Jimmy G on his way out of SF?

AFJF

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2917668-nfl-exec-jimmy-garoppolo-may-be-done-with-49ers-amid-struggles-injuries

Multiple NFL executives reportedly believe the San Francisco 49ers will look to replace starting quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo during the 2021 offseason.

Garoppolo is on injured reserve after suffering his second high-ankle sprain of the season in Week 8 against the Seattle Seahawks, but he's also struggled when healthy with seven touchdowns and five interceptions across six appearances.

"I think he may be done in San Francisco," one executive told Mike Sando of The Athletic on Thursday. "And if they keep him, it's only because they don't have another option."

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Make it happen, JD.  Send Darnold back to his home state.

Lynch and Shanahan would be one of Sam’s best hopes.  

If you are going to have an all around solid football team, maybe you don’t need a $30mm/year QB to run your offense?  

Maybe you give Darnold a shot for $5mm next year?

• Upvote 3

San Francisco would be a fantastic spot for Darnold.  They have a real coach and good weapons over there.  I could see him winning a Superbowl there.  It would be very smart of their GM (John Lynch?) to trade for him while he's undervalued.  JD better not trade him though until we know Trevor Lawrence's situation.

As for Jimmy G, he's pretty mediocre but I could easily see the Pats bringing him back.  I don't think they're going to do all that much winning with him though.

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If the Jets land the #1 or #2 pick maybe Pitt and Frisco will have a bidding war for Darnold? 

I’d be shocked if we get anything more than a 3rd. Young QBs are popping up left and right and Darnold can’t even sling it down field. The Jags likely have to young QBs that are better than Darnold. 1 for sure. The other is TBD since it’s only been one start.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

I’d be shocked if we get anything more than a 3rd. Young QBs are popping up left and right and Darnold can’t even sling it down field. The Jags likely have to young QBs that are better than Darnold. 1 for sure. The other is TBD since it’s only been one start.

Sam is guaranteed $5mm+ next season.  Trade him, spend that money on a G, and draft Lawrence or Fields.  Everyone wins. 

I am thinking a 3rd as well given Sam’s season this year and only one year left on his cheap rookie deal.  It ends up a low 2nd/early 3rd. 

If I am the 49ers I am moving Garropolo, signing Sam, maybe locking him in for 2 years at $5mm/$10mm per year, and trying to draft a replacement, like the BYU QB. 

Hes not mediocre and doesnt suck.  He didnt go for a ride on the coattails of the team to the SB.  

If not for a three and out that allowed KC to get the ball and that defense, the one that dragged him to the SB, blew the lead in, hes a SB winning QB and the talk is different.

The 49'rs are built to win today, not dumping JG to give the team to a BYU QB type prospect.