Possible Jets Next Coach Greg Roman - Recent News

THE BARON

Interesting new story here regarding Greg Roman.  I thought it would be good to post here since he is mentioned as a possible HC candidate for the Jets next season

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/greg-roman-nothing-new-about-defenses-calling-out-plays/ar-BB1aX2IG?li=BBnb7Kz

"Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson said earlier this week that opposing defenses “know what we’re doing” and are calling out plays at the line of scrimmage during games.

Those comments suggest Jackson feels things may be too predictable on offense, but the guy calling the team’s plays downplayed that angle. Greg Roman said that what defenses are saying is “definitely something we talk about” and noted it is easier to hear everything right now than in packed stadiums before saying this is something that’s always “been an element of the game.”

“Calling out plays on a defense is nothing new,” Roman said. “I can talk about Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, every play they’re trying to guess what play you’re going to run based on what they’re seeing. That’s the chess match.”

Roman didn’t deny the offense has tendencies that defenses pick up on, but said you only have tendencies when you’re doing something well on offense. More successful offenses “can keep pressing that button” and then flip the script on an unsuspecting defense. Roman said they are aware of their tendencies and “work hard at changing it up” in order to stay ahead in the chess match.

The offense hasn’t been quite as successful on that front as they were last season, so they either have to do more to get defenses to guess wrong or nail down execution issues to get the bread and butter going as hoped."

23 hours ago, RSJ said:

Roman isnt in the top 10 of coaching candidates and never should have been considered that high

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Funny. he's literally the top NFL candidate on my list. (there are college HC's that are interesting) All this talk about Daboll or Smith. Two guys with about 4 yrs combined time running an offense.  Roman has more experience in his first gig as OC (SuperBowl) than either of those guys.  He's the guy and we'd be fortunate to nab him imo.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Funny. he's literally the top NFL candidate on my list. (there are college HC's that are interesting) All this talk about Daboll or Smith. Two guys with about 4 yrs combined time running an offense.  Roman has more experience in his first gig as OC (SuperBowl) than either of those guys.  He's the guy and we'd be fortunate to nab him imo.  

I wouldn't want him as head coach but I'd love for him to become our next OC alongside of and under Jim Harbaugh. 

They were an HC/OC duo together from 2011-2014 (4 years) @ San Francisco and went to 3 NFC Championship Games and 1 SB together.

(Roman immediately left San Francisco following Jim's departure and landed in Buffalo the following season of 2015). 

Jim Harbaugh = Head Coach. 

Trevor Lawrence = QB. 

Greg Roman = Offensive Coordinator. 

Harbaugh always had Roman's back, unlike Lamar Jackson who's throwing him under the bus; could Trevor Lawrence become the missing link who reunites these two together as an NFL HC/OC duo?

6 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I wouldn't want him as head coach but I'd love for him to become our next OC alongside of and under Jim Harbaugh. 

They were an HC/OC duo together from 2011-2014 (4 years) @ San Francisco and went to 3 NFC Championship Games and 1 SB together.

(Roman immediately left San Francisco following Jim's departure and landed in Buffalo the following season of 2015). 

Jim Harbaugh = Head Coach. 

Trevor Lawrence = QB. 

Greg Roman = Offensive Coordinator. 

Harbaugh always had Roman's back, unlike Lamar Jackson who's throwing him under the bus; could Trevor Lawrence become the missing link who reunites these two together as an NFL HC/OC duo?

Rght. Those reasons are why I think it's his time to get the top job. Rex used him as a scapegoat in Buffalo right after the team scored 31 pts in a 37-31 loss. Seems the defense had some troubles that day but Rex is gonna Rex. He did the same thing with Schotty and Sporano while here. 

Eventually guys earn their right to be a HC. Roman has been a TE coach, QB coach, RB Coach, Offensive assistant HC, OC 3x and has had success with more than 1 QB.  Guys like Saboll and Smith are just the next hot guy who has not earned the right to be a HC. Especially the HC of this cursed franchise. We will eat those noobs for lunch. imo 

The other thing is that Roman is from Atlantic City. He knows the deal with us a$$holes. He's made of the same stuff. 

We could do a lot worse than Harbaugh, but I just see power problems when he comes aboard. His act wears thin and I'd rather avoid that. 

That said, if Harbaugh is the guy and he can promote Roman to Asst. HC/OC I would be all aboard.