coach, many of whom haven’t been allowed to fail in the same way their White counterparts have. As teams look for play-calling offensive coaches in the mold of McVay, Shanahan and others, the pool of minority candidates almost instantly dries up. Tampa Bay’s Byron Leftwich is the only Black offensive coordinator who is also a play caller, which speaks to the issue with the pipeline of offensive assistants and the opportunities afforded to Black coaches to coach quarterbacks at every level of football.

Bowles may not fit the archetype of the young, play-calling head coach who many organizations are looking to hire these days, but he’s proven he absolutely deserves another shot. Head coaches get their second opportunity for doing less seemingly offseason (Looking at you, Cowboys). Bowles and Brady have earned their place on the short list of the NFL’s best head-coaching candidates, and Sunday’s game will be a showcase of what each can do against their counterpart on the other sideline.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Anyone else notice Todd Bowles is becoming a legit HC candidate again? 

after winless Adam Gase maybe 24-40 wasn't so bad 

I'll laugh like hell at any team that hires Bowles.  Tampa is still mid pack in pass defense but like with the jets he leads the league in run defense.  His defense was awful in his 1st year there.