Darnold is NOT a bust

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You are aware the team has lost every game they've played and are on pace to be statistically one of the worst football teams in the history of the NFL, right?

Yes I'm very aware.

I'm also aware that the first time any of us tried to drive a car, cook a meal, play a guitar, or catch a fly ball... we pretty much sucked LOL!

Practice makes perfect. Experience and wisdom come with time

Hey man I could be wrong, but from my experience chemistry doesn't strike like lightning overnight.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Sorry brother I am not lost. The negativity on this board is ridiculous that's my first point.

My second point is the fans and media seem to want instant gratification. If we fire Adam Gase, trade Sam darnold, and fire Joe Douglas, do you really think we're getting to the Superbowl next year?

Drafting Trevor Lawrence with the first overall pick, hiring a new head coach and a new general manager, is going to put us another five years out from heading to the playoffs.

A good sauce needs time to simmer right? Rome wasn't built in a day. Mike Tyson won the title at 21 years old but he was actually boxing since he was 12 oh, and the Beatles were together for eight years before they landed in New York. LOL!

How come we can't be patient and let these guys have their plan come to fruition before we call for everybody's heads and say their busts and need to be fired?

It's just ridiculous man it's literally been a season and a half! WTF!? I agree that what we've seen on the field sucks and is painful to watch, but there's so many other circumstances involved. That's just reality. Injuries, mono, the pandemic, come on man.

Darnold hasn't even played with his three starting wide receivers yet and it's week 10 for Christ sakes LOL!

This would all read a lot better if Sam was in his first season, but the inconvenient truth is that he's in his 3rd season. He's had 32 starts. Not 8 or 9. 32. You seem to have an unrealistic view of how long a QB gets in the NFL to prove he has got the goods. You don't get four, five, and six years to show that you can be a consistently good QB. The third year is always a big year for young QBs - Darnold has been terrible this year. 

And the excuses for Gase . . . I mean, give me a break. Everyone is dealing with the pandemic, friend. The guy was brought here to get the most out of Sam and Sam looks awful and the team gets blown out in the majority of its games. 

My advice to you is to watch other teams around the league and think critically about whether your "standards" (I'm being kind here) are reasonable in the modern NFL. You think the Cardinals were wrong to dump Rosen after 1 year? You think they regret drafting Murray and not giving Rosen more time? 

How much time should Sam get here? If he sucks next year, should we move on? What about the year after that? At what point do you have to face the reality of what you are watching - a bad QB leading a badly coached team? 

• Post of the Week 2

17 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You are aware the team has lost every game they've played and are on pace to be statistically one of the worst football teams in the history of the NFL, right?

Yea, but it's only year 2 of Gase and year 3 of Sam. 

By year 6 of Sam, he should be at least average and we could be 8-8 and in contention for 7th wildcard spot. We have to let their plan unfold!

It took Mike Tyson 9 years from the age of 12 to become the heavyweight champ so Darnold should get a solid decade to become a good NFL QB. Math checks out. 

• Haha 1

To call Sam Darnold Bust based upon the Jets support or lack thereof is PREPOSTEROUS!!

Think of it Jeremy Bates who was walking around like Ghandi in the Desert about a year before being hired by Bowles had Darnold performing like  Johnny U compared to Mind Master Gase!

Gase the chaser away of leaders of men!!! :) 

And the lack of talent speaks for itself...

Bust???????????????????????

The only thing that is a Bust is the Jets Organization and how they handled the development and growth of one..........................Sam Darnold!

• Thumb Down 1

Hey you guys can jump me if you want it's only a football message board. We can agree to disagree it's all about our opinions right?

The only point I'm trying to make is that it's Madness to think that if you fire people every other year it's going to bring you success. I don't think firing the head coach and getting rid of our quarterback is the answer.

When you watch movies you look at the performers, the actors in the movie. If you read the credits there's hundreds of people involved in making the movie. If you go see a rock concert you look at the performers on stage maybe the Black Crowes. There are a huge amount of people that go into making that show work for the evening.

The Jets just flipped about every position in the entire company in the last year-and-a-half and that was done by the head coach. Yes crazy eyes Gase.

If we don't allow them time to see their Vision through we're not going to get any results and getting new people in here is going to start us back at the beginning. I think Sam Darnold is a good quarterback. I don't think he's great but I think he can win.

As I said in the other thread I wouldn't be surprised if next year people are regretting trading him for a second round pick when he's playing in Indy or on the 49ers and they're  9-7 or 10-6.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Hey you guys can jump me if you want it's only a football message board. We can agree to disagree it's all about our opinions right?

The only point I'm trying to make is that it's Madness to think that if you fire people every other year it's going to bring you success. I don't think firing the head coach and getting rid of our quarterback is the answer.

When you watch movies you look at the performers, the actors in the movie. If you read the credits there's hundreds of people involved in making the movie. If you go see a rock concert you look at the performers on stage maybe the Black Crowes. There are a huge amount of people that go into making that show work for the evening.

The Jets just flipped about every position in the entire company in the last year-and-a-half and that was done by the head coach. Yes crazy eyes Gase.

If we don't allow them time to see their Vision through we're not going to get any results and getting new people in here is going to start us back at the beginning. I think Sam Darnold is a good quarterback. I don't think he's great but I think he can win.

As I said in the other thread I wouldn't be surprised if next year people are regretting trading him for a second round pick when he's playing in Indy or on the 49ers and they're  9-7 or 10-6.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and we can agree to disagree. 

But I am still interested in knowing how long you would be willing to give Darnold? It sounds like if he continues to suck, you think he should get another year here. Ok, fine. What if he sucks again next year? Do we give him a new contract anyway (e.g. what we did with Sanchez)? At what point do you cut bait? Did you think the Jets were right to give Sanchez the contract they gave him? 

• Upvote 1

I’ve been rooting for Sam since his pro day.

But, we’re at the put up, or shut up stage.

He’s got 7 games left to prove what he can be. In his defence, no one was calling him a bust after the strong ending last season. So, he’s capable.

it’s all up to him. Win 3-4 games and we’re out of the Lawrence/Fields sweepstakes.

Let’s see what he made of.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion and we can agree to disagree. 

But I am still interested in knowing how long you would be willing to give Darnold? It sounds like if he continues to suck, you think he should get another year here. Ok, fine. What if he sucks again next year? Do we give him a new contract anyway (e.g. what we did with Sanchez)? At what point do you cut bait? Did you think the Jets were right to give Sanchez the contract they gave him? 

No Sanchez wasn't near the player Darnold is. I would like to see Darnold have a normal year.

You have to admit it's been nothing but an uphill battle since the kid came into the league. I would say 80% of his struggles aren't even on him. Bad offensive lines, change of coaching staff, mononucleosis, the pandemic, unprecedented across the board.

My two simple points that the fans and the media in this town don't even give these guys a chance and it's unrealistic to think we're going to the Super Bowl with a new head coach and a rookie quarterback next year.

Again as we're calling for everybody's head including the coach the GM and the quarterback, that's just going to set us back to square one. It's a ridiculous vicious cycle.

Hey man we suck I get it..the product on the field sucks. But do these guys get a chance to move forward with what they've been working on? Do they get any time to work out the Kinks and fix the problems?

Like I said Sam is only 23 years old. I feel sorry for the kid he's pressing and playing sloppy cuz he's trying to get something done. the pressure from the fans and the media is a lot of weight to carry on your shoulders in this town.

I think our expectations collectively are a pipe dream as we always seem to expect instant success. Like I said they just completely turned over the entire organization from top to bottom, it may take a little time to come to fruition.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I think our expectations collectively are a pipe dream as we always seem to expect instant success. Like I said they just completely turned over the entire organization from top to bottom, it may take a little time to come to fruition.

What we expect is not to be the worst team in the NFL and one of the worst teams of all time. 

32 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

My two simple points that the fans and the media in this town don't even give these guys a chance and it's unrealistic to think we're going to the Super Bowl with a new head coach and a rookie quarterback next year.

Nobody thinks the bolded. This is a strawman. What we are saying is that it's clear to us that Sam and Gase aren't the long term answers at QB and HC. 

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Now your pushing it. Plunkett was a much better prospect than Darnold. 

THAT may very well be true but, if we can get Lawrence.. Sam is gonna get traded.

he will most probably end up with a better team than the one we have now ( players / coaching staff / ownership ).

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

21 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

Says this guy?????? Lmao.

“Hey can I play too“

6F0B496E-1506-4D23-A7F6-05BFBCCE44C2.jpeg

Jeremy is kinda cool and you’re kinda not. I can proclaim stuff like this since I’m King and have been kicking ass since put in the position by three-four weirdos on the board...none the less,

so yeah. Don’t be such a Dick. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with you, but you're going to get a lot of garbage from most fans for your thoughts.  Most fans look from game to game, and cast judgement.  Lets say Darnold averages 2 or 3 TD's the remainder of the season for the last 7 games which is not out of the question.  Same people saying you are crazy will be commenting Darnold is the future.  I don't know if he is good, great, average, or bad because it's been hard to evaluate him.  The next 7 games should be telling however. 

It's Week 10 and Sam Darnold has 3 TD's. His production has been pathetic, I don't want to hear about Adam Gase--he's a dead man walking and I don't want to hear about his 'weapons', every team in the league loses weapons regularly as well. 

Not to mention 1 (or 2?) of the TD's were in pure garbage time mode.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

"Weapons" falls flat; it's an excuse. Flacco also dealt with not having Becton most of the game. That was a huge downgrade, but so what. Darnold did have each of the 3 at various times if not together. He holds on too long, he doesn't read things, he misses open receivers. He isn't IT. 3 years in is enough of a sample and it isn't any good. 

First off, I am not defending Sam, I am saying when Flacco didn't have those 3 on the field, he looked worse than Sam. Flacco sucks. He has sucked for a few years now. Flacco threw a game killing pick when Griffen was so open in the flat he could have ordered nachos from the concession and still caught the ball so both QB's miss open recievers

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Flacco is awful. I know Sam has been bad this season but even with as bad as he has played, he has so much more ability than Flacco has at this point.

After Monday night,evidence of this statement is..?

Grant you firing people every 2 or 3 years doesn't work. There's an argument that stability has value. But more important is if something isn;t working it doesn't get better with age. This is not a small sample in either case. We have 3 years of suck as to Darnold and 2 awful years of Gase. They have both earned their walking papers. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bugg said:

After Monday night,evidence of this statement is..?

Grant you firing people every 2 or 3 years doesn't work. There's an argument that stability has value. But more important is if something isn;t working it doesn't get better with age. This is not a small sample in either case. We have 3 years of suck as to Darnold and 2 awful years of Gase. They have both earned their walking papers. 

Not that I am trying to defend Sam but you are way off. 3 Years? He has played maybe 2 full seasons. Up to this point, probably less. I don't give him a pass on that because he has to stay on the field but you are being pretty liberal with that assessment. 

As far as based on what, Sam's ability to move and run makes him twice the QB the sitting duck Flacco is. Does Flacco run for a 40 yard TD as Sam did? He is better than Flacco. Only a hater would say otherwise. 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Not that I am trying to defend Sam but you are way off. 3 Years? He has played maybe 2 full seasons. Up to this point, probably less. I don't give him a pass on that because he has to stay on the field but you are being pretty liberal with that assessment. 

As far as based on what, Sam's ability to move and run makes him twice the QB the sitting duck Flacco is. Does Flacco run for a 40 yard TD as Sam did? He is better than Flacco. Only a hater would say otherwise. 

Flacco Monday looked like a competent professional NFL QB. Darnold has rarely done that. The fact that he was often hurt doesn't really change that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

... not that I'll give him a pass on that ... but I'm giving him a pass on that.

Sam has looked like a backup most games ... which is where he is headed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

I still think darnold can have a solid career also what concerns me more than his inconsistency on a team that time and time again we have failed to build is his injury history. He has not played every game in a season ever which is troubling. The last thing you want to do is get into the playoffs than lose your franchise qb to turf toe.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, Bugg said:

Flacco Monday looked like a competent professional NFL QB. Darnold has rarely done that. The fact that he was often hurt doesn't really change that. 

Flacco threw a back breaking pick to a double covered rookie WR with Griffen so open in the flat he could have set up a lounge chair. You call that competent?

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

... not that I'll give him a pass on that ... but I'm giving him a pass on that.emoji849.png

Sam has looked like a backup most games ... which is where he is headed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

The guy made a BS statement. There are a lot of reasons to give up on Sam but saying we have assessed him for 3 seasons isn't one of them.

23 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

No surprise that as usual you have nothing positive to add to the conversation.

For what it's worth I thought Herbert would be the best quarterback in his draft class. However he has not dealt with the same adversity Sam Darnold has. Not even close.

It's the typical cynical same old Jets fan.. Gase sucks, Darnold's a bust, JD sucks, fire everybody!

Next year the new head coach will suck, Trevor Lawrence is a bust, the Johnsons should sell the team, and we never should have traded Sam to the 49ers cuz they're 10-6! Lol

How about the fans suck and the media sucks? How good would you be at your job if all you ever heard from everyone around you is how much you suck?

?

you can defend Sam all you want.  no skin off my ass.

Problem with Sam is that he isn't gutsy. He can run (he did it a couple of weeks ago for a TD and showed nice moves and speed), but he never does. And you have to run sometimes if your offense stinks - you have to make plays with your legs to compensate, make something out of nothing once in a while. He never does. When I see Teddy Bridgewater diving around with his reconstructed knee; Fitzpatrick, the gutsiest and gamest qb I ever saw (I know everybody here hates him, but you have to admit he has balls);   I even remember Sanchez running around being a little athletic at the beginning.....   It's surprising that Darnold doesn't ever use his legs, which is a must if you want to extend possessions. Every other qb does it, if they are capable. I thought he didn't do it last year because of the mono, and he was  weak. Now I see, he just isn't a very reckless gutsy type. 

On 11/13/2020 at 12:30 PM, Greenbloodblitz said:

I'm also aware that the first time any of us tried to drive a car, cook a meal, play a guitar, or catch a fly ball... we pretty much sucked LOL!

Samhas never played football b4...   thats the new argument? what the hell is in your head? be well.

• Haha 1

On 11/13/2020 at 4:06 PM, Greenbloodblitz said:

I tend to agree with you and I do think that Gase has a pretty good eye for talent - much better than Bowles/Maccagnan did - and I agree with the program building message, but his lapses in coaching are too glaring to ignore.

Within 3 games Loggains has simplified the playbook and implemented more pocket movement, downfield passing, and pre-snap motion to try and simplify things for the QB. They're also all things that benefit Darnold more than anyone. Gase had spent the last 22 games mashing square pegs into round holes, with a few exceptions in 2019, and the fact that he was so committed to it just tells you everything you need to know about his coaching philosophy. 

I don't want the Jets to move off Sam Darnold. I feel it would be a mistake to do so, and the Jets are really in a no-win scenario... if the Jets trade Darnold, land Lawrence, and Darnold turns out being the better pro (even if Lawrence becomes good in his own right), it will be a stain on the franchise for decades. Similarly, if the Jets passed on Lawrence and he became the next "it" player with Darnold drifting towards irrelevance, it will be the most infamous moment in Jets history.

I realize that there is a lot of ominous stats to suggest he's a bust or will not prove to be a franchise QB. I also realize that he's the only QB in the NFL who has had such a deficient support system trifecta of injury/coaching/talent in their first 3 seasons, and being only 23 years old, I think he still has a bright future if he has just average talent with a coach willing to cater the offense to his skill set. The problem Douglas faces is risk. Should he risk not taking a QB because he thinks Sam will defy odds and become the franchise QB he's capable of being with only 1 year left on a cost-controlled contract, or does he accept that Sam may improve but takes a QB because its the safer/cost efficient bet (clean slate scenario). You also have to consider the coaching aspect... a coach who has never worked with Sam Darnold will not take the job if passing on Lawrence (and possibly Fields) is part of the plan. 

In many ways Sam controls his own destiny. Sam can put this all to bed if he just comes out and plays well. If he can play like Joe Flacco did last Monday, or like he has at times in 2018 and 2019, they will likely win a few games, eliminate themselves from #1 overall, and this won't be a topic in 2 months from now. If he improves but Jets still draft #1, the Jets likely move on from him but a team will seek to install him as their starter next year. If he continues playing the way he has, it will be hard for any team to bank on him being their starter in 2021, even if his struggles are not all his fault. 

On 11/13/2020 at 3:46 PM, Charlie Brown said:

To call Sam Darnold Bust based upon the Jets support or lack thereof is PREPOSTEROUS!!

I'm calling him a bust based on how he's played.  He's bad at football and was a high pick, and is therefore a bust.  

Preposterous, lol.  The only thing preposterous is operating under the belief that a QB gets to have a 3-year mulligan to start his career.  I feel sorry for those of you who still believe in Sam Darnold.  Total fantasyland garbage. 

FFS Alex Smith just played his first NFL game in 728 days, for a horrible team, and threw for over 300 yards.  And yet people still believe in Sam Darnold.  LOL.  

• Upvote 1