Darnold is NOT a bust

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have been a huge Darnold supporter. Flacco had a line with simplified blocking schemes that worked well and our 3 top receivers for the first time. Let's see what Darnold does in a similar situation and that will tell us a lot. I have been a huge Darnold supporter but I am really concerned at this point.

I agree.

I don't see Sammy as a bust, just unprotected and mishandled to this point.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has shown and done enough with so Little support to not be called that. Disappointing? Absolutely. Inconsistent? Sure?  In a crappy organization (passionate fans tho!) with no talent around him? Cl

Just call it a gut feeling, but I think this guy has a completely objective perspective when it comes to Darnold.

What an unfortunate life you have lived

Posted Images

11 hours ago, TeddEY said:

’Tis but thy name that is mine enemy:
What's Bust? It is not hand nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part.
What's in a name? That which we call a bottom three QB,
By any other name would still be terrible at quarterback.

Nice try :) 

7 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

So the guy, almost the entire NFL exclusively had going first overall besides the sh*t Browns, Is inconsistent and disappointing but somehow not a bust. Define bust (for an NFL player). 

Sh!t is getting darn-old now. 

Generally I think a bust busts out of the NFL pretty quickly and I think Sam will stick around for quite a while.  So disappointment yes, bust no.     

Darnold will ultimately bust out with the Jets, what he will become somewhere else is debatable.  But what isnt debatable is the lack of support this guy was given is criminal.  No one, anyone would have succeeded as a college QB to the pros with the support he was given, from coaching to yes, "weapons"

• Upvote 2

I don't think it matters what people label him. The fact of the matter is, he's regressed during a year when the Jets are in position to take one of the best college football prospects ever. Not only are they getting a better prospect, they're getting one on a rookie deal. That can't be undersold. This will give them the ability to sign and draft OL and WR. Combining that with a new coach, taking Lawrence is a no brainer.

For what its worth, I absolutely think the Jets ruined Darnold. I generally dont blame the team for a player being bad, but I've seen too much good from Darnold to believe that his regression was entirely his fault. I wouldnt be shocked if we see him go to a team and play significantly better. I'll certainly be rooting for him.

5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Tis Gase and Darnold share such limelight.

The reason Gase can't win is because Darnold sucks.

Last year, with a similarly injured and depleted roster, Gase went 6-2 because Darnold played like a Top 10 NFL quarterback.  This year, Darnold is playing like the worst quarterback in the NFL.  And it's not because of coaching; it's because he's stupid.  He can't remember the basic concepts that QB's are taught in junior high school.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Last year, with a similarly injured and depleted roster, Gase went 6-2 because Darnold played like a Top 10 NFL quarterback.  This year, Darnold is playing like the worst quarterback in the NFL.

Darnold had better players around him and a HS schedule when he went 6-2.  In spite of having the worst HC in the game since Kotite.

This year the Jets are not trying to win.

3 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I'm going to try to be objective here and support the OP.

Sam has not had a smooth ride. He's had to work through two different offenses. He's had personal injuries and the Jets have led the league in injuries for the last 2 years am I wrong?

Throw in Mono and the pandemic, and trying to center the offense around a washed-up Le'Veon Bell, whilst also dealing with the loudmouth box safety LOL.

Hey how about that offensive line? How about those injured starting wide receivers that he's yet to play with going into week 10?

Sam has played sloppy. I think he's frustrated and he's pressing. I'd say he's 23 years old and doesn't have the wisdom to know any other way than to put it all on his own shoulders and try even harder.

I will say this to some of you posters careful what you wish for. I can see Sam in a different Jersey doing just fine. Frisco, Pittsburgh, Indy... just a gut feeling.

Can you honestly say this kid's been given a fair chance? A decent even shot to show what he can do? I can't say yes.

I’ve been a big Sam supporter but at what point do the excuses end?

It’s a passing league, the rules are set up to score points. Rookies, late round draft picks  and backup QBs step in all the time with much better results. 

A good QB can elevate those around him. An average QB can make pre snap reads and find his open WRs.  While it’s not all his fault, Sam Darnold is not at this point an average  QB. 

• Upvote 2

P

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The reason Gase can't win is because Darnold sucks.

Last year, with a similarly injured and depleted roster, Gase went 6-2 because Darnold played like a Top 10 NFL quarterback.  This year, Darnold is playing like the worst quarterback in the NFL.  And it's not because of coaching; it's because he's stupid.  He can't remember the basic concepts that QB's are taught in junior high school.

SAR I

We should all get together and rent a billboard apologizing to Adam Gase. 

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Darnold had better players around him and a HS schedule when he went 6-2.  In spite of having the worst HC in the game since Kotite.

This year the Jets are not trying to win.

The Jets are not trying to win but Darnold surely is.

The team is tearing it down and rebuilding, in large part because they saw how bad Darnold was in the first few weeks, but that doesn't mean that individual players are mailing it in.  Especially on offense where they bust their asses each week and give their all.

Darnold just doesn't have it.  I wish he did.  I'm heartbroken.  I really thought we'd gotten our dream quarterback this time.  

SAR I

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

It’s a passing league, the rules are set up to score points. Rookies, late round draft picks  and backup QBs step in all the time with much better results. 

A good QB can elevate those around him. An average QB can make pre snap reads and find his open WRs.  While it’s not all his fault, Sam Darnold is not at this point an average  QB. 

Exactly.  And we saw Sam do this last year.  But this year?

* 4 months in lockdown with Jordan Palmer getting the most personal training in his life.

* 5 weeks of training camp where he didn't take a single hit due to cancelled preseason.

* Every position coach and coordinator returned to the team for the most continuity he's had in his life.

* Same playbook so he could be extremely comfortable and take the next step.

The pandemic set things up for young quarterbacks to thrive.  And they all are.  Except ours.  Because Sam is a dumb jock and can't overcome injuries and his own dumb mistakes like he did last year.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The Jets are not trying to win but Darnold surely is.

The team is tearing it down and rebuilding, but that doesn't mean that individual players are mailing it in.  Especially on offense where they bust their asses each week and give their all.

Darnold just doesn't have it.  I wish he did.  I'm heartbroken.  I really thought we'd gotten our dream quarterback this time.  

SAR I

What I said.  If JD and the Jets were trying to win, the team wouldn't have let their entire season go by without signing players to the offense or defense that could help them win.  They have more than enough cap space and openings to fill an entire team.  They let these units rot for next season .  Its obvious this is the plan.  

We have no idea whether Darnold had it or not, he was never given a chance to succeed.  Cant see how anyone knows what would have happened with the kind of support a J Allen has gotten.  And now with the 5th year option looming hes done.

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

What I said.  If JD and the Jets were trying to win, the team wouldn't have let their entire season go by without signing players to the offense or defense that could help them win.  They have more than enough cap space and openings to fill an entire team.  They let these units rot for next season .  Its obvious this is the plan.  

Yes, but their thought was that the youngsters on the team could gain good experience, the OL would be improved and, surely, would be better than last season because we wouldn't get hit with injuries like that again.  Unfortunately, we did.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We have no idea whether Darnold had it or not, he was never given a chance to succeed.  Cant see how anyone knows what would have happened with the kind of support a J Allen has gotten.  And now with the 5th year option looming hes done.

What we did see last year was Darnold go 6-2 and look like a Top 10 quarterback with a team with worse WR's, no TE's, and a worse OL.  So for him to struggle this year is a huge disappointment.  And what's holding him back are dumb things he should have corrected back in college like footwork, ball security, progressing through reads, breaking a huddle on time, throwing the ball away properly.  We can blame the Jets for a lot of things, but these are personal issues that he's had since forever and he isn't taking what he's taught and doing anything about it. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, but their thought was that the youngsters on the team could gain good experience, the OL would be improved and, surely, would be better than last season because we wouldn't get hit with injuries like that again.  Unfortunately, we did.

What we did see last year was Darnold go 6-2 and look like a Top 10 quarterback with a team with worse WR's, no TE's, and a worse OL.  So for him to struggle this year is a huge disappointment.  And what's holding him back are dumb things he should have corrected back in college like footwork, ball security, progressing through reads, breaking a huddle on time, throwing the ball away properly.  We can blame the Jets for a lot of things, but these are personal issues that he's had since forever and he isn't taking what he's taught and doing anything about it. 

SAR I

These things are like geometry.....either you get it or you don't.  At some point, teaching/coaching doesn't help any more. You have to have it in you. All things that  Morgan seems to have, by the way, which is why JD "wasted" a 4th rd pick on him. Just sayin........

• Post of the Week 2
12 hours ago, DarnoldHomer said:

He has shown and done enough with so Little support to not be called that. Disappointing? Absolutely. Inconsistent? Sure?  In a crappy organization (passionate fans tho!) with no talent around him? Clearly. Unimaginative and stubborn cross eyed coach? That’s true. 
But not a bust. Darnold has made plays that maybe 10 QBs in history of league have made. 
He’s made tight window Throws. He’s made power throws. Touch throws. On the run throws. Of course consistency and results matter. Busts don’t have talent or results. 

Jamarcus Russell is a bust. Ryan Leaf is a bust. Akili Smith is a bust. David Klinger is a bust. Darnold is NOT a bust. 

I am a big Darnold supporter but even I have to admit, he has become a bust for the Jets. There is no other way to describe it. He has played awful football this season, the worst he has ever played. I do agree he has made some great throws as a QB but he is now making unbelievably bad decisions and is not showing the progress we needed from him to show in his third year. If in year 4 we are eyeing the next shiny new toy at QB, that is a bust. 

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

He can't stay healthy & because of how many very important (every game is important to a learning QB) games Darnold has missed its always 1 step up, 2 steps back for Sam. We don't have anymore time to wait for Sam Darnold to get his head out of his azz. It started game 1 vs Buffalo. We're easily in that game if he can throw a simple out pattern on 3rd down for god sakes. We had 3 series early in that game that he missed wide open chain moving throws. It can't happen! Gardner Minshew makes those plays! 

He's still throwing into triple coverage with guys underneath wide open in All 22 reviews. He's still holding on to the ball & getting sacked (HURT) by not just throwing the ball at the RBs feet like other QBs do or throwing the ball out of bounds. He's still letting the clock hurry them up. Bottom line? He's still playing like a rookie! But he's he's going into his 4th year in 2021. 

The clock has run out on Sam Darnold here if we have the first or second pick in the 2021 draft. Honestly, I'm tired of the excuses for Sam because even though the Jets played a part, Sam also is guilty as well. Darnolds failure here is not 100% on the Jets. 

• Post of the Week 1
42 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

For me that's the issue. Sam has the physical tools to be a quality QB, its the mental aspect of the game that's not developing . 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, section314 said:

These things are like geometry.....either you get it or you don't.  At some point, teaching/coaching doesn't help any more. You have to have it in you. All things that  Morgan seems to have, by the way, which is why JD "wasted" a 4th rd pick on him. Just sayin........

Based on what we've seen from Darnold in his Jet career, it's not very far fetched to say Morgan might turn out to be a much better QB in the near future. 

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, Bugg said:

Bro! Bro? BRO!!!

Wish him no ill, but Darnold isn't it. Flacco playing well with a banged up OL against a well-coached if undermanned Pats team was an indictment. This is year 3, when the likes of Watson, Mahomes and Jackson came into their own. Yes, this team is bad, but it looks way worse with the 32nd rank QBR QB who wears #14.  I dunno, may be Darnold isn't that intense, may be the Jets CS has done him no favors, but that's all details. He isn't any good. 

Horrible comparison with Flaçco. Has Sam ever had Mims, Crowder and Perriman on the field at the same time? That is huge. The team we saw on Monday is not winless at this point. 

• Upvote 1

SAR1, did you really just say that WRers and TE are BETTER this year for Sam than last year. That’s patently untrue. He had a healthy Robbie A, Crowder and a TE who caught balls. (Griffen) 

This year hes had and XFL WR unit for all but one game and Herndon who has played like the worst TE in history of game. I wonder if staff told him, If a 3rd down play just drop it. Remember we’re tanking 

Edited by DarnoldHomer
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He can't stay healthy & because of how many very important (every game is important to a learning QB) games Darnold has missed its always 1 step up, 2 steps back for Sam. We don't have anymore time to wait for Sam Darnold to get his head out of his azz. It started game 1 vs Buffalo. We're easily in that game if he can throw a simple out pattern on 3rd down for god sakes. We had 3 series early in that game that he missed wide open chain moving throws. It can't happen! Gardner Minshew makes those plays! 

He's still throwing into triple coverage with guys underneath wide open in All 22 reviews. He's still holding on to the ball & getting sacked (HURT) by not just throwing the ball at the RBs feet like other QBs do or throwing the ball out of bounds. He's still letting the clock hurry them up. Bottom line? He's still playing like a rookie! But he's he's going into his 4th year in 2021. 

The clock has run out on Sam Darnold here if we have the first or second pick in the 2021 draft. Honestly, I'm tired of the excuses for Sam because even though the Jets played a part, Sam also is guilty as well. Darnolds failure here is not 100% on the Jets. 

This exactly

• Like 1

If I could trade Darnold for a 2nd and a 3rd I'd do it within a NY minute. 

Two 1st's. Two 2nd's. Three 3rds. 

I'd then use our first 7 picks on offense (6 around Trevor Lawrence) @ (in no specific order) WR/RB/LG/C/OT/TE. 

After signing a FA WR in either Allen Robinson/JuJu our offense will almost be complete; allowing us to use our two 2022 first rounders on Defense @ OLB/CB. 

5 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

If I could trade Darnold for a 2nd and a 3rd I'd do it within a NY minute. 

Two 1st's. Two 2nd's. Three 3rds. 

I'd then use our first 7 picks on offense (6 around Trevor Lawrence) @ (in no specific order) WR/RB/LG/C/OT/TE. 

After signing a FA WR in either Allen Robinson/JuJu our offense will almost be complete; allowing us to use our two 2022 first rounders on Defense @ OLB/CB. 

Will there be a new coach in this scenario?  Because I like this plan, which means it hasn't a shot in hell happening here.  It's sad the fans are better GM's than actual GM's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I have been a huge Darnold supporter. Flacco had a line with simplified blocking schemes that worked well and our 3 top receivers for the first time. Let's see what Darnold does in a similar situation and that will tell us a lot. I have been a huge Darnold supporter but I am really concerned at this point.

agreed !  8-).. Sam may end up Like  Jim Plunkett... drafted by a Terrible team but ends up with a much better team. Jim Plunkett finished his career with the raiders  Super Bowl champion (XV, XVIII), Super Bowl MVP (XV), NFL Comeback Player of the Year (1980).

we'll see..:beer:

Disinterested, 35 year old Joe Flacco looked far more competent on Monday night than Darnold has all season.  Yet some of you psycho Darnoldbros are out there crediting the "blocking scheme" and can't wait to see how Sam does out there with the same blocking. 

Spoiler alert:  He's not going to play well, and will figuratively sh*t his pants on the field like he has in every single start this season.  

Sam Darnold is a wimp who can't stay on the field and is a terrible QB.  Move the f**k on from him already.  It's all over.  And stop worrying about how he'll do elsewhere.  Just gladly accept the draft pick(s) we'll get for him and get ready for the Trevor Lawrence/Justin Fields show.  

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

C'mon...

lol.  And even if that were true, the handful of backyard plays he's made do not outweigh the dozens of head-scratching and f**king stupid decisions and throws he's already made in his 2.5 years in the league, in addition to his many 3-and-outs.  

The occasional "amazing throws" and highlight reels are not what make a franchise QB.  It's consistently making the "boring" throws that do that.  Darnold is incapable of this, and always will be.

46 minutes ago, kelly said:

agreed !  8-).. Sam may end up Like  Jim Plunkett... drafted by a Terrible team but ends up with a much better team. Jim Plunkett finished his career with the raiders  Super Bowl champion (XV, XVIII), Super Bowl MVP (XV), NFL Comeback Player of the Year (1980).

we'll see..:beer:

Now your pushing it. Plunkett was a much better prospect than Darnold. 

58 minutes ago, DarnoldHomer said:

SAR1, did you really just say that WRers and TE are BETTER this year for Sam than last year. That’s patently untrue. He had a healthy Robbie A, Crowder and a TE who caught balls. (Griffen) 

Well, this year he's had Crowder, Perriman, both Griffin and Herndon, and a rebuilt OL.  And he's in his second year in the same playbook.  It will be interesting to see what happens next week with Crowder, Perriman, and Mims on the field at the same time.

1 hour ago, DarnoldHomer said:

This year hes had and XFL WR unit for all but one game and Herndon who has played like the worst TE in history of game. I wonder if staff told him, If a 3rd down play just drop it. Remember we’re tanking 

I agree with it all, but I keep coming back to Darnold errors that have nothing to do with the quality of the roster around him.  Footwork, progressions, recognition, reads, when to throw the ball away, it's all stuff he should have learned a decade ago and he hasn't.  I just don't think he's smart.  He's never had a signature game.  He's never said anything insightful in a press conference.  He's a dud.

SAR I

You know what's great? Darnold will control his own destiny when he comes back after the BYE. 

If he doesn't elevate his play with a healthy supporting cast around him and the Jets go 1-15, it's over.

But if he does respond and plays at a level we hoped he could, he can save his future here.

It's all in his hands. Threads like this are just noise.