Jump to content

Leonard Williams is having a Pro Bowl year


DarnoldHomer
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We don't actually hit on the picks, that's why.  The only 1st round picks this team actually hit on in the last 2 decades are Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis.  And all of those guys got extended past their rookie deals.  

In addition, Muhammad Wilkerson was NOT a hit, yet the Jets extended him beyond his rookie deal.  

Wilkerson and the rest of our 1st rounders can all kick rocks for all I care.  They deserved to get traded away, and it would have been horrible decisions to extend any of them.

Well for JD, at least, I think it was a clear sign for all to see that he knew -- or at least very strong-suspected -- that Darnold wasn't the guy and made the decision not to invest around him and gather draft capital to build around Trevor, or whoever. If we hit on our QB and do about NFL average with the rest of our picks, we will have a nice cheap core for 4 years. Then can supplement with targeted FA.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I know we all hate his balls but a 24 year old 2x all pro is the definition of hitting on the pick 

also Mo and Mark sanchez 2 extensions over a decade is negligent 

it wasn't just the first round picks. They didn't extend robby who was a 2nd rd RFA/UDFA. They didn't extend Andre Roberts because he was old? They didn't extend demario davis, why? 

it's gotten to the point where the only assets the team has are Becton, QW and nothing 

You forgot our new kicker, Castillo.😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I know we all hate his balls but a 24 year old 2x all pro is the definition of hitting on the pick 

also Mo and Mark sanchez 2 extensions over a decade is negligent 

it wasn't just the first round picks. They didn't extend robby who was a 2nd rd RFA/UDFA. They didn't extend Andre Roberts because he was old? They didn't extend demario davis, why? 

it's gotten to the point where the only assets the team has are Becton, QW and nothing 

Don't forget Enuwa. It is certain had we offered that same contract to Robby at the time he would've accepted

Pouring Gas on Fire Meme Maker

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Truth bomb Bitoni. That’s exactly how I see it 

we agree on Leo more or less but make no mistake

Sam Darnold is more problem than solution 

Leo was always a good player, Darnold has always been mixed and hurt and getting mono

After Sanchito and Darn same old Jets I don't have a high opinion of any QB1 at USC 

maybe that person can excel on the Chargers or something but those guys wilt in the AFC East for whatever reason  

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Don't forget Enuwa. It is certain had we offered that same contract t Robby at the time he would've accepted

Pouring Gas on Fire Meme Maker

 

out of all the dead money the most defensible is Quincy. That contract had to be cleared as did many others. now Gase and Darnold has to be cleared out too I guess that's the point of 2020 

but dam it's hard to watch 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The draft is literally the only place to go to have any sustainable success in the NFL.  What alternative choice do we have?

The sad part in all of this, the consensus JN draft thread is better at picking players than the past Jets front office personnel.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2020 at 9:53 PM, varjet said:

No one is guaranteeing Leo any real money.  

He will get a 2 year contract, for around $10mm/year, with 1.5 years guaranteed.  Maybe a bit more. 

People like to talk about how DTs are not impact players, but if you can’t stop the run you look like a really bad team.   The Jets with Q and Foley can stop the run.  They are not the reason the Jets are winless.   The Jets are winless because the offense and CBS are epically bad.  

that is why teams were interested in trading for Q.

He giants paid him 16:for one year. He’s not taking 15mm guaranteed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thats a pro bowl year? Yeah, Leo turned into real force when he left 🙄

QWill has nothing to do with LWill. They both suck. They were both absolutely wasted picks. In my mind, the biggest thing thing that makes Q clearly the worst pick is the fact that we had literally already just been through wasting a high first found pick on a DT and to repair that problem, we did the same thing again!

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Thats a pro bowl year? Yeah, Leo turned into real force when he left 🙄

QWill has nothing to do with LWill. They both suck. They were both absolutely wasted picks. In my mind, the biggest thing thing that makes Q clearly the worst pick is the fact that we had literally already just been through wasting a high first found pick on a DT and to repair that problem, we did the same thing again!

Kinda a dumb post considering QWill's 2nd season has been very good. He's turned into of the better DT in the league after a pedestrian rookie season. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2020 at 8:18 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yeah, he's a real Aaron Donald clone.....lol

 

"Pro Bowl Alternate" is the Miss Congeniality of the NFL....

😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 

It is seriously the most irrelevant label you can put on a pro athlete.

MVP, DPOTY, & All Pro are the only NFL accolades that have any significance.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2020 at 11:59 AM, bitonti said:

I know we all hate his balls but a 24 year old 2x all pro is the definition of hitting on the pick 

also Mo and Mark sanchez 2 extensions over a decade is negligent 

it wasn't just the first round picks. They didn't extend robby who was a 2nd rd RFA/UDFA. They didn't extend Andre Roberts because he was old? They didn't extend demario davis, why? 

it's gotten to the point where the only assets the team has are Becton, QW and nothing 

$100mill in cap space and 4 1st rnd picks in the next 2 yrs.

They can dump the entire roster aside from Q, Becton, Mims and Crowder, as far as i am concerned.  F Moseley for opting out after being hurt all last season.  Cut him and just have an interesting anecdote about the most expensive half of football in league history.

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2020 at 8:28 PM, HessStation said:

I think every normal Hets fan got that he was good and not a complete bust. So if he’s playing a little better than expected in a contract year that he’s on paper saying he expects top DT money...once again he can GFH ie, still a good trade imo 

H-E-T-S, HETS, HETS, HETS! Goddamn it all, on most days I'm a Kets fan, so don't sweat it. : /  Then again, Hets could be a semi-purposeful Freudian Slip combination of Hatred and Jets. That works for me, because even Jets fans hate the Jets. I say it after every loss. "How's it going?" "I hate the Jets." "I asked how you are." "I said I hate the Jets." Anyway, who cares about Leonard Williams. If he was still here the Jets would still be blowing pineapple chunks only with another overpaid albatross around their neck.

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DirtyJersey said:

$100mill in cap space and 4 1st rnd picks in the next 2 yrs.

the 4 first round picks have to play here 

they have no choice

 the 100 million dollars they are going to use on FA, will probably be spent on more Trumaine Johnsons and LeVeon Bells

because they didn't keep their homegrown talent and no one decent makes it to FA anymore 

honest question what's the last Jets FA that proved to be an asset? I can't remember 

  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

the 4 first round picks have to play here 

they have no choice

 the 100 million dollars they are going to use on FA, will probably be spent on more Trumaine Johnsons and LeVeon Bells

because they didn't keep their homegrown talent and no one decent makes it to FA anymore 

honest question what's the last Jets FA that proved to be an asset? I can't remember 

Curtis Martin? Victor Green? Kevin Mawae? Oh, I forgot to say 'what is'. : /

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

the 4 first round picks have to play here 

they have no choice

 the 100 million dollars they are going to use on FA, will probably be spent on more Trumaine Johnsons and LeVeon Bells

because they didn't keep their homegrown talent and no one decent makes it to FA anymore 

honest question what's the last Jets FA that proved to be an asset? I can't remember 

Much of the 2009-2010 teams were made up of free agents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Much of the 2009-2010 teams were made up of free agents.

so a decade then? 

they haven't found FA success for a decade

some say this will be a historic year with all the cuts certain teams will have to make

but the good teams always find cap room at the last minute and the Jets end up paying George Fant 10 million dollars a year to be bad 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2020 at 2:37 PM, bitonti said:

Leo was always a good player, Darnold has always been mixed and hurt and getting mono

Imo the problem with Leo and Darnold and Adams is that they’re all talented guys who you’d like to have on your roster but, because of where they were drafted, you simply can’t justifying paying them the way their draft slots dictate they get paid on a second contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imo the problem with Leo and Darnold and Adams is that they’re all talented guys who you’d like to have on your roster but, because of where they were drafted, you simply can’t justifying paying them the way their draft slots dictate they get paid on a second contract. 

The point though: overpaying guys we know to be good may be better than blowing FA money on Trumaine Johnsons.

Or, most likely, Woody just pockets the cash and we roll -$40M under the cap next season.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

 

The point though: overpaying guys we know to be good may be better than blowing FA money on Trumaine Johnsons.

Or, most likely, Woody just pockets the cash and we roll -$40M under the cap next season.

Not that I want to jump to the defense of a billionaire who’s spent his life evading taxes, but I think Trumaine Johnson is a pretty good example of Woody Johnson having a history of not shorting the payroll. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not that I want to jump to the defense of a billionaire who’s spent his life evading taxes, but I think Trumaine Johnson is a pretty good example of Woody Johnson having a history of not shorting the payroll. 

Once every 7 years they blow their wad on garbage to keep the pitch-fork carrying yokels off their lawn, that's true.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2020 at 8:29 PM, Beerfish said:

Playing well and deserves credit for doing so.

He never played that way for us, but he also had to deal with an awful coach in bowles.

true/agreed !  8-).. he is also now playing with better players around him and, yes,.. better coaching   :eusa_shifty:

3525861zqw6rbfja5.gif   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Not that I want to jump to the defense of a billionaire who’s spent his life evading taxes, but I think Trumaine Johnson is a pretty good example of Woody Johnson having a history of not shorting the payroll. 

T Johnson and Bell are examples of splashy year 4 in the CBA cycle spend to bring their total team to 93% or whatever just over the floor

Woody Johnson should fund the roster 95% at least every year

to do otherwise is starving the beast

he's been doing it since Rex era 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2020 at 4:10 PM, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Kinda a dumb post considering QWill's 2nd season has been very good. He's turned into of the better DT in the league after a pedestrian rookie season. 

I disagree. Baby Huey has been visible, which is a drastic improvement to what he has been in his career thus far, but still very, very far from being worth where he was taken. 

A whole 31 tackles and 3 sacks? It's nice to see our THIRD OVERALL PICK finding his way past an oline man but is still frequently shown up by the late round picks and UDFAs that make up our dline rotation. Late rounders and UDFAs who are MORE than adequate, btw since dline is still our best unit - And, no, most definitely not because of Baby Huey. 

3rd overall pick is where you get impact pass rushers. Space eating 3-4 DL are late round picks, as our current roster proves so adequately. AND, to my original point, as already proven by Leo Williams. 

So no, not "kinda a dumb post". 

Letting Mac waste all that cap space and then piss away the #3 overall pick BEFOFE firing him was negligence that is just despicable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2020 at 8:28 PM, HessStation said:

I think every normal Hets fan got that he was good and not a complete bust. So if he’s playing a little better than expected in a contract year that he’s on paper saying he expects top DT money...once again he can GFH ie, still a good trade imo 

agreed. The other positive with Leo is his health. He rarely missed time. He's a solid player.  Not anywhere near worth paying $16 mil for. I'm gad we got what we did for him when he would not have moved the needle here. nabbed Ashtyn Davis and We still have an additional 5th coming this year for him. I'm happy with the decision. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 4:10 PM, MichaelScott said:

I disagree. Baby Huey has been visible, which is a drastic improvement to what he has been in his career thus far, but still very, very far from being worth where he was taken. 

A whole 31 tackles and 3 sacks? It's nice to see our THIRD OVERALL PICK finding his way past an oline man but is still frequently shown up by the late round picks and UDFAs that make up our dline rotation. Late rounders and UDFAs who are MORE than adequate, btw since dline is still our best unit - And, no, most definitely not because of Baby Huey. 

3rd overall pick is where you get impact pass rushers. Space eating 3-4 DL are late round picks, as our current roster proves so adequately. AND, to my original point, as already proven by Leo Williams. 

So no, not "kinda a dumb post". 

Letting Mac waste all that cap space and then piss away the #3 overall pick BEFOFE firing him was negligence that is just despicable. 

Williams is currently ranked 13th among IDL with a combined total of 4.3 stops and pressures per game (stops are tackles that constitute a “failure” for the offense). He is also one of only three IDL with a 70.0+ Pro Football Focus pass rushing grade, a 70.0+ PFF run defense grade, 20+ pressures, and 20+ stops, along with Cameron Heyward and DeForest Buckner.

In the running game, Williams is arguably the most active defensive tackle in the NFL, leading IDL with 2.2 stuffs (tackles in the run game short of the first down marker for a gain of 2 yards or less) per game. 

If anything, he's also been better than Josh Allen and Ed Oliver this season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Williams is currently ranked 13th among IDL with a combined total of 4.3 stops and pressures per game (stops are tackles that constitute a “failure” for the offense). He is also one of only three IDL with a 70.0+ Pro Football Focus pass rushing grade, a 70.0+ PFF run defense grade, 20+ pressures, and 20+ stops, along with Cameron Heyward and DeForest Buckner.

In the running game, Williams is arguably the most active defensive tackle in the NFL, leading IDL with 2.2 stuffs (tackles in the run game short of the first down marker for a gain of 2 yards or less) per game. 

If anything, he's also been better than Josh Allen and Ed Oliver this season. 

Who cares what he's doing on another team? He was a disappointment here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...