NFL insider says Jets may have ruined Sam Darnold but QB could be an average starter elsewhere

joewilly12

NFL insider says Jets may have ‘ruined’ Sam Darnold, but QB could be an ‘average’ starter elsewhere

Updated 11:55 AM; Today 11:54 AM 
NFL Week 7: Buffalo Bills defeat New York Jets, 18-10

NFL evaluators said Jets quarterback Sam Darnold has not had a talented supporting cast to help him succeed, but Darnold could do so with another team.Andrew Mills | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Two NFL insiders believe Jets quarterback Sam Darnold could still be a starter in the NFL, even if the Jets may have put him in a bad position to begin his career.

The Athletic revisited its rankings of NFL quarterbacks Thursday and reevaluated each player. The publication asked 50 coaches and evaluators to give their opinion on each of the quarterbacks in its survey.

Ranked a spot ahead of his New York counterpart Daniel Jones,a shoulder injury has limited Darnold this season, with the Jets quarterback playing in six games under center for a winless team this season that has the worst record in the NFL (0-9).

With Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence expected to be the top pick in the upcoming draft, Darnold could have value if the team decides to select Lawrence and move on from Darnold.

An anonymous general manager said that Darnold has talent but is concerned the Jets did not put enough pieces around the quarterback to succeed.

“Darnold has talent,” the general manager told the Athletic. “You just wonder if they have ruined it. He has played behind a poor offensive line, has had no weapons, he was throwing to really Jamison Crowder as his No. 1. If the Jets keep losing and get the top pick, you could see another team that needs a quarterback and has a better supporting cast acquiring Darnold in the offseason figuring maybe he can be an average starter, and you can win with that.”

An unidentified NFL coach liked Darnold coming out of college and thinks he can still be salvaged and become a good player in the future.

“We looked at him coming out of SC (Southern California), and we liked him, it was all good, but the thing from watching his game tape and seeing him in person was, he has never been the most accurate guy,” another coach said. “He has a great arm, he can make some throws, but I question his accuracy. I do think maybe he can be a good starter because he can move and throw the ball on the move, but it’s just so hard to say right now because of what he has been facing there.”

Darnold had also been without two of his top wide receivers, Jameson Crowder and Denzel Mims, making things even more challenging for him for most of the season.

The Jets are currently on a bye week and will play the Los Angeles Chargers Nov. 22.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Its amazing that he is inaccurate and can be "average" but that we ruined him. I am impressed with how many passes he gets on his poor play. Blame gets passed to everyone but him. Dwayne Johnson should have the XFL up and running riiiight about when Sam is available and done in the NFL.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

“He has a great arm..."

I would argue that Darnold has a good, or average, arm.  A "great" arm is what guys like Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers possess.  I would never put Darnold in that group.

I agree, but I don't think they meant in terms of cannon.  I think they meant touch.  The thing that is so frustrating is that some of his throws have shocking accuracy.  The problem is the laok of consistency.   If you include the "touch" throws as arm talent and the consistency as accuracy, maybe you arrive at this quote.   

• Upvote 2

1) I do NOT think Sammy is ruined yet. The prior regime and Adam Base certainly have tried to ruin him. But I believe he is certainly a good QB that just need to be treated to the necessity of a competent front office.

2) The Jets should NOT trade him. The mere thought is stupidity. If Sammy goes on to become the next Steve Young after arriving in another city Jets fans will want to split their throats.

3) Sammy, just like any other young QB deserves the opportunity to audition with a COMPETENT supporting cast. He's never had that.

4) Sammy should be retained and placed in a QB competition with another young buck QB Douglas drafts. Preferably Trevor Lawrence obviously, should compete in a straight up QB competition with Sammy. Let the chips fall where they may.... Equal snaps with the first team, ZERO preconceived notions, just OPEN eyes intent on learning who gives the Jets the very best chance at winning.

The above is the ONLY way to approach this. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea how to build an NFL franchise.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

The Jets may have ruined his internal clock and sense for pressure.

It's not his accuracy that's the problem.  When he has time he can be accurate enough.

The issue for me is he tends to miss the open receiver and throw it to somebody else or take a sack.  Another team has to hope with better pressure and a better overall culture he'll learn to see the field better.  If so he can be a good QB.

Sam's biggest issue is reading the field and making consistently good decisions. 

I think he has a pretty good arm (plenty strong enough to succeed in the NFL) and decent accuracy. But being a good QB is all about consistently making good decisions under pressure and that is where he struggles and is at the bottom of the league. 

• Upvote 4

It’s all hard to say.  Just what were his expectations when he was drafted?  He was thrown right in with a crappy bunch of receivers and maybe a run game that better than he has now. He played well enough during his rookie year.  Then he gets mono and that knocks him back for 3 to 5 games and this season he got body slammed and now has an injured arm.  The thing is put the same run game tannehill has around darnold and We’d all be singing his praises.  The big arm can help but it way more important to keep the QBs clean.

52 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

1) I do NOT think Sammy is ruined yet. The prior regime and Adam Base certainly have tried to ruin him. But I believe he is certainly a good QB that just need to be treated to the necessity of a competent front office.

2) The Jets should NOT trade him. The mere thought is stupidity. If Sammy goes on to become the next Steve Young after arriving in another city Jets fans will want to split their throats.

3) Sammy, just like any other young QB deserves the opportunity to audition with a COMPETENT supporting cast. He's never had that.

4) Sammy should be retained and placed in a QB competition with another young buck QB Douglas drafts. Preferably Trevor Lawrence obviously, should compete in a straight up QB competition with Sammy. Let the chips fall where they may.... Equal snaps with the first team, ZERO preconceived notions, just OPEN eyes intent on learning who gives the Jets the very best chance at winning.

The above is the ONLY way to approach this. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no idea how to build an NFL franchise.

The ONLY way?  Can you name the teams that used this strategy successfully? 

The idea that it is stupidity to move on from a QB that you know, is kind of silly.  The Eagles did it. The Rams did it.  The Patriots did it, twice or more.  The Chiefs did it.  What teams held on to their guy like grim death?  The Bucs?  The Titans with Locker?  I'm not even sure.  You seem to be calling for doing what the Chargers did with Brees.  That would be the absolute best case scenario and I would argue that didn't help anybody.

• Thumb Down 1

59 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Agree with what you're saying except there's no way we're not trading him if we get 1.01 and take Trevor.  

• Upvote 1

Put him in Shanny’s offense, the zone blocking would give him better line play/calls and play action would be perfect for him. I’m an idiot, and I can see this clearly. How the Jets have failed to scout their own played in order to help him succeed is mind-boggling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Sam's biggest issue is reading the field and making consistently good decisions. 

I think he has a pretty good arm (plenty strong enough to succeed in the NFL) and decent accuracy. But being a good QB is all about consistently making good decisions under pressure and that is where he struggles and is at the bottom of the league. 

his arm is average at best

he throws the ball LATE all the ffing time...  his mechanics and foootwork are a disaster and he is notas effective a runner as he should be...

HE CANNOT CUT IT ATTHIS LEVEL....  HE IS IN WAY POVERHIS HEAD/ABILITY

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Tannehills issue was health, his 2014 and 2015 blow anything Darnold's ever done out of the water. Darnold just sucks.

Tannehil was tossed away by miami and had to deal with Adam GAse, the worst coach in the league.

Darnold has been injured as well on a team with zero talent and had had to deal with gase.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except Tannehill was actually pretty good early in his career.

And darnold was quite good looking in year one with bates, then he got genius gase.

Also the Jets talent level is so utterly terrible there is not a good comparisons.

We will see sooner than later, as soon as next year when danold goes to another team whether he is Rosen or tannehill.

• WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

And darnold was quite good looking in year one with bates, then he got genius gase.

Also the Jets talent level is so utterly terrible there is not a good comparisons.

We will see sooner than later, as soon as next year when danold goes to another team whether he is Rosen or tannehill.

Enter him back in after the bye, same lineup Flacco had see if the results are equal or better. 

It's that simple. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

It’s all hard to say.  Just what were his expectations when he was drafted?  He was thrown right in with a crappy bunch of receivers and maybe a run game that better than he has now. He played well enough during his rookie year.  Then he gets mono and that knocks him back for 3 to 5 games and this season he got body slammed and now has an injured arm.  The thing is put the same run game tannehill has around darnold and We’d all be singing his praises.  The big arm can help but it way more important to keep the QBs clean.

3x OCs and 2x HCs in 2 1/2 years certainly did not help.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

30th in DYAR, 30th in DVOA.  Games over 300 yards: 2.  Games under 200 yards: 7

More accurately, he had two pretty good games at the end of the season and most people decided that that was who he was as a player.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1